BOW HEIGHT 21 inches
    ROCKER 2½ inches

CONSTRUCTION -
    Hand-built Glass Fibre
    Speretex Hull
    Fitted out in Hardwood
    Stainless Fixings

PERFORMANCE - Unbeatable
    Last edited by Chrish; 11th-June-2007 at 11:02 PM.

Assuming this is the canoe made by Alan Bridges, I have had one of his high quality 16 ft fibreglass boats - I think the "classic", the predecessor to the Birch Creek, for about fourteen years. Very fast, magnificant workmanship (superb mahogany wooden fittings), hull is a deep glossy green or in my case white on the bottom from all the scratches after the Spey. It really does put plastic boats in the shade for speed and tracking although my skill level is not high enough to take it down rocky rivers without taking chunks out of it. I thinK Alan now prefers to make them in white.
    PWC

Journal Entries

Default Birchcreek

I can only agree that Alan Bridges makes the best canoes. Yes I have one, not sure of its name but it is not the 16 ft version, but still bliss to paddle.

I met Alan last Sunday whilst paddling off the Pembrokeshire coast. he confirmed that he is still building.

Bob

4. Default

Why on earth anyone wants to paddle a plastic washing-up bowl when you could have one of Alan Bridges' works of art for the same price or often cheaper is beyond me. I love my 16' Birch Creek, as may be obvious. It is a thorough-bred masterpiece and a testament to Alan's skill and craftsmanship. Use your folded sheet of bent plastic for rock-bashing and buy a Birch Creek for soul-paddling on a higher level.

Question information

Quote Originally Posted by Birch Creek View Post
    Why on earth anyone wants to paddle a plastic washing-up bowl when you could have one of Alan Bridges' works of art for the same price or often cheaper is beyond me. I love my 16' Birch Creek, as may be obvious. It is a thorough-bred masterpiece and a testament to Alan's skill and craftsmanship. Use your folded sheet of bent plastic for rock-bashing and buy a Birch Creek for soul-paddling on a higher level.
    I am thinking of buying a 16ft birch creek to solo- any information you can give me would be most welcome-is the colour just a gel coat? scratching a problem? is there a pronounced seam down the centre? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by anglian paddler View Post
    I am thinking of buying a 16ft birch creek to solo- any information you can give me would be most welcome-is the colour just a gel coat? scratching a problem? is there a pronounced seam down the centre? Thanks!
    Any boat will become scratched if you use it, whatever the construction.

Seam? No!

Thumbs up Birch Creek 16 Ft

Dear Anglian Paddler

If it's not too late then do it. I've had mine for about 7 years and love it. The build quality is superb. My decision was based on advice from Paul Mills who said if buying your own go for Glass (GRP), and a review I saw in Canoe focus. I wanted one boat to do it all, and yet maintain the abilty to to all the traditional elements of the sport. Too long (solo) WW becomes difficult, but too short and poling is hard work etc. I am very happy with my choice.

Think about what you want to do. If you are pushing Grades without wanting to worry about your kit then plastic might be the answer. (Or a kayak).

It is a great solo boat that is relatively easily manoeverable (and light enough to carry on your own). I have paddled plenty of flat water but also up to grade 3 with care (short sections with easy run outs). Not that I am a guru but I am worried about damage to the boat. In reality, and from the traditionalist point of view, damaging or losing your boat (and your gear) would be unforgivable so you would ineveitably look after it and use other methods when necessary, i.e. snub, line, portage etc.

Depending on what I am doing I sometimes slide an etherfoam saddle under the centre thwart but this (potentially) limits your ability to move around and vary trim. Its fun though.

I think Alan used to make a shorter solo boat but 16 gives a degree of flexibility. I can take my three children with me for example or you can paddle tandem and carry (plenty of) camping gear.

On the down side it does require a little maintenance compared to a plastic barge. The wood should oiled occasionally (having said that I have never done it!). It has taken some biggish knocks but small dings and chips are easily filled with resin. You might consider adding skid plates (but these are really ugly). Surprisingly White is a great long lasting colour and once wet doesn't show up the scartches like a coloured boat might do. Mine is blue on the inside though green might be a good choice.

