Thread: Canoe tour in Ireland? Suggestions please.

Default Canoe tour in Ireland? Suggestions please.

anyone got any recomendations for a 4/5 day canoe tour in Ireland. I've done tours on the Spey and Tay and going to the Dee (in Scotland) in April and am wondering where to go in 2013. Our group is comfortable on Grade 2-3 water, wild camping preferred. River/lough combination would be good.
    I've just ordered the Classic Irish Canoe Tours book which I'm sure will help plan something but personal/ local knowledge would be very helpfull.
    cheers
    Tim

A few years ago, I did quite a long stretch of the Shannon & Erne waterway and whilst it's all flat paddling, it does go through some of the nicest scenery you could hope for. Not sure about the camping aspect - we did it 20 yrs ago and stayed at 'proper' sites. Other than that, there are several long paddles possible (river Bann & Lough Enre) but there aren't that many rivers with G2 WW. I'm sure that a few more locals will be able to give you more info.

Thanks for the suggestion...I've made a note....

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiP View Post
    A few years ago, I did quite a long stretch of the Shannon & Erne waterway and whilst it's all flat paddling, it does go through some of the nicest scenery you could hope for. Not sure about the camping aspect - we did it 20 yrs ago and stayed at 'proper' sites. Other than that, there are several long paddles possible (river Bann & Lough Enre) but there aren't that many rivers with G2 WW. I'm sure that a few more locals will be able to give you more info.

Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

hi , last year i paddled the Bann from sea to the teame bridge on loch neagh, it was a bit slow as you'd expect somewhat dull but then went on to tthe shannon- erne waterway nad down the shannon, no problems with wild camping and some lovely scenery, turned onto the grand canal at shannon bridge and headed for dublin, the canal was very quiet and mostly weed covered , turned off south and eventually got onto the River Barrow which was the quickest water of the lot, a fair number of weirs to run along the way and again no problems with the riverside camping, they didnt mind me camping by the locks on the waterways in the south and the Barrow is your best bet if you want a few days touring . plenty of places to stop and if you get in touch with Charlie who runs a canoe touring venture in Carlow sorry i cant remeber his last name he will give you some tips on the barrow river .
    theres a guide to the barrow navigation published by the inland waterways of ireland ISBN number 0-7076-6142-0 if its still in print if you
    The answer is blowin' in the wind......

Try the CANOENI website for some multiday trips in the north, or if you want to use funny money then I can recommend the River Inny (Grade 1/2) - from Loch Sheelin down through to Derrevarragh (Campsite here or wildcamp anywhere) onwards into Lough Ree then you can head up or down the Shannon and join either the Grand Canal (if you head south) or the Royal Canal (if you head upwards). Great countryside and a cross- section of lake river and canal- 4 days ideal but you can do more if you want. If you fancy this route email me; some fo the info in the Ireland book is out of date,.

Second alternative would be Lough OUghter- Erne River- Upper then Lower Loch Erne. Apart from a short section at teh begining where there are some weirs usually portaged and a section in Belturbet there is no real ww but its my favourite part of the country. 4-5 days would be ideal.

The barrow i have never done but is another long trip option...

From Dublin down the Royal canal - River inny- Lough ree- Shannon to Limerick took me 10 days but you might be faster than i am..nice varied route with some historic site along the banks.

Or just use Google maps and make something up - thats what I do when work is quiet!

If you have any specific questions fire away either here or pm

Andrew

Hi , the Blackwater in Cork would be a possibility. You might be able to stretch it to 4/5 days if you get the tide wrong no white water though.
    Eoin

Thanks again for all the suggestions from you all... sounds like there'll be plenty for us to do.
    Tim

Thanks Andrew, really useful info...I'll have a look at the maps..

Quote Originally Posted by owengriffiths View Post
    Try the CANOENI website for some multiday trips in the north, or if you want to use funny money then I can recommend the River Inny (Grade 1/2) - from Loch Sheelin down through to Derrevarragh (Campsite here or wildcamp anywhere) onwards into Lough Ree then you can head up or down the Shannon and join either the Grand Canal (if you head south) or the Royal Canal (if you head upwards). Great countryside and a cross- section of lake river and canal- 4 days ideal but you can do more if you want. If you fancy this route email me; some fo the info in the Ireland book is out of date,.

Second alternative would be Lough OUghter- Erne River- Upper then Lower Loch Erne. Apart from a short section at teh begining where there are some weirs usually portaged and a section in Belturbet there is no real ww but its my favourite part of the country. 4-5 days would be ideal.

The barrow i have never done but is another long trip option...

From Dublin down the Royal canal - River inny- Lough ree- Shannon to Limerick took me 10 days but you might be faster than i am..nice varied route with some historic site along the banks.

Or just use Google maps and make something up - thats what I do when work is quiet!

If you have any specific questions fire away either here or pm

Andrew