Thread: Photos of prospector build

Default Photos of prospector build

So the build progresses slowly, I have put the seat support blocks in- I used 18 mm ply screwed from the outside, epoxy glued, 50mm tape top and bottom and then thickened epoxy fillets.

The bulkheads are 6mm ply ( used a joggle stick to scribe them- love that tool)

Glued in with epoxy and the thick fillet front and back.

Found some lovely walnut for the deck bits ( breastplates?)
    ad these will be glued in next.

Default Photos of seats

So I decided to use webbing for the seats, I used more Cherry for the frames. I mortised and tenonned these together, and glued with PU adhesive.

I found the webbing online, and used 50mm wide Black.
    This was stapled to the frame - I found a great YouTube video that had tips for dispensing, cutting and fixing the webbing. Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE03V...e_gdata_player

Last edited by shotgun; 9th-April-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Looks good Shotgun..... but the proof will be in the sitting.

Ooh, that's sounds like you think otherwise ......

Quote Originally Posted by Simms View Post
    Looks good Shotgun..... but the proof will be in the sitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
    Ooh, that's sounds like you think otherwise ......
    No, No Shotgun! I was look at the seat you're making, they look really good, but as i said " the proof will be in the sitting", after a few hours....

Not sure about webbing seats, i prefer the cane type. looks more aesthetic..
    Simms ..

I would love the cane seats, but I am just too impatient !

on the next one.............

Default More photos

Hey-things are starting to move on !

The walnut decks have been shaped to follow the curve, and I then sanded the gunwales down to 180 grit.. The cherry,walnut and ply edge looks great together , and I couldn't wait to get a finish on them to see the grain stand out .
    Before I did that I sanded the inside with 80 grit on a delta sander to key it up and take out any lumps of epoxy . I then used Blackfriars grey acrylic primer/undercoat - this went on so well and has made the inside look really good. I just hope that this stuff is good - its all I could get in Midhurst. I intend to finish with Albany exterior acrylic gloss inside and out,with a bit of silica sand added to the inside paint for grip.

There is quite a lot of info on using acrylic/latex paints on boats so I hope this works out.

I then gave all the exposed wood a coat of epoxy. The grain looks wonderful. I will then rub back and use a varnish over the top.

Does anyone know of a semi matt / satin finish in a yacht type varnish - I think the gloss looks a bit blingy.

Default Photos went missing - here they are.

Default more photos

Its getting closer.

I have painted the inside now, in a cream Acrylic Gloss by Albany.I have given it 3 coats, the last one had some silica sand mixed in to give a non slip surface. Stupid - should have put the sand in the second coat, and then further painted it in with a third paint only coat. Next winter i will give it all another coat so I wont worry now (yeah, of course you will.......)

The outside has had two coats of gloss, I think I have just enough to give it a third. The paint is 20 a litre so I wont be buying more unless i have to.

the finish is ok, but i can see the weave of the glass in places. I think in hindsight, you can be more generous with the epoxy fill coat on the outside. drips are easy to sand off, whereas a mean coating only encourages deeper sanding to get back to a smooth surface, with the added danger of sanding through the glass. And I also made a balls of sanding the seams before I glassed, so I have really uneven seam lines, only enhanced by the gloss. And this stems from being in such a rush to see the canoe shape at the stitching stage, and not making sure the chines were even.

then again, this is only the first one...

whats left:

Third coat on the outside
    Sand the gunwales again to get rid of all the overpainting-doh!
    Oil/varnish the gunwales and decks
    Screw in the seats
    Cut and fix the thwarts?/cross member things
    Get the name painted on the bow ( Jim - after my first woodwork teacher Jim Collier, without whom I would not be doing what I am)
    Stick the thing in some water and find out it doesn't float.

the view inside

after two coats outside

and here are the thwarty, cross member things

Really sleek ends there.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Like the walnut decks, nice grain. The shot of the deck from the front puts me in mind of a dolphins nose, which is not a criticism btw! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Dave

Hey it does look like a Dolphin!

As this is my first attempt, I am very aware that I am making it up as I go along , so I wonder if I have made the nose too pointy. I didn't use the gunwales to guide the shape early on, which would have changed the shape to be more rounded . Do you all feel that this could be a problem?

Default De da! And now it won't stop raining....

My first canoe is finished!

Sunday was going to be the launch day, but the forecast is terrible so I may be waiting all week.
    (added to which, a local canoeist was drowned this week on the Rother near Midhurst so I shall be staying away from swollen rivers for my first paddle).

Anyhow, it has been absorbing over the last 2 months. My least favourite part was sanding down the fill coat on the outside, and I rushed the stitching stage which has left me with very uneven chine seams - lets hope it spends lots of time in the water so they can't be seen.But I do feel that I want to make another.

A few more pics, the final set to follow once it is on the water.
    Its called "Jim" after my woodwork teacher, but I have been told that it is bad luck to have a male boat, he should be a she...any views on that?

Well, it's looking good and I bet you can't wait for a paddle! He or she though......I thought it was bad luck to change a boats name............?

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Dave

Default She/he floats!

Oh happy day!
    She,"jim",is launched! What a great feeling to see it on the water,and the girls loved it.
    It feels a bit more unstable than the fibreglass prospector we hired last year, but very manoeuvrable and very fast.

Only problem, getting the van stuck on the way home...

Looks fantastic, nice to see another blue canoe.

Jon.
    The SotP Wedding
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)