Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Sevylor Colorado

Before going for the Colorado, check out the Zpro Tango.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ro-Tango-TA300

I was originally going to get a Colorado until I found this,

Can't fault mine

Marc

I did have a look at the Tango Marc but the Colorado is slightly wider I think (90cm vs 118cm) It's not a huge difference but I'm not a small guy so every little will help! Thanks for the suggestion though!

Sorry it seems I have to post twice before I can post a link so this is no. 1

and No.2

Hi there, I have also been looking at buying a Colorado. I haven't taken the plunge yet but found these sites doing it at a reasonable price.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/kcc-335-s...d_8090937.html is the decathlon version and this one from Marshall Leisure http://www.marshallleisure.co.uk/ind...ucts_id=146528

The tango does look good but is out of my price range.

Hope this helps anyone at the purchasing stage.

Thanks Ady, I did look at the Marshall site earlier and it seems like the best online price atm, I had completely missed the sirocco thinking it to be a different model (some other sevylor's apparently have patchy build quality!) so gave it the swerve.

Certainly worth considering!

Thanks again!

Sorry to but in on an old (but rejuvinated) thread, But I have the Sevylor Amazon and was looking at the Colorado.
    In the end, I decided to had a friends advice and wait......save......and buy.......the Tango TA300.

Well I don't know, but I do believe I'm glad I did.

I got mine from HERE............
    I've recorded a review of the official unwrapping (but not it's maiden voyage yet) and It should be on my blog tomorrow night.

Talk about changeable! I'm now saving up for an Old Town Saranac 146XT! ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by oldeng View Post
    Hi Scooter4478

I also have a colorado and am curious as to how you have attached the battery box etc to the colorado?

Kind Regards

Oldeng
    i use two bungee cords and attach to the boat. the weight of the battery helps alot also.

Loving my Yukon! Been out a few times in it, so much less wobbly than the rigid Canadian I've got.

One problem with my Yukon is the tracking, but I keep forgetting to put the skeg in before I inflate it so hoping this will sort it out!

Yukon1

Glad you are having fun with it! I was considering the Yukon but went for a Hudson instead and have been really pleased with it.

Where have you been paddling that has needed the skeg? I've been going on the Wey and the tracking has been ok so far.

I've been on the Wey, and on Basingstoke canal. In Elstead paddling upstream I was all over the shop, seem to be turning left all the time.. was paddling two strokes on the left one on the right for most of it to stay in a straight line! As I say though haven't put in the skeg and all instructions seem to say it should be in every time. Was a lot better in the Basingstoke canal though. Have you been to Mychett? We went out from the visitors centre trying to get to Mychett lake.. but turned the wrong way and paddled about 3 miles in the wrong direction Trying again this weekend

I have the tango and find I really need the skeg fitted if I am using a single paddle. With the double, I can sit further forward and manage but I prefer the single. If it is likely to be a bit shallow, I have drilled a small hole in the skeg which I use to tie a fixing string to the boat so I don't lose it.
    MarkL
    and I am here ...
    and you are there ...
    and a thousand miles between.

The skeg made a massive difference on my Colorado.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Yukon
    I haven't been on to the Basingstoke Canal or over to Mychett yet, it is on the list of places to go to next. I've been following Mal's routes on the Wey so far which have been enjoyable. Let us know how you get on with the skeg on.

Mark, great advice re attaching the skeg with string, I'll do it on mine as no doubt it will come off.

Well I finally got the skeg on, and my word, what a difference!!! Perfectly straight line, was so enjoyable! Never going out without it. Will be drilling and attaching with string next!

Got to Great Bottom Flash just down from Mytchett. Got pursued by a swan, came all the way from the opposite side of the lake at speed, wings out, angry. Had to get out and walk the canoe back down past it

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon1 View Post
    Well I finally got the skeg on, and my word, what a difference!!! Perfectly straight line, was so enjoyable! Never going out without it. Will be drilling and attaching with string next!

Got to Great Bottom Flash just down from Mytchett. Got pursued by a swan, came all the way from the opposite side of the lake at speed, wings out, angry. Had to get out and walk the canoe back down past it

Why not make a spare one real easy to do your need
    med sandpaper
    copping saw
    and a cheap 5mm thick bread board ( from a £1 shop)
    and a paper template of the skeg you have now.
    Place the paper template to one of the edges of the breadboard mark with a pencil
    Cut out with a coping saw and sand to shape

That's another spare skeg for a quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
    Why not make a spare one real easy to do your need
    med sandpaper
    copping saw
    and a cheap 5mm thick bread board ( from a £1 shop)
    and a paper template of the skeg you have now.
    Place the paper template to one of the edges of the breadboard mark with a pencil
    Cut out with a coping saw and sand to shape

That's another spare skeg for a quid.
    That's not a bad idea, I'll do that, saves drilling and having to somehow pack it away carefully!

