Thread: Gas

Default Gas

Gear Acquisition Syndrome...

Thirty years ago not one paddler in twenty had heard of a throw-bag - and fewer still owned or had used one.

Now every beginner thinks it's a necessary piece of equipment for flat water use in the UK.

Ditto dry-suits.

There are similar fails in other river sports - take trout anglers - if you believe what the magazines say it is easy to wind up in chest-waders,fishing vest and life jacket - toting not just the traditional creel and fly-box - but a snake-bite kit, three different sizes of hemostat and both a thermometer and a barometer!

Cut the gear to the necessary minimum and have more fun.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

Yep. Too true!

What's the minimum though - paddle and boat?

Fine words butter no parsnips

Crow Trip Log

Port Clyde, America, (Mid-coast Maine) on the banks of the St. George River

Thats pretty hard to do if you are a GEAR junkie tho !!!!!!!! and then you have the air bags!!!!
    Best Scottie

Over here, we have to carry a floating throwline at least 15 meters long, by Federal law. A bag is just an easy way to cover that requirement.

Same for pfd's, bailer & airhorn or pealess whistle. Sometimes the gear isn't there from choice.

And, btw, NO-ONE uses a dry-suit (except some yakkers), airbags, helmets or trolleys. I'm just sayin'.....

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r View Post

And, btw, NO-ONE uses a dry-suit (except some yakkers), airbags, helmets or trolleys. I'm just sayin'.....
    That's a fairly sweeping statement! Plenty of folks I know use the first three, less so the fourth.

I have airbags on my Mistral as it would sink if swamped!

I suspect you just said it to wind the folks back in Blighty up!

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall View Post
    That's a fairly sweeping statement! Plenty of folks I know use the first three, less so the fourth.

I have airbags on my Mistral as it would sink if swamped!

I suspect you just said it to wind the folks back in Blighty up!

Chris
    Nope. Truth. Dunno where, or how much you've paddled over here, but in over 50 years of paddling the backcountry all over North America i, myself, have never ever seen a single drysuit, airbag or helmet out there. Maybe it happens at whitewater meets or something, but in the bush - never seen 'em. ever.

I might want my drysuit for paddling on a loch in winter, or perhaps on Lake Superior. But for bush travel with portages, it's hard for me to imagine having the right amount of insulation for paddling in the canoe, and for slogging over portages. Portaging could be rough on drysuits, and renewing a gasket or sewing a tear could cut into the travel plan. In most cases, the best plan for dealing with a long, cold swim is, don't have one.

For the San Juan canyons in Utah, and for Slickrock Canyon on the Dolores, I left the float bags in my ww canoe, though the rapids weren't very difficult. On the San Juan, I didn't wear a helmet, the other customers didn't, and our Maine Guides were often poling down the river, standing, without helmets. I think helmets might have been needed more on our side canyon expeditions.

Over here, we have to carry a floating throwline at least 15 meters long, by Federal law. A bag is just an easy way to cover that requirement.

Same for pfd's, bailer & airhorn or pealess whistle. Sometimes the gear isn't there from choice.

Oh yes they do...maybe you were not at some Wilderness Canoe Symposia? I have seen some half dozen presentations with dry suits in evidence.. You know..those Far North trips where they find the route has not thawed out yet.

I use a drysuit on Lake Superior solos..its not a popularity contest but a means to avoid dying of cold.

Not trying to start an argument here but the "No-ONE" rang hollow.
    "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing." WS-prophecy about internet postings.

Journal Entries

Gear junkies have never had to portage. It is like a right of passage though.

If they ever had to portage (on a real portage trail) they either evolved into a real canoeist and were no longer gear junkies or they went extinct and never became real canoeists.

You know; the extinct ones are easy to spot as they whine and bitch about hating to portage as they make coffee in some $300 rocket engine under a mug, and sit in a folding chair with their feet on a cooler.
    Lloyd

I never pay attention to anything by "experts". I calculate everything myself.
    Richard Feynman.

www.senseaboutscience.org

horses for courses, i suppose.
    i prefer to travel light with minimum gear and fuss.
    for me it works like this: the less stuff and weight i carry, the more i enjoy travelling.

but i don't have a problem with the gear junkies being weighted down by all that clutter as long as it keeps them entertained. it also keeps them away from the good spots. and somebody needs to keep the economy going, after all

Over here, we have to carry a floating throwline at least 15 meters long, by Federal law. A bag is just an easy way to cover that requirement. .....
    And what do you do with one of those on a solo trip? How often have you used it on a solo trip - for real.

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    ...Cut the gear to the necessary minimum and have more fun.
    Disposable income = gear. Thirty years ago I daresay there was less disposable income hence less lovely gear.

Re drysuits, its probably safe to say they have saved lives in a few instances over the years, is that really a bad thing?

30 years ago people drove around in Morris Marinas. It is now 30 years since 30 years ago, move on fella.
    Last edited by fredster; 13th-April-2012 at 07:15 AM.

Journal Entries

And what do you do with one of those on a solo trip? How often have you used it on a solo trip - for real.
    Rescue drunks from rapids
    Tow an inflatable of a lake
    Tarp Ridge line
    Small pillow

So far anyway. I may eventually use it to hang myself if it is close by the next time Greg starts posting opinions cloaked in numbers, but so far I do not have a smart phone that would allow me to read the forum on a trip.
    Lloyd

I never pay attention to anything by "experts". I calculate everything myself.
    Richard Feynman.

www.senseaboutscience.org

Only as a clothesline, or a dog leash when there's a porcupine nearby......

