Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best head torch out there?

Default What is the best head torch out there?

I am looking to buy a new head torch

In the perfect world it would
    have a long battery life
    a bright light
    a low weight
    be water proof
    and be comfy

Is there such a beast?

Well I can help narrow your search for you. Its either a Petyl or a Princeton Tech LED headtorch.
    I have used petzyls for years, and they keep getting better and better. I have nver tried the Princeton Tech ones but have it on good authority they are very good.

For me - Petzyl Tikka plus or Tac Tikka (Tac Tikka has a reed filter) - 4 LED, 3 brightness settings and a flashing mode. THey are small and comfy, run off 3 AA's which are easy to get hold of and replace, and last for errrr ages - months for me using it every night to walk the dog. An excelent bit of kit.

The new petzyl is the Tikka XP (reviewed in the BCUK magazine.....) Which has an ultra bright 5 watt LED, and a slide over diffuser. These offer a better beam if you need it. I don't own one myself, but from what i have seen they are very good.

Iam very happy with my Tac Tikka ta

Rich

Default Head torches

I have been testing a Princeton Tec EOS headtorch for the poast six months.
    I am very impressed with it and has accompanied me on all the trips/courses I have run since then.
    Points I like:

Incredibly bright
    Has three settings that work and a flash too - LED 25 Lumens
    Is really waterproof - (guaranteed to I metre)
    It says it has up to 60hrs burn time - this is with the lowest setting - I have yet to change the batteries but I do choose the correct strength of
    beam for the job.
    it is not the lightest (105g) but I believe it is worth the extra g's for
    the quality and longevity.

if you really want a lightweight one the Scout model is good but not as bright (5.25 Lumens) but at only 46g it is a good buy and disappears into any corner of a pocet let alone a sac. Mine sits in my PSK.

Jeremyh
    love many, trust few and paddle your own canoe

Have you tried paddling with a head torch?
    Every time my hand comes up I blind myself!

tape a torch to the canoe for paddling at night.
    Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue
    Have you tried paddling with a head torch?
    Every time my hand comes up I blind myself!

tape a torch to the canoe for paddling at night.
    I prefer to use night vision (my own, not some NATO cast off!) Mind you, I do bump into things when my aging eyesight lets me down, but that is the fun of night paddling.
    Scares the hell out of my poor dog when we hit ice in the middle of the loch though.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Journal Entries

The Myo XP from Petzl is superb. Uses AA batteries so easy to get and rechargeables can be used. Has three levels plus a boost and can be used with a diffuser to give a great even light. The lowest setting with the diffuser is great for a low reading light. Run time is almost forever.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=554

Can you tell I like mine ?
    John

Now doing for dog owners what I inflicted on canoeists
    www.DogWalkBloggs.com

Hi Rogue
    Yes i know that they can be blinding - but I often paddle around in the harbour and need to be able to show a white light all round. I would use it mainly on shore. We have these attached to our boats

http://www.dbslondon.co.uk/mini-flasher.html

that lets us keep tabs on each other without blinding ourselves

Default Head torch

Hi,

I use a Krill Light 360 for night marker type of work, approx 150 hours of reading light, I also used this on the back of the dogs jacket when I used to work her on the hill. Different colours are available, as is a 180 degree version.

When using a headtorch for paddling or navigating in low viz, place the torch round your neck rather than your head this will enhance your vision and comfort.

We use petzl duo's with either 8 or 15? leds (with 3 stage power) its a super bright floodlight, excellent underground and light in weight. The halogen bulbs hardly get used, rarely now do we need to use the beam facility the led's are so good.

Tikkas are great for your pocket and Mountain Marathons but do not perform as brightly as the others, but the others will depower to a tikka output.

Paul

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Krill lights are great. I use them loads (but not on my head ).

My head torch is a Petzl Tikka Plus which I find works a treat for what I need.
    I tend not to like very much light outdoors unless I need some task specific lighting, in which case I've found that this one does the job.

It also does a great job when I'm peering into the entrails of a dead computer, so I use it a lot for that too.

Default Head Torches & night paddling

Well done Monkey_Pork for bringing me back onto the thread. My excuse is, I was rushing out of the offfice, and did not read through the post.