19. Default

Well I bought myself a Colorado a few weeks ago, first boat purchase and inflatable due to space constraints.

Since I got it its been raining but hey presto this weekend was lovely so I took it out for a spin, and I love it.

Being a novice I took it onto the flat waters of the local canal and found it really easy to paddle (using a double blade) and manoever. The smallest downside was that my feet and legs continually got dripped on by the paddle, so I might need a longer paddle or better technique (more likley), or both, but as I will only be using it on fair weather days this wont be a problem.

Set up and take down was relatively straightforward and Im sure I will get a slicker routine with practice. Getting it back into the carry bag wasnt too difficult but I think a larger bag might be more beneficial in due course so that I can just dump it in there and take it home, then dry it out at home and put in the supplied bag after that.

On top of all that the kids loved being front seat passengers, and I can see us having a great deal of fun in this boat over the summer months, which for me is what its all about.

All in all Im chuffed to bits with it, it was a big purchase for me but one Im now sure I will not regret.

I bought a Colorado a few weeks ago as well.
    Used it once myself and lent to a freind once so twice used now.

I have had the Sevylor Hudson in the past and now the Colorado ..
    The Colorado seems to handle better against the wind and loaded with kit and used as a single it was better than I thought it would be.
    A great boat for carrying a big load. And Very stable with it.

Having said the above I think i will stick with my other inflatable Kayak The advanced Elements.
    So this one will either be stored away Or sold off later.
    Great boat just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    Well I bought myself a Colorado a few weeks ago, first boat purchase and inflatable due to space constraints.

Since I got it its been raining but hey presto this weekend was lovely so I took it out for a spin, and I love it.

Being a novice I took it onto the flat waters of the local canal and found it really easy to paddle (using a double blade) and manoever. The smallest downside was that my feet and legs continually got dripped on by the paddle, so I might need a longer paddle or better technique (more likley), or both, but as I will only be using it on fair weather days this wont be a problem.

Set up and take down was relatively straightforward and Im sure I will get a slicker routine with practice. Getting it back into the carry bag wasnt too difficult but I think a larger bag might be more beneficial in due course so that I can just dump it in there and take it home, then dry it out at home and put in the supplied bag after that.

On top of all that the kids loved being front seat passengers, and I can see us having a great deal of fun in this boat over the summer months, which for me is what its all about.

All in all Im chuffed to bits with it, it was a big purchase for me but one Im now sure I will not regret.

If its a bundled grey sevylor paddle with the oar shaped blades do yourself a favour and get an asymettrical one preferably 230cm long to avoid catching the sides if your feeling confident ditch the kayak paddle and use a single paddle and say goodbye to drips altogether dont throw the sevylor paddle away though as they are great for knocking tent pegs in

Help I've lost my skeg can someone post a photo with a ruler against it for scale please.
    Also has anyone thought about adding mounts for a small skeg halfway along to improve tracking, especially in wind?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nash View Post
    Help I've lost my skeg can someone post a photo with a ruler against it for scale please.
    Also has anyone thought about adding mounts for a small skeg halfway along to improve tracking, especially in wind?
    See above post 377...

Hy there , i'm just trying to get into the canoing game , I'm thinking about getting a sevylor , what is the best one too
    go for , and were is the best place to buy one ...

Hi. Depends whether its solo or tandem, and where you want to use it. Colorado and Hudson seem to be the most popular.

Default Found - Skeg from Colorado - Jubilee River

I was out on the Jubilee River today and found a red skeg, which looks like its from a Colorado, floating by the get out. If its yours, pm me.

If its not taken in the next few weeks, it will be saved for the next person to lose one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Hi. Depends whether its solo or tandem, and where you want to use it. Colorado and Hudson seem to be the most popular.
    it's you's as family boat , for camipng trips and rivers and loch's nothing crazy ..

In that case, I'd suggest the extra length of the Hudson, whether or not you use all 3 seats, would be worth having. I'm sure there is a Zpro equivalent too.

