Thread: March sunshine on the Stort Navigation

Default March sunshine on the Stort Navigation

Just a quick photo of relaxing in the March sunshine on the Stort Navigation between Bishops Stortford and Sawbridgeworth, Herts. My SF Raven 14' (and my wife!)

Very jealous! I used to get my narrowboat blacked at Hallingbury Mill when we were moored at Sawbridgeworth. The whole of the Stort is a lovely navigation. You look like you are at a lock mooring spot - which one?

I believe it is Hallingbury Mill lock. We put in at Pig Lane in Stortford which is about 0.5 mile from my house. The main problem with the Stort is the number of locks which tend to scratch up my pride and joy!

Lovely picture! Sums up just about all that is great about canoeing. All it lacks is a brew!
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.

Looks lovely, would like to try the Stort, but last time I looked I had trouble finding places to leave the car anywhere near the river (at Stortford end)
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Half way between Sawbridgeworth and Stortford is the 3 Horseshoes pub - about 100 yards from the canal with an easy put in at the lock. If you asked them nicely . . .

I always put in at Pig Lane (Google map it). There is always room for a few cars and there is a nice put in from a special platform that I think was installed for the kayakers (there is an active racing scene along this stretch).