Thread: New Paddler

Default New Paddler

Hi, I'm new to this place and relatively new to paddling. I tried a little in my youth but went away to have a 'responsible' life and have recently re-discovered the joys. I even went and took a paddling skills course with proadventure in Llangollen. I am currently planning to buy a boat and have seen some lovely looking craft at swift water canoes (I love wood) I wonder if the experienced members have any advice to offer when selecting?

The plan is to buy a canoe that'll enable me and my twelve year old son to do some camping and paddling for a few days here and there on lakes slow flowing rivers, though I need to get some practice with my J stroke first

Hi, welcome to the forum. Hope you find a canoe soon.

Roy

Journal Entries

Welcome!

Advice for canoe selection: Paddle as many canoes as possible before making a decision. Some sellers will allow try-outs. It is my understanding, from reading the forum over the years, that there are UK canoe clubs, participation in which, will allow you to get some familiarity with their canoes. My personal advice, given the type of canoeing you are interested in (lakes, slow flowing rivers) - get the lightest canoe you can afford.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Good to have you along for the trip.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I bought a boat! A nova Craft Prospector SP3.

It has all these attributes;
    • Good for both solo and tandem paddling
    • Great for exped stuff
    • Built like a brick out house
    • Held in high regard by most experienced paddlers
    • Just fits inside my garage
    • Doesn't cost a grand or more

Along the way I discovered these things;
    • Wooden boats are best left for experienced paddlers - newbies like me ARE going to dent, bash and crash their first new boat and plastic tends to bounce more effectively than wood. Plastic also takes a lot less maintenance.
    • A long boat (16 foot plus) is better for tandem canoeing and families and won't fit inside my garage
    • Drilling and lacing is a doddle for anyone with some basic DIY skills, patience and a preparedness to measure twice and drill once.
    • ALL boats are heavier than you think. As part of your selection process try lifting them into the portage position and be realistic about how far you will need to carry it and how far you are actually able to carry it. If you're worried about your back consider a Kari Tek roofrack or a trailer and a little trolley
    • Wooden paddles feel nicer than plastic and alluminium
    • Your shiny new boat will have scratches by the end of the first day. Recognise and accept that truth before you go out and you'll have a more relaxing day.

You can read about my first day out in my lovely new boat here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...715#post396715

Hi Phil

If you like wooden canoes, perhaps you would like to see my classic, and yes thay do get marked, but are never the less very strong. I have problems getting photos on here, so if you pm me youe email, i will send you some photos. Regards Tony. ps happy canoeing

Good choice, now get out in it and enjoy, best wishes !
    Boiling water for no apparent reason