For night paddling using the krill light on a cord attached to the hanging tab on the back of the BA is good. It does not spoil your forward night vision, well, only for the folks following. With a reasonable cord length the krill light can be brought around the front to view a map/chart & compass can be viewed, but only when required. If you end up swimming it floats on the surface giving vizibility to all.

Of course you can just swing your head torch round your neck, but it only gives light in one direction, perhaps thats all you want.

Probably not that many people want to go night paddling anyway, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Booker
    Probably not that many people want to go night paddling anyway, do you?
    That's a shame but until paddlers do it they don't realise what the attraction is. Relying on different senses makes even your local water seems completely different - it's an experience every paddler should have (but having taken extra precautions and practiced your navigation).

Sometimes we've had to finish trips in the dark unintentionally. In December the days are so short that any unseen delay in a trip may well see you finishing after dark. Far better to have practiced and be prepared for it in advance.

At the other end of the day things get even better. Have you ever been on the water early and paddled through the dawn chorus and sunrise and then stopped somewhere to cook breakfast? Wow!!!

I fancy one of those Krill Lights which is the best ??
    I can't make my mind up should I get a 180 or a 360 ??
    It says the 180 is brighter is that because the light is concentrated in one direction??
    How much better is the extreme version?? and where is the best place to get one( as in cheapest)

MickT
    It'll be right, trust me, I'm a Yorkshireman.

::>>> I'd rather be lucky, than good.

Default Best Head Torch

Hi,

I get mine from Hitch n Hike in the Peak District. They will mail if you ask. They have the models you listed, ask for Shaun if he is available. Do a search for contact details.

Paul.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Late evening or early morning paddling is magical - it does make the water very different indeed ...

I use a pair of green coloured extreme 360's from Trek Direct.

Good idea to use them as a kinda nav light for other paddlers - as they are ideal for marking stuff off like that.

Default head torches

I go out on the moors at night a lot - weekly during the winter and have used head torches for the last 20 odd years. I have a couple of petzls lying around which take the big flat duracell batteries which cost about £3.50 each - ouch! I'm in a mountain rescue team so I need a good reliable light to see where I am walking and to supplement the hand lamps we use for searching.

I am currently using a LED headtorch made by a firm called Blackspur which has two light settings and runs of four AA batteries, the first set of batteries lasted a year and then started to dim a bit - not ouch! at all.

The other very big plus point is that the torch itself only cost £5.99 - no that's not an error - £5.99. I did put a bit of silicone around the LED cap to waterproof it and it has been fine. The only disadvantage is that the four batteries are at the rear of the light itself and so are carried at the front of your head - a little bit heavy but no great problem. I found these in the tool section at a local bargain basement shop (Boyes). Worth £5.99 as a headtorch around camp if nothing else. It certainly does the job - which came as a bit of a suprise.

The light is fine for seeing where you're walking but LED lights do not project a powerful enough beam for anything beyond that, even a Petzl zoom is a bit weak for route finding - never paddled in the dark, I imagine you would need something like a handlamp to illuminate the way ahead effectively.

Haven't brought one yet, but quite liked the look of the Alpkit one http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?...ategory_id=253

Been impressed by the quality of everything else I've had from them.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    The Myo XP from Petzl is superb. Uses AA batteries so easy to get and rechargeables can be used. Has three levels plus a boost and can be used with a diffuser to give a great even light. The lowest setting with the diffuser is great for a low reading light. Run time is almost forever.

Sorry to drag this up from the depths of the past. But...
    Coming very soon, is the new version, 200% brighter and runs for even longer!

head torches,
    Tikka, nice and bright on new batteries, limited range, but for others spotting you its great, I've never immersed mine so couldnt tell you about waterproofness.

Duo, two beams, good battery life if you use the led mainly VERY heavy, Very reliably waterproof.

Myo, two beams but the incandescent bulb is quite low power compared to the led so I cant remember when I last used it, lighter than the duo.

lately Ive been using a LED Lenser head fire, this has variable power output but I reckon is about the same as a 3 cell maglight and weighs ounces, lasts for ages battery wise, not sure about waterproffness.

I try not to have not had more than 4 head torches on the go at anyone time.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post

I am with MK on this.
    Me and a friend of mine have a bit of rivalry going on, his wife calls it torch wars. When I got the Myo XP from the group buy he waved the white flag and put one on his Christmas list. We are now onto handheld torch wars.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    We are now onto handheld torch wars.
    I'd suggest Fenix stuff might be worth a look then.

