Thread: Any guitar players here?

Default Any guitar players here?

Here's my keeper, a 2003 Gibson J45. I've owned a lot of guitars over the years, but this is the one that will go to my kids when I'm gone. I play and sing my own songs mostly, to whoever will listen. I've played for 30 years, but most kids these days play for about 1 year and are better than I ever will be! My voice has been known to frighten children and animals, and just plain annoy adults, but I just keep hacking away! It makes me happy.

Ay carumba, thats nice. I'm very envious. Always promised myself a decent acoustic one day (play a fender telecaster mostly), and that would certainly fit the bill. I currently play a low end Epiphone acoustic, which is pretty poor in all honesty but it was my old man's so I'll always hang on to it.

Only 'acoustic' thing I can play with any level of competency is the Great Man's "Don't think twice its alright", bet it would sound sweet on your gee-tar.

I classify myself as a 'play with a guitar' rather than 'play guitar' - on the grounds I can keep myself amused for hours, and others for seconds :-).

Please define guitar player

I can twang a string or six, but may only be musical to my ears.
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

That's lovely!

I have a number of guitars, which is strange because I have no ability whatsoever. I've been "playing" for about 3 years now.

Here are my two favourites-

This is my Parlour Guitar. It's a Tanglewood TW73 WN (Wide Neck). I play this most of the time.

This is my Sheraton. Mrs BlueCanoe bought me this when I said I wanted to take up guitaring. What a gal!
    Jim

"God guard me from those thoughts men think
    In the mind alone;
    He that sings a lasting song
    Thinks in a marrowbone."

Hi fredster

Am trying to learn the ukulele, finding it difficult, any wortwhile tips. I have looked on line, and learnt a bit. Might have to have tuition, as a bit thick where music is concerned. I love music, especially live, but not very good at it. If you ever get to Kent, bring guitar, and plenty of patience. Regards Tony

l

BlueCanoe - great guitars! What a lucky git you are! I really like the Tanglewood!
    "It seems as if our children may someday read of the American wilderness - desert or any other kind - as we read of the lost Atlantis."
    -Edward Abbey

This here is my Ovation Matrix - purely acoustic - guitar. We've been together now for 35 years, during which time one of us has mellowed and sweetened. I'm not saying which one us, though!

It's been with me on many a school trip in the UK and abroad, travelling in cars and coaches, trains and buses. During all that time, it's never seen the inside of a case, so it's a wonder it's survived as well as it has.

When I was younger and more foolish than I am now, I painted it black! Ordinary gloss paint! It was worth every penny I spent on getting it relacquered a couple of years after the Dulux desecration. I can't remember fully, so I may well have been somewhat lacquered mysefl when I painted it!

I fret about its frets, now, which are pitted and worn. However, as it has a cast aluminium neck, re-fretting is no easy task. In fact, it might be impossible. So it is living out its twilight years with a tourniquet round its neck at the second fret, so as to avoid the worst of the fret-wear.

It still plays well enough for me to spend too many hours amusing myself and annoying the neighbours, and I still use it a lot at school.

It's what I'm playing on this.
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.

Rockhopper, do you find the guitar slips forward on your knee as you play it due to the round back? The only time I played an Ovation I loved the tone of it but got frustrated because the darn thing kept sliding forward.

Quote Originally Posted by woodisgood View Post
    Hi fredster

Am trying to learn the ukulele, finding it difficult, any wortwhile tips. I have looked on line, and learnt a bit. Might have to have tuition, as a bit thick where music is concerned. I love music, especially live, but not very good at it. If you ever get to Kent, bring guitar, and plenty of patience. Regards Tony

l
    Next Medway meet perhaps for a campfire jam Tony? I'm trying to learn banjo myself, but seem to have reached a point where I'm no longer progressing so might also need some tuition soon. Are you a guitar player too? I always found it annoying, coming from guitar playing, that ukeleles are strung with a weird tuning. At least with a banjo there's a close similarity to guitar tuning (same as thinnest 4 guitar strings except top E dropped to a D), but with a uke, you have to learn all the chord shapes from scratch. I think if I had one I'd tune it same as a banjo, my brain too slow to learn any more chord shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Rockhopper, do you find the guitar slips forward on your knee as you play it due to the round back? The only time I played an Ovation I loved the tone of it but got frustrated because the darn thing kept sliding forward.
    Hi Fredster,

Perhaps it's because it's because it was one the first guitars I ever had, or because I've had it so long, but I just don't have a problem with it moving. I do most of my playing standing up, though.

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    BlueCanoe - great guitars! What a lucky GUY you are! I really like the Tanglewood!
    Sorry about that typo. I meant GUY, not git. Dang fingers!
    "It seems as if our children may someday read of the American wilderness - desert or any other kind - as we read of the lost Atlantis."
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Ay carumba, thats nice. I'm very envious. Always promised myself a decent acoustic one day (play a fender telecaster mostly), and that would certainly fit the bill. I currently play a low end Epiphone acoustic, which is pretty poor in all honesty but it was my old man's so I'll always hang on to it.

