Thread: Ray Mears Hawthorne berry food

Default Ray Mears Hawthorne berry food

Has anyone tried making food from Hawthorne Berries as shown on one of Ray Mears programmes. (They're being repeated at the moment I think).
    I collected some today and tried it. At first I tried mashing them with the potato masher but it wasn't working very well so got stuck in with my hands as Ray had done on the programme.
    (Didn't tell me I'd end up with orange hands did he ) I then forced it through a sive to get out the juice and let it set in a bowl. After about half an hour it had set into a jelly form and I turned it out onto a plate. I sliced it up and it's now drying on the kitchen table. Ray sugested sun drying but it's trying to rain so may take longer befor it's ready to try. Hope it's and not . Ray said the taste was the nearest thing to sweets you could get, we'll see. (Wonder if the wife will try it first)

Everytime I see big hawthorn berries I think of that programme. Haven't tried making those biscuits yet but mean to. Let us know how it turns out.
    Eaten these berries raw since I was a kid(we called them "bread and cheese"), never in quantity though.
    Jim

We used to eat the new leaf shoots which we called "Bread & Cheese" !
    Wonder if the two together make up the bread & cheese. i.e. the bread being the new shoots and the cheese being the berry .
    Still not tried it as it's still a bit soft, wanted to wait till it's more "leathery". (or maybe I just putting off the tasting.)

Journal Entries

I've made hawthorn jelly a couple of times. Its very nice, I usually put it on a low simmer for a while then mash then strain then reheat with some sugar. Its very nice with savoury stuff.

I take it the stuff your making doesn't need cooked?

Let us know how it tastes,

you've reminded me I must go and get some rowan berries tommorrow, must get some hawthorn too.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

OK, here's the verdict on the taste test. well it was a bit disapointing, it didn't taste of much at all. I was expecting either something b awful or something not bad but it was just bland. Oh well it was worth trying.

Check out this thread on the itsnoteasybeinggreen forum.
    http://www.itsnoteasybeinggreen.org/...mears+hawthorn
    I shall have to learn how to create a link to another web page sometime.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
    OK, here's the verdict on the taste test. well it was a bit disapointing, it didn't taste of much at all. I was expecting either something b awful or something not bad but it was just bland. Oh well it was worth trying.
    How about if you look at it as a medicine, does that make it any more palatable? Hawthorns are fantastically good for your heart. I've not tried making it yet but hey should make a good jelly because they contain their own pectin.
    Also did you know the wood of a Hawthorn burns very well and produces one of the hottest wood fires.

Not sure about the medicine bit, I've had a stinking cold since I tasted it, ACHOOOO !!!!!. (sorry about that). I've decided to keep it untill winter time and then cut it up into little bits and feed it to the birds, should keep em going when the berries have all gone . Waste not want not my mum used to say.

Default Enjoy eating hawthorn berries

Hawthorne berries are a bit tasteless. Here is my method of enjoying few. Put a berry in your mouth, remove the stone with your teeth, spit it out and horde the mush in your cheek like a hamster.

Do this with five berries, and then pick half a dozen blackberries. Pop the lot in at once, chew it with the hawthorn and enjoy this pie-filler raw.

Hawthorn berries are supposed to be good for your heart and blood-vessals, but don't take my word for it.

John Nick