Thread: River Medway Cleanup

Default River Medway Cleanup

Many Hands on the Medway

Join us as part of Go Paddling Week to keep the River Medway looking pristine.
    Scouts, Cadets, Clubs, Centres, groups and individuals who use the Medway are invited to a mass clean up of floating and tree borne debris on 14th or 15th April 2012.
    Sections of the river will be divided up to manageable sections and arrangements made for easy access, and for spots to place collected rubbish. Rubbish bags provided.
    Kayaks and canoes welcome.
    Supported by the Environment Agency.
    Paddle the River Trail and improve it.
    Be part of 500 paddlers on the river, doing your bit to make it a cleaner place.

This cleanup is being organised by the River Medway Paddlers group.

Please register your interest/willingness to attend here. I will provide further details regarding the organisation as soon as I am able.

Sadly, Elveys and I are unable to come to this even as we will be in North Wales.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Hi Matto ,Put me down for this ,I'll check with Twosugars about his shift pattern to see if he's free . If enough SOTP folks are interested we could do a campover at the Hop Farm. Sorry you were just too late for coffee when we saw you last time ,but enjoy Nth Wales.

Regards Ted
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today,cos if you enjoy it today you can do it again tomorrow

Hi Matto Can you put me down, with one crew for this one, i think it is essential to do this kind of thing from time to time. It all makes sence, we all want to use our rivers, so why not have them looking there best. Please keep me posted. Regards Tony

Hopefully be there if shifts allow. (would like to make a quick and dirty build of a garbage barge to tow behind

(like the one posted here )

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...219#post385219

Think I'm around for this - Cara commented on the amount of rubbish on the banks last time we were there... be good to help do something about it.

A

I can be there for the sunday, working till 1600 on saturday. The environment agency have done good things for canoeists on the medway, glad to lend a hand.
    "Not taking life seriously since 1970"

I will check the diary if I can move a client then I will be there. It's always a good day out paddling and removing the debris from the banks. Good way to gather fishing kit too.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    I will check the diary if I can move a client then I will be there. It's always a good day out paddling and removing the debris from the banks. Good way to gather fishing kit too.
    Indeed, I'm the proud new owner of a razor sharp filleting knife found bobbing handle-up in the Derbyshire Derwent

Hi is anyone going to make a towing barge, as suggested by Andre. I thought i would give it a go, maybe affix a plastic wheelbarrow body to a wooden pallet. A sort of floating skip, this could be used for the heavy stuff. Does anyone think a large piece of netting would be useful, so as to drag alongside, this could be used for keeping all the smaller foilage and light branches together, then dragged up the bank or wherever, and disposed of. Just thought i would put a few suggestions forward. Would like to hear from anyone with any ideas. regards Tony

Hopefully I'll make one or both days.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Will try to make at least one of the days, Good to give a little back !

count me and the boss in (camp over would be fun)

Hi all ,I'll make enquiries tomorrow about costs of a Fri eve to Sunday campover at the Hop Farm rally field by the Medway and post it here .

Ted
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today,cos if you enjoy it today you can do it again tomorrow

Hi all ,Just got an email from Vicky at The Hop Farm re camping fees which are (SOTP)Caravan up to 4 people 11, Motor homes the same ,Tents up to 4 occupants 11,Single person Pup tents 5-50, I'll talk to her about reducing that Pup tent price cos single folk are paying more . In principal though how many folks would be up for camping over,if so tack your names below . Ta, Ted

Ted,Kay & Chris(twosugars)

Thanks Ted

Davy90 + Samuel - Saturday only.

Thanks Ted

Davy90 + Samuel - Saturday only.

Ian & Sue, camp Sat night, help clean-up Sunday

Thanks guys ,have contacted Vicky who has dropped pup tent price to 5 after I threatened to move next door to her.

regards Ted

Quote Originally Posted by woodworm View Post
    Thanks guys ,have contacted Vicky who has dropped pup tent price to 5 after I threatened to move next door to her.

regards Ted
    Yeah that would do it . she probably needs councilling now.

I might be able to make this meet after all and could bring my dory if I get towing electrics fixed on the Landy

Counselling certainly helped me ,my brain is like Swiss clock now ,it goes cuckoo at regular intervals.

Just a reminder to those contemplating camping .we won't be clearing rubbish all the time ,there is going to be plenty of time for fun paddling,

Hi all, Matto is going to forward info from organisers to me shortly regarding details ,looks as though we could be doing the Oak weir to Sluice weir section ,I'll post as soon as I receive it, I'll be camping at Hop Farm from Friday about 3o/c

Look forward to seeing you all there ,Ted

Unfortunately won't be able to make this now, pesky 'other commitments'.