Well enough made, bonkers bright, lots of battery/size options.
    Good LED's, nice range of output choices, not silly money ...

Journal Entries

Default Head Torches

There is a comparison of various torches in the Jan 2008 Trail magazine, which may be of help.

Bob Andrews

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    I'd suggest Fenix stuff might be worth a look then.

Well enough made, bonkers bright, lots of battery/size options.
    Good LED's, nice range of output choices, not silly money ...
    I want one! This thread shoiuld have been going six weeks ago

Got one of these a few weeks ago. Didn't need it; but I need to treat myself every now and again

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_l1d_rebel.html

Seriously bright .... on one AA battery. Haven't had it long enough to test their claims on battery life yet but overall I'm very impressed.
    Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups
    My avatar is the crest of the McAlester clan -

www.macski.com

I ended up buying the Petzl bright yellow waterproof one. Annoyingly I cannot give you the model as I have thrown away all the packaging and instructions. I specifically wanted a WATERPROOF one rather than water resistant due to solo paddling in Chichester Harbour and similar locations at night, and this was the only one that was rated as such.
    I am sure there are other headtorches as good that have the same specifications, but my research only reached as far as this one. I required a headtorch as this allows paddling whilst at the same time directing the beam to the direction needed.So far it works very well, but has yet to be fully submerged. As He of Ten states, I only turn this on when someone needs to see me, as ones night vision is usually more than adequate.
    This is also a good emergency camping light, all my other light sources being candles.
    Richard.
    What a long strange trip its been.......

Quote Originally Posted by NIKOND70 View Post
    I ended up buying the Petzl bright yellow waterproof one. Annoyingly I cannot give you the model as I have thrown away all the packaging and instructions.
    This one called a Petzl Duo?....
    Chris

At Wayne's Party last weekend I noticed Mel & Rob were both sporting some mean head torches.

It turns out that they are avaialable from their shop for £19.50. That I regard as a bargain

http://www.wilderness121.co.uk/eshop...age=1&featured

And if I remember correctly you should get SOTP discount

Quote Originally Posted by SunburyAndy View Post
    At Wayne's Party last weekend I noticed Mel & Rob were both sporting some mean head torches.

It turns out that they are avaialable from their shop for £19.50. That I regard as a bargain

http://www.wilderness121.co.uk/eshop...age=1&featured

Doh!
    now I want no need one of those as well.
    obviousley I have to protect my night vision when out hunting for wild "Brewstops"

Doh!
    now I want no need one of those as well.
    obviousley I have to protect my night vision when out hunting for wild "Brewstops"

possibly worth mentioning that red lights/flares in many mountain and upland areas may be interpreted as a distress signal.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by SunburyAndy View Post
    And if I remember correctly you should get SOTP discount
    £18 here for 12 led version

Quote Originally Posted by keith View Post
    possibly worth mentioning that red lights/flares in many mountain and upland areas may be interpreted as a distress signal.
    K
    SWMBO says that if I buy any more torches I Will need more than a distress signal

Then you need to buy small ones that she won't find

Ever thought about a Pak-Lite and some gaffa tape?
    Rob
    Wilderness 1-2-1
    Exotac - Waterproof your fire

I have a few but would like one with a red lens ??

The red light is really good for stuff like reading maps without spoiling your night vision too much.
    All of life is a journey ...

Default Headtorches

A mate of mine has got a 'Stenlight'. Type it in on Google!
    (you can get a headstrap for it so it does count as a headtorch)

After Christmas I ended up with a Petzl e+lite which is, in all honesty, superfluous to my requirements. I hate the term "unwanted present", as it seems so ungrateful. However, it wasn't quite what I wanted, so I sorted myself out in the January sales with a Tikka Plus, which I find ideal for what I need.

So, if anyone out there wants to make me an offer around the tenner mark (plus postage) for a Petzl e+lite which is still unopened in its blister pack, then drop me a PM.

(If site rules decree that I should really put this on Members' Classifieds, then please let me know and I'll happily comply!)