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
    Oh yes they do...maybe you were not at some Wilderness Canoe Symposia? I have seen some half dozen presentations with dry suits in evidence.. You know..those Far North trips where they find the route has not thawed out yet.

I use a drysuit on Lake Superior solos..its not a popularity contest but a means to avoid dying of cold.

Not trying to start an argument here but the "No-ONE" rang hollow.
    ok. Point taken. I was a trifle hyperbolic. But, I stand by the gist of my remarks - it's pretty unusual, and it is absolutely true that I personally have never ever seen such things out in the bush.

As for 'Symposia', no, I avoid 'em like the plague.

ok. Point taken. I was a trifle hyperbolic. But, I stand by the gist of my remarks - it's pretty unusual, and it is absolutely true that I personally have never ever seen such things out in the bush.

As for 'Symposia', no, I avoid 'em like the plague.

OTOH the last thing I want to wear or take on a portage is a dry suit..Make swiss cheese pretty fast. Ergo on our next Algonquin trip we will just walk on water like everyone else if flipped! That is the approach to most trippers.. ( I went to the Arctic once..its too expensive. I like armchair travel at Symposia ..I like to explore if only vicariously)

Dry suits don't make sense if you don't need em often. And fer sure we don't stuff every space with a float bag on flatwater.

OTOH guilty as charged of CAS..have room for them..are the all necessary? Dunno.. if the aim is to just to get out there! But its fun to choose the daily canoe wardrobe.
    Last edited by yellowcanoe; 13th-April-2012 at 01:00 PM.

This weekend I'm helping out at a local Youth Service Open Day(s).

The pond to paddle on is about 100m or yards across, sheltered by trees and no water borne hazards.

But all who paddle on it, have to wear a HELMET, sadly even me if I want to help out.

Buoyancy bags (why), throw lines (why), painters (I approve) in all canoes.
    Most instructors wear dry suits???? (gas)

At another Youth Service place, there was talk of a powered safety boat for canoeing or kayaking session. My opinion on that was don't ask me to help out if you get a power boat.

Elf & Safetea gone mad.

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post

30 years ago people drove around in Morris Marinas.
    Move with the times, 30yrs ago the marina was already "old school" we were driving morris itals !.

Rob

Got me there Dogman!

My brother had a Morris Marina Coupe, quite possibly the ugliest car this country has ever produced (excluding the Princess of course). The guy he purchased it from had put a slab of steel in the boot (US - trunk). It was 3 inches thick, 12 inches wide and 3 foot long and couldn't be lifted by mere mortals. It was there, he explained, to sort out the woeful handling. The effectiveness of this upgrade was brought into question when my brother spun the car first time he went round a bend in the wet. Good times!

Anyway, back on topic - DOWN WITH MODERNITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Got me there Dogman!

My brother had a Morris Marina Coupe, - DOWN WITH MODERNITY!!!
    Ahh but they were a 1.7 twin carb, a beast indeed !.

I owned a 1.8 estate &(at the same time, glutton for punishment !)a 1.3 ital estate.

Rob

The Morris Marina Coupe looks an awfully lot like a Chevy Nova II I had.. Ugliness knows no political boundaries.

Here is some more of the 150 worst cars ever made. Is one of yours here?
    Somehow I think this is a hijack of a canoe gear thread..and I should know better.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=384525
    Last edited by yellowcanoe; 13th-April-2012 at 05:30 PM.

There is some right turkeys there, & i've owned a couple..

Rob

"Dear I will just put this spare three man tent in the canoe for our summer afternoon paddle on the canal just in case we get stranded, now makes sure the airbags are blown up and you have your drysuit on right."

My first paddle on coniston consisted of a canoe, a paddle, a BA, a carrier bag with my lunch and a sense of adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by dougoutcanoe View Post
    This weekend I'm helping out at a local Youth Service Open Day(s).

The pond to paddle on is about 100m or yards across, sheltered by trees and no water borne hazards.

But all who paddle on it, have to wear a HELMET, sadly even me if I want to help out.
    I know what you're getting at! However, having done a lot of coaching of youngsters (mostly 10 - 13 year olds) in kayaks and canoes, I normally make them wear helmets - and I even wear my own - for the first couple of kayaking sessions, until they've acquired a bit more control over their paddles. I know that it has saved a few cut or bumped heads! Hell hath no fury like a 10-year-old whirling a kayak paddle around like a demented drum major! As I tell them, those things on the end of the stick aren't called 'blades' for nothing!

For canoeing, it's totally different, but then canoeing is a far more social and civilised activity than kayaking is!
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.

That all sounds quite 'Alice' if you know what I mean....

This is how we learned to canoe - that was a BIG lake too - 15' canvas/cedar boat - bathing suits,paddles, and what passed for lifejackets in those days (not tied up, and doffed as soon as our folks were out of sight....).

That was 1957 - I think - might have been '56, I can't remember (that's me in the stern.... ), and I really really don't see what has changed all that much to require all these machinations nowadays just for kids to have a paddle & learn some stuff.

Guilty as charged oh and i've just joined the jet powered mug club.
    Seriously though before i go on a trip i generaly know what kind of portages, if any, are involved . If base camping i do tend to to take a little more than most folk but i do like my toys.
    On a recent trip it was preplanned to do a proper cook session involving lots of cast iron but i would never take this on a multi camp trip.
    Most trips in britain, with the exception of some Scotish Lochs, are close to the original car park or within a couple of hundred yards and a portage may only be around a wier or other obsticle.
    I do carry two throw lines and i have air bags but i have had to ustilise both recovering a pinned boat.

Roy