Thread: How much do you cover in a day?

Default How much do you cover in a day?

OK, I appreciate it all depends, but... Let's say, a 16 foot canoe with two male paddlers of average abilities, not busting a gut but not having a nap either. Sort of enjoying themselves. Maybe with a shandy or two. Flat still water, no wind - e.g., a loch on a quiet day. A multi-day trip, in summer in the North (long days, then). Camping gear.
    Don't know, did I cover all variables? Ah, yeah, wooden paddles, the canoe is green and one of the paddler's name is John.
    What would you say is the average daily mileage?

Depends on how much paint you have

Yep, and how big the brush. No, but seriously?

LOL, seriously it depends on so many factors, the paddler's ability the water being paddled and of course the weather conditions. I would say from my point of view I would look towards 20 to 30 miles per day at a reasonable speed. That I think should equate to about 8 hrs including breaks etc.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

How long is a piece of string?

I recently did 15 miles one day and 25 the next. Solo. But I was knackered at the end. And I'm auld and unfit. Would normally do less.

Fine words butter no parsnips

Crow Trip Log

That's good going 15miles is a good distance to cover and shouldn't leave you knackered? My tip would be to find water on a downward slope works with the kids I coach.................lol

Journal Entries

40 in two days did, on the sea. But like I say, I'm not the fittest person out there.

Crow Trip Log

No tide, wind or flow..15mile should be a breeze in a day.. Slow'ish walking speed is a good comparison perhaps..
    ........Enthusiastically incapable .

With family, on a camping trip with 'convivial' lunch stop - say 8 miles

Flat out, in ICF race boat - easy to answer, did 125 miles yesterday!!

Quote Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
    My tip would be to find water on a downward slope works with the kids I coach.................lol
    Yep. A water slide
    A friend of mine told me once about a "tubing" trip he had when he worked in San Antonio Uni. All it takes is a truck inner tube each plus one for the beer, some sloping water and a hot Texan sunny day.You can imagine the rest.

It depends on whether you're more interested in the 'shandies' or the paddling!
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.com/

Depends on the scenery for me i like to chill and take it all in
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself before you can find anything....................

me and the mrs cover 15-20 miles in a day with no bother and plenty of brew(kk) stops and photo taking. and we are long past the time we were fit and young! a lot depends on how often you paddle, the more often afloat then the more stamina that you build up.
    sod work, im off for a paddle.

When we were younger we completed the OCA half marathon from Bridgenorth to Bewdley then continued down to Worcester for a charity paddle. This was cos we were challenged to do it by a "friend" who then chickened out!!!

My son (16 years old) and I did 21km in 3 hours and 8 seconds on lakes including a little portage. But there were two guys who made it in less than 2 hours.
    Dull Knives are the most dangerous ones.

Journal Entries

Usually it is better to figure on about 300km a week because there are good days and bad but you can also use your GPS to find your comfortable paddling speed and multiply it by the number of hours you find comfortable.

If you don't have a GPS just do a back of the envelope calculation after paddling a known distance.
    Lloyd

I never pay attention to anything by "experts". I calculate everything myself.
    Richard Feynman.

www.senseaboutscience.org

My only reference point was 115 kms with 9 kms of portages in 4 1/2 days. We stopped early on the 4th day because we had an extra day in our itinerary.

My string is about that long, and How Long is a chinaman.

With no wind and no tide and no portages I normally reckon on covering 3mph.

For what my opinion's worth, I think every individual has an optimum distance, beyond which paddling becomes more of a chore to be endured than a pleasure to be enjoyed. There are so many variables that affect that optimum distance for the individual paddler that the question is almost impossible to answer. It reminds me of the question "What is the difference between a duck?" I have paddled 25 miles in a day (tandem) and been knotally tackered! On other days I have covered less than 10 miles and equally knotally tackered! My advice: paddle until you're just about to stop enjoying it, then stop!
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.

