Thread: OCSG @ Barton Turf : 1st - 5th June, 2012

Default OCSG @ Barton Turf : 1st - 5th June, 2012

An invitation to the Norfolk Broads: 1st - 5th June, 2012...

As last year (written up in the September 2011 Gossip), Barton Turf Adventure Centre will be hosting the Open Canoe Sailing Group for a summer meet... and this year, we've got an extra day planned (and scope for people to stay on and enjoy a longer break). We're also booked in at a better time of year for enjoying the outstanding local flora and fauna.

Please note: non-members are most welcome - if you're interested in Canoe Sailing, please join us!

This is an exceptional opportunity to explore the Norfolk Broads from an idyllic base, and with excellent hosts. The launching point is onto one of the two finest Broads in Norfolk, and aside from great canoeing / canoe sailing, the area offers great walking and cycling opportunities.
    Last edited by GregandGinaS; 4th-May-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Practical matters....

The campsite will be available from Friday afternoon (3pm onwards). We will be sharing with the Wanderer's (sailing dinghy) Association, but there's loads of space for everyone: the site is vast and the anticipated attendance is modest! Members with trailers or larger vehicles are encouraged to approach via Neatishead as the alternative route in has a 3/4 mile stretch without suitable passing places.

Accommodation: own-tent camping will be 5 per person per night (maximum 12 per pitch); permanent tents with fixed beds are available at 10 per person per night (own sleep bag essential). Five caravans/campervans can be accommodated, and for these ADVANCE BOOKING IS ESSENTIAL. Please contact bookings@btac-services.co.uk (though all the places may already be taken).

Meals: those attending are welcome to cater for themselves, but breakfast will be available at 5 a head, as will lunch, and evening meals will be available at 10 a head. Again advance booking is needed (else BTAC may not have enough food). Last year, everyone joined in with one most agreeable evening BBQ: we'd like to do the same again on the Saturday night (2nd June).

Broads Licence / Toll: Membership of the BCU includes usage of the Broads navigation area, at no extra cost, provided that at all times your membership card is carried with you. All others will either have to pay a Race Craft Toll of 4.32 per day for a maximum of two consecutive days or else arrange to pay an appropriate short visit or annual toll.

All payments for camping and food, and the 4.20 / day Race Craft Toll will be payable direct to Barton Turf Activities Centre.

Enquiries - just ask here!

Advance booking forms can be downloaded from http://www.btac-services.co.uk/rally...ing%20form.pdf
    Last edited by GregandGinaS; 4th-May-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Some may be looking to Norfolk as a way to escape Jubilee celebrations: easy enough in our vast network of wetlands. Anyone worried about missing out on such celebrations can rest assured that lots will be happening on the doorstep, including a water pageant, raft race and picnic.

If I can get hold of the programme, I'll post it...

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post
    An invitation to the Norfolk Broads: 1st - 5th May, 2012...
    Have you got those dates right? It's the 4th May today!
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.

Ooops - have edited what I can and will send a message sent to the Mods over the thread title.

The event runs Friday 1st June to Tuesday 5th June, 2012.

That's the double-bank holiday weekend (and for many families, half term): just 4 weeks away

Finally had a moment to look up some photos from last year: not mine - in the OCSG Facebook albums..

The venue, Barton Turf Adventure Centre:

Me on Barton Broad:

Other Expedition Rigs on Barton Broad:

Anthony and his son in my Jensen... having absconded with my daughter:

Others on the river:

A picnic at Neatishead:

...and Wayne's cedar-decked Sheerwater:

Joe and I looking forward to coming along to this after not embarassing ourselves too much with our beginner's antics at Rutland Water.

Hoping to be there too, having never been to East Anglia before let alone the Broads, really looking forward to it

Over on the Nancy Oldfield Trust page, someone reported seeing 2 Osprey on Barton Broad the other day: a great reminder of just what a superb spot we're visiting!

Well... aside from myself and my crew (organising) and Simon and Sheila (hosting), it looks like we've got a fair crew arriving:
    • Dave, Hilary, Keith and Ann coming down from Cumbria
    • Andrew coming across from Devon
    • Declan, Unk Tantor, Jonathan, Peter and Lata coming up from the SE
    • Arthur, Andy and another Dave arriving from somewhere-or-other
    • A host of folk from Suffolk - Joe, Fredster, Julian, Cathy and Steve H
    • Greg C dropping by at some point

We've had a few apologies as well: nice to hear from Hannah, Rich and Paul (all Suffolk), and Pauline (via Facebook).

I think Dave , Jan and Oliver will be coming , but they dont do SOTP or Facebook, and i assume many other members don't. Hopefully that will mean even more turning up.

Well.. the forecast for the weekend looks pretty reasonable: sunshine and a nice breeze!

Any more takers? The more the merrier....

sorry, I have to bail on this weekend, I'm off to Devon instead for a last minute family gathering
    I will be taking my canoe though!

Some changes... in that I've just had confirmation that Jeff and Ellen are coming down from Yorkshire...

Also, Arthur believes he's convinced his friend David (another local Norfolk paddler and sailer) to come along, complete with his new Hugh Horton Bufflehead - built for him over the winter and possibly the first built in the UK.

The Facebook attendance list now also includes "CanoeAdventureNorfolk"....

So an update... aside from myself and my crew (organising) and Simon and Sheila (hosting), it looks like we've got a fair crew arriving:
    • Jeff and Ellen are coming down from Yorkshire
    • Keith and Ann coming down from Cumbria
    • Andrew coming across from Devon
    • Declan, Jonathan, Peter and Lata coming up from the SE
    • Jenny, Arthur, Dave and "CanoeAdventureNorfolk" coming by from locally in Norfolk
    • Andy and perhaps another Dave arriving from somewhere-or-other
    • A host of folk from Suffolk - Joe, Fredster, Julian, Cathy and Steve H
    • Greg C dropping by at some point

Hope to Unk Tankor, Dave and Hilary and Dave, Jan and Oliver plus Hannah, Rich and Paul (all Suffolk), and Pauline (via Facebook) at future events!

Hi from Mark and Cindy
    We meet up with a few of you at Rutland Water on the Sunday (a bit windy for us) as we are new to sailing. We would like to come along to Barton Broad as this is close to us in Halesworth Suffolk. We have booked in for camping will arrive on Saturday evening hope this is OK as we are not members?
    See you at the weekend
    Mark

Question:

I don't have a BCU membership (predominantly briny paddler) and I've left it a bit late to sort it out now. Will I be able to pay the short visit toll at the Activities Centre?

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Question:

I don't have a BCU membership (predominantly briny paddler) and I've left it a bit late to sort it out now. Will I be able to pay the short visit toll at the Activities Centre?
    If you join on line you get your membership number emailed to you instantly,I don't know if just having a number will be acceptable.
    I did this in anticipation of going to Barton, I had to wait a week to get the physical licence card, which I now see they have made in some new fangled waterproof material rather then thin card, as was the case when I was last a member!

Quote Originally Posted by mark jackson View Post
    We have booked in for will arrive on Saturday evening hope this is OK as we are not members?
    That's most certainly OK: looking forward to meeting up

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Will I be able to pay the short visit toll at the Activities Centre?
    IN a word, yes!

Quote Originally Posted by unk tantor View Post
    If you join on line you get your membership number emailed to you instantly
    That should be OK. I've never even been challenged to produce my card.. but those I've dealt with in the Broads Authority have come across as reasonable folk!

Default Firm bookings (AFAIK)

To confirm, I've got forms so far from:
    Mark Jackson + Claire Reeve
    Julian Taylor + Cathy
    Steve Hawksley
    Dave Bursnall + Chris
    Declan Morton
    Pete Nobes + Lata

and I know about:
    Keith Morris + Ann
    Greg Spencer + Gina + Eleri

Greg's given me his list, but I say again, if you don't contact us then we won't be feeding you (not even at the BBQ on Saturday night!)

We're overbooked on caravans by the way, so anyone coming in a campervan needs to assure us that they will be "sleeping in a tent"

You can get our booking form at http://www.btac-services.co.uk/rally...ing%20form.pdf
    and, contrary to other advice, you CAN email it to us, if you have the means to edit it. (Sorry, I'm not up to Acrobat Forms just yet; need to go read the manual more)

Cheers

I have bad news

Something has come up and I can't make it .

Will try to get out to the next one hopefully.
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)