Thread: In a moment of weakness or was it enthusiasm we've bought a ........

Red face In a moment of weakness or was it enthusiasm we've bought a ........

Hi,

This Saturday an innocent conversation with a friend resulted in (3 hours later) the acquisition of a Coleman RAM-X Gold Medalist 16 for a princely 40, without any knowledge of the subject or any idea if it'll even float! ( I have my doubts )

My boys are so excited they could burst and have already cleaned it inside and out and christened it "The Smelly Haddock" I know, I know, but they're happy.

As for my husband...well he's not at all happy, he'll come round.

Was I ripped off, will it float, how safe is it and where's best to buy life-jackets and straps to secure it to the car...also how many people & dogs will it safely carry at once???

Look forward to being laughed at very shortly......LOL

WW

Forty quid!!

Bargain!!!

Welcome here

I'm so very happy for you, if it doesn't float I'm sure you can repair it and get hours of pleasure on the water. What you've done for your boys is a great thing and I wish you many happy days enjoying canoeing.

Oh, and welcome to the community.

Are you being serious or just humouring me?

Quote Originally Posted by WasdaleWanderer View Post
    Are you being serious or just humouring me?
    - sorry I meant about the 40! not the welcome...thank you...it is badly scuffed but no sign of puncture at all.

Journal Entries

then 40 quid is a bargain. You can get straps and PFDs/BAs/Life Jackets from any good canoe store. There should be a brookbank somewhere closeish (other canoe stores are available!)

Welcome aboard
    Cheers,

Alan

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

You weren't ripped off and it will float!

You'll get two or three people and a dog in it no bother.

Not sure where the nearest canoe shop is to you for lifejackets (aka bouyancy aids or BAs, aka personal flotation devices or PFDs) - is there still a shop at the Tees Barrage whitewater place? Or ebay....

Wel done! Congrats.

Hope you have lots of fun.

Moderate to poor, becoming good

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    You weren't ripped off and it will float!

You'll get two or three people and a dog in it no bother.

Not sure where the nearest canoe shop is to you for lifejackets (aka bouyancy aids or BAs, aka personal flotation devices or PFDs) - is there still a shop at the Tees Barrage whitewater place? Or ebay....

Wel done! Congrats.

Hope you have lots of fun.

Thanks for that - the nearest Brookbank is Carlisle, a fairly long way from here, but an option - now then I never thought of the Tees Barrage, what a good idea I'll have a look into that....I've been told Go-Outdoors isn't much good and can't think of any other options.

Many thanks,

WW

Hello and Welcome!

40 is about as cheap as I've ever heard of for a canoe...don't tell your friend!

The main thing for a buoyancy aid is that it fits properly, comfortable and won't slide upwards when you fall in.

You're soon going to love this paddling thing, I warn you!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Welcome WasdaleWanderer.
    Your Coleman sounds fine; just check it has the flotation blocks in each end and make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight.
    You'll get Thule roofrack straps from Halfords - search around the forum for how to tie it on.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Hi,

The floatation blocks look like there made out of old orange expanded foam....but they seem in one piece and fairly secure in there....will go to Halfords as suggested. Thanks

WW

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

40 is an absolute bargain. You and your lads will have a great time. (And Himself should come around in time) Welcome
    Fran

After the warm welcome I received, let me chime in with a Welcome as well!
    (hey, where's that funny "L")40, approx $100Canadian, is great price, and everyone will thank you eventually!
    Your Coleman is no sports car, but it should be pretty safe and stable - well, 'til the boys discover Gunnel-walking, dueling with paddles. Good times...

Great buy, especially since you've got summer on the horizon. Enjoy.

40 - bargain & welcome. You can get average / decent buoyancy aids anywhere (including Go Outdoors) - the most important thing is that they fit well (i.e. won't pop over your head if you go for a swim). If you're just starting out, get some decent ones cheap from any outdoors store / flea-bay / gumtree and go and enjoy yourselves.

