Thread: Make Your Own Trolley ?

Default Make Your Own Trolley ?

Following on from the excellent guide to making your own paddle. I can forsee long summer evenings in the back yard with a B+D Workmate, has anyone ever tried to construct their own Canoe trolley, and if so was it successful and can we have some details

Default Trolley

I made a trolley a few years back and it has served me well. It doesn't look like much but its strong and fairly light. I used the wheels off an old golf trolley and whatever bits of wood and foam that were laying around the garage at the time. I strap it on with a roofrack strap and it stows away inside the boat by strapping it to the center thwart.
    The golf trolley wheels are ideal as they have a large surface area for going over soft ground. And since all the golfers are changing to the battery type trolleys there are a lot of old ones on the scrap heap. I'll try to get some photos for you later.

I used a set of old pram wheels (and the axle). I cut the axle into two halves. The axle was welded on a frame (~8mm x 2mm) so that became the screw down feature (drilled two holes for 1" x #8 size screws. then clamped them beween two bits of old PAR 4"x2" or similar. This clamping holds the end of the axle horizontal.

Extra feature: two long strings (~6ft) from each side; with wheel square, bring strings together and form slip knot (the slip is on the line back to the wheels). This forms a loop that the painter goes through and keeps the wheel square as you roll the boat along.

B&Q: Have a look for their double wheeled wheel-barrows ~£20.
    Almost a done deal! (2 wheels, strong axle...)

Is a trolley worth it YES YES YES.
    Today, then good lady dropped me at Banknock canal bridge and disapeared off to Falkirk Wheel. I paddle along. Then the water disappeared. A lock gate was being repaired. 1.5km of trolley use!!!

Philip

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Having fiddled about for ages, trying different stuff out, I just went out and bought one in the end, so I'm only really qualified to comment on how a fantastically useful thing it is.

I wouldn't be able to make solo trips to lots of the places I paddle without a trolley. It's that stark.

It was a long hard walk, along a steep & stoney foreshore that started this off for us. I cannot imagine canoe life without one now.

Good luck to anyone who has a go.

Here's some pictures of my commercially produced one to start you off.
    As you'll see, there's nothing to it really tho' ...

It supports the boat really well, I don't really think that comes over very well that in the picture, but it actually works a treat.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PEDDLER
    Following on from the excellent guide to making your own paddle. I can forsee long summer evenings in the back yard with a B+D Workmate, has anyone ever tried to construct their own Canoe trolley, and if so was it successful and can we have some details
    We've made a number over the years. As our portages are generally quite narrow, we use a single 20" bicycle tire with the front forks. The top is just a piece of wood with carpet tacked on, and straps with cleats to attach to the gunwales on each side. The whole affair has to be quite small to justify taking it along in the canoe.

They work fine, but we only use them for day trips to areas with exceptionally long portages. The portage we most often use them on is four miles.

PG

Default trolley

Here are the pics I said about, as you can see its a bit of a makeshift job but its been working well for me for a couple of years now and it carries a fairly heavy load. I've put two canoes on it piggy back and it took their weight. I just put one roofrack strap right round the trolley and boat and pull it tight.

I was careful with the size etc, as you can see below, it is designed to fit snugly inside the boat.

Hope this has been of some help.

Alan.

Many thanks. You look at the commercial offerings and end up thinking it is going to be complicated to make one then along comes Big Al with a gloriously simple idea.

I had a home made one which was excellent (I didn't make it) It consited of an axle two golf cart wheels whith hinged triangular supports which were held in place with straps. I'd show you a picture but unfortunately it is sitting on the bottom of the River Exe in Tiverton somewhere. the rivers not very deep so if anyone is down that way and fancies a look I'll grant you salvage rights
    Regards

SuperNova

Default Make your own trolley?

Hi,

Before you go and make such a beast, think about the terrain you are going to be using it on. These golf trolley wheels are great for level ground and beaches. They are not tall enough for the average Scottish portage.

In Mountain Rescue there is a similar contraption to the one Pierre mentioned, a MacInnes Wheel for a minimum of two people to carry a loaded stretcher, we use a wide mtb tyre/wheel combo for soaking up the bumps. Its fast but uncomfortable for the casualty.

PB

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork
    I got one of these too but had it supplied with much bigger wheels. Even with these it is not much cop on rough country portages where I tend to sledge if possible (ie no rocks). I also did some work on the axle/wheel fittings to beef them up a bit, and made dedicated straps for it. Don't use it much, but when I do I really need it, like on the 5km watershed on Lewis which forms a crucial link.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I use mine loads, I tend to run the tyres on fairly low pressure (unless I know it's all going to be tarmac: summer beach access for example, where you park miles away). I use the same straps that I lash the boat to the car with. I must admit that I've not been through anything too rough, but on moderate ground it's been really helpful.

A decent interace 'twixt boat and trolley is essential, as to is secure lashing, it will save much woe once the going gets rough, and the boat starts to fight with the trolley. At least that way you only have one thing to deal with, as it'll move together.