It has served me well and continues to do so, and I am really pleased I bought it (much cheaper than plastic at the time as well).

Hope that helps.

Woody

The birch creek canoe doesn't seem to be running anymore - anyone know if alan is still making them?

DanDan

If not and you still want to go for one of these superb quality boats, get in touch with Mega. Malcolm has 14' and 16' molds developed by Alan and the build quality is superb, GRP or Kevlar.

Journal Entries

Default Birch Creek Canoes

Hi,

As far as I know he stills makes them. Bit of law unto himself is Alan. We see him occasionally when down Cardigan way - I,ll try to find out. It would be a shame if he has decided to stop. However I guess the surf has been good and he,s busy riding the waves.

Bob Andrews

Default Birch Creek Canoes

I have placed an order with Alan and as far as i know he is still producing them-i certainly hope so!
    Thanks Woodford for your input-re assuring!

Quote Originally Posted by DanDan View Post
    The birch creek canoe doesn't seem to be running anymore - anyone know if alan is still making them?

DanDan
    Sorry anglian paddler didnt meanto panick you, what I meant to say was the website isn't running anymore. Is there a new one?

I still like to thnk I'll get one of these one day, they really are lovely thing.

Default Birch Creek Canoe

Hi reply to whether Alan Bridges is still making the canoe, well i spoke to him a year ago,and im not sure why the website has gone down, but he sponsored me and a friend last year to do the Devizes to Westminster Canoes Marathon which is 125 miles long in his own single canoe which is a birch creek it was brilliant. we payed to put Birch creek canoes on both sides of the canoe while doing the marathon to get him promotion for his company and it worked, the website may be under more construction, if you want i think i have his adress somewhere you could always get in touch with him

Default birch creek

Dear Starey 19,
    I would very much appreciate any hints tips etc that you can pass on as i am planning to do the dev to westminster in 2009 when i am 60 and need all the help i can get!
    I am hoping to tandem paddle an open possibly a peace river cruiser-although i suppose we could use my shiny new birch creek as should have received it by then!
    Regards Dave/anglian paddler
    Keep in a dry place and away from children

Default Birch Creek

I would echo all that has been said about Alan Bridges. i paddled his boats a lot in the mid.. late '90's.......they were always superb build quality and a delight to paddle.
    I did my 5 star assessment in his 13'6" solo boat, now there is a story.
    I keep meaning to call him to see about another one of his works of art, simply superb...........and what a lovely guy, to think he started out making surf boards in the late 60's
    To travel alone is a risky business, especially in the wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them.

Dear Starey 19,
    I would very much appreciate any hints tips etc that you can pass on as i am planning to do the dev to westminster in 2009 when i am 60 and need all the help i can get!
    I am hoping to tandem paddle an open possibly a peace river cruiser-although i suppose we could use my shiny new birch creek as should have received it by then!
    Regards Dave/anglian paddler
    Thankyou i would be honoured to give you some hints and tips just need to know really are you planning to do this alone or with another paddler and if so with someone else are you steering or at the front?

Default hints

i am paddling in tandem-in assume we may rotate positions-is this a good idea? or are we better staying put-first training run tomorrow as tides are perfect on the deben.regards dave

i am paddling in tandem-in assume we may rotate positions-is this a good idea? or are we better staying put-first training run tomorrow as tides are perfect on the deben.regards dave
    If you are both good at steering then it would be at an advantage to you
    because i was at the front of the canoe and i found that constant padlding at the front really did not give your legs any good because there is no feet space for them to move, i mean on the first day you will probably be ok but when there is long peroids of time without a portage for you to get out and stretch your legs your legs will sease up you will get leg cramp and there is nowhere to move them.

Throughout the marathon your arms really dont hurt that much but there were times on my first day when i thought why am i doing this, and wanted to just give up but then i thought there is no point after all of this training.

