Thread: Bonkers H & S Rant

Default Bonkers H & S Rant

Just come across a case of some H&S officer gone nuts. In Blaenau Gwent, (S. Wales) there is a now a ruling on supposed health & safety grounds, that refuse lorries, (trash carts) are not allowed to drive along backlanes. Instead, the refuse people have to walk along the lanes with a giant plastic bag, empty bins & black-bags into it, then drag the full bag back to the waiting refuse lorry, which must be left on a main road. If the giant bag fills before clearing the lane, a second, third or more journeys must be made. If the bag rips, then tough luck, they have to clean up and start again. There's only two people per lorry and they're not allowed to use a trolly of any kind.

So after emptying refuse from bins, dragging back, they then have to lift the bags/loose refuse out of the giant bag into the lorry. They may have to repeat these actions many times over to clear the refuse of even one lane. Many backlanes in the area are half a mile in length and many if not most in the valleys area, are on 1:5 and steeper inclines. What hellish idiocy can have brought about this crazy situation? On what grounds could this possibly be safer than having the lorry carry the load? I'd love to see the risk assessment that this is part of; one wonders if the person who complied the RA, has even been out of their office in the past eighty years.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Journal Entries

sounds more like a ruling to avoid the council getting damage claims to drainage and water supply infrastructure due to heavy lorries in the back lanes....
    Cheers,

Alan

If it's a case of possible damage to infrastructure or an almost certain damage to the health of the refuse collectors. I vote for damage to lanes and if they're in that bad a condition, fix the problem before someone disappears into a sewer.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

As an ex H&S rep I'd be arguing that the workmen should be supplied with trolleys or something like that due to the probable backstrain and so on. Having to lug heavy bags half a mile or more is quite clearly a problem. As you say the person who did the RA probably can't find their backside with both hands.

A friend of mine's wife is disabled. Her H&S officer said that due to the Display Screen regs she must (note that MUST) use a mouse when she finds a trackball easier. Of course the H&S Officer is completely wrong - the regs say exactly the opposite. You do wonder about these people.
    Malc

...Hear me now from the Invisible Opera Company of Tibet...

I prefer mice but if I found a trackball easier, you could bet your bottom dollar I'd be asking for one. Don't see many trackballs around these days, other than in graphics studios. I remember having to measure a desktop to see if it complied with the minimum office-working desk area. It didn't but by adding the top of an adjoining filing cabinet it did. This seemed to be allowed at the time, despite the fact that the cabinet's top was approx. 70cm higher than the desk... go figure.

I wouldn't risk betting my house on the truth of this, but I am pretty sure that, in these here parts, they have small refuse vehicles - just flat-bed transits with wire-mesh, open-topped cages round the bed - to collect the bin-bags from the houses in the most minor of roads and lanes. I'm amazed that anyone would write workers carrying/dragging heavy loads long distances up 1-in-5 hills into a risk assessment!
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.