Thread: An Idyllic Day On The Somerset Levels

Default An Idyllic Day On The Somerset Levels

As I posted in the meetings section a couple of days ago, the weather is too nice at present not to get the canoe out. Not only that, I wanted to put my new Explorer 15 through its paces, so a meeting was arranged.

The put in was at Westhay on the river Brue at 10am and I was joined by my kking buddy Chris, who in turn brought along his young friend Callum for his first paddle in a kk on local waters.
    We were also joined by Hyperion (Matt) from Bristol with his Tarka fibreglass canoe. This was the first time I'd met him and what a pleasant fellow he is.

We set off around 10.30 am and headed down river with the intention of getting as far as we could before turning round and getting back to the start point by 4.pm.

There is no major story here, we just had a very pleasant paddle together in very fine conditions with a few stops to eat and drink.
    Paddling weather doesn't get much better than this, in fact it was a bit too hot at times.

We paddled a total of 10.5 miles according to the Sports Tracker and I was knackered by the time I got home, but as always, it was worth it.

I took only a handful of pictures as I always find when paddling with Chris in his kk, that I'm always playing catch up.
    Luckily he took many more than me which he will add on to this blog a bit later. He also took some video footage which he has tagged onto the original thread in the meetings section.

I make mention of my current thoughts of the Explorer in the review section if anyone is interested.
    I was also impressed with the way that Matt made his Tarka move along with what appeared to be minimal effort. It's not a boat that gets any mention on here, but it was certainly up to yesterdays task.

Here's my few pics.

The put in

From the put in looking upstream

And downstream

The new boat ready to go and awaiting the others

A view of Glastonbury tor taken into the sun. If you squint, you can just make it out and if you squint even harder you can just make out King Arthur waving at me

Heading down river

Lunch stop at the North Drain pumping station

Pumping station where we were accosted by an EA man who told us this was private land. He didn't pursue the matter when we explained what we were doing and we would leave the place as we found it.

Matt and Callum stuffing their faces

New canoe at the second stop

That's all from me folks, photos from Chris will follow hopefully and will better show what a lovely day we had together.

Happy days
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Nice one mate. Nice new canoe too!

How can one NOT want to paddle when the weather is this good! I'm missing it today, but have a whole weekend of it ahead of me!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Nice one mate. Nice new canoe too!

How can one NOT want to paddle when the weather is this good! I'm missing it today, but have a whole weekend of it ahead of me!
    Cheers Mal, though the canoe is new no longer. I've scratched it
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Default 28th March, 2012. River Brue

Here's my pictures from yesterday. Thanks to Paul (Old Man), Matt and Callum for making yesterday a fabulous experience.

Here's the whole photo set on Flickr.com I can't seem to get my head round this lot, so hope this link works!!
    Cheers, Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaks2hire.co.uk View Post
    Here's my pictures from yesterday. Thanks to Paul (Old Man), Matt and Callum for making yesterday a fabulous experience.

Here's the whole photo set on Flickr.com I can't seem to get my head round this lot, so hope this link works!!
    Link doesn't work you willy, sort it out.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Well, that seems to have not worked very well, unless you have a 'Yahoo' ID or a Flickr.com account, so now I'm uploading the photos onto Photobucket and will try again later. Apologies for my ineptitude!!!
    Cheers, Chris.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

Nice one Paul!

A lot of people getting out this weather.

There's more than one way to skin a cat...

Crow Trip Log

Default The photos (Hopefully!!)

I shall endeavour to put my photos below, but after my last failed attempt, I'm not too hopeful!!

Right. I tried that, and it didn't work, so I'll put a link to the whole set, and try and get my head round it another time, as I feel one whole day waste don it is about enough!!

Here are the photos from yesterday.

That should do it! Enjoy, Chris.
    Cheers, Chris.

All the best with the new boat ... Looks a nice bit of kit.
    MarkL
    and I am here ...
    and you are there ...
    and a thousand miles between.

Default The link works!!

If you click the link in the previous post, then 'Play Slideshow', next click on 'Reverse Order' to get the in the right order!!

Hopefully it'll make sense.....
    Cheers, Chris.

Well done Chris, nice pics and they show nicely what a good day it was.
    I like the fact you've made a comment about each of them too.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    All the best with the new boat ... Looks a nice bit of kit.
    Cheers Mark. Yes I like it, shame I couldn't get it in blue though. I like blue boats.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

Trouble with blue boats is they're invisible on a nice day.

There's more than one way to skin a cat...

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Trouble with blue boats is they're invisible on a nice day.

Stealth boat, I like it.
    Also, they're faster than the other two colours that are always being argued about on here !
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Default P,f,l,o,p

Well done Paul, that was a lovely paddle on a hot day,10 miles was enough for me on the bench seat of my Tarka!,

[It needs a bit of padding]. Good pics Chris,you captured the reflection's,and the waterside architecture,pill boxes etc.

I also enjoyed the bird life,the Kingfishers,Oystercatchers and the song of the Skylarks,over the water meadows,from a

cloudless sky,all in all,a great day out.

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I try my best!! Thanks again for helping to make what for me also was a great day out. Must do the lower bit soon, starting by that house by that bridge....

Cheers, Chris.
    Cheers, Chris.