Thread: Rogen, Sweden

Default Rogen, Sweden

Hi all. Following a comment from Fred in another post I thought I would start a thread about the canoe area in Rogen, Sweden. It is a few years since I paddled there and perhaps other SOTP members have more up to date information. Rogen is an amazing paddling area with plenty of interesting features and a variety of paddling possibilities, from portages a-plenty to open lakes. Rogen can also be combined and complemented with a trip across the border into the Norwegian Femundsmarka National Park.

Paddle routes for Femundsmarka and Rogen can be found in Øystein Køhn's book: Hundre padleperler: en guide til de beste padlerutene i Norge (A Hundred Paddling Pearls: A guide to the best Paddle Routes in Norway). You've guessed it though, Øystein's book is, as far as I know, only available in Norwegian.

When my wife and I went to Rogen we were living in Denmark and took the ferry to Oslo. After about 9 hours (I think) we arrived in Funäsdalen, a small town across the border from Norway and the Femundsmarka area. Funäsdalen has a great campsite which we used as a base from which to organise our trip. You can email in advance to say you will be arriving in the middle of the night as we did, paying the next day. (This was a few years ago so ownership might have changed.)

You can basically buy everything you need in Funäsdalen, but as we use a Trangia, I can't really comment on fuel for other stoves like Colemans. But, there are, back in 2004 anyway, outdoor shops in the town that sell everything you might want.

There is another more rustic campsite closer to the very rough road into the paddling area. We used it the first year we went. When asking after a shower we were told we could use the river. The actual road out to the most popular put-in at Käringsjön is very dusty and will test your car's suspension. There are other areas to put in along the way, but the final point has an area like a car park (grass and gravel) with a farmhouse etc. We put 100 sek in an envelope with our number plate written on it and took off for our trip. I don't know how the system works now but it is only fair to pay for the parking.

We paddled for about 10 days and did a round route from Käringsjön through to Rödsjön, walking up to the Skedbrostugan (Youth Hostel), before portaging along a snowscooter path onto the Rogen lake before paddling back into Käringsjön.

This is the Käringsjön put-in. Back in 2004 and 2005 it was well-established with boardwalks and small channels leading into the lake.

In between portages there are a few rolling-roads for canoes to be pulled along - doesn't quite have the same effect with an ALLY.

The lake systems of Käringsjön and Rödsjön are a mix of short, open crossings and dense Caledonian Pine forests. I think it is Caledonian Pine anyway. There are plenty of mosquitoes and ants - huge anthills. We we lucky and paddled alongside an otter for a while. There are black bears in the area but I think they are mostly up on the mountainsides.

Great sunsets.

After a long, tough portage we found a lovely campsite in a bay on the Rogen lake itself.

Further up the Rogen lake the scenery opens up.

Beaches are fewer than one might like, but the lichen is soft to camp on. I wondered a bit about that, but there is plenty of it and not much alternative.

The mountains on the Swedish and Norwegian side are popular foe skiing in the winter.

Trumpet lichen!

The weather picked up every now and again, but it just made it more interesting.

Feeling invincible, I was bested by a small stream.

Rogen is a brilliant paddling area. We travelled from Denmark, through Norway. Sweden is cheaper than Norway but we lived in Denmark at the time and everywhere was cheaper than home. We took a rafting trip on the Klärälven in Sweden last year (2011) and could see that the exchange rate for the pound and the Swedish krone was awful - suddenly Sweden seemed expensive. But, almost everyone speaks English. The landscape is amazing, the roads are long and quiet - be aware of sudden appearances of elk and reindeer (further north). The speed limit in Norway and Sweden is strictly enforced and hellish expensive. The police are not frightened of booking foreigners and they demand payment on the spot.

We paddled Rogen in the summers of 2004 and 2005. In 2005 we actually went for Padjelanta but bit off more than we could chew on a crazy portage and returned to Rogen for a more gentle experience. Rogen is described in Øystein's book as a Paddler's Eldorado. I couldn't agree more!

Please add to the thread with more up to date information if you have any.

Now that is top rate information, thank you so much. We’ve booked our flights and hire car already. We’ll also be taking our Ally too….really looking forward to it now, after seeing your photos.

Once again, thanks for the info!

Fred & Kelly
    Last edited by scoutmaster; 14th-April-2012 at 07:05 PM.

yes great review, it is a great place to take a paddling trip, Both in Rogen and Femund. If you need any help on you trip just ask as i have a cabin just 15minutes from Femund.

Nick

Looks fantastic, the sort of place I really want to go to. Thanks for sharing the information and the great photos.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

We paddled for 6 days in Rogan in july 2007. Only downer was the weather - gray, wet and windy for 6 days. We spent one rest day on the big lake as it was too windy to paddle. The next morning we set off paddling at 6 am to cross it but at 7.30 am the wind had already got up again. The advantage of the bad weather is that we only saw 1 group of paddlers in 6 days! We combined the trip with a 3 day trip on the Isteren lake near Femund and a 4 day trip down the Trysil (for WW paddlers). The Isteren lake has nice sandy beaches which looked extremely attractive if you should have sunny weather.

Spent a month paddling in the Rogen nature reserve in 2009, well woth a visit.

Great photos Yarrow. Nice boat too!

Hi all, I am new on this forum.

Thank you for your post. I went two times to Rogen and I can confirm that this is one of the greatest experience you can have!

This summer, we planned a trip in norway, we will start from Oslo. Can you advise on a place to go, similar to Rogen but in norway? We would like to find a beautiful wild place to go paddling, fishing and camping for few days (sea or lake). Thank you in advance!!

9. Default

Trysil and Engerdal are my tips Engerdal contains Femund one of Norways Biggest Lakes and just over the border fro Rogan, it will take about 3 hours by car

http://www.trysil.no/en-gb/Activitie...ties/Kano.aspx
    http://www.engerdal.kommune.no/Modul...tegory.ID=5482
    http://www.femund-canoe-camp.com/

But there is good Canoe places in Oslo also
    http://www.visitnorway.com/en/Produc...istingsControl

Thank you very much for your answer!! These places look great!