Padling with kayakers most of the time I don't need a trolley.
    I just look a little tired and my canoe is carried for me.
    Rogue

Default Axle less Trolley

Canoe Trolley

I like the look of the one in the above line.
    Although not made out of aluminium, it weighs about the same as an eckla, because you save the weight by not having an axle or big stand.

No axle means about a foot of ground clearance.

What do you think?

Dyson

Default Trolley

Not much use for roamin' in the Gloamin' but its pretty handy on the towpath.
    This photo was taken yesterday just for a bit of fun.

Golf trolley wheels were never designed for this, but hey, if it works, what the heck!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al.
    I feel another caption competition coming on. Just need to think of a prize
    John

Now doing for dog owners what I inflicted on canoeists
    www.DogWalkBloggs.com

"You lost your paddle ..... I lost a paddler!"

Journal Entries

"hey Bikemec, stop playing with the camera and give us a hand"
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Journal Entries

You do know it is not actually a caption competition
    John

www.DogWalkBloggs.com

If it was .... and I won..... could I pick a prize?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peterkm
    If it was .... and I won..... could I pick a prize?
    Certainly, as long as you are supplying it
    John

www.DogWalkBloggs.com

Default The dangers of trolley portages on a stormy night

(not for a caption comp, but feel free if you must)

The boat is on a trolley, on the cycle path along the side of Loch Lomond. It was too windy to paddle, so I walked long into the night to make up for lost time.

One of these days my luck will run out.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Journal Entries

Default Another Option: PVC!

The one in this link is designed for Kayaks, but could maybe be adapted for an open canoe:

It's a different solution, but pretty clever, and probably lighter than the equivalent in wood. Can also be dismantled too, which might be a bonus in certain situations.

Blutack.

what is it? aly? or plastic?
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Journal Entries

Hi Don,

to quote from the link: "This cart was constructed from 10 1/14 inch pneumatic tires on nylon wheels, PVC pipe and fittings, a pool noodle, a stainless steel axle, and a wood plug for stabilizing the axle. The cart is a variation of a number of home-made carts that were found on the web."

So basically I take that to mean get down to B&Q, and raid the plumbing section. Next question - what on earth is a pool noodle, and what exactly are you supposed to do with it !

Blutack.

EDIT: Apparently a pool noodle is what they cannibalised to get the yellow foam. I reckon foam pipe insulation would work just as well though......

pool noodle...ask the kids! its one of those bendy bits of foam that has more kid-cred than water wings.
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Journal Entries

Saw an interesting trolley yesterday stuck back in the woods on the portage between the Cloquet River and Fish Lake. I didn't get out of the canoe, so I didn't get a real close look, but it looked like it was two bicycle wheels with a baby's crib spring set between for the trolley bed.

PG

Default Portage trolley thoughts

I use an Eckla as well - it's only really of use on flat ground, but you can stop it dislodging on rougher stuff by tying the painters to the bars so that it can't move fore & aft.

Solo trolley portages are much easier with a harness. I use my all-purpose 18ft flat webbing climbing tape sling, either diagonally across my chest, or crossed as per Cptn Scott (possibly not practical for female paddlers )
    Rhod

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    I feel another caption competition coming on. Just need to think of a prize
    How about a set of wheels, roll of duck tape and 6' of 2x2.

Default Multi use trolley

I have a thread on it here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community...495#post177495

But here are the basics.

Costs are:

£5.99 for the backpack stool.
    the pneumatic wheels where the most expensive at £9.99 each (they are Eckla's from Brookbank)
    A couple of quid for the 20mm aluminium tube and some 5mm machine bolts, eye bolts and wing nuts.

I havent lost my mind, I've got it backed up on tape somewhere!!

Very, very good, are you taking orders??

Default trollys

The ECKLA one "bought" is superb it folds down and now comes with a bag to store it in but best of all it floats!!

Does big Al's float? Not mutch use if it sinks.

Kate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2cute

Does big Al's float? Not mutch use if it sinks.

Kate.
    Ah well, if I've been stupid enough to make it from wood, foam and plastic that sinks, I can always try using it as an anchor.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hi all
    I made mine( Well my brother did when he was on 'study leave') for a pyranha spanish fly i was being lent for when i was on white water because it was a pig to carry back up after paddling hard and it being very warm, it wasnt a good idea . So my brother made it by using a old sack trolley, turning the L bit on the back upside down, chopping a big section off so it wouldnt drag on the floor and all i did was strap the canoe to it. I have taken it through mud and its been on ice and stones and its been good so far, not slipped into any cars yet . The only problem is that the handle is stretched out so it cant go up something too steep because the front digs in. The boat gets secured on by a roof rack strap. I think i could just chop the back axle off and attach it to the boat, i dont think how the trolley is now it will fit in a open boat. It is probably a expensive thing to do, helpful if you have a old one lieing around that your not using. I like the one tahts uses gold trolley wheels, looks very good.