29. Default

An update on my Colorado, I've had the Sevylor for a yearand a half now, it's always been comfortable when paddling, very durable to theextent of being scraped alongside rocks, pushed into tree stumps under thewater and all other manner of abuses thrown at it. Then a couple of months agothe floor bladder inflation cap came off. As I'm down under, there's nosuppliers down here for the older Sevylor's, so I contacted Brockbank Canoes inLancaster UK, who advised me the older type of bladders for the Colorado are nolonger available but the newer floor bladders for the later Colorado were. So Ipays me money and gets the bladder sent over, a couple of weeks later theinflation cap for one of the side bladders broke off as well. Back on the phoneto Brockbanks and have been advised the side bladders are no longer available.This is a great shame as the Colorado has been a very useful unit for fishingand catching Red Claw Crey fish. I'm going to keep the Sevylor in case I find aspare bladder, it’s a real shame there is no spare available. The canoe is onlya 2009 model, why Sevylor no longer have availability of spares is beyond me especiallywith such a popular model as the Colorado...any thoughts on the matter would begratefully received!

Dear MadPlumber
    With my Yukon I haven't had the problem you've had with the Colorado. I do wonder why the Yukon needs three different types of inflation cap. I have raised this with Meridian Zero, the importers of Sevylor into the UK. Try asking Buster Tickner buster@meridianzero.co.uk about the cap. He has been extremely helpful for me. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MadPlumber View Post
    An update on my Colorado, I've had the Sevylor for a yearand a half now, it's always been comfortable when paddling, very durable to theextent of being scraped alongside rocks, pushed into tree stumps under thewater and all other manner of abuses thrown at it. Then a couple of months agothe floor bladder inflation cap came off. As I'm down under, there's nosuppliers down here for the older Sevylor's, so I contacted Brockbank Canoes inLancaster UK, who advised me the older type of bladders for the Colorado are nolonger available but the newer floor bladders for the later Colorado were. So Ipays me money and gets the bladder sent over, a couple of weeks later theinflation cap for one of the side bladders broke off as well. Back on the phoneto Brockbanks and have been advised the side bladders are no longer available.This is a great shame as the Colorado has been a very useful unit for fishingand catching Red Claw Crey fish. I'm going to keep the Sevylor in case I find aspare bladder, it’s a real shame there is no spare available. The canoe is onlya 2009 model, why Sevylor no longer have availability of spares is beyond me especiallywith such a popular model as the Colorado...any thoughts on the matter would begratefully received!
    You could try giving these a ring I just got some stuff for my colorado off them http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/acti...rands=3603&p=3 at £39.99 for a side bladder could work out expensive with the postage

32. Default

Thanks for the reply, the trouble is, I've been told that Sevylor has stopped making the old style of bladders.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPlumber View Post
    Thanks for the reply, the trouble is, I've been told that Sevylor has stopped making the old style of bladders.
    well i can get them, give 'solelymarine' a call as after reading your original post of brookbanks saying they no longer supply them i enquired with my distributor and found they were still available . I will update the website shortly

34. Default

Well the Sevylor has been sold and I've upgraded to a 4.1m fibreglass Canadian....no more worries about inflation valves!

Hi! Saw this Sevylor Colorado review on an Alaskan blog, thought it may be of use to people deciding on inflatables. http://alaskanventures.blogspot.co.u...oe-review.html

Talk about double bad luck! I'm away for the week with my Colorado and I get a hole in the right bladder, thankfully it happened towards the end of the week so little paddling time was lost. Even worse though is one of the zips has gone too, it suddenly went pop splitting open exposing the left bladder (thankfully it's ok) and losing a couple of teeth in the process. I'm in the UK and wondering what my options are to get this repaired, any ideas?
    Obzi

Living proof that 'Care in the Community' doesn't work.

Dear Obzi, Try using waterproof Gaffer Tape for the hole. Can't help with the zip I'm afraid. Good luck, hew

Hello, new to this forum, but have been reading lots on here as have been deciding between the sevylor hudson and the zpro Tango, we decided to go for the Tango in the end as it had the better write up and is covered with a thicker material, we took it out quickly on the river Gipping in suffolk and it was brilliant, I went out with my two year old son who loved it. I'm 5'11" tall and was worried that I would be cramped up but there was loads of space, it handled well on this calm bit of water and I can't wait to take it out again.

