Thread: My Eureka Build.

Default My Eureka Build.

I finally got going. Well I've been going for a while. This canoe building thing is a lot of fun, I don't know why I haven't built one before . Apart from an epoxy drama (amine bloom) things are going great.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Space was a problem.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I thought I could leave the epoxy overnight and put on another coat the next day. WRONG..
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Worked out in the end..

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Looking good,very clean lines

Have you put a coat of epoxy over the panels before wiring them together.. looks like it in picture 5, but not in picture 7 ?
    I was thinking of doing that too, but I am not sure if the coat of epoxy will stiffen the panels , and so i shouldnt...

gjgm.

in my plans the advice is to give the inside of the panels three coats of epoxy while they are still laying flat. Everthing is much easier to get at and the risk of runs is a lot less. I cleaned them up first and then applied the three coats wet on wet but because of high humidity and low temperatures and the fact that I left the second coat overnight before applying the third, I had difficulties. The second coat had "bloomed" and you can see the results in the pics. The wet on wet works (after the first coat goes tacky apply the second, and so on), it was just my mistake. Before stitching the panels together I sanded the shine off the epoxy with an orbital sander. After I dewaxed that is. It wasn't going to get me twice.

As for stiffness I didn't notice any real change. I used 5mm okume/gabun 3 ply and it was still really flexible.

Hope this helps.

Kev.
    Last edited by Flatdog; 5th-April-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Ah, so the epoxy was actually wet in that photo.. I think I'll go ahead and epoxy them first too then.

Quote Originally Posted by gjgm View Post
    Ah, so the epoxy was actually wet in that photo.. I think I'll go ahead and epoxy them first too then.
    The epoxy's dry in that fifth pic'. There it looks like a mirror finish but upon closer inspection there're a few air bubbles and a bit of dust stuck to it.

I haven't been around for a while but the build's still moving along OK. I had a bit of a problem with my scarf joints breaking due to my lack of experience but they are re-cut and re-glued. I'm playing around with the centre spreader, the gunwales, the seats and the decks at the moment. I can't work out where I'm going at the moment . It'll all work out in the end.

A few pic's.

One thing I liked doing was the fillets.

[IMG][/IMG]

I spent a lot of time with the wire tightening and getting the panels lined up. It payed off. I love the hull shape.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I levelled the hull and then set up a string line down the centre and squared and plumbed the bulkheads from there.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next job is to glue in the deck supports and centre stringers.

[IMG][/IMG]

I keep telling myself it'll be in the water by the end of June but if it's not I'm not too worried. I'm really enjoying myself doing the build.

Kev.

I had a day glassing the hull today.It's definitely something that takes time and patience.

[IMG][/IMG]

I had a bit of trouble laying the cloth around the stems.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Trimming off the cloth was a lot easier than I thought it would be and epoxying down to the sheer was simple.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think it all came out well.

Kev.

Looking really good, those fillets look very neat.

Jon.
    The SotP Wedding
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

Very nice work. How long and wide is it?
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

Thanks Jon, Dr Joe.

The Eureka measures in at:
    Length 15'6" (4.73m) Beam 34" (0.86m) Built to plan it weighs 44lbs. (20kg) The way I'm going it will probably weigh about 25kg. Two serious canoeists built one down to 34lbs (15.5kg) but used really super light materials. The canoe photo for my avatar is the one they built.

Kev.

Wink

I built a Eureka too! I think you've been speaking to my dad, Tim Sparkes, about building it! They're nice and low at the front so they're great even in wind! Absolutely lovely to paddle!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/friendz/Pictures/2012-05-26/106.JPG[/IMG]
    See you on (or in ) the water

Quote Originally Posted by stormeducky View Post
    I built a Eureka too! I think you've been speaking to my dad, Tim Sparkes, about building it! They're nice and low at the front so they're great even in wind! Absolutely lovely to paddle!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/friendz/Pictures/2012-05-26/106.JPG[/IMG]
    Hi Stormeducky,

Yes your Dad contacted me on my blog site. He gave me some very usefull advice about the seat heights. It's great to hear you like the Eureka. I'm getting close to finishing mine and looking forward to putting it in the water. Just two more varnish coats to go on the outside of the hull.

[IMG][/IMG]

I tried out a bit of branding.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Journal Entries

You have built a very pretty looking boat.

Nice.

Thank you for showing us your pics.

Thanks No idea,

Well it's finished. All we need now is some water.

We're planning on going on holiday next week down to the Bodensee in South Germany. We're really looking forward to trying the canoe out.

I got the last coat of varnish on the boat and paddles today. A big thanks to Jondavy for his help with the paddles. Looking forward to writing a canoe review for the Eureka.

Cheers, Kev.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Well done!! I look forward to the maiden voyage.
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

A real beauty...thanks Jim