Thread: BCU access questionnaire

Default BCU access questionnaire

I think that it is time to help guide CE/BCU by finding out what paddlers think about access.

I've put a little surveymonkey together that I intend to publicise via as many avenues as possible:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/289KXT6

Feedback welcome from any sane and/or literate folks here who want to test it and suggest improvements I can make before it goes live? It does use question logic so you will get sent on different paths depending on whether you say you are a current BCU member, do or don't think that access agreements are a good idea at all etc.

Feedback by PM please.

Don't spend ages completing it though as this is just a test instance before it goes live. Your answers will not count!

I know you said feedback by PM, but if it's not in the thread you'll get the same things raised over and over, so here's my first suggestion:

It seems that the BCU are in the process of negotiating a new "access agreement" for the River Dart ...
    Maybe you could reword that as "If the BCU were to negotiate a new access agreement for the River Dart ... would you:"

Would you be prepared to support a call for an Extraordinary General Meeting of the BCU to put motions related to membership influence and access campaign reform?
    Support in what way? Would I have to attend?

Last points:

1. I think it would help to know how many questions/pages remain in the questionnaire (I know it's dynamic, but might be possible and encourage people to complete it rather than give up on page 4).

2. I think this is one of the best ideas I've seen with respect to BCU membership and all the issues surrounding what they do and how they do it. Thank you for kicking off this new approach!

This survey is a bit of a closed shop !!
    Why only the river Dart ???
    This should apply to ALL rivers.

Survey bounced me back to the beginning twice before completion.

I would support a no confidence motion in the board.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Default Survey live

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Survey bounced me back to the beginning twice before completion.

I would support a no confidence motion in the board.
    That is probably because I was fiddling with it at the time.

Final version now live at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bcu-river-access

Anyone who has an opinion please complete for yourselves and promote in any paddling communities as you see fit.

Completed. I look forward to the results.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Completed. I look forward to the results.

Snap

Added my bit too.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Thanks for the questionnaire. I was doing it (to test the process) at the time it went live so the answers are not necessarily accurate but to see how it worked. I qualified it with a comment to that effect on the final question. If it's been included in the live data can you delete it and I'll do it again.

How will you publish the results? Rather than have an end date after which the results are published can you reveal the results so far (no names or e-mails etc) after the questionnaire is completed or at the start. This may encourage people to participate - instant gratification!
    Keith

I will post interim results here and on UKRGB until the point where I feel that there is enough data to take it to the BCU and press.
    It has been live for a couple of hours and so far has just 21 responses. Very very early days and small numbers but 100% so far disagree with the negotiation of restrictive agreements. There is a 50:50 split of BCU members and non-members with 95% of folk who are or are willing to (re-)join supporting EGM or AGM motions to try and sort this mess out.

Keith, I've enabled re-visiting replies, so you should be able to go back to the survey and simply change the answers to the real ones. Once you have completed the survey from one computer, you can't complete another but you can re-visit and revise your original answers. Let me know if you need any help with this as I can see your reply and can probably delete it if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post
    Keith, I've enabled re-visiting replies
    Thanks. Sorted!
    Keith

Default +1

Thank you for producing.

Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post
    I will post interim results here and on UKRGB until the point where I feel that there is enough data to take it to the BCU and press.
    So after about 24hrs, we have 125 responses at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bcu-river-access I said that I will post interim numbers from time to time, but don't want to be too explicit to avoid a charge of skewing the results by influencing folks who haven't responded yet. This seems to be an 85% survey though. So far, 85% of responses disagree with the negotiation of restrictive VAAs. 65% are members of the BCU and 85% of those are dissatisfied with its access efforts. 85% of responders would support an EGM call and 90% would be prepared to support motions at the next AGM.

125 responses is kind of OK for 24hrs in a survey that I put together in my lunch hour yesterday, but we really do need an order of magnitude or two more responses to validate any conclusions. If anyone is a member of other paddling groups or clubs that have forums where this may be of interest then please do re-post.

The link is https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bcu-river-access and description text from page 1 of the survey is:

Done. Thanks for spending the time to put this together.

I guess because its posted in the access section, most of us who read it will already have an interest in, and opinions on, access. Perhaps a link should be added in General to get a more broader spectrum of paddlers involved?
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Done... and added to my FB page.
    "If you are not part of the solution, maybe you are part of the problem!"

Recreational paddler & outdoor activity instructor

i have added it to my forum on BCUK

Done.
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

Twopenny worth added.
    Hind sight is always 20/20

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Perhaps a link should be added in General to get a more broader spectrum of paddlers involved?
    Sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm a new boy around here so I'd rather a moderator gave the OK before I go off breaking the rules.

great initiative... we should post the link everywhere we can, send it to friends, help it go viral
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    great initiative... we should post the link everywhere we can, send it to friends, help it go viral
    Please do, anywhere pertinent that you can think of. The call that I just posted on the CE FB page is a bit crisper then my first description:

Can you spare a few moments to help with a survey on river access?
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/bcu-river-access
    Canoe England seems to be changing it's position on access, do you support the new agreements?
    Your feedback is important!
    We are now just short of 200 responses so the numbers are starting to stack up. Thanks for all the efforts folks.

Done, and posted a link on Facebook for all my canoeing chums.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Rob
    I got some feedback saying it might be better to state the what it is about and what will happen to the result at the start rather than at the end... some people are a bit cautious about filling in a questionnaire without knowing these details before they begin...
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    Rob
    I got some feedback saying it might be better to state the what it is about and what will happen to the result at the start rather than at the end... some people are a bit cautious about filling in a questionnaire without knowing these details before they begin...
    OK, I've added a couple of sentences to the pre-amble:
    The object of this survey is to sample paddling participants attitudes about river access in the UK. It also sets out to measure how effective paddlers think the BCU is at promoting access and what steps both current members and non-members would be prepared to take to improve matters.

The survey has not been organised or sponsored by the BCU but is an effort by grass roots paddlers to document opinions of the broad mass of participants. At the end of the survey the anonymised results will be fed back to the BCU for their information and comments and will be widely publicised on UK paddling websites. You will also be given the opportunity to optionally leave your e-mail address at the end of the survey and be sent a copy of the results personally. If you do so, your personal information will obviously only be used for the purposes you have authorised and will not under any circumstances be included in the results data.

You do not need to be a BCU member to contribute to this survey. If you are an active paddler on UK inland waters then your ability to go paddling may well be impacted by the apparent changing stance on access negotiation within Canoe England and you need to make your opinion count on this important issue.
    I don't think that there is any problem doing this "mid survey" as it is only descriptive about the survey itself rather than forming part of any question.

Done

Done

Done

The survey is going well, we now have 360 individual responses and the vast majority (83%) disagree with Canoe England's changing access stance. The majority are also either existing BCU members (68%) or aren't but would consider re-joining (20%) and of those two groups 83% would be prepared to lend their support to an EGM and 85% to one or more motions at next years AGM.

We now have 100s of people who would be prepared to get involved and improve the Canoe England/BCU situation for the next generation, but need a lot more to stand a chance of actually making this happen. I set myself a target of getting a minimum of 1000 positive responses to take this forwards with 2000 as a solid mandate. We are over a third of the way to my minimum number, but that is a heck of a lot more responses to go.

If you haven't given your opinion yet, please do so:

If you haven't circulated the URL to your club and your paddling mates, please do so. There are a few identifiable clusters in the results where there will be burst of 20-30 responses from the same geographical area within a few hours. I'm sure that this is where somebody has circulated the URL on a local forum or mailing list. Please do this now if you haven't already as this really clocks up the participation.

Response count now stands at 570. From a quick peek at the results so far, 78% "Disagree" (22%) or "Strongly Disagree" (56%) with CE/BCU ever negotiating non-365day+environmental access agreements.

A very large proportion, 94% rate the current BCU/CE access policy as somewhere between "non-existant" and "not very effective" with similar percentages for effectiveness of communication!

65% of those who have responded are current BCU members, and 75% of those who aren't would consider re-joining if they felt they could then have some influence on the access policy.

Of the above two groups (current members and those prepared to re-join), 85% would be prepared to support a call for an EGM and 82% would be prepared to either give a written proxy or physically attend next year's AGM to support at least one of a variety of straw-man motions on access and democratic reform of the BCU.

Now 570 responses is a brilliant level for a survey that I put together in half an hour in my lunch break, but I still think that we need at least a 1000 responses as a significant indicator and 2000 as a solid platform to actually get something done. We are well over half way to the 1000 and 2000 looks perfectly achievable.

With the BCU telling us yet again that only a "small proportion" of members who are concerned about its access stance, now more than ever is the time to give them some evidence that we know they are wrong.

If you haven't given your opinion yet, please do so:

If you haven't circulated the URL to your club and your paddling mates, please do so. Every time someone circulates the URL on another mailing list or forum we see a spike of at least 10-30 responses which really helps!

The responses are here in detail...
    http://goo.gl/V0sPW

Summary:

Out of 1447 respondents, 1045 disagree with the BCU negotiating date restrictive agreements. It won't make a lot of difference as 70% of paddlers will just paddle anyway when conditions are right (but half of those will expect more confrontation as a result). Of the handful of respondents that said they strongly agreed with BCU negotiating restrictive agreements many were identifiable committee members of one particular Angling Club (yes, they left their e-mail addresses - doh) who all answered the questions in exactly the same way!

Lots of people are members of the BCU (61%) but the most common reason by far is because they have to, to maintain their coaching status (63% of them) with no other reasons cited by a majority although the waterways license gets close (40%).

Contentedness with the BCUs general performance by members is a mixed bag with moderately satisfied being the most common (22.5%) and neither satisfied nor dissatisfied very close at (21.8%). Overall 37% express various shades of satisfaction with the BCU vs 41% who express shades of dissatisfaction.

When it comes to access performance though, members are pretty dissatisfied: 40.9% are extremely dissatisfied, 18.5% moderately dissatisfied, and 11% slightly dissatisfied. Just 17% of members are satisfied with the BCUs performance vs over 70% that expressed their dissatisfaction.

It looks like a good number are willing to do something about their dissatisfaction with 977 willing to submit a written EGM call and a similar number willing to give a proxy or physically attend the 2013 AGM to support a motion on one of a range of access and governance reform proposals.

Of the handful of respondents that said they strongly agreed with BCU negotiating restrictive agreements many were identifiable committee members of one particular Angling Club (yes, they left their e-mail addresses - doh) who all answered the questions in exactly the same way!

In your original post you stated:-

I think that it is time to help guide CE/BCU by finding out what paddlers think about access.

Therefore, as these people are non-paddlers surely they can, along with their eroneous, small minded and copycat views, be excised from any survey not aimed at their demographic?

Just my take

Rob.