What you really need to do is be confident that both of your steering is good because the size of the wiers on this marathon is just bloody ridiculous they are like the legth of a football stadium and you need to be a strong paddler to keep clear from them. As i was told at the start of the race 'Your insane it is suicide to do this marathon in a canoe, GOOD LUCK but keep clear of the wiers, people die in this marathon we dont want casualties this year'. Not exactly morral support i know but that advice stayed in my mind throughout the marathon.

Default DW Race

Dear Starey 19,
    Thanks for your concern re weirs!-how did you get on with the birch creek-i imagine being stiffer than a plastic boat it should be faster?
    Did you do it non stop or day by day for 10hrs i think-means keeping up a good speed-doing 4mph in a tandem is about the norm i would have thought and we would have to paddle significantly faster than that to allow for portages.
    What paddles did you use-i suppose something the size of a shovel would take its toll on your back muscles!
    Thanks for your help dave

Angry Alan Bridges

I telephoned Alan this morning he tells me that due to illness through working with glass fibre he has indeed retired.

What a shame.

I spoke with Alan only the once but he seems like a thoroughly decent chap. Best wishes to him in his retirement and sorry to hear his craft has effected his health,

22. Default

Catching up with this thread again, I'm saddened to hear of Alan's enforced retirement. He is indeed a very friendly and helpful chap as well as being a perfectionist as a canoe builder.

Best wishes, Alan and enjoy the surfing!

Default Quality canoe shape

After such a long lapse in this thread, I almost hesitate to add anything.

I was glad to hear that there are so many paddlers who treasure boats like this. Not trying to be a snob, but I agree that a fine-lined fiberglass or fiberglass Kevlar boat that keeps its shape beats plastic boats on all scores except bashability.

Excepting wood-canvas of course, I believe my fiberglass/Kevlar boat is much truer to the original shape. It is thoroughly "leanable" plus is light and sensitive to all the strokes I know.

I have one "bathtub" Disco 158 that gets the nod if the going is going to get rough, but for the pure fun of paddling, boats that have great lines and shape are what canoeing is all about. Agree on being nervous about damaging my boat, so I seldom run class III+ rapids.

Default Birchcreek is back :-)

Hi All,

Not that I'm new to paddling or Song of the Paddle, but I am new in the sense of finally joining the website .

You may also notice that my name is registered as Birchcreek, which some of you will recognise and think that I'm taking liberties... Well there is a reason for this......

Birchcreek Canoes is back up and running

The infamous Birchcreek Canoe, designed and hand build by the equally infamous Alan Bridges is taking a new breath of life.

Many of you will know that Alan stopped building his canoes a couple of years back due to ill health. Things are now more settled and you'll be pleased to hear that Alan is well, and enjoying his retirement, continuing to paddle and surf whenever the weather allow.

To explain further, my name is Kevin Griffiths, and I am Alan's son-in-law. When Alan stopped building his canoes, it seemed such a shame that a generation of beautiful craft and skills were being lost, and I always had a hope that one day it may be resurrected.

Well that day has finally come, and Alan and I are currently in the process of building the first boats from his original moulds, and as such Alan is generously passing on his skill and knowledge and closely guarded secrets in the "black art" and alchemy of canoe building the Birchcreek way.

My hope is to continue to build and provide beautiful hand-crafted canoes under the Birchcreek banner and, Alan's watchful eye offcourse, for a number of years to come.

So please spread the word, and watchout for the new web-page which will be online shortly. I'll provide a link in due course. In the meantime, if you want to know more - please call 07807 529046.

Thanks and happy paddling.
    Kev

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

Looks a wonderful boat.

What sort of price range will it be?

Fine words butter no parsnips

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

Default Birch Creek canoes

Hi kev,

I have had my Birchcreek for some years now - not really sure which model. However it has been a dream to paddle.

I mostly use it on non whitewater rivers. Mainly on the Teifi from say Cenarth to Patch, The Cleddau, Tywi and coastal paddling. Both John Fenna and Mick Wall also own Birchcreek.

I have no ideas for improving the boats - just keep up the craftmanship of Alan and all will be well. The only fault I have had is the screws holding the brass deck plate have sheared.

