Thread: Peterborough 14 - Finished at last

Default Peterborough 14 - Finished at last

[IM

At last its finished, having, for various reasons taken all winter.
    Construction is 4mm marine ply, coated with West System epoxy
    Weight is 21.2kg (46.6lb)

G][/IMG]

Got a bit carried away with the decks though !!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I am not sure if I have got my head round posting pikkies, so will submit this and see what happens

Ancient Mariner
    All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure. (Mark Twain)

Well done - boat finished, pictures posted.

Now we're waiting for the maiden voyage pictures.

Hoping for the first paddle toward the end of the week. Not sure about Saturday, its the 14th ! Still, the Thames should be ice free !
    I must say I really like the lines of the Peterborough - all credit to Selway Fisher for a great design.

Trouble is I now have too many canoes, so something will have to go, but it will be a hard choice - Sea Eagle or Baby Raven ?

Ancient Mariner

Very nice and well done for keeping the weight down. We'll have to meet up for a paddle some time.

Jon.
    The SotP Wedding
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

Wow. Isn't "Plouf" a beautiful build.

Kev.

Beautiful build there! Let's see it in the water!

[QUOTEjondavy Very nice and well done for keeping the weight down. We'll have to meet up for a paddle some time. [/QUOTE]

That would be good. I did Fladbury to Pershore last year, a very pleasant paddle. Sometimes go from Bredon (the slip at Fleet Lane) if I just want a short trip.

Ancient Mariner

Well done, good to see another on the water.

Nice to see your bow paddler let you fit buoyancy tanks
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Excellent piece of work, sir! I love the name. Isn't 'Plouf' the French for 'Splash!"?

We'll try to get some evening meets up and running soon. Would be great to meet up again and to see your new boat up close and personal!
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.

How did you keep the inside seams so tidy? No "white" lines from thicked,cream coloured epoxy and filler...?

Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    How did you keep the inside seams so tidy? No "white" lines from thicked,cream coloured epoxy and filler...?
    Oh yes there are !

Well, just a few whitish bits where the resin foamed a bit, but successive coats of varnish have helped to hide them. I used brown filler which almost matched the darker colour of the ply.
    The biggest problem was that I waited four weeks after resin coating before varnishing, and still the varnish wouldn't dry. The usual procedure of wiping down with white spirit, sanding and re-varnishing worked ok though.

Can't wait to get it in the water. I wonder if it will leak ? I'll report in due course.....

Ancient Mariner

Did you use a standard filler, or did you mix in some coloured powder yourself with the silica etc, and if so, what! I have been trying to think of some inert brown powder. If I use powdere nutmeg or something, I can get that authentic wood smell.. well, maybe not under the epoxy !

Did you use a standard filler, or did you mix in some coloured powder yourself with the silica etc, and if so, what! I have been trying to think of some inert brown powder. If I use powdere nutmeg or something, I can get that authentic wood smell.. well, maybe not under the epoxy !
    I think it was high density filleting blend, obtained from UK Epoxy Resins. (It also mixes well with Cascamite, although I am not sure if you should do this !)

Ancient Mariner

Journal Entries

Oooh! Missed this.

Congratulations!

Try the wood flour out of you beltsanders bag It will
    be the perfect colour match as well as being free

Journal Entries

....Only if you empty the bag and sand an offcut on the right face.

If you sand across the plies, the different coloured plies change the colour - even on the same piece of wood.