Can anyone advise, when using the Colarado in the sea, particularly in surf would you leave the drain open to work as a sort of self baler. We tried this recently, I feel with the water that was coming onboard as we went through the surf, we would have got swamped had the drain not been open

I had my Colorado in the sea for the first time just a few weeks ago and stupidly forgot all about the drain, it wasn't that rough thankfully. Opening a hole in the bottom of a boat to let water out seems to go against all logic.lol
    Obzi

Living proof that 'Care in the Community' doesn't work.

It isn't a self bailer, it's just for emptying the water when your out.
    If it's anything like the Tango TA300 then you'll take on water.

You'll take on water either way, and the drain isn't above the water line if I remember mine correctly, not is it very big, so I'd keep it closed. The great thing about Colorados and other inflatables is that the buoyant sides & floor mean even with a bit of water inside, it will still float high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    You'll take on water either way, and the drain isn't above the water line if I remember mine correctly, not is it very big, so I'd keep it closed. The great thing about Colorados and other inflatables is that the buoyant sides & floor mean even with a bit of water inside, it will still float high.
    As you say the Colorado does float high. Although we'd taken quite a few seas over the whole canoe we had no water to speak of in the boat. That why I asked if the drain was acting as a self bailer as with a RHIB, or a freeing port as on a ship. Thank you for your constructive comments. The instructions that came with the boat are totally inadequate. I do wonder how the canoe would have handled with the canoe filled to the top of the sponsons and no way of freeing the water. So much free surface water in the canoe would reduce the stability of the boat greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe Guru View Post
    Model - KCC335HF
    LOA - 10’6”
    Beam - 3’3”
    Weight - 32 lbs.
    Max. HP - 12V SBM
    Pers. Cap. - 2
    Max. Cap. - 500 lbs.**
    ** Inflated measurements.

The Colorado has a raised bow and stern and is as close in shape, comfort and styling to the traditional North American Indian canoe as an inflatable boat will ever get. It’s double hull construction makes it very rugged and rigid. The canoe combines the stability, maneuverability and sea worthiness of a kayak with comfort, looks and styling of the traditional North American canoe. Ideally suited for rough waters, lakes, ocean, fishing and diving and great for beginners. Includes 2 bucket seats, removable stern storage compartment, 2 directional strakes, carrying handles, multiple d-rings and ties, motor mount fittings (to attach a Sevylor® SBM 12V trolling motor), and a nylon carrying bag.
    Note: Recommended accessories are new professional kayak and canoe paddles; #304T, #300P, #204IB, RB2500 pumps; and various inflators, skeg.

I really liked those profile image

Re: self bailing plugs, my newly bought Yukon also says these plugs should be taken out when in white water or the sea, but they are actually in the bottom of the boat ! How can this possibly work ?

Does anyone have experience of the 2012 Colorado range? There's some difference in prices with Gooutdoors selling the Premium at £255 but the 2012 standard at £405 in a kit. I've been told that if a bladder needs replacing on the Premium it's almost impossible to replace due to the inflation system and how the 3 chambers connect. This isn't a problem on the 2012 standard. Searching the forum I can't find any information on the new range and it's easy inflation system. Any views appreciated.

had one now for a few yrs and its never let me down !!!

I would go for the older version at that price its a give away I paid that much for mine 6 year ago . I have owned the old style green one bought in 2007 I have just had to renew the floor bladder because of a split seam cost about £35 and took about 15 mins. I must admit I have abused it, taken it on many multi day trips on rivers and seas packed it away wet dragged it over rocky beaches it has never let me or itself down. I would say it is the most versatile water craft available just check out some of my blogs.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't explain very well. The 2 I am trying to get views on are both new 2012 versions. One is the premium which is blue and is inflated via one valve and has a spraydeck. The standard is yellow and has 3 valves so although is classed lower potentially could be better due to having separate chambers.

Default new colorado premium blue

Quote Originally Posted by AdyD View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't explain very well. The 2 I am trying to get views on are both new 2012 versions. One is the premium which is blue and is inflated via one valve and has a spraydeck. The standard is yellow and has 3 valves so although is classed lower potentially could be better due to having separate chambers.
    Hi we have just purchased the premium model prefer the colour lol swung it for me will hope all the rest is good too it looks the part and great price from go outdoors the other one was just too expensive we bought the sevylor k-perf 230 paddle too great price also first time kayak looking forward to trying it out if there are problems i am sure the store will be helpful

Hello, I have a Sevylor Rio ,basically same as the Colorado except a foot shorter.I took it to France last year and my daughter of no experience took it safely down a number of grade 2 rivers with the odd bit of grade 3.The other three of us all fell out our kayaks at some point but she didn't!
    Look up "You Tube" of Motley's on the Allier etc for footage.Seems to be able to take a bit of bashing too,sometimes the Rio was bouncing off rocks like it was the ball in a pin ball machine.