So, a Wasdale Wanderer......where I'm planning a quick paddle this morning (Wastwater).

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    40 - bargain & welcome. You can get average / decent buoyancy aids anywhere (including Go Outdoors) - the most important thing is that they fit well (i.e. won't pop over your head if you go for a swim). If you're just starting out, get some decent ones cheap from any outdoors store / flea-bay / gumtree and go and enjoy yourselves.

So, a Wasdale Wanderer......where I'm planning a quick paddle this morning (Wastwater).

Hi MaxiP and everyone who's responded from all over the world, that's a bit mind-blowing!

SO very jealous of you paddling on Wastwater today, I grew up there it's a magical place - spent much of my youth up in the mountains in and around Wasdale occasionally swimming in the (very cold) becks, but never canoeing.

Went out and bought a couple of bolts & nuts today to repair the down stands (for want of a better term) under 2 of the seats, got some paint to scribe the affectionate name the boys have christened her on her side & a length of cable & a lock to tie her to a tree when necessary (already planning wild camps!), some pipe lagging for the very severe metal carry handles and plans to head up to Carlisle soon to visit Brookbank.

Also thinking where best to take her on her "maiden" voyage on the river Tees, landowners round here are getting a bit twitchy about the launching of "craft" on their precious fishing river!

Anyway thinking of you in Wasdale....lucky, lucky you....mind you Teesdale aint too bad either!!!!

WW

Journal Entries

Also thinking where best to take her on her "maiden" voyage on the river Tees, landowners round here are getting a bit twitchy about the launching of "craft" on their precious fishing river!
    You can lauch just upstream from the Tees Barrage and paddle up the river.

I did it a couple of years ago. Some pics here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...es-On-the-Tees

Crow Trip Log

Er ...that looks a little scary, big, wide and with too many people watching & with the added entertainment (risk) of commercial vessels for my liking!!!!!

I'll pass it by "the team" tonight.....

I assume the general public can just launch their boats from there without permission, permit or qualifications & licence???

Nice set of photos though. Ta.

WW

Welcolme WW, the Tees Barrage does indeed have a well stocked shop, for a gentler first paddle try the Tees at Preston Park or Talkin Tarn
    Chestnut Bob (Redcar)

Journal Entries

Er ...that looks a little scary, big, wide and with too many people watching & with the added entertainment (risk) of commercial vessels for my liking!!!!!

I'll pass it by "the team" tonight.....

I assume the general public can just launch their boats from there without permission, permit or qualifications & licence???

Nice set of photos though. Ta.

WW
    Yeah, we did. And we can be classed as "general public". Just about!

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    You can lauch just upstream from the Tees Barrage and paddle up the river.

I did it a couple of years ago. Some pics here: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...es-On-the-Tees
    Just got back from a quick paddle there today.

Been quite a few times and never had a problem with Hoards of spectators infact today 2 people walking dogs.

A couple of open Canoes and one Kayak Going up river as we were making our way back to the Slipway..

It is for sure a great starting place with plenty of parking as well.

Sonar

I owned one of those for several years.

A bit heavy and a not brilliantly manoeuvrable but sound in rough water. They were a few hundred pounds new. But for 40 sounds like a bargain. It'll certainly float and they are pretty indestructible.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.com/

Hi,

This Saturday an innocent conversation with a friend resulted in (3 hours later) the acquisition of a Coleman RAM-X Gold Medalist 16 for a princely 40, without any knowledge of the subject or any idea if it'll even float! ( I have my doubts )

WW
    Belated welcome and dont worry, your boat will float. If you want some inspiration and to see what they can do look at Calamity Kate's bloggs
    Regards,
    Stravaiger
    Last edited by Stravaiger; 15th-March-2012 at 10:23 PM.
    Everyone must believe in something. I believe I will go Canoeing. H. D. Thoreau.

