Thread: Chichester Harbour Seals.

Default Chichester Harbour Seals.

I have not been to see the seals for a while so Mals proposed mid week paddles seemed like a good excuse.

We will launch from Emsworth Quay paddle out into the harbour which is a large body of open water to look for the resident seals. We will be hoping to get to the right location on a lowish tide for the best chance of seeing the seals.

My preferred day is a Thursday as I often paddle with Joel on a Thursday.

There is a long stay pay and display car park in Emsworth town centre and limited parking by the quay.

Details to be confirmed as the tides need to be favourable.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

You will find the seals up around the Thorney Island area of the harbour.

Sounds good to me, Thursday's are good. This week, though, High tide at Northney is 11.45 - lunchtime, so I guess this is not ideal.

Thursday 29th might be better. Low tide at Northney is 9.17, High at 16.46, so would this make sense for a morning paddle?

5th of April Low tide is late afternoon (16.34)
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Typical, I lived on Thorney for the best part of 17 years and never once saw a seal..

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Sounds good to me, Thursday's are good. This week, though, High tide at Northney is 11.45 - lunchtime, so I guess this is not ideal.

Thursday 29th might be better. Low tide at Northney is 9.17, High at 16.46, so would this make sense for a morning paddle?

5th of April Low tide is late afternoon (16.34)

I think the Tide being Low at around 16:40 ish is good as you get the tide coming in and the mud flats will be exposed with the seals on them rather than them being swimming about at high tide times.

Emsworth has water at most stages of the tide so Low ish tide/coming in is good.

scotty7367
    Paddle Faster I Hear Banjos.

Quote Originally Posted by mikgee View Post
    Typical, I lived on Thorney for the best part of 17 years and never once saw a seal..
    I have lived in the area all my life and didn't know about the seals until I joined SOTP.

They must have moved in over the last 5 or so years, I was chief windsurfing Instructor on Thorney for 3 years and for over 10 years used Chichester harbour as my training ground when I used to compete, I used to be on the water at least 5 days a week and up to 10 hours a day all year round. In fact my avatar was taken in Chichester harbour. Never once saw a seal. However on second thoughts that means nothing, spent a week in the Hebs with my brother fly fishing, he saw at least one Otter every day, I never saw one all trip.

Looking like this Thursday, 5th, at around 3pm at Emsworth Quay.

Hmm, looking a bit windy, but will wait till nearer the time to decide, forecast will probably change. I don't want to waste fuel for a trip I get seasick on

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/emsworth

As you say Mal, it could be a bit windy. Maybe the locals could suggest an alternative.

Mike
    To every opinion there is always an equal and opposite opinion.
    (Newtons fourth law)

That was great! If a little hard work paddling back into the wind....

Thanks Wayne.

I am looking forward to the blogg. Lovely afternoon. Not sure my arms will work in the morning.