Default Headtorches

I can't quite afford to splash out on a Stenlight !!
    Recently I've bought both the Princeton Tec Apex and Quad headtorches. They both seem very good and are waterproof to 1 metre.
    I've not had them long enough to recommend them to anyone but the build quality and the detail in the design is impressive.

I found Princeton Tec after trawling the net when I got the hump with Petzl ; I've got one of Petzl's earlier Myo models that has 5 LEDs, a xenon/krypton bulb above them and a long wire leading to the battery pack, so it can go in a pocket. I bought this for a mountain leader course I did a couple of years ago.
    Seemed like a good idea to have the LEDs for milling around camp and a bright spotlight for finding stuff when navigating in the dark and loads of battery power (4 C cells) warmly tucked away in my pocket.
    I must say it worked splendidly for the week and I was chuffed to bits.

Shortly after the course the xenon/krypton bulb faded, then slowly died.

But, it took a further 2 years before the LEDs became unusable!!
    Do any of these people think when designing their new bits of kit?
    When i did change the batteries a break occured inside the wire (too soft and flexible for the job) where it enters the battery pack, causing the light to flicker on and off. I then had a nightmare just getting into the top of the battery pack, before I could trim the wire back past the break, to reattach it. I needed to do this twice because the internal wires are so thin it's too easy to damage them when trying to split the outer casing.
    I was getting concerned that the batteries would no longer reach my desired pocket!
    Eventually I managed to fix it (touch wood) but I was so off with the whole episode that I decided to try to find a decent headtorch manufacturer!

Strange really; I find all their other kit to be innovative and excellent quality!

Right, i've had the Princeton Tec Apex for a while now and i'm very happy with it.

I've used it quite a lot and the battery warning is blinking red at me, but the main (3w) LED still works! So compared to the Petzl Myo thing i've got, i'm delighted.
    I've not thrown it in the water to test it but it looks ok for 1 metre.

Now the main problem is the cost. I think they're about £65-75 in the UK which is far too much for a torch.
    I managed to find a UK seller on E-bay and got mine for £50 but i think he only had a couple for sale.

Since then i've found a bloke in the USA on E-bay and bought two off him for friends for £38ish inc postage.
    That seems like a bargain to me considering the quality of the torch and the two seperate transactions were completely trouble free with good communications from him.
    If anyone wants one type in Princeton Tec Apex and the seller name is Sebastian-11.
    Obviously i'm not related or connected in any way, just a happy customer.

Default A pair of very god Black Diamond models

Black Diamond are another manufacturer of quality headlamps that compete head on with Petzl MyoXP etc. Top of their line is the Icon which has a deliberately underdriven tighty focused 3W focused LED that quite possibly gives a brighter, longer throw light longer than the competition. Four 'superbright' LEDs surround this & give the usual reading/walking/surround light for quite stupid burn times depending on the brightness you select.

Their IQ is a significantly smaller lighter model that has two AA batteries rather than the three of the Icon. It uses an older technology single 1W main focused LED with two superbright LEDs instead of the Icons four. I think this was the previous top of the range model and is going out as it has ben dropped from the manufacturers main site but both are still available from here and other UK retailers:

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog...ond_light.html

We are very pleased with both of these. The IQ looks much less attractive on paper I know BUT it actually has some clever regulated circuitry to keep the light burning brighter longer, gives a really good light, is sgnificantly smaller, lighter and cheaper. I find it hard to choose between them. Both will give you a long throw beam to light up that mountain path ahead when needed plus two whole nights walking/climbing light if you get be-nighted plus a weeks worth of camp reading light all on a single set of rechargeable batteries. Just get a good charger so you are *sure* your batteries are fully charged and in good condition, there are quite a lot of perfectly good lights out there now & the batteries are most peoples weak link not the light.
    Happy paddling,
    Rob.

An old thread here but it's still relevant to me! I'm a kayker and runner and am looking for the best head torch for these sports. I guess i need water resistance/proofing - actually water proofing knowing how much time I spend in the water ) I'm looking at the pretty awesome features on the Petzl E87P Myo RXP but can't find any information on whether it is waterproof - or the Princeton Tec Apex Pro which is definitely waterproof (my friend has one). Any one with any experience of the Petzl, or both? Thanks!

If you can justify spending £40-55 on a head torch then buy a Zebralight, as an engineer their quality makes me feel all funny inside.