"Waste of time reasoning with the morally demented"

Look forward to being laughed at very shortly......LOL

WW
    Hi and Welcome. For 40 you'll be laughing at everyone else soon when you know what some of us paid to get on the water Even if it only lasted a year it's a bargain! I paid more than that for the fuel when picking mine up from the shop!

I'm sure you'll have lots of good days out in it.
    --
    Andy

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Welome to SOTP, WW.

YOU ARE KEEPING THE COLEMAN FLAG FLYING !! And for 40 quid !

Consider yourself the custodian of this iconic craft. When all the fancy composites , wood strips, and birch barks etc etc have died, your Smelly Haddock will still be around..God bless her and all those who sail in her.

Back in the 70's Coleman was the only open canoe I was aware of ! (I had a sheltered childhood).

Seriously though..enjoy your new boat.. TB

PS its unlucky to change the name of a boat! Mine is ' Cute Lil Beaver'....ummmm.
    ........Enthusiastically incapable .

Thanks to all of you for responding..I'll keep you posted, got to get some more kit together first....

A friend of mine, who has a couple of kayaks and will be sharing our adventures has prompted me to ask if anyone has experience & tips, ideas, hints etc of paddling & camping Loch Ken and the river/s flowing into it?

It's one of the many ideas we have brewing.

WW

Hi MaxiP and everyone who's responded from all over the world, that's a bit mind-blowing!

SO very jealous of you paddling on Wastwater today, I grew up there it's a magical place - spent much of my youth up in the mountains in and around Wasdale occasionally swimming in the (very cold) becks, but never canoeing.

Went out and bought a couple of bolts & nuts today to repair the down stands (for want of a better term) under 2 of the seats, got some paint to scribe the affectionate name the boys have christened her on her side & a length of cable & a lock to tie her to a tree when necessary (already planning wild camps!), some pipe lagging for the very severe metal carry handles and plans to head up to Carlisle soon to visit Brookbank.

Anyway thinking of you in Wasdale....lucky, lucky you....mind you Teesdale aint too bad either!!!!

WW
    Used to have one of those, years ago. Safe, stable, paddles quite well ..... took one down Loch Ness once , with a full expedition load, in massive swell and it never shipped a drop of water. Get some clear plastic hosepipe type tubing to cover the carry handles - it will make it more comfortable to hold, and will last much better than pipe lagging.
    Have fun.

Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom, 107666599263369, Plymouth

I think there is a canoe shop in Keswick mainly sea kayaks but the will do pfd's etc also think about contacting outdoor centres in the area outward bound in eskdale where selling second hand stuff a while back
    John R
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    I think there is a canoe shop in Keswick mainly sea kayaks but the will do pfd's etc
    Are you thinking of Knoydart? Their shop used to be in Keswick, but they have moved to Penrith now.

Hi,

Well gave Brookbank (Carlisle) a call before we set of to buy pfd's from them on Saturday (CSR's 29.99 ea) and glad we did, they are totally sold out and won't be getting any stock until April!!! (that saved a 3 hour round trip).

Called Tees Barrage (Whitewater shop) reluctantly as I've beed told they are very expensive, glad I did, although they didn't have a huge amount of stock - they (just) had what we needed, PALM pfd's at 29.95 each - saved 4p each AND an extra 2 hour drive. Sorted.

And to top that was able to watch not only white water rafting but also the Northumbria Swift Water Rescue crew practising in the waters, which alone taught my boys the power of the river and that if you don't panic, relax on your back go with the flow and then in a moment of calmer water you can swim effectively to the side & out....not a bad mornings work.

Thanks to Steve for his tips on Loch Ken.

WW

Good to have such a good bargain hunter along for the trip. Can't go wrong for 40 quid. As with 'Chainsaw' with advice.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Where the Maker said 'that'll do': Northumberland.

Wow great bargain, wish I had a chance like that, would have saved many a moan and groan. I'm having the same issue with life jackets, we getting some from here:

http://www.northeastkayaks.co.uk/

these I think? http://www.northeastkayaks.co.uk/pro...reation-pfd--s

although I think they had some others in for 25 or so.