Thread: Llyn Brianne revisited

Default Llyn Brianne revisited

Last weekend Magic Rat and I decided on another overnighter on Llyn Brianne. The forecast was dry but cold...

We launch at the top part of Llyn Brianne, only swimming seems to be banned at this point

Conditions were ideal even for a sail

Some off roaders had spent the night at the beach near the car park. They managed to get their vehicles on to the foreshore, leave their rubbish strewn around and a large tent and inner bedrooms draped over nearby trees??? After cutting out the guy lines we spent time clearing up the site and burning the tent on their still smoldering bonfire.

Weather turned and it started to sleet for a short while.

We don't normally venture near the carpark, not wishing to invite "official" attention

We found a good camping spot at the western side of the Llyn, away from everyone really. Although some one had found it before us and brought a large plastic sheet.

Soon had the bushcooker going, and a bottle of wine. Life was pretty good. Fire was going, it wasn't raining (it is Wales after all) and there was no wind.

Rohan was happy

After a really cold night, when our water bottles froze, the next morning was fantastic. Its always worth visiting Llyn Brianne.

There was a lone Canada goose waiting for us at the take out point.

Nice one Folks. A wee classic of it's kind. That looks like a spot well worth visiting. Well done you on the clearup.
    Regards,
    Stravaiger.
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I will go Canoeing. H. D. Thoreau.

"Waste of time reasoning with the morally demented"

Looks great......one to put on the to-do list.

Magic Rat......I think, in some of those pictures.....I spotted a green West winds Airedale Ventile jacket that you are looking for ......

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    Looks great......one to put on the to-do list.

Magic Rat......I think, in some of those pictures.....I spotted a green West winds Airedale Ventile jacket that you are looking for ......
    LOL...daughter wants one,to complete her Art student image.
    nice photos Fishy,especially the morning one with the water like glass.
    More the merrier next time ?
    reassuringly negative

lovely trip. Didn't fancy a trip down the giant water slide?
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Nice one guys. Really looks like a nice lake to paddle on.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

I love it when you get flat calm days and the lake is like a mirror. Looks like you found a great spot to camp too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    Nice one guys. Really looks like a nice lake to paddle on.

Thanks. Just a few minutes up the road from the Burial Chamber put in on the Towy.

There is a new canoe access sign and entrance gate at the Newbridge on Wye bridge, saw it this week. Think its new as I haven't noticed it before. Plenty of water from Rhayader to Newbridge when I drove alongside it on Wednesday. This is encouraging.

Looks like a great place!

There were plans for some bye laws prohibiting canoeing etc some time ago. What the score now regarding permissions?

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

You have some real nice pics in a great blogg, cheers mate!
    "Everyone looks after themselves
    only I look after myself"

Superb blogg.........looks like a really nice place to get away from it all!

Thanks for sharing

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Bucephalas View Post
    Looks like a great place!

There were plans for some bye laws prohibiting canoeing etc some time ago. What the score now regarding permissions?

I understand that the local council opposed the introduction of bye laws (good move by their Head of Legal Services). Permissions for access are being sought by Bob Andrews on this site but its progressing slowly. I have thought of writing to Welsh Water stating my intention to access Llyn Brianne and including a risk assessment.

Journal Entries

Hi Lads,

Thanks for the invite to join you but until my knee decides to behave I will continue to be a miserable s-d!

It seems that despite two of us reminding Dwr Cymru for an update - the response is silence.

Great blogg and pictures and good weather, to boot.
    Simms ..

15. Default

Fabulous pictures guys. Looks like you had a great time. Really wish I could have been there. I'm determined not to miss it next time. It's a "must-do" event.
    and there I was thinking I was clever for learning how to paddle...my dog's been paddling for years, and without a canoe !!

Journal Entries

Beautiful photos!
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Dunno how I missed this!

Looks lovely, I do quite fancy that one lads! Looks like a really good camping spot that, and you can't beat paddling on a mirror.

I'm overdue a trip down your part of the world...but am being a bit cautious with the money until the job situation is sorted!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Hi all.
    Does anyone know if the two rivers/streams coming into Llyn Brianne from the north are 'doable, particularly the one from the youth hostel at Dolgoch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grubby View Post
    Hi all.
    Does anyone know if the two rivers/streams coming into Llyn Brianne from the north are 'doable, particularly the one from the youth hostel at Dolgoch ?
    Try this link to UK rivers handbook for the area.

As to references to asking for permission, I wonder how much of an issue it is - just how often is there anyone around to say get off my water? That to my mind is the area's appeal - a better sense of peace that is remarkably difficult to get south of Scotland.

Thanks for the comments. Llyn Brianne is pretty special. Paddle it a few times now and have never seen anybody "official" around. Plenty of off road bikers, wild campers and the like and they don't seem to be getting problems. Wild camping by canoe gives you the option to keep to the more remote spots.