Thread: Loch, rivers and sun. A cracking mix.

Default Loch, rivers and sun. A cracking mix.

I had read a wee bit about Loch Faskally, the Tummel and the Garry so with a new volunteer to sit and give me power up front we headed off to the power station for a cloudy launch with the promise of sun later.
    Negotiated the power station outflow with bit of a ferry glide and headed up to the Linn of Tummel. Fond memories of coming in the other direction in my kk but too low today.

Parked the boat up and went for a wee wander on the rocks and a peer in the rock pools at the wild life, used to think you could only do this by the sea!

Chris enjoyed playing on the rocks.

As the sun started to break through the murk we headed round the corner and up the Garry.

Some fairly hard paddling required and a brief stop to remove some fishing line from the trees,

led to a shallow fast rapid which we could not paddle up, so out with Chris and out with the pole for my first chance to use it for real. Failed on first attempt but made it second, no technique to speak of so any comments/criticism welcome.

Next rapid was beyond me so a brief carry round it on the endless stony beach and back in for a nice gorge paddle.

Got a bit beyond the foot bridge before the gradient picked up and stopped futher progress, some surpirsing powerful wee jets to get through added to the fun and exertion.

Had anther wee play on the rock walls on the way back down, routes from the boat are always novel.

Then Chris decided it was a bit warm so cooling off was in order, better him than me.

So a quick paddle down for the lunch and the obligatory . Only downer was that I forgot the coffee and milk so no warming drinks today.

Saw two other big groups on the way back and spied the lauch site on the other side by the fishery place. I think I would use the power station again, but park right at the far end of the car park where water access looked easier.
    Quick dash home for the school run, day number 8 and possibly the biggest smiles yet, love having this almost on the doorstep.
    Last edited by AndyD; 4th-May-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Very nice!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Faskally is nice....Love Loch Tummel too Spent most summer hols there as a kid.
    My belt holds my pants up, but the belt loops hold my belt up.
    I don't really know what's happening down there. Who is the real hero?

Glad to see that scenery! On the poling, you might reverse the boat so you could stand closer to the center and have more room to shift your weight.

Thanks EZ, makes sense. I got the impression I should just be poling on one side, but with the force required to get up the rapid I found I didn't have time to pole then rudder. Felt more like I was doing aikido!
    Good fun and all part of the learning process.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

Like the rock climbing straight from the canoe!

Nice one.

In the cool of the evening by the last light of the triple sun, I wait by the go-tree when the day's busy work is done...

Crow Trip Log