Including stops & simple portages, I work on 2 mph with a load when solo on still calm water, so a full day would be say 15-20 miles. This allows plenty of time to enjoy the journey. I have done more reasonably easily, and less with difficulty!

On a river with flow, its very hard to judge, as it depends what you're doing & who you're with. I seem to remember we took 6 hrs to do the Dart Loop! (about 3 or 4 miles of whitewater!) We were a big group, playing about & learning though.

Tandem, I'd probably work on 3 mph for tripping. With my non-paddling 74 yr old dad on the Wye (with very modest flow) we averaged 4 mph with ease.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Journal Entries

By GPS We are averaging 2.4 mph when moving in our pirogues.

Distance...We have done 8 miles in an afternoon.

Usually 4 or 5 mies is enough for me.

Im 20 stone and have 7 kg of kit so my boat is very low in the water - oh and has an outrigger.

Average dropped to 1.4 with a novice with us.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    For what my opinion's worth, I think every individual has an optimum distance, beyond which paddling becomes more of a chore to be endured than a pleasure to be enjoyed. There are so many variables that affect that optimum distance for the individual paddler that the question is almost impossible to answer. It reminds me of the question "What is the difference between a duck?" I have paddled 25 miles in a day (tandem) and been knotally tackered! On other days I have covered less than 10 miles and equally knotally tackered! My advice: paddle until you're just about to stop enjoying it, then stop!
    I do that, then find myself miles from anywhere so I have to paddle beyond the point of no enjoyment to get anywhere I can sensibly stop. But then when I do eventually stop, I enjoy stopping much more than I would have if I had stopped before I stopped enjoying it.

Crow Trip Log

In this year's Waterside D two guys in a Mad River managed the 34 miles and 35 portages in 9h 15 mins for an average of about 3.73mph

It was hot hard work for them

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I do that, then find myself miles from anywhere so I have to paddle beyond the point of no enjoyment to get anywhere I can sensibly stop. But then when I do eventually stop, I enjoy stopping much more than I would have if I had stopped before I stopped enjoying it.

Crow pots "tops" spot with SotP 'Stop' post!

P.S. O/T!
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.

Including stops & simple portages, I work on 2 mph with a load when solo on still calm water, so a full day would be say 15-20 miles. This allows plenty of time to enjoy the journey. I have done more reasonably easily, and less with difficulty!

I agree. for me, whilst canoe camping, starting after a leisurely breakfast and going at a casual pace and leaving time to pitch in the afternoon 15-20 miles is a nice pace.
    I can't hear banjos, but I did see a guy playing the bagpipes once...

WW paddlers lose a lot of time eddying, ferrying, playing, etc. And we're accustomed to a lot of help from the current. I recall our group covering 20 miles one day through the San Juan Canyons in Utah, between breaking one camp and setting up another. But that doesn't mean much, because the San Juan has the fastest average current of any river in the southwestern USA.

I usually don't attempt more than ten miles a day when paddling alone. Best to leave plenty of time for enjoying the river, and for any eventualities. But I remember one day on the Allegheny River in western Pennsylvania when a friend and I, in my fastest tandem, covered 17 miles in 2.5 hours, including lunch. We had a strong current and a tailwind.

it depends on so much- the wind, how many times you get distracted by that little off shoot that looks interesting, who you are with, the boat, how many beers the night before, how long youve got. I work on tandem in lakes 5km hour for 4-5 hours of canoeing (add lunch stop) , maybe drop that to 4 if its a big lake or over more hours or if its multiday. But then i have been hopelessly off the mark when caught out in wind and rain.

33 miles per day with breaks and lunch stops, in my Mega 16' fully laden with all camping, cooking and food stuff.

Our PB is 27 miles in four hour & twenty mins!!

So far my solo PB on my SUP was about 18 miles in four hours along the Sound Of Mull with chop and no tidal help at all. That was over a year ago now. I reckon I could do MUCH more now, especially on flat, glassy water.....Maybe about 6mph for four hours solid.....
    Last edited by wavecloud; 11th-April-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    33 miles per day with breaks and lunch stops, in my Mega 16' fully laden with all camping, cooking and food stuff.

