Thread: Severn Trent

Default Severn Trent

Hi all,

I was told a couple of days ago that Severn Trent were advised years ago that unrestricted canoeing on reservoirs was not safe! They took that to mean that sailing, windsurfing etc was ok.

The guy I was talking to works at Carsington Watersports, they are tasked to 'remove' canoeists from the water if they stray out of the 'postage stamp' of water we are allowed on.

So if they had that advice years ago would new guidelines from CE help Severn Trent change their mind?

Your thoughts?

TC

Now where did I put my common sense hammer?!

Default P,f,l,o,p

I have for some years been both confused and extremely annoyed by the people who own/run these man made lakes.

Why is it OK to hire a rowing boat to a fisher person,or encourage sail boarder's and dingy sailors,but not a canoeist ?

WHO has said this was right,and on what evidence.

EG, Why are we not welcome on Rutland Water.

I think we should challenge this groundless discrimination.

Can we please formulate a plan of action, I have a few idea's.

Speak up, give your thoughts air time.

...and there I was thinking that's what Canoe England took my money for?

I wonder if Doug has any suggestions?

TC

Whilst not being widely accepted in some sections of this forum I like to fish from my kayak. The access issues you quote on water where anglers in boats are permitted is valid. I should add that much of my paddling is 'respectable' and without fishing tackle.

I have made enquiries on many waters owned by water boards and had the knock back. Very often on the safety side. I have told them that as a matter of course I always carry a personal floatation device, mobile phone, spare paddle, dry suit, first aid kit, anchor etc and even a vhf radio if needeed, so am definitely better equipped than the average angler.

I challenged Anglian Water over Ravensthorpe Reservoir. They allow anglers to fish from a float tube but consider a kayak too dangerous. I explained that in a wind I would have more control and greater ability to get back to the launch point. I told them a kayak was more environmentally sound as we only use the top 6 inches of water as oppose to probably 2-3 feet for tubers who will disturb the bottom of the reservoir in the shallows. They were still adamant that it is a safety thing.

Rutland was the same even though they do have a canoe club that venture onto the main water but only in controlled groups http://www.rutlandcanoeclub.org.uk/ this might be a route some of you might like to take.

I have of course offered to pay a launch fee over and above the required fishing ticket and told them that via BCU membership I have 3rd party liability insurance, to no avail.

And so I feel that if as a kayaking angler I get total rebuttal then tackleless (???) paddlers are at an even greater disadvantage.
    Last edited by Izzetafox; 18th-March-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: attempt at beetter spelling

Journal Entries

Er.....

Im curious.

What happens if you put one of our Australian friends little sails on the front of your kayak?

You did say that sailing boats are allowed, didnt you?

Quote Originally Posted by No Idea View Post
    Er.....

Im curious.

What happens if you put one of our Australian friends little sails on the front of your kayak?

You did say that sailing boats are allowed, didnt you?
    Ah....Yes.... Then you could stand up and say it is a windsurfer.....

Journal Entries

If it gives you a course around an obsticle....