Only 'acoustic' thing I can play with any level of competency is the Great Man's "Don't think twice its alright", bet it would sound sweet on your gee-tar.
    Thanks! I've owned a few teles myself, here's the only one I currently have.

It's way too clean isn't it, I'm obsessive.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by plainsman View Post
    Sorry about that typo. I meant GUY, not git. Dang fingers!
    LOL I was quite happy with git!
    Jim

"God guard me from those thoughts men think
    In the mind alone;
    He that sings a lasting song
    Thinks in a marrowbone."

I have a basic acoustic I've been faffing about with for about 12 years, very much on & off. Mostly off. I only play & sing along to myself normally, but have now actually played it in front of other human beings twice! Drunk both times, of course...

I'm useless at anything other than basic well-known chords, but quite enjoy finger picking a simple tune rather than strumming, accompanying myself singing. I'd love to be able to play it a bit better, but time means I only practice sporadically. If I had more confidence in my voice and my playing, I might actually bring it along to a meet sometime...
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Ooh - I see the beginnings of a SoTP paddle-jam taking shape. I'll bring me banjo - I'm seriously amateurish, but I'll have a go at Duelling Banjos (a.k.a. the Deliverance song) if you like.

Journal Entries

Like others I've been "learning to play" for some time, last year I got a new guitar one built by my Uncle, I thought I had some pictures on the computer but can't find them.

will post some tomorrow.
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

I twice tried to teach myself classical guitar, but had some finger interference problems and gave it up.

Ah. If you stick at it, you can eventually progress to finger AND thumb interface problems.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I remember my early learning days at the age of about 14, playing on a steel-strung Eko guitar that my parents bought me for Christmas.

My earliest repertoire consisted of 'Green Door', which went a bit like this:

D / / /
    Midnight (pause long enough to fit, sand and paint a green door, whilst I changed my fingers to...)

G / / /
    One more night without (pause long enough to realise you don't like green so sand it down and paint it black, whilst I changed my fingers to...)

D / / /
    Sleeping

I carried on in this vein for months, with huge silent pauses at every chord change. During these pauses, my audience were entertained by my gurning, as I got my reluctant fingers into place, which entailed intense concentration, an extremely furrowed brow, staring cross-eyed at the fingerboard and sticking my tongue out of the left side of my mouth.

Then, one day, I picked up my guitar to play as normal, but found that I could change my fingers from one chord pattern to another, INSTANTLY... and without even looking! I had gone to sleep unable to change chords and had woken up adept at it!

I have no idea how or why the muscle memory kicked in so suddenly, completely and unexpectedly!

The brain is a wonderful thing!
    Last edited by Rockhopper; 4th-April-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Journal Entries

Found the picture

The front of the body is bear claw pine, I can't remember all the other woods but know theres rose wood and mahogany in there
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

There must be loads of us out there..
    I have a 1960s Burns (short scale Jazz) which I think is pretty rare. I bought it on what used to be called the "never never" from Matchetts in Belfast.Its so old it was priced in guineas!! (90 actually) I played it for years in gigs around Belfast and Dublin ,before moving to England in the early 70's. Got involved in various bands from covers, to country to blues , and I bought a 70s Fender Strat, sunburst with a black scratchplate and no tremelo arm. I also have an old acoustic.Dont know what it is .Its never had a name on it..I think it might be Italian..Jim

Journal Entries

I remember Matchetts, used to pop in there before going across the road to golden discs on a staurday afternoon
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by bikemec View Post
    I remember Matchetts, used to pop in there before going across the road to golden discs on a staurday afternoon
    JD. Yep I spent a lot of my lunch breaks there and in Crimbles which was a couple of shops away. I think they,re both gone now.. Jim

Journal Entries

I think Matchetts still have a shop but across the road just past where the security gates used to be, near the back doors to Boots.

At the time I didn't play very much at all but friends had a wee group, one day the assistant got them to bring the guitars up stairs to where he had sme drums set up for a jam session,

this is making me think of the places that are not there or are very different, bank buildings, the athletic stores (when you could go upstairs) and can't remember the big department store thats now an M&S I think, Caroline records oh the list goes on, and all of smithfield markets which is where most of our instraments came from or ended up!
    JD

Me too, I started playing two years ago when I was laid up after an operation, something that I had always longed to have a go at. I play a very cheap yamaha that I bought on tinternet and sing along mainly for myself. It has added a whole new dimension to winter evenings, and with you tube lessons I found it not too difficult, it's just patientce, plenty of time and persistence

Wilf
    Bacon sarnie anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by bikemec View Post
    I think Matchetts still have a shop but across the road just past where the security gates used to be, near the back doors to Boots.

