Thread: Lowes water day out

Default Lowes water day out

Would Anyone Fancy a Day Out/Get together Sometime in April on Lake LOWES WATER here in Cumbria ?

Took this today whilst walking our dog and its just crying out to be paddled on

LOWES WATER by Cumbrian Snapper, on Flickr
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself before you can find anything....................

I had a quick paddle on it last week with a friend who's becoming interested in paddling. It was a lovely paddle but the wind created quite a bit of chop right in the middle (NW wind) that made it uncomfortable to paddle directly across. Plenty of nice spots in Holme Wood for a brew - we stopped at a little shingle beach at the end of a beck / stream and had our coffee; found plenty of fallen wood for the Kelly Kettle and although very damp, we got it going in the end.

I'd definitely be interested in another paddle as it is (IMHO) a glorious spot that is overlooked as people make their way to Crummock / Buttermere. Challenge for me is getting free time at weekends between kids sports / dancing / etc !!

I would be up for it but your not allowed any private craft on it, only the hire row boats from Watergate Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    I would be up for it but your not allowed any private craft on it, only the hire row boats from Watergate Farm.
    That's a bummer, it looks a nice water too.

So the question is, would a rowing boat catch a canoe?
    Rich

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

English Access Restrictions yet again!

I'd be up for a protest paddle.

Let me know when you're thinking of going...

In the cool of the evening by the last light of the triple sun, I wait by the go-tree when the day's busy work is done...

Crow Trip Log

Hadn't realised that - I did check on BCU & Lake District National Parks and neither said you couldn't paddle it. Ah well......

Journal Entries

Jfdi

In the cool of the evening by the last light of the triple sun, I wait by the go-tree when the day's busy work is done...

Crow Trip Log

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Protest paddle where? when? count me in (unless its mid-April, I have plans for that weekend)
    What are we protesting for/against/about anyway? Oh, don't answer that, I don't give a sh&t!
    "Is life getting easier or do I just paddle more?"

Journal Entries

Just an excuse to go somewhere we're "not allowed". Like we usually do.

Crow Trip Log

We could always do crummock water in the morning and after lunch pop across the field into loweswater.
    Do some relaxed sensual protesting on one of the most beautiful lakes England has to offer.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself before you can find anything....................

Journal Entries

That sounds ..... exotic?

But yep sure - good idea!

Crow Trip Log

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian View Post
    We could always do crummock water in the morning and after lunch pop across the field into loweswater.
    Do some relaxed sensual protesting on one of the most beautiful lakes England has to offer.
    It is an established tradition in the border town of Berwick-on-Tweed that every March when the annual seagull cull is announced, a group of middle aged ladies who should know better assemble at the town hall and take off all their clothes - is this the sort of 'relaxed sensual protest' you have in mind Pete?
    'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by nigelphoto View Post
    It is an established tradition in the border town of Berwick-on-Tweed that every March when the annual seagull cull is announced, a group of middle aged ladies who should know better assemble at the town hall and take off all their clothes - is this the sort of 'relaxed sensual protest' you have in mind Pete?
    Only if the moon is full on the first night of april :-)

I think that the restrictions on Loweswater are because of the blue-green algae that affects the lake, and to stop it spreading. While it's a lovely lake, I'd rather go to Crummock for a day paddle.

Cheers, Michael.
    Cheers, Michael.

Brute Force and Ignorance is Vastly Underrated.

"There is magic in the feel of a paddle and the movement of a canoe, a magic compounded of distance, adventure, solitude, and peace."
    -Sigurd Olson

I am up for any Cumbrian paddle

I am up for any Cumbrian paddle
    For a moment there I read that as "I am up for any Cumbrian paddleR and was going to warn Cumbrian and The Cumbrian to be cautious of inviting you....

Good photo in the OP!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle