Thread: Why chisel/plane?

Default Why chisel/plane?

Hi. I'm just about finished on one side of my cedar strip Freedom 15. The books say cut to within 1/2 inch of the center line and then chisel/plane to the correct line. I'm wondering why. I reckon with care I can saw a pretty straight line especially if it's marked on the strips.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Adri

Hi Adri,
    Good question. A friend is building the very same canoe (in fact he's 'glassing the inside right now), and he asked exactly the same question. I thought it was purely to get the best and closest join, and that's how I did mine. He disagreed and used a mitre saw, and to be honest, it looks very good. So I'd say if you think you can do it, then go for it. Just be careful, you're the one who's going to be sitting there looking at it when you paddle!
    Good luck with the rest of the build!

Dave

There is one thing that comes to mind. The writer of the instructions does not know what type of saw would be used to cut to the line.

A thin fine toothed saw blade would give a fairly clean cut with very little splintering of the wood on the cut edge. A wide and coarse toothed saw blade would cause considerable splintering along the cut edge. Also blunt and badly set saws would cause more splintering.

Cutting proud then planing would ensure that any splintered edge would be removed thus giving a very smooth edge at the join.

I used a fine Japanese saw (pull saw) and cut down the middle line. I marked the middle line using quite a blunt pencil so the line was quite wide and cut perhaps 1 mm off center and then used a Rabat and block plane to finish off. My strips are centered completely symmetrical.