Thread: Backpack canoe - Mostly old insulation board and plumbing pipe

1. Default Backpack canoe - Mostly old insulation board and plumbing pipe

I know this isn't an open-top canadian design but I started this project based on an article on the site. I wanted to build something which I could carry as a backpack and wouldn't need a car to get to me to the river. So, if anyone's interested in a foldable backpack build-it yourself canoe project.....

The base is an insulation board and, apart from some aluminium pipe, the rest of the build is plumbing pipe and fittings. I initially used builder's tarpaulin as the skin but last year splashed out (70) for some proper material.

I bought an old rucksack from ebay and stripped it out to allow me to pack the canoe up and carry it. If you look at the photos you'll see why I called it "Scruffy".

Having built it, I'm considering a better design but in order to get more length I'd have to sacrifice portability# I'm wondering about a tricycle converter, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

For a full set of pics of the current model, please click here.
    Last edited by jrubinstein; 31st-March-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: to add pics

What a great idea and build. Any more pictures of the construction other than those on Flickr ? What's the beam and length of this boat ?

I am sure many will be most interested in this folder.

Quote Originally Posted by jrubinstein View Post
    I know this isn't an open-top canadian design but I started this project based on an article on the site. I wanted to build something which I could carry as a backpack and wouldn't need a car to get to me to the river. So, if anyone's interested in a foldable backpack build-it yourself canoe project.....

The base is an insulation board and, apart from some aluminium pipe, the rest of the build is plumbing pipe and fittings. I initially used builder's tarpaulin as the skin but last year splashed out (70) for some proper material.

I bought an old rucksack from ebay and stripped it out to allow me to pack the canoe up and carry it. If you look at the photos you'll see why I called it "Scruffy".

Having built it, I'm considering a better design but in order to get more length I'd have to sacrifice portability# I'm wondering about a tricycle converter, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

For a full set of pics of the current model, please click here.
    Good for you I really like improvised stuff like this.
    Now can't wait to see the MK11 version..

Wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
    Campsites on Water - Touch the river to sample the last that has gone and that which is to follow.

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Great intro JR.. its the querky stuff I like to see.. Looks like something that the SAS would use! (How did you post a pic after 2 posts? I ask myself..unless settings have changed...) Bed time now!
    ........Enthusiastically incapable .

6. Default

Hi Teign

I'm sorry if this was cheating - I put the post up without pics, put an entry in on the lovely wooden strip boat (fantastic! - I'm an ex cabinet maker myself). Then I went back and added the pics and link.

Best wishes

Jay
    Last edited by jrubinstein; 1st-April-2012 at 10:52 AM.

7. Default

Hi Andre

The beam is 1m and the length ~2.4m. I'm a novice at canoeing and some of the early versions were far too unstable even on our exquisitely calm river Nene. I didn't fall in, but my son did!

I'll try to put together some construction details and post them in the next week or so.

Best wishes and thanks for your comments.

jay

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Hi JR.. Funny I was just showing the woodstrip canoe pics to my Mrs.. It is wonderful isn't it. But your craft is just as engaging! Polypipe is great stuff aint it. I know of someone who built a kite buggy with it. Its like Meccano!
    I recently made a kayak trolley out of polypipe..but it failed in initial tests. Bad design . Bye for now TB.
    ........Enthusiastically incapable .

Great boat. My next project is to be along these lines. I have a 12ft x 6ft polythene shrink wrap bag, my intention is to build it as Ray Mears built his birch bark using the bag as the outer and rib the inner (still looking for suitable ribbing material. Thought about making ribs from plastic oil drums) Looks like it may be polypipe gunnels or similar

Hind sight is always 20/20

10. Default

Hi Andre

I've put together some photos which show a bit more of the construction (and added descriptions which may well be more helpful since my photos are rubbish!). You can see the photo set here

great project
    i love the idea of creating something out of 'nothing'.

Absolutely Brilliant.

May I suggest you make a gyrocopter that packs into a suitcase for your next project?!?!