Joe

Default Originz Canoe/Kayak Trolley

What do you think of this trolley?

Originz Canoe/Kayak Trolley
    £70
    12 inch wheels

http://www.reedsofcambridge.co.uk/ac...an_Canoes.html

It looks pretty robust.

About the same price as the Eckla & Endless River ones. Not sure if it's as strong & the non-pneumatic wheels would be a definate disadvantage on soft ground.

The tyres on my trolley arent pneumatic wheels, The last time i went through mud, it sank so far till it found hard mud. It has got 4 wheels so its sort of balanced, but because the trolley i use is low, dragging the trolley wont be hard.
    I dont like the look of the trolley in the link above, i would have a eckla trolley instead. But all mine is, is a old sack trolley thingy, with the bit that sticks up when all four wheels are on the floor turned pside down and trimmed off. The bar is good to extend the trolley and you just put some thick webbing on and pull the trolley like that. It will cost less then £20, and i think is much better. It can take up some more space then folding ones, but because you can put bags in the middle of it, its not taking up that much space if packed right. If you wont pics then i will put some up.

Joe

Default ????

Is that the famous SOTP club sandwich ???
    There is nothing—
    absolute nothing—half so much worth
    doing as simply messing about in boats.

Default The Suffolk Mk4

This is the design that many in the Suffolk OPen Canoe Group use. We have developed the standard trailer to include a heavy duty hinge so the trailer becomes fully collapsible. We have used a number of different wheels, some have hard tyres, some soft, and it is possible to increase the distance between the cross bar and the wheels, to aid crossing uneven ground

It's not a holiday, it's a way of life!

Excellent!!

And I think I have all the bits in my garage to make one as I never throw anything out.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

That is a great design for a trolley - simple and cheap. My ideas have been getting more elaborate as the weeks pass, but you have now solved the problem.

I can make that up in about an hour this weekend - great post, thanks!

I've seen the wheels shown above for sale in Homebase, I think they were about £9 for a pair. Golf trolley wheels are what I like to use, but in this case they might be too bulky.
    Big Al.

~Cree Indian Proverb

Default Trolley on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...DME:B:EF:UK:11

£32 at the moment but finishes in 7 hours.
    Chris

Do I take it that anyone entering this imaginary caption competition must be off their trolley?
    There aint no cure for the ......

Default Richardcanoe's Suffolk MK4

Hi Richard,
    I tried your design - very easy to make but a bit trickier to use. When using the trolley the wheels had a tendency of slipping back and therefore coming away from the canoe. Have you experienced this problem or have any ideas?
    Thanks
    PKM
    Mobile Adventure Prospector 16

Here's my effort.

It's made from some wheels off an old lawn mower (which look exactly like the wheels from a golf-bag trolley!). I then used light steel tubing bent using a pipe bending spring, flattened at the ends, drilled and pushed the axle through. The two frame pieces are held apart using fibre washers and it folds up nicely. It is painted with hammerite and the padding is pipe lagging covered in duct tape. It is as light as a feather and works really well!

I attatch it to the canoe using ordinary tie down straps.

Matt

Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom, 107666599263369, Plymouth

Think about using a set of trucks and wheels from a mountain board with a strip of curved aluminium and a cargo strap total cost from new about £30

yeah a set of atb skate trucks could would be fine. although the centre of gravity being above the truck could make it a little wobbly

Default Cheap, Classy Wheels

I found a set of kid's training wheels and brackets on closeout for $5 this weekend, and bought them thinking they will make a good start for making my own canoe/kayak cart. I haven't exactly figured out what I'm going to do with them, and I do wish they were bigger (5 1/2 inches), but for $5, I couldn't resist. You'll know me and my cart when you see us, because the wheels for my canoe cart are bright primary colors, and have all kinds of Sesame Street stickers on them. And each "personality" (Bert, Ernie, Big Bird, etc.) is wearing a bicycle helmet.

Pringles

Default Shaje Mk 2

Made this up from the back wheels of my Daughters tricycle (which she's grown out of) . tried it out this morning round a couple of locks and it worked great

The Mk 1 was just the wheels with the strap tied to it which worked ok but slipped about a bit.

Am planning the Mk 3 using the Pnuematic clip on / off wheels of a 3 wheeled buggy which will be much better over rough ground. I need to wait for my Daughter to grow out of it first though.
    Last edited by SHAJE; 21st-July-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: fix photo's

made out of 18mm ply .32mm jackpoint screws a bit of pipe and pipe lagging .decided to buy the wheels as i thought pneumatic tires would be the best

Last edited by Thistle; 26th-August-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: susing out how to post pics

I've yet to embark on making my own trolley. I've got a pair of donor wheels from an old sack barrow, but the centres are steel so not ideal.

I have also thought of improvising using wheelie-bin wheels and axle, but can't find a way to get the them off. Not sure the neighbours will be overly impressed to find their bin destroyed when the back off their hols though!!