There may be a small market for say a 17ft model for journeying, but the 16ft already seems to do this well enough.

Best of luck

Here's a picture of the name plate I had made for mine all those years ago - if "Birchcreek" or Alan himself is looking !

PWC

Default Looking Great...

Yep - it's lovely to see Alan's canoes being used for what they were designed, and also looked after so well

Just been on the Cleddau for a few days - lovely paddling and so quiet - only a couple of small sailing vessels for the whole time we were out.

Happy days
    Kev

Default Good Luck!

I have a 15 year old 16' Alan Bridges.
    Great to hear the good work is continuing.

So has anyone got hold of of a new one recently, it would be good to hear some thoughts. is a website up and running yet?

Thumbs up New Birchcreek

Hi Dan,

Yep - I have a new one... Its my first one out of the mould, and I christened it on Monday on a brief trip on the Teifi

In my opinion - it's the mutts, but then again I would say that wouldn't I.

I've just taken my first order, and I will ask the owner to post his views when he receives it.

In the meantime - if you are anywhere near Cardigan - then let me know and you can take one out yourself for a try...

All the best
    Kev

Thumbs up Website

PS. Website is still under review and re-construction. I'm a bit slow on this - but it will come...

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Birchcreek View Post
    Hi Dan,

Yep - I have a new one... Its my first one out of the mould, and I christened it on Monday on a brief trip on the Teifi

In my opinion - it's the mutts, but then again I would say that wouldn't I.

I've just taken my first order, and I will ask the owner to post his views when he receives it.

In the meantime - if you are anywhere near Cardigan - then let me know and you can take one out yourself for a try...

All the best
    Kev
    Can we see some pics so I can compare it with my vintage one ?

PWC
    PWC

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    Can we see some pics so I can compare it with my vintage one ?

PWC
    yep you don't think were gonna let you get away with that do you??

Pics please and thanks for the invite.

Dan

Pictures please! Please?

Really fancied one of these when Alan was still making and think it's great that you picked up the baton and are off and running .

Well done indeed!

Graeme
    Chaste Snow-drop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
    And pensive monitor of fleeting years!

Thumbs up Ok Ok...

Thanks again for the support and well wishes - it's really appreciated...

And yes - I will get some piccies up here asap for all to see my new addition to the family

Watch this space

Exclamation Pictures ???

I've got some pictures ready and waiting - but I'll be if I can find a way to post them??? I feel like road-kill on the information super-highway!!

I checked in FAQ's and apparently I should find a "Manage Attachments" icon/button here somewhere which allows me to upload from my computer - and also tells me what size they need to be??

Can anybody please Heeeeeeeeelllllllp!!!

Cheers,

Kev

Journal Entries

try this, a lot of reading but all the detail is there to let you crawl to the hard shoulder and staunch the bleeding

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

I've got some pictures ready and waiting - but I'll be if I can find a way to post them
    Have you ever taken a look at Picasa (my preference), Flickr or Photobucket?

These are photo sharing options (I'm sure others exist)... and if you want to share digital images with others they are well worth investigating. Picasa (for instance) is a great way of managing your photos on your PC... and all you do to share them is select images in click "upload" - your images are transferred to (free) webspace (as public, shared by a link or password protected).

These are all worth investigating in their own right... but once your photos are uploaded, sticking them on a forum (pretty much any forum) is really very easy - on this site you just click "insert image" and enter the right link!

Thumbs up Pictures of my New Birchcreek

Thanks for the advice on posting pictures...

OK - hope this works...?
    (Still not sure on how to get "bigger pictures" up - but I'm working on it!)

This is my new (and first) Birchcreek
    16ft "standard" Birchcreek, but I have "pulled it in" from the standard 32" - just out of personal preference - as you can see from Alan's boat alongside...
    I love the way it handles - tracks beautifully, but still spins on a penny
    2 seats and a kneeling thwart, as I will probably spend most of time solo - running trips and coaching etc.
    This will be my daily "work-horse" (buoyancy bags on order), so I'll let you know how it fairs up.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out considering it's my first build from scratch and the Birchcreek stable. It received Alan's "blessing", and that makes it even better

Hope you like it

Happy days,
    Kev

Looks really good. I know you have only just got to grips with adding pictures but any chance of making them a more viewable size?

