Thread: Super Yukon review

Default Super Yukon review

Hi all I was lucky enough to recently buy one of the super Yukons by Chris Randall. I think Iím right in saying this is a prototype but a final prototype.

I have a TI Yukon which I love canít rate this piece of kit high enough. So recently I had a trip to Loch Lomond and took it with me Now at 3kgs it isnít no light weight lol so I was worried about its usefulness against its weight. Its about One and a half times the size of a TI Yukon.

Now I have to say up front I love this bigger Yukon and I wish it was lighter, this trip change my initial thoughts on the Yukon, hat off to the wife who made the decision to get it lol. So no matter what else is said latter I will use it again as long as I donít have to carry it. I will be doing a blog about the trip as a whole and you will see that my first choice to cook on at first was the TI Yukon a no brainer really as I can assemble and get a fire going in it in my sleep. I also have the Kelly kettle plate which I never leave home
    without.

First impression when getting the kit out the packaging is how rubbish the bag is it doesnít clip closed or have Velcro and thereís no way its strong enough to hold the box especially when you take into account how and by whom these boxes are going to be used by, I felt the same regarding the TI bag also so I wasnít surprised at this. I kind of see that as an opportunity to practice my leather work skills lol.

Getting the monster out holding the Cordura bag you really get a sense of the size and weight of the box and get a sense of the kind of fire you can have, now letís get it out. 8 pieces of shinny metal J Having a lot of practice at getting the TI Yukon set up I used the same sequence of build on this and had no problems putting it together at all. It was a lot easier than I thought. First look at the assembled unit was positive fairly solid, no locking pins and the rear plate seems to be the main locking part.

On the kitchen table it was solid enough. Time to build it less than 2 mins. It measures 44.5cm long, 20cm wide and 17.5cm high . Rebadged it waiting for a trip a few months later.

Loch Lomond trip with my youngest son with both Yukonís in tow (really wasnít sure about the super Yukon). Build camp first priority cup of tea of course J decide to go with what i know so use my TI and Kelly kettle plate. Tea to important to experiment with lol. Finish camp time to make hot dogs on... yep you guessed it the TI yes Iím a luddite lol I got this great big shinny Yukon Iím too scared to use.

Finally I get the cahonies to have a bash with the new Yukon I have the same old problem with the TI that being the size of fire wood and fallout from the TI so I build the Super.

It sits there all shinny and new

So I go ahead and build a new fire in it and of it goes I decide to leave off 2 of the struts in the middle as Iím after a good fire not a cooking fire so to speak and I want to see how well it will cope with a good size blaze going, I know itís a risk as Iím leaving of the 2 struts which will help reduce the warping which will happen. I build the blaze up to a good intensity with a mix of hard woods and BBQ coals I brought so the fire wasnít only fairly big it was hot and it was a cold night down to about Zero. I used the boulder you can see as a shield and it was big enough to lean against me on one side my son on the other and still have safe clearance from the fire box so it was a big rock, My son and I stayed up till 11:30pm till all the light had gone and we could no longer see the big clouds moving and dropping their load on the North part of the Loch Ben Lomond was well capped in snow.

We were toasty having the box long ways between us meant we had a long fire which I just couldnít have done with the TI Yukon and I would have had to kept clearing up the spillage from TI, basically a lot more work.

Morning comes Iím sold on the super Yukon no question, now to look at the warping. You can see the warping on this photo of my son getting the breakfast fire going realy not very much considering the fire we had and how long the fire was burning id say from 5pm ish till 12am ish so approximately 7 hours.
    Warping wasnít too bad I could easerly fit the 2 struts back on it with only a little bending back to shape. So im happy at that.

Breakfast wasnít my best I burned my square sausage and set fire to my pan as I total underestimated the amount of heat lol never occurred to me that this would be a factor what a dumb ass. Never mind It never would have happened on the TI lol. The Kettle plate is a nice fit on the bigger Yukon, in the picture I have turned it to try and reduce how burned the breakfast is lol. But i had it the proper way for most of the cremation and then for my tea. One problem I found was on the ground as we were on i.e. sandy the back plate kept sliding up as you can see in this picture I feel a locking pin in there would vastly reduce the overall moving that could happen.

You can see some of the warping on the picture taken back at the ranch. Nothing a little hammering wonít solve but I have to say it was a intense fire.

The super Yukon is well worth the money I think itís simple the middle struts are well placed and you can fit a 2 good size pans safely. The box is a good enough size that my son could build the start of the fire then have the room to use the fire steel without splattering the fire and grazing his knuckles on the side like he does on the TI. The size of the fire is great and about the size I like.