Along with a group of work colleagues I really got into the whole LED light thing. 3 years ago I built my own 1200Lm diy led light (for mountain biking but works well on the water too) but I also own a Zebralight headtorch.

I use an old, now obsolete single AA model (H50W) from http://www.zebralight.com/. I picked mine up when the £ - $ exchange rate was very good but even at today's prices the new models look like very good value considering how well made they are. There are a few UK dealers now, I shipped mine in direct. It has had constant (daily)use for the past four years but still looks and functions like new.

I have friends with the newer models, the 'neutral' white models look great. Although not as powerful as the 'cool' white leds on paper, in use the natural colour cast makes them far superior imo. Also choose the flood beam over the spot.

Iv resently been given a hed light from led lenser, ther H7, its so brigt, with a focusing beem and veriabel power output, not waterprufe, and I recon sand wuld eventualy get into the focusing meunisum , I have no intentions of yousing it on the water , definatly the best hd light iv ever yoused .

SWMBO says that if I buy any more torches I Will need more than a distress signal
    Mine says the same, but when I'm very good (a days shopping in John Lewis without complaining often works) I'm allowed a new one as a treat.

I've tried lensers: excellent brightness, but highly directional and hopeless for map reading as the brightness just completely "burns out" the map: now used for running after dark.

A variety of Petzls, of which oddly the e-lite is currently my favourite pottering around camp, with the predecessor of the duo for poor weather night navigation, but the headtorch I mainly end up using is the cheapest I own: the Alpkit Gamma is the best all rounder. For the price it is worth geting one even if just for back up to your much more expensive primary light.

Tyro
    "I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. " - Daniel Boone

I also bought a led lenser H7 last week ,they were on offer at the local builders merchants.
    It's great,focus/dim features,180 lumen.
    Water resistant but not proof .
    For in water work ,I use a Peli 2690.
    ,which is waterproof .
    Comes with two headbands,one nylon and a rubber one which is none slip on a helmet .
    reassuringly negative

Fantastic advice - thanks. I'll look at the Zebra and the think I'll steer clear of the Lensers. I've also heard that Silva offer some good head torches with IPX7 ratings - just found this out on another forum. It looks like you can spend half an hour capsized and the torch will be ok (even if the paddler isn't by that time!). Off to do some more research! I'll report back later.

I'd 2nd the Alpkit Gamma as a great budget option, my children use them, they have survived a few good soakings (rain not full immersion).

Default Night vision

A red light might not affect your night vision but it means you cannot see relief on a map which is fairly important part of navigation. A green light works just as well but you cannot see woods or anything green on the map so maybe a red and a green option would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    A red light might not affect your night vision but it means you cannot see relief on a map which is fairly important part of navigation. A green light works just as well but you cannot see woods or anything green on the map so maybe a red and a green option would be best.
    Get a green light like they have in cockpits these days. Green light allows you to see colours of the map.

Read this (no, I'm not recommending a Krill light as a head torch, but it's a good explanation):

http://www.kriana.com/retaining-night-vision

Edit:
    I forgot: If you think you might need it while dealing with cuts and blood, get a blue light, as that will allow you to see which fluid is which (i.e. Blood vs. non-blood)
    ----------------
    “When one rows, it is not the rowing which moves the ship: rowing is only a magical ceremony by means of which one compels a demon to move the ship.” - Nietzsche

Fennix hp10,
    not cheap £50.00 approx
    1st class kit & service though
    fenix HP10 headlamp specification is as follows:
    • Cree XR-E LED (Q5) with life span of up to 50,000 hours
    • 4 lighting levels, 3 flashing modes
    • Lighting modes: 7 lumens (210hrs) -> 50 lumens (22hrs) -> 120 lumens (7.5hrs) -> 225 lumens (Max 2.5hrs)
    • Flashing modes: Strobe (5 hrs) -> SOS (50 hrs) -> Warning Flash (44 hrs)
    • Max lighting distance: 120 meters#
    • Dual switch system with easy operation - one for Lighting on/off, the other for output adjusting.
    • Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
    • Output automatic memory function
    • Overheat protecting system,the lamp goes back to the high output after 3 minutes continuous lighting in Turbo mode.
    • Uses four 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) batteries.
    • Separated type structure to balance the weight for comfort
    • Light body: 54mm(Length)*43mm(Width)*33.5mm(Height)
    • Battery pack: 84mm(Length)*64mm(Width)*21mm(Height)
    • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
    • Light body: 40g, Battery pack: 77g (excluding batteries)
    • Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard (Submersible to 2 meters for 30 minutes continuous lighting)
    • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