Don't ask much do I

Dan

Default on tenterhooks

for a price or a picture!!!

and yes, I've a suggestion on improvements to the narrow hull that mega are also turning out. It handles shallow rivers and WW best with the gunwales spread a bit, but this isn't at all healthy for the lay-up (the wrong kind of tension), or for strength when you find yourself pounding in an irish sea swell... so: why not either spread the gunwale on a mold, or use the original drawings (if you have them) or lines to make another mould with the gunwale-spread rocker built-in. The boat that comes out of either could have the gunwales brought in sharply to produce a low-rocker high-tumblehome flatwater rocket, or left as it is to be it's own sweet carving self.

You could even make a narrower version still to please those that have learnt their sense of balance from the liffey boat and want to go to warp speed...

Can anyone tell me if there's a viable 'production line' on these boats, or any prospect of one?

As has been said, it would be good to see pictures or price, even some rudimentary stuff on a basic website encouraging contact? (fraid I can't see the pics in the earlier post).

PM Kev @ Birch Creek.... Alans son in Law I believe

Hi Davidwhiteboat,

Thanks for the comments - however - I can't comment on the hulls that mega are turning out. There's a story behind this which I can't get to the bottom of - i.e. which mould they have, whether it actually came from Alan's stable or not, and whether they may have changed any aspects since they have had it. Unfortunately Alan (due to his condition) can not remember the episode!!

However - ther are a number of ways in which either the moulds or the final canoes / lifts can be modified to accomodate the paddlers needs. One of the questions I will always ask first of any person enquiring about Birchcreek Canoes is what type of paddling they wish to do, and what type of water they intend to paddle. The canoe can then be tailored to suite their needs, paddling style, anticipated outings and water conditions.

Whilst we all aspire to find the single canoe that will do everything perfectly for us - the reality is quite different. However - saying that, much depends on paddling ability and skill level, and - if only having one canoe - being happy to accept the limitations accordingly. If we were all lucky enough to have stable of boats for different conditions - then happy days await :-)

Cheers,
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Davidwhiteboat View Post
    for a price or a picture!!!

and yes, I've a suggestion on improvements to the narrow hull that mega are also turning out. It handles shallow rivers and WW best with the gunwales spread a bit, but this isn't at all healthy for the lay-up (the wrong kind of tension), or for strength when you find yourself pounding in an irish sea swell... so: why not either spread the gunwale on a mold, or use the original drawings (if you have them) or lines to make another mould with the gunwale-spread rocker built-in. The boat that comes out of either could have the gunwales brought in sharply to produce a low-rocker high-tumblehome flatwater rocket, or left as it is to be it's own sweet carving self.

You could even make a narrower version still to please those that have learnt their sense of balance from the liffey boat and want to go to warp speed...

Default Birchcreek Canoes

Hi,

Sorry - but there is no production run on these canoes at the moment for 2 main reasons...
    a. I've not had the time - been busy building to order.
    b. I want to enusre that each boat is tailored to suit each persons needs.

In my humble opinion, there are already so many producers building to repetitive specs flooding the market with a huge variety of boats. I would like to attempt to ensure that each boat is build around the users needs and specs creating a unique one off canoe.

Hance the reason why no production run as such.

I'm always happy to discuss the specs, needs build options and thereby the price. I can also email on pictures and details as required.

I am hoping to build a web site in the next few months..

Hop[e that helps,
    best Regards,
    Kev

Hope this helps - best regards

Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    Can anyone tell me if there's a viable 'production line' on these boats, or any prospect of one?

As has been said, it would be good to see pictures or price, even some rudimentary stuff on a basic website encouraging contact? (fraid I can't see the pics in the earlier post).

Kev, it is wonderful to hear from Birchcreek again.