If anyone is interested in these inflatables the best prices I have found are here.

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/sevylor...asp?partner=fr

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sevylor-...-kayak-p210515

Default White water on colorado.

Hi there,
    l have had my Colorado for few years now and very happy with it. I mostly use it for white water (WWI) with guests from my guest house. See the video. I had only one problem when I have inflated it in very hot day and left it outside It has busted but lucky Decathlon has exchanged it as it was still in warranty. It will not allow me. Post the link so if anyone interested search for web page exploreslovakia.co.uk and click Slovakia adventure button.

Smile Exposed bladder!

Hi, I had a similiar problem last year with my Tango 200. Silly me transported the inflated canoe on the roof rack after a trip. For some unknown reason never noticed it when putting in away. Next trip out....began pumping her up ...Wow! what's happened here? I noticed the gapping hole in the outer material where the zip should have been. Thankfully the bladder was still intact....no holes. What I did was, lower the pressure in the bladder till I could grip the two sides of the zip together. While my daugther held that I set about with the extra strong duct tape [Gorilla tape] I got from eBay. Would definitely recommend...super strong and water proof too. Patched the gap with several layers criss-crossing for added strength. Re-inflated the bladder and waited.....waited a little longer.....just a wee bit longer! OK, now for the water test. Launched...climbed aboard and paddled off. We decided that today was a good for it's first outing of the year. Unpacked it yesterday for a check over. Inflated her and left her all night next door, seats and everything in. Was very happy to find her intacked and still fully inflated when |I checked her just now. We'll be off soon for an afternoon paddle at our favourite practise spot. Dale Roads in Pembrokeshire.
    She doesn't look very pretty with her massive black 'plaster' but although battle scared she's still very fit for action. I re fell in love with her yesterday and hope to have many pleasant days paddling during the coming months.
    Bit long winded but hope it helps.....
    Take Care
    Sue

bye for now, may the paths of our paddles cross someday...

Sorry, i need to post once more before i can post links.

Seriously thinking about buying a Colorado, and am in the process of looking at prices.

Id rather buy something like this from a store, but ive checked Gooutdoors site, and they come at £400, pump and paddle included http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sevylor-...ak-kit-p272792
    Might go up to my local Gooutdoors at the weekend to see what they've got in stock and if their in-store prices are any diffrent.

On amazon however, its £221, Pump and paddle included. Cut down from £509. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sevylor-Colo...vylor+colorado

Its putting me off a bit, being such a big price cut and no reviews. But its bound to be ok as its Amazon themselves selling it?
    Its a pretty big saving,so id probably go for it.Im just curious if anyone can tell from the picture on Amazon, are the seats totally removable on that version?

That's a good deal, and yes those seats do remove, I have the same model but in blue. Do you know what the delivery cost are?

Thanks,thought they did from the looks of it, but wasnt too sure. Planning on sleeping in it if (or when ) i get one, so good to know.

Doesnt seem to tell me delivery cost, says they hand it over to a specialist carrier. Went through the buying process to where i pick delivery options and it just says First class (carrier will call you on 05313.....etc)
    Would hope its not too much.

Nice i have a sevylor ranger and im a big guy it happily takes me solo the seats come out as do all there boats seats i believe mine has cordura covered seats very snazzy lol in khaki my favorite color when i bought it the guy insisted i left it inflated when we tried her the first time it seemed lop sided obvious now that one of the bladders had twisted round some i took some pics of the gf in it and made her look good in it alas she didn't do me the courtesy back [IMG][/IMG]

i know i should of had a life jkt on but its a very shallow lake we made sure we where always in 3ft of water, you can see my bladders are over inflated as the guy had left it in the garage 5 years or so inflated, not a good thing but she still works well tracks ok due to the twin skegs and im a noob paddled once and if paddled slow i could stay in a straight line it comes with pressure gauges built in, i do have to say my gf paddled much better then myself but then you can see im leaning back and not really trying too hard
    Wandering hearts meet on the trails of life

60. Default

How does the New 2012 Colorado and Tango compare?
    Does any one know if the Decathlon Sirocco has the backpack system of the Newer Colorado?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast