Thread: Repairing the old mans canoe..

Default Repairing the old mans canoe..

G'day i have just embarked on repairing a fibre glass canoe my dad built that got banged around for the past ten or s0 years under his house.

I have repaired all the cracks and holes that were in it by using the same fibre glass techniques I've used repairing surfboarss for years and im quite happy with how it has come up.

My Questions are now about how to finish it off. I'd Ideally like to Change the colour and id like to paint it.. I dont know what i need to do here for this..... Do I just Sand the whole canoe and then paint it with a marine paint, or is there more to it. I'm aware that the paint will chip and damage with use but if i know how to do it right i am happy to touch it upas needed. I'm hoping someone can help with the following issues.

1) preparation prior to painting,
    2)the right Types of paints to use
    3) Whether or not there is a finish that i need to apply after painting ( or perhaps before)

also i hear a lot of talk about gel coats etc. can some one explain to me what a gel coat is and should i be applying it to the areas ive repaired as sanding of the area has removed some of the " Shine" that was previously there.

Sorry for My questions but i really have no idea on this issue..

Brad

G`day , The gel coat is the coloured layer a few mil thick on the outer layer of the fibreglass, no need to worry about this if you are going to paint it.
    You will need to clean the canoe and use marine paint and undercoat. Something like " International Toplac " paint. I have used that for years on 20 foot boats and it gives
    a good hardwearing finish.
    Good luck with it. Pics afterward on the water please.
    So we beat on,boats against the current,bourne back ceaselessly into the past.

cheers.

that is exactly how i was hoping it could be done well within the ranges of my capabilities
    Thanks for your help