Hi Davidwhiteboat,

[...] One of the questions I will always ask first of any person enquiring about Birchcreek Canoes is what type of paddling they wish to do, and what type of water they intend to paddle. The canoe can then be tailored to suite their needs, paddling style, anticipated outings and water conditions.
    Cheers,
    Kev
    Well , for style I have in mind emulating Alan on the Liffey descent: ie paddling solo in the Omer/Mason style, with similar manouverability to a chestnut pleasure model or prospector, only faster. This is crucial for going against the flow on moving water which opens up more day trips, and it is more fun for river touring too: go further. Anticipated outings: three week long trips in the year and countless day paddles (I'm mad enough to have been on the cleddau today, Burton to Black Tar and back by way of every creek and boatyard). Rarely, I'll take an engine (human) to paddle doubles, but the benefit of having a fast responsive boat narrower and shallower than the norm is that I can handle it against tide and wind solo, with kit bag trimming. I solo paddle WW up to grade III, the sea unless lots of whitecaps or very steep chop, and anything else, and I *can* do this in the same boat, which I currently own until I've knackered it, and which I understand to be the design in which Alan won the liffey descent. I'm thinking forward to its replacement - perhaps I might sell my current one to finance something scratch free.

Now, the last time I saw Alan (2006?), he showed me a green 16ft canoe with his trademark sapele fit out and the FRP end caps shared with some other manufacturer, with in big white letters down the side 'Birchcreek canoe'. That canoe was introduced to me as the sister of my boat and as being as an early Alan hull design in which he won the liffey descent. That green hull came -looking at the thing I would stake my life on it - out of the same mould (or out of a mould off the same plug) as my current carbon-kevlar. The only differences being the layup (WR/CSM), Alan's joinery, and an extra couple of inches of depth. Alan said he was repairing a nick/void in the stem so that he could lend it to some scouts for the Devizes and Westminster race. Otherwise the boat was (unlike mine, sadly) in A1 nick. Find that boat, maybe even find those DW scouts for 2005/6/7, and Birchcreek has the necessary plug for working up a replacement boat for me. Alan may even have another somewhere... though the likelyhood is that the original plug/mold have gone either into the hedgerow or into heaven.

Default I might have just the thing...

Hi Davidwhiteboat,

Thanks for the insight - it's great to get to hear the stories...
    Alan has a wish to go and do the Liffey again maybe next year - so watch this space...

Regards boats and moulds, working through your story - and if I decipher it correctly, you may be surprised to hear that I still have the mould from which his Liffey winning boat was made; and the moulds from which his follow on boats were made (so probably the canoe you saw!) in varying lengths! Indeed these are the moulds I am now using. Anything else just wouldn't be an Alan Bridges Birchcreek.

Maybe we could meet up later in the year and go for a paddle. In time I hope to have 1 each of the boats "standard fit" as demo's for people to try.

Cheers,
    Kev

Find that boat, maybe even find those DW scouts for 2005/6/7, and Birchcreek has the necessary plug for working up a replacement boat for me. Alan may even have another somewhere... though the likelyhood is that the original plug/mold have gone either into the hedgerow or into heaven.

Kevin,

Fantastic - all of that. I will want to meet up and paddle your demos ASAP! And even without the demo it might be nice to see another canoe on the water in the cilgerran gorge sometime. Are you likely to be contactable if there is suddenly some good weather? Try giving us a private message, if you like.

David

Hi Davidwhiteboat,

Thanks for the insight - it's great to get to hear the stories...
    Alan has a wish to go and do the Liffey again maybe next year - so watch this space...

Regards boats and moulds, working through your story - and if I decipher it correctly, you may be surprised to hear that I still have the mould from which his Liffey winning boat was made; and the moulds from which his follow on boats were made (so probably the canoe you saw!) in varying lengths! Indeed these are the moulds I am now using. Anything else just wouldn't be an Alan Bridges Birchcreek.

Maybe we could meet up later in the year and go for a paddle. In time I hope to have 1 each of the boats "standard fit" as demo's for people to try.

Cheers,
    Kev

Thumbs up Birchcreek Canoes Update...