Try looking at this site lots of reviews on lots of head torches

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Ge...?N=197+601+622

Alpkit Gamma. Excellent quality, tough, very bright. Batteries last forever. £12. Buy three so if you drop one overboard you have a couple of spares.
    Seriously I am a fussy gear guy but I don't see why I should pay more.
    PWC

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    Alpkit Gamma. Excellent quality, tough, very bright. Batteries last forever. £12. Buy three so if you drop one overboard you have a couple of spares.
    Seriously I am a fussy gear guy but I don't see why I should pay more.
    I agree and the LED on the batterypack is a nice touch.

Paul

Just bought the lady in my life a Princeton Tec Apex for Christmas. Quality stuff, at a good price. Couldn't walk past it in the store.
    This will be the test to see if I am a good judge of character.
    If she likes it, she's a keeper.
    If she asks "What's this for?", I'll know to throw her back.

Hi Everyone. I bought the Fenix hp10 January this year, and I can confirm it is a very good headlight. Not a cheap light, but if you want quality this is the one to go for. Solid metal body, easy adjustable light levels, nice and bright with good battery life. When I was sea paddling this year my torch was the only one bright enough to see your way in the caves.

John.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak-boy View Post
    An old thread here but it's still relevant to me! I'm a kayker and runner and am looking for the best head torch for these sports. I guess i need water resistance/proofing - actually water proofing knowing how much time I spend in the water ) I'm looking at the pretty awesome features on the Petzl E87P Myo RXP but can't find any information on whether it is waterproof - or the Princeton Tec Apex Pro which is definitely waterproof (my friend has one). Any one with any experience of the Petzl, or both? Thanks!
    For reference, the Myo series are not fully waterpoof, just rain resistant. Good torch, but they have a slight reputation for reliability issues over time. Petzl seem to sort thus out without a quibble, but you do need to know you're torch is actually going to work when you get it out the bag.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I like the sound of the Alpkit, Fennix and Some of the Silvas - choices choices.

What does it say about us that a thread on head torches has over 28,800 views!

Tyro
    "I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. " - Daniel Boone

Just a quick note about the Alpkit Gamma. I've had two of these and they work really well for the price but be aware that the lugs that hold the battery compartment closed break off after a while. This happened to my first one and one belonging to a friend. It didn't put me off buying another as a replacement (which I use in preference to a more expensive Petzl that I also own). It may well be the case that if you know about this potential problem you'll be able to avoid it by being careful when changing the batteries (I'll let you know if No2 fails in the same manner but so far so good). I recycled the one that broke using a cable tie and it still works but is no longer very water resistant (I had to drill a hole in the battery box to bodge it). For £12 you really can't complain much though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    Just a quick note about the Alpkit Gamma. I've had two of these and they work really well for the price but be aware that the lugs that hold the battery compartment closed break off after a while. This happened to my first one and one belonging to a friend. It didn't put me off buying another as a replacement (which I use in preference to a more expensive Petzl that I also own). It may well be the case that if you know about this potential problem you'll be able to avoid it by being careful when changing the batteries (I'll let you know if No2 fails in the same manner but so far so good). I recycled the one that broke using a cable tie and it still works but is no longer very water resistant (I had to drill a hole in the battery box to bodge it). For £12 you really can't complain much though.
    That's a shame. I have bought about half a dozen - one for all the family, plus gifts - and used mine pretty regularly for two years. I do agree you have to be careful when inserting batteries. Thing is, I have never had to change mine yet!
    PWC

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    That's a shame. I have bought about half a dozen - one for all the family, plus gifts - and used mine pretty regularly for two years. I do agree you have to be careful when inserting batteries. Thing is, I have never had to change mine yet!
    It might just have happened because I was too rough while changing the batteries, I'm not sure. As I said the same thing happened to my mates one as well though. I think if you're careful changing the batteries it'll minimise the risk. I'm a big fan of Alpkit, I have quite a lot of their gear and for the most part it's been excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast