Thread: Places to paddle near Gloucester

Default Places to paddle near Gloucester

Hi everyone.

Relatively new to this and recently bought an inflatable Z-Pro Tango. Had a few trips out and did Purton to Sharpness Docks at the weekend. Where can you recommend for easy paddles in the area with good put in as i will probably be with my 10 year old son.

Thanks in advance.

Hello & Welcome,

Sadly I don't know the area well, so can't recommend anything. There'll be plenty of others on here who do though! As well as the canal & Severn, you're not that far from the Upper Thames there...

Paddle Points is a map-based database of places to paddle that is slowly being added to by paddlers everywhere, but there's not yet much for your immediate area. Might be useful though: http://www.paddlepoints.co.uk/Paddle...ion=gloucester

Canoe Days Out has a couple of trips on it: http://www.canoedaysout.com/county.htm
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

The Avon above Tewkesbury is not too far away. The easiest parking and put ins that I know of are at Eckington Bridge, Pershore bridge and Jubliee bridge near Fladbury. Also if you want to go further than Stratford on Avon there is a carpark and easy put in on the A439 about a mile NE outside the town. You can paddle upstream from there on a very nice quiet bit of the river to Alveston weir.

The Wye is only a 1/2 hour trip from you. Kernes Bridge has a good access point. Canoe hire firm also goes from there which can provide a return ride from Symonds Yat.
    On the Thames, there's a free carpark (lay-by)about 1/4 mile East of St Johns Lock nr Lechlade. Easy entry there too. If you want to make a w/e of it, there's Second Chance Campsite right on the side of the river about 3m North of Cricklade. (from 12/night)

Thanks for the input already. Now for the questions....

I have thought about the Avon, is it easy to paddle both ways to avoid a shuttle back. I know Tewkesbury and Bredon well but not sure if the current would be too strong to paddle against for a newbie?? I am sure the Wye would definitley need to be a one way paddle?

Flow on the Avon depends on the volume in the river.

I was there in July last year. I did all my paddles as there and backs and I didn't really notice much difference, wind was more of a problem.

An inflatable would probably be more effected by current than a hard shell though.

Quote Originally Posted by stevel2006 View Post
    I have thought about the Avon, is it easy to paddle both ways to avoid a shuttle back. I know Tewkesbury and Bredon well but not sure if the current would be too strong to paddle against for a newbie?
    The Avon is pretty slow flowing most of the time, I paddled from Strensham, up past Eckington to Nafford yesterday with ease even though we've had quite a bit of rain. It may be slightly slower going in an inflatable but still a reasonably easy trip, I would think the wind would cause more problems than the flow.

I live near Strensham and am out paddling that stretch at least once a week so if you fancy meeting up for a paddle on the Avon in that area then give me a shout. We could easily do a shuttle and just go downstream if that's easier as we could just put your canoe in the back of my car and mine on top.

Jon.
    The SotP Wedding
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like Eckington will be the next adventure, easy access and parking. Being really thick which way does the Avon flow from there, down to Tewkesbury?

Quote Originally Posted by stevel2006 View Post
    Being really thick which way does the Avon flow from there, down to Tewkesbury?
    Bet you're not as thick as I was when I first put in there.

For some reason I had an idea in my head that the car park was on the north side of the river so when I put in I paddled left under the bridge thinking I was going upstream. I had a map with me too and I couldn't see why it didn't match the things I was passing. It took a while before it dawned on me what I had done. Anyway I explored a extra stretch of the river.

So - from the carpark and facing the river, left and under the bridge goes downstream to Tewkesbury and right goes upstream to Pershore.

Hmmm best check that on google earth.