Better late than never - Happy New Year to you all from Birtchcreek Canoes, and thanks for your support in 2009 during my shaky efforts to get Birchcreek up and running.

Just a quick update...
    I'm currently in the process of moving to a new house (which needs some renovating), and following moving in and building a new workshop, hope to move the Birchcreek to the new location.
    Unfortunately, my temporary accomodation does not have any internet access, so apologies in advance for any delays in responding to any emails or enquiries. I will try and log-on whenever I can and reply accordingly.

The upside is that the new premises is very close to the Teifi river - which is exciting and very useful when it comes to trying out boats or nipping out for a quick paddle of an evening (if I ever get the time...).
    The downside is that this will take my time away from canoe building for a couple of months, but will result in a better set-up when I get through it all...

As was the intention in re-kindling Birtchcreek Canoes, my wish is to continue to build individual and unique one-off Birchcreek Canoes using Alan's original moulds and techniques, to a high standard of finish and to owners specifications.

This is more a genuine love of Canoeing and a wish to keep Alan's Birchcreek heritage alive than wanting to create a big manufacturing business.

So in the meantime, Happy Paddling for 2010, and I look forward to seeing you out there...

Thanks for your patience in advance over the next few months...
    Cheers,
    Kev

51. Default

any website yet?

52. Default

and is it up and running yet?

Default @ Birchcreek (aka Kevin Griffiths)

Hi Kevin

I've read this thread with keen interest, and I'd very much like to discuss a spec for a new Birchcreek with you.

Are you in business?

Cheers

Andy the HighlandBimbler

Hi Andy,

I've replied to your private message - hope you got it...

Cheers,
    Kev

Default Hi kev

How do i contact you to enquire about your canoes? Thanks

As was the intention in re-kindling Birtchcreek Canoes, my wish is to continue to build individual and unique one-off Birchcreek Canoes using Alan's original moulds and techniques, to a high standard of finish and to owners specifications.

This is more a genuine love of Canoeing and a wish to keep Alan's Birchcreek heritage alive than wanting to create a big manufacturing business.
    Dear Kevin,

Will you also be offering plans for the Birch Creek Malamut self-build canoe?
    [http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200...uk/malamut.htm]

Regards,

Jaap

Anyone frustrated by inability to see pics of Birch Creek canoes can spend some time perusing the one man canoe design and building efforts of Jon Kazimeircek, "Kaz", who has been producing a variety of designs in New England while also dominating the open canoe slalom championships. Kaz makes very light composite boats with S-glass outside, Kevlar inside, and Spheretex reinforcement for stiffness. That's one in my avatar. See more at:

millbrookboats.com

Default Birch Creek contact details

Does any one have contact details for Birch Creek Canoes? Phone number or e mail would be good

59. Default

I've received a few emails about supplying Birch Creek canoes, please note I am not Birchcreek (Kev).

I am Birch Creek (Steve). No association at all with Birchcreek Kev, I just paddle my 16' Birch Creek that Alan made for me a few years ago.

Hope Kev can maintain production of these fine boats.

Thanks to you all for the comments above and apologies for any frustrations caused by apparent "disappearing from the planet"!!

This has simply been down to a very busy 12 months - complete renovation of and moving into a moving house (not complete); an 8 month old daughter (light of my life - but a complete drain on any "spare time"; having to take on full time employment to fund the above; and a complete failing so far to move the canoe building workshop into my garden (to allow me to sneek out in the dark of night and continue building!!!)
    Anyway -that's no excue for at least letting you all know the score - apologies!

So in answer to some of the above, yes - I fully intend to continue to build Alan's Birchcreek Canoes again, on a bespoke, built-to-order basis (no mass production) hopefully starting towards the end of 2012; no - I have not posted a website yet (I saw little point knowing that I was not in a position to supply) and yes - the self build plans for the Malamut are still available.

Hope that paints the picture - and all in all life is good and will be better when I can build canoes again full time :-)

If you wish to contact me - please send me a private message and I will reply :-)
    I hope you've all been having some great paddling,
    Kind Regards,
    Kev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast