Thread: Ron Drummond canoe surfing Dana Point...

Default Ron Drummond canoe surfing Dana Point...

Something to do for a change when we don't feel like using the sailing rigs?

Searching online.. I came across a source and a few references....

This photo was apparently donated by the Bascom family and was given to Willard Bascom by Ron 'Canoe' Drummond (who's presumably the one in the canoe). According to this source, "On the back of the photo is a hand-written note which reads":

The inner peace that comes with the quiet contemplation of a beach on a still calm morning, or the feeling of exhilaration that comes from riding a great wave in a small boat, is more reward than most will ever know.

Willard Bascom

This we have in common!

Sincerely,
    Ron Drummond
    Elsewhere....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron 'Canoe' Drummond
    We paddled out and the surf was probably about 20 feet high or so, I looked out about a mile were some tremendously big waves breaking. I asked if anybody wanted to go out there with me, but nobody did. So I went in my canoe and paddled out there. I set my sights in the U.S. and in Mexico, and figured out where I wanted to be. One of the biggest sets came through and I caught a wave that was bigger than most. I rode down it when it closed over me. I was caught in the tunnel. Well I rode near 100 feet in the tunnel and just barely made it out. If that wave would have collapsed on me, it would have killed me.

Now found a far better source: see here.

Ron “Canoe” Drummond (1907-1996)

Ron [...] was particularly into canoes and bought his first one around 1921, at the age of 14. On a dare from his brother, he dragged his canoe out into the surf only to have the canoe broken in two by a good sized wave. Undaunted, a tall (6-foot, 6-inches) Ron “Canoe” Drummond would go on to become known up and down the Southern California coastline, eventually canoe surfing waves as large as 15 feet.

Ron was the quintessential “canoe surfer.”
    Sounds like he was body surfing on earthquake-generated wave even as a kid... and in 1931, he "was the first one to publish a primer on bodysurfing, entitled The Art of Wave Riding".

This in the midst of lots else, from which:

During and after the war, he joined a select group of Southern California’s best watermen to ride California’s then-known biggest waves at the Tijuana Sloughs [...]

Canoe Drummond is generally recognized with having ridden his canoe in surf as big as 15-feet. He and his Canadian style canoe were featured in a 1967 issue of Surfer magazine. He also appeared in two surf movies: Big Wednesday (the Severson flick, 1961) and Pacific Vibrations (1970). He continued to swim, canoe and bodysurf into his mid-80s. In 1990, he appeared in a Nike ad featuring senior surfers that ran nationally within the U.S. He passed on in 1996, at age 89.

He sounds like quite a guy. People who stay active in the outdoors until late in their lives are truly inspirational to me (my dad's out in the alps this week skiing at the grand age of 77). I only hope that I am able to follow their examples to some degree.
    A couple of years ago I was on a windsurfing trip to Tiree and on a windless day we went longboard surfing on tiny but really clean, long duration waves at Crossapol beach. I'm not really a surfer (I've dabbled and have a half share in a beautiful Fluid Juice longboard) but I reckon those waves would have been amazing fun in an open canoe. Someday....

Journal Entries

Fantastic pictures! And here is the invention of SUP!

Can you hear Wavecloud saying.... "I told you a SUP is a canoe!! I told you!!"
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post

Don't encourage him!
    Juvanile delinkwit (retired), vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers.

Bump.. What this the thread Dave? Canoe Drummond did 15ft in a canoe
    ........Enthusiastically incapable .

Somehow missed this one and Greg missed mine it seems..

This one I posted has a pic of im in bigger stuff... http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...Canoe-Drummond-)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Fantastic pictures! And here is the invention of SUP!

Single blade = Canoe

I don't think me in my Ranger will go down all that well in the line-up down Bantham ! Kayakers got enough stick!
    ........Enthusiastically incapable .