At the time I didn't play very much at all but friends had a wee group, one day the assistant got them to bring the guitars up stairs to where he had sme drums set up for a jam session,

this is making me think of the places that are not there or are very different, bank buildings, the athletic stores (when you could go upstairs) and can't remember the big department store thats now an M&S I think, Caroline records oh the list goes on, and all of smithfield markets which is where most of our instraments came from or ended up!
    I think the department store was Robinson and Cleavers..and yeah shame about Smithfield..Always worth a browse. I bought an army parka there, endless sets of strings picks etc.All gone...sigh Jim

I've been playing guitar for about........, f**k, 42 years already....

Did my first gig when I was 13 years old (in the school band that was) and have been in bands ever since. Still play in two bands and some more in diverse projects.

I've collected quite some gear thru the years, some of it I've owed since the 70's.

My favourite acoustic is a Gibson too, it's this Advanced Jumbo (must make a better picture than this one):

I've had some Fishman electronics build into it but use it rarely on stage for it's so resonant that on a noisy stage it's a sound technician's nightmare but it is the guitar I pick up most when I want to play some guitar at home. On stage I prefer an Ovation (Pinnacle Deluxe) I have laying around.

My favourite electric's are this bunch, it's a (left to right) Fender Stratocaster AVRI, Gibson Les Paul Special DC (with P90's) and a Gibson Les Paul Standard (my prime guitar since 1978!!)

Got more but don't want to make this post too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    I've been playing guitar for about........, f**k, 42 years already....

Did my first gig when I was 13 years old (in the school band that was) and have been in bands ever since. Still play in two bands and some more in diverse projects.

I've collected quite some gear thru the years, some of it I've owed since the 70's.

My favourite acoustic is a Gibson too, it's this Advanced Jumbo (must make a better picture than this one):

I've had some Fishman electronics build into it but use it rarely on stage for it's so resonant that on a noisy stage it's a sound technician's nightmare but it is the guitar I pick up most when I want to play some guitar at home. On stage I prefer an Ovation (Pinnacle Deluxe) I have laying around.

My favourite electric's are this bunch, it's a (left to right) Fender Stratocaster AVRI, Gibson Les Paul Special DC (with P90's) and a Gibson Les Paul Standard (my prime guitar since 1978!!)

Got more but don't want to make this post too long.
    Great looking AJ! I really like that Les Paul DC also!
    -Edward Abbey

for those quiet moments, than need be quiet nolonger...

Hi fredster

l
    I've been "playing" the Ukulele for about 6-9 months. A bit 'fingers and thumbs', defiantly from the Eric Morecambe School of Music. You could try joining a local group: I found one that meets in a pub once a month for a jam session. I did find myself completley out of my depth the first time I went along (still do!!), but you'll find pieces that you like and can strum along to.

Beer's good as well!

Biff
    'I can gather all the news I need on the weather report...'

Hi Biff

Yes i felt the same, have been to one yuke meet, and felt well out of it, but still enjoyed it. Unfortuately have just missed second one, due to being in London at a show. Have been busy of late, as am in the throws of moving, good news is it is just round the corner, so will be able to attend future strummins. Thanks for reply, now lets get to the good stuff, what canoe/ canoes have you got, i have a wooden classic from 1964, among others. Keep in touch. Tony

Hi Biff

Yes i felt the same, have been to one yuke meet, and felt well out of it, but still enjoyed it. Unfortuately have just missed second one, due to being in London at a show. Have been busy of late, as am in the throws of moving, good news is it is just round the corner, so will be able to attend future strummins. Thanks for reply, now lets get to the good stuff, what canoe/ canoes have you got, i have a wooden classic from 1964, among others. Keep in touch. Tony
    My canoe (singular) is a Gatz Mink - in burgandy (dark red?). She's curvaceous, sexy, a bit wide in the beam, and called 'Nigella'

Biff
    'I can gather all the news I need on the weather report...'

This thread got me thinking back to the 2009 March Musical Meet.
    Sadly one young lady,Lou, has since passed away but will always be remembered.
    Check out the blogg :
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...h+musical+meet
    Perhaps we should do it again?

Roy

Hi Biff. My story is somewhat involved, the first canoe was the wooden one it was imported by Tyne in 1964. I also have a Tyne canvas double, i think called the Sprint double, I am also waiting to collect a Granta canvas double with sailing rig, plus i also have a Klepper double canvas to collect from Loch ness some time this year. They are all 60s or there abouts. Will keep you posted. Regards Tony

I play a Telecaster, just messing around really nothing serious.

I also play, and this ones a bit different, a lap steel! I hope to progress onto a pedal steel one day, I love the sound of both of them.