Well thats all folks hope its usefull. If ive missed anything please ask

Thanks for the feedback: a useful review.

The bag is pretty minimal. I put velcro on the first few I made but was never really happy that it worked well enough to be worth the hassle. Clips would be good but it would probably add a few quid to the cost and be a fiddle to put on. A strong zip bag is the best option but I'm a fairly minimalist seamster and would probably end up throwing my toys out of the pram trying to get it right. Kim, who is making the bags now and mailing the stoves in the UK, could probably manage it but I don't really want to push my luck too much in the amount of her time I take up.

Would definitely be nicer if lighter. It could be done by forming ridges in the plates or rolling the edges of thin sheet but I don't sell enough to cover the tooling costs.

The last few I have sent out have a couple of pins that locate in the rear plate to stop it being lifted out inadvertently.

I see that someone else on here is now selling a very similar box so folk can look at that one too. I see that one is cheaper but if anyone thinks I am getting rich out of this they are welcome to have all the money I made last year from selling fireboxes...

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

I finally got to try mine in anger over the easter break. I have to agree that it is very much up to the standard of my original yukon. On this occasion I was using it for a fire to sit round in the evening rather than for cooking on. Like macworm I did find some warping but certainly not anything that would affect the future usability of the firebox. I do agree that a pin to secure the back plate and keep it all securely together would be a great improvement but I see that Chris is already on to this. As far as weight goes I don't really have a problem with the weight of it as I will be mainly using it for paddling trips or car camping and as such am not really gramme counting.
    I have to say another quality product from Chris.

Hi chris, Sorry if I sounded negative on the bag mate I bought the fire box for the concept and build quality, not the bag. I know this was a home industry so to speak. Glad youd already spotted the back plate pin thing. I agree with chris241 another quality box from you guys. The super yukon box will go with me on all canoe camping trips

It was probably justified but was a little blunt!

I'm always amazed at the quality of many home sewed products, knowing the amount of care it takes to go beyond workmanlike to top notch. It usually takes me a few attempts to get something right so the bag design was just something we knew could be put together in spare moments between walking the dog, feeding the chickens and doing the washing up etc.

Happy to keep making stuff as long as people want it. If only I could sort the titanium stuff out then life would be great. I have some sheets sitting in tghe UK, enough for a few Yukons but the logistics for getting it cut are a bit complicated right now.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Looks great, still can't justify it though! My standard heavyweight Yukon is so good anyway...

As for bags, after over 2 years and many, many uses, the Yukon is looking a little dirty & slightly warped...but the cordura bag is holding up just fine, despite much abuse. The only thing I've ever thought could be improved was somewhere to keep the little hook/clips in, but as somebody upturned those in to the Thames ages ago anyway, that's the least of my worries (they were replaced with "R" type clips)!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Looks great, still can't justify it though! My standard heavyweight Yukon is so good anyway...

As for bags, after over 2 years and many, many uses, the Yukon is looking a little dirty & slightly warped...but the cordura bag is holding up just fine, despite much abuse. The only thing I've ever thought could be improved was somewhere to keep the little hook/clips in, but as somebody upturned those in to the Thames ages ago anyway, that's the least of my worries (they were replaced with "R" type clips)!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post

I have found stainless split pins that fit perfectly in Canadian Tire over here so am supplying them clipped together on a fishing snap link. I could probably find a way of attaching this to the bag or directly to the stove to keep them safe. If anyone can point me to a source for cheap stainless pins in the UK I'll take a look. The rod for making the pins is cheap if I buy 30 meters or so at a time but it's a faff bending the tops over!

Talking of dropping things in the river... I dropped the threaded plastic plug off a Honda pump in the drink last week. The replacement cost me $26! Why they don't make them float is beyond me.

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Quote Originally Posted by macworm View Post
    I bought the fire box for the concept and build quality, not the bag.
    Hut Hum who bought it .... ?? LOL

macworm has made a leather satchel bag for the ti yukon - spent hours on it but it looks good, now he needs to get working on the one for the super yukon

a super yukon in titanuim would be great though, chris let me know if you manage to get them cut, would defo buy one, cheers

To avoid losing the small pins I put mine on some hard springy galvanised wire bent to fit around the yukon.This keeps them together still folds flat and easy to look for when packing it all away.

If you lose your pins try the stainless steel brick ties. You can cut these down to the size you want.A bit thinner but still do the job.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wall-tie-2...ck-of-25/94893