Thread: Coastal paddle tomorrow Sunday 18th March

Default Coastal paddle tomorrow Sunday 18th March

Any Northeasterners who want to try sea paddling are very welcome to come along to Alnmouth beach, Northumberland tomorrow Sunday 18th March. Meet at the old Lifeboat Station at 10 am; come in to Alnmouth from Hipsburn, at the end of the causeway turn right at the roundabout and immediately left just past the Friary up a little street called The Wynd. Continue straight ahead through the golf course down to the beach car park. Conditions are looking good, half tide rising, wind light SW so should be reasonable but with just a little surf to make it fun. See you there
    'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis

Should be fairly big swell there tomorrow, with wavebouy 62164 expected to reach 12 foot tonight....

Expect almost head high waves breaking on the beach....

Let me know what you get please...I'm always looking to improve my wave forecasting

Default Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    Should be fairly big swell there tomorrow, with wavebouy 62164 expected to reach 12 foot tonight....

Expect almost head high waves breaking on the beach....

Let me know what you get please...I'm always looking to improve my wave forecasting
    I admit the met office forecast has been revised a bit since I looked last night, but only that the wind will be NW not SW but still light, under 8mph so as I said in my post we should get some surf but I doubt it'll be head high. Wave buoy 62164 is 120 miles due east of Peterhead so may not be the best indicator of surf conditions at Alnmouth! I have looked at the the nearest beach at Bamburgh for which surf predictions are available, and for Sunday morning that reads 2' breaking waves, less than waist high. However, I defer in all matters nautical to someone who stands up rather sits and paddles! We do have a plan B which is to launch inside the harbour, follow the rising tide up to the pub at Lesbury for lunch and stay awhile until we catch the falling tide back to Alnmouth. In fact, Plan B sounds better than Plan A so here's hoping for Dave's forecast head high surf!
    Last edited by nigelphoto; 17th-March-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Additional information
    'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis

It's a long range swell coming through... from way up north.

If I still lived there, I would be getting my stuff ready for a great surf tomorrow!

A 12 foot rise and fall at bouy 62164 will almost always translate into a 3 foot swell at the beach, if it is heading south, which usually breaks with about a 6 foot face

It will only be head high on the exposed beaches and reefs on the sets. It won't be a problem for you once you are out there, as it is a clean swell coming through. There is still uncertainty as to what the local wind will do, as there always is when a shallow low comes over England.

Head high waves should be no problem at all for a sea kayak anyway.

I NEVER bother with the met office at all as it's all made up of historical data from 24 hours previous. For coastal paddles, better do go with NOAA or NDBC and XCweather, you may also try the US navy WAM that does a very good model for the UK.

http://magicseaweed.com/Sunderland-Surf-Report/25/

Find your area and check it out..

There you go - a 2.5 foot swell at the beach with an 11 second period.... Those will almost certainly break at shoulder to head high on exposed beaches, more on the reefs.

Magic seaweed forecast is often wrong though. It has only been forecasting for ten years and a bit. I've been surf froecasting for a LOT longer than the lads at magicseaweed....

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Shame I missed that post Nigel ! Make sure Mick stays dry?
    "Everyone looks after themselves
    only I look after myself"