Our PB is 27 miles in four hour & twenty mins!!

So far my solo PB on my SUP was about 18 miles in four hours along the Sound Of Mull with chop and no tidal help at all. That was over a year ago now. I reckon I could do MUCH more now, especially on flat, glassy water.....Maybe about 6mph for four hours solid.....
    27 miles in 4h20 in a Mega 16 with all camping gear on flat water with no flow/wind - I've got to say, I find this a tough one. That's 6.23 mph! At that speed you would clean up in almost all races against people in 30 pound kevlar marathon boats... I've seen lots of people enter big boats in races, but never seen even one do well, plenty don't even finish.

Fancy a try at the Cheshire Ring?

I'm guessing that the original question was to get an idea of distance/day to plan what might be achieved in a given time scale for a multi day trip.

I have a simple rule for myself when planning. Take my maximum comfortable day paddle (15 miles solo) in reasonable conditions then expect to do 75% of that over a period of days. Then expect weather to play a part in the procedings that may mean some days will be shorter or no paddling at all. That reduces the planned distance/day a little bit more. So I take a bit more off. I end up with 10miles/day (66%).

So If I have 5 paddling days I plan a route that is around 50 miles with a possible extension of distance if time/conditions permit.

I am unfit and not particularly ambitious by the way.

If coming to Scotland in the summer the longer you stay on the water the less you get eaten by midges.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackworth View Post
    27 miles in 4h20 in a Mega 16 with all camping gear on flat water with no flow/wind - I've got to say, I find this a tough one. That's 6.23 mph! At that speed you would clean up in almost all races against people in 30 pound kevlar marathon boats... I've seen lots of people enter big boats in races, but never seen even one do well, plenty don't even finish.

Fancy a try at the Cheshire Ring?
    The PB time of 27 miles was with flow assistance and only day gear - Teddington to Greenwich Yaght Club.

The Mega does do a good 5 1/2 mph plus on flat still water though, when you get properly warmed up even with all gear onboard.... That's with two of us, myself who regularly paddles virtually every day for training... not for racing but so I can be fit and ready to take a huge drop on a perfect clean wave and then pull into a cavernous barrel over a sucking dry reef, on my SUP!

Journal Entries

That was probably mine as well, on the same trip with you (in the Shark, not a SUP!).

My PB now is probably 25 miles in about 7 hours, round Bute.

Crow Trip Log

The PB time of 27 miles was with flow assistance and only day gear - Teddington to Greenwich Yaght Club.
    Ah, that explains it.

We did the run from Teddington to Westminster on Sunday, and the tidal flow was worth about 2.1-2.2mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    That was probably mine as well, on the same trip with you (in the Shark, not a SUP!).

My PB now is probably 25 miles in about 7 hours, round Bute.
    Ah - what a day that was !!

Try putting the boat in the canal, then judge your paddling speed to general walkers or joggers etc using the same variants like wind and load.
    A confident walker (not ambler) will avarage 3-4 mph, Jogger approx 4-6mph and a mountain bike averages about 10-12mph. Its not that accurate but with a little practice I find it good for arranging pick up times and the like (works for me should I say)
    Hind sight is always 20/20

We always manage 13 miles a day on canals, normally three of us, only two paddling (to any effect) so there is a fair bit of weight as we have camping stuff too. We always start early, see the hangover through and then stop for a long lunch in a pub. It's not too hard and we could go longer but as has been mentioned, you don't want it to become a chore.

Journal Entries

Here I plan 35km/day average for small trips on normal rivers with small but varied groups. Check the video below. Thatīs exactly what we did for 2 days... My wife was solo, me too, the other 2 canoes were tandem with couples... The river had a lot of difficult sections with strainers closing the way. The plan for 35/day was a bit too much at the end....

On our long trips (over 10 days) we plan quite carefully, based on how the river "looks".... No rapids: 30 to 40km/day With Rapids: too variable to write about.

Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!