Thread: Calling All ProgRock Lovers...

Thumbs up Calling All ProgRock Lovers...

Knowing there are a few 'old men with beards' here and for anybody who thought that amazing stuff from the days of King Crimson, Yes and Genesis would never be repeated....... Music so good and imaginative that it could almost put you in a trance of reckless abandonment......

Thank's to Jo Whiley, I've recently discoverd these amazingly talented brothers.....

Field Music

It's not really like me to post something like this in Off Topic, but I have been SO blown away by these two that I had to share

Here's a couple of their tunes -

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

I haven't got a beard!

Yet.

What kind of boat does Jo Whiley paddle then? Is she coming on the Corfe trip?

Fine words butter no parsnips

Crow Trip Log

Field Music? Prog rock? To me its more just good old indie music. Good though. If you like that sort of thing what the deuce are you doing listening to Jo Wiley's shows? Get yourself over to 6 music quick sharp, especially in the evenings where Marc Riley and Gideon Coe's shows are just amazing. Best music station out there for my money.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I'm all in for a bit of beard-stroking, sandal-wearing prog-rock noodling.
    So much so that on the way into work this very morning I was listening to:

Mind you coming home I was listening to Thomas Tallis ... (who died in 1585).

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Field Music? Prog rock? To me its more just good old indie music. Good though. If you like that sort of thing what the deuce are you doing listening to Jo Wiley's shows? Get yourself over to 6 music quick sharp, especially in the evenings where Marc Riley and Gideon Coe's shows are just amazing. Best music station out there for my money.
    Pit was just on the off chance - I usually list to Paul O'Grady

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    I'm all in for a bit of beard-stroking, sandal-wearing prog-rock noodling.
    So much so that on the way into work this very morning I was listening to:

Fantastic!

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    Fantastic!
    Short, but very cool.

There's tons out there.
    The 25 minutes or so of 'Amon Düül 's - Phallus Dei' are worth a look (if you are in the mood for it).

Maybe pushing the prog bit a bit far, but this looks kinda entertaining.
    Stockhausen's Mittwoch aus Licht to be performed in Birmingham - helicopters and all !

Now that's what I call music.

prog rock....after all these years shouldn't it have progressed enough by now to be something different

Quote Originally Posted by andylincs View Post
    prog rock....after all these years shouldn't it have progressed enough by now to be something different
    Def not!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

The 25 minutes or so of 'Amon Düül 's - Phallus Dei' are worth a look (if you are in the mood for it).
    Amon Düül II were pretty good Krautrockers, much better than Amon Düül I, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by SandfordSailor View Post
    Now that's what I call music.
    I've searched all 81 "Now That's What I Call Music" CDs, and I can't find Thomas Tallis on any of them!

Fine words butter no parsnips

Crow Trip Log

Maybe we should use the opportunity of this thread to introduce younger members to the world of prog rock?

This is Genesis in 1973 when Phil Collins had hair, Steve Hackett sat on a stool to play bass and Peter Gabriel was..Peter Gabriel!
    Notice the attentive audience would just sit and listen unlike many audiences of today who would be better suited to being in a gym or play group than in an audience!
    A vital instrument from early 70's prog rock is the mellotron which Tony Banks uses to full effect in the 2'30" intro.

Nice one Wavecloud - as an older man with a now slightly tidier beard and one hell of a lot less hair (as in none!) who was never seen without a LedZep album under his arm - I appreciate your good taste.

Without doubt Radio 6 is the best music station out there.......as well as being a decent DJ, Jo Whiley does alot for the disabled scene up here in Northamptonshire.

My two mild obsessions musically are Atomic Rooster & Mungo Jerry - might at first glance appear unconnected but this might shed light http://mungojerry.com/about.html The link between those two and Fleetwood Mac is IMHO simply one album that all should listen to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Case_for_the_Blues

Finally - cheers Monkey Pork - just listened to some Thomas Tallis at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Tallis - very impressive stuff.

Cheers,

Dick
    Last edited by Patterdale Paddler; 18th-March-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus

God there was some dross about during the seventies. If ever you wanted an explanation as to why punk happened, that Genesis vid will provide it!

I'm addicted to the odd dose of prog rock too. There said it and glad I've now got that out in the open. Unfortunately too young to appreciate the golden era in the 70's.

If you like prog rock then I recommend the Prog Rock Archives http://www.progarchives.com/. A superb collection of links, an A-Z of groups and so on. The forum is a bit up its own fundament but apart from that it's excellent. I've bought quite a bit of new music as a consequence of that site.
    Malc

...Hear me now from the Invisible Opera Company of Tibet...