Thread: Menteith, Lake of

Default Menteith, Lake of

The Lake of Menteith (Scottish Gaelic "Loch Innis MoCholmaig"), or, until the 20th century, the Loch of Menteith, is a loch in Scotland, located on the Flanders Moss, the flood plain of the upper reaches of the rivers Forth and Teith, upstream of Stirling.

The are a number of small islands in the loch. On the largest, Inchmahome, is Inchmahome Priory, an ancient monastery. The priory served as refuge to Mary Queen of Scots in 1547. She was only four years old at the time and stayed for three weeks after the disastrous Battle of Pinkie Cleugh in September of that year.

The Loch is not particularly deep and can freeze over completely in exceptionally cold winters. If the ice becomes thick enough (10 inches) an outdoor curling tournament called The Bonspiel or the Grand Match is held on the loch. The event can attract thousands of curlers despite its rarity. The last Grand Match was held in 1979.

The Lake of Menteith is often thought of as the only body of water in Scotland that is referred to as a lake. Actually, there are three other small artificial bodies of water known as lakes: Pressmennan Lake, the Lake of the Hirsel and Lake Louise (within the grounds of Skibo Castle). All other major bodies of water in Scotland are known as lochs. This unusual name is believed to be a corruption of the Lowland Scots Laich o Menteith, where "laich" simply means "low place".

We headed to the Lake of Menteith today and put in at grid reference NN 587 006 (the public car park on the left hand side of the road once past the main tourist areas). A short portage across the road gives access to two or three small shingle shore areas where you can put in.

We headed straight for Inchmahome Island (on the right) and scouted round in a clockwise direction before stopping for a bite of lunch on the SW side.

Some walkers passed us while we were munching and everyone was very friendly and interested in the boat. We then headed round to the priory (on the North side).

As soon as we stepped on terra firma, we were approached by one of the ferry drivers for the national heritage who informed us that we shouldnt be on the water. He was polite enough but said that the lake was a Scottish site of scientific interest (SSSI!) and that there had been a government act passed to prevent public access. I did say that Id checked the access
    rights before leaving home but he shrugged and mumbled something about the fisheries wanting to protect their livelihood as its them that stocks the lake. I didnt want to point out that I doubted any fish had been killed or maimed by our paddling skills! We paid our 4.50 (per adult) fee for wandering around the priory before heading for the island SW of Inchmahome which has some other ruins on it - these ruins have subsided with time so approach at your own risk!

After that it was back to the put in point in pretty much a straight line. That route covered 4 miles and took in some cormorants and great crested grebes.
    Of all the wonders of nature, a tree in summer is perhaps the most remarkable; with the possible exception of a moose singing "Embraceable You" in spats. ~ Woody Allen

Journal Entries

I have heard a few people have been told that there is no access allowed on lake of Mentieth. This is not the case. Responsible access is allowed.

I've copied your post to a blogg of it's own as people are not allowed chat here and they always like to comment on bloggs

Posting a link here to a blogg is usually the best practise.
    John

Now doing for dog owners what I inflicted on canoeists
    www.DogWalkBloggs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Naiad View Post
    The Lake of Menteith is often thought of as the only body of water in Scotland that is referred to as a lake. Actually, there are three other small artificial bodies of water known as lakes: Pressmennan Lake, the Lake of the Hirsel and Lake Louise
    Not just three - there's also Raith Lake in Kirkcaldy!

I'm sure I was told, or read, that the word Lake was used at Menteith because of a reading error made by a Dutch cartographer who was, well, cartographing - the loch.

Making it thereby forever - a lake.

Ian
    That shall float upon the river,
    Like a yellow leaf in Autumn

from another angle

Default Lake of Mentieth

My daughter is an open water swimmer & I accompany her by Canadian Canoe. She & friend decided to do this one last summer.

The water smells quite strongly of fish & small rowing boats with outboards are everywhere. We were also told on the island that we shouldn't swim there, although people were friendly. On challenging the access rights it was admitted that the commercial angling interests just try to discourage it.

I went on this water 25 yrs ago when I stayed in one of the A frame log cabins by the shore.
    There was only fishing boats then.
    I have yet to return to this area.
    Maybe one day its such a beautiful place.

Is it the only body of water that has ( of ) in its name?
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

Went out on the lake today in our new sevylor hudson. Had a great time, stayed away from fishermen and they left us to it. Different story on the island though - we sat less than 20 ft from water and within 10 mins we were approached and asked to pay 5. I didn't have any money with me, left it in the car so couldn't pay even if i wanted to. The woman was nice enough when i offered to pay at opposite end, she actually said not to bother. All well we thought. Within another 10 mins an uppity englishman came over and insisted we leave, terrible attitude, and when i tried to explain we left from the car park (as photo above) and came straight to the island, seeing no signs warning of private property etc. He insisted it is clearly signed within the car park - I assumed i had missed it, apologised and left. Surprise Surprise, no sign in the car park.

I'm new to all this - can anyone tell me what my rights are here - to be honest we had no intrest in the priory, just stopped to eat our sandwiches. I'm no trouble maker but if the law allows, i'd definetley go back.
    Thanks in advance

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by baldscot View Post
    Went out on the lake today in our new sevylor hudson. Had a great time, stayed away from fishermen and they left us to it. Different story on the island though - we sat less than 20 ft from water and within 10 mins we were approached and asked to pay 5. I didn't have any money with me, left it in the car so couldn't pay even if i wanted to. The woman was nice enough when i offered to pay at opposite end, she actually said not to bother. All well we thought. Within another 10 mins an uppity englishman came over and insisted we leave, terrible attitude, and when i tried to explain we left from the car park (as photo above) and came straight to the island, seeing no signs warning of private property etc. He insisted it is clearly signed within the car park - I assumed i had missed it, apologised and left. Surprise Surprise, no sign in the car park.

I'm new to all this - can anyone tell me what my rights are here - to be honest we had no intrest in the priory, just stopped to eat our sandwiches. I'm no trouble maker but if the law allows, i'd definetley go back.
    Thanks in advance

Scott
    Went for my first paddle in new to me boat today, hi everyone I'm new here, and had a great time. Did both Islands with no hassle as the boat trips aren't running yet.
    I was approached on getting out by the chief ghille from the fishery who was very civil and we chatted through the access agreement. His only request was that canoeists contact the fishery before launching to try to prevent contamination by bugs/creatures from other waterways/lochs (Gartmorn Dam has nasty bugs apparently). This was to protect the fish from disease. Kinda fair enough I guess but I did read up on my access code and we should have free access unless there is a local council bylaw to prevent it. He said he would put a contact number on the fisheries website.
    I did not however have the "right" to visit the priory as it is a "visitor attraction or other place which charges for entry". Ah well.
    So as far as I can gather we can canoe there, but it would be polite to contact the fishery first, but if we visit the priory we should probably pay presumably at a reduced rate because we wouldn't use the boat.

Andy.

Cheers Andy, I received an e-mail from SCA saying similair - also that this is an ongoing problem in the hands of their solicitors.

Good shout about checking in 1st re: contamination etc, more awareness of this could be the solution to a problem which shouldn't exist.

I'm staying on the lake at 'Lochend (sic) Chalets' at the end of the lake (sic). Lovely spot to spend the week and enjoy the view each evening. I've been given disinfectant for my canoe by the owners who are understandably keen to keep in with the fisherman. Apparently there was a big fish death a few years ago and an infection from visiting boats was thought to be the source. I guess a once over with disinfectant doesn't seem toohigh a price to pay to help aavoid this.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

Moderate to poor, becoming good

Crow Trip Log