I hope to camp Saturday night now. Will I need to book (still not quite 100% sure I'll make it), or just turn up.

Hopefully Ted has sufficient info to organise things. If I can provide any more help please let me know.

Of course you've probably all done this before but may I suggest anyone with airbags remove them. You're likely to be tangling with a lot of brambles in my experience, and they don't like airbags!
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Hi Matto, I'm now just back from a wet weekend in Norfolk and have just sent an email to Paul Newman to arrange my picking up bags and grabbers etc also location for dropping off rubbish I'm now awaiting that info .

Sorry you can't make it Adrian we'll catch you next time .

Great Mal, We'll have the Blast Furnace ready.

Hi Tony Woodisgood ,I haven't heard anything about free parking where did you mean.

To Fathom,Lyn ,Ian and Sue ,Andre, I hope you all can still make it or anyone else who fancies a bit of fun canoeing and an evening round a campfire.

regards to All Ted

Default clean up

yep we are still good, do you have a number to book a pitch Friday and Saturday nights?

Hi Fathom,enough pitches are booked we just pay on the day,see you then

We are just clearing one pen or section between Oak weir and Sluice weir,I will have bags and grabbers on site (bring your own gloves )Some folk are on for both days amd some for just one (whatever you fancy doing ) probably starting about 10/30 both days and launching from The Hop Farm and going on till we get bored . The EA will have a boat cruising the Medway collecting rubbish bags or we leave it at the EA wharf at Yalding if we find ourselves that far down ( theres a rumour there 's a pub there Mal) on Sunday afternoon. I 'm going to bring a rake or something to hoick out any hard to reach rubbish.

see you all then Ted

Ted and esteemed company, Suzy and I are hoping that I can shake off work stresses and attend to help make the Medway the kind of place we all want it to be.
    I won't know 'til friday if I can escape, so is there a cut off time for arriving friday evening (getting Suzy compusmentos at an early hour is the task of Titans for Sat am arrival)

P.S. The pub rumour is true, I seen it from the Ally, there is also Teapot Island, a very nice tea inspired cafe who had the most helpfull staff last visit...though I gravitate to the pub instinctively

Rob.

Hey, its the long lost Rob. Be good to see you and Suzy again. If you give one of us a call when you get there Fri,we can bring a key out to you. Then you can book-in in the morning.

I am coming for the weekend and bringing the dory.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
    Hey, its the long lost Rob. Be good to see you and Suzy again. If you give one of us a call when you get there Fri,we can bring a key out to you. Then you can book-in in the morning.

I am coming for the weekend and bringing the dory.
    That's great ...just need a contact no. or two (PM naturally) I never remember to write them down separate from the sim card/phone....that gets corrupted or lost.

Speaking of lost..that's where I've been... either on site or in the workshop or sat here drawing and re-drawing solutions, on a brain strangling project that has been mis-managed from the start

So just had an occasional browse to try and keep up when coffee breaks allowed.

Rob.

Hi Silverbirch
    Do you know where to launch the dory, at hop farm, if so i will bring mine. Regards Tony

Hi, woodisgood, I recon I could launch at the same place we put the canoes in last time. Will have to saw a clear path out into the river from there .

Working this week end (and the next two,unfortunately) so will not be joining you guys.

Sounds like a very civilized litter pick-a large dory,warm cuddy and hot coffee for the litter pickers every so often

Good luck everyone. Sorry I can't be there. Hope the weather is kind, the camping good, and the cleanup goes well.
    Matto

I should be arriving by about 10 on Saturday morning. I presume I just sign it at the office as last time. Thanks for organising it yet again Ted.

Anybody else care to join us?

Expect us Sat afternoon, subject to car passing MOT,well, likely be there regardless of the result !
    Boiling water for no apparent reason

Hi Ian , we'll see you there ,
    Andre and Matto and Adrian ,Teacher is noting all these absences in the register you know . you won,t be attending the Xmas party unless it improves .

regards Ted

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post

Sounds like a very civilized litter pick-a large dory,warm cuddy and hot coffee for the litter pickers every so often
    Hmmm dont know how warm its going to be in it unless I put Twosugars blazing inferno in the front,but there will be coffee.

Hi

Interested in coming up to this - where is the meeting point. I know details are on Facebook but I don't have an account there.
    Please post here or PM me - will be driving down from NW London

The SOTP group are camping at the Hop Farm. The camp spot is some way from the road but you should be able to drive in and meet them for the day (Sunday is cleanup day).

Thanks elveys - but I was rather hasty in agreeing to go when my Defender is at the dealer over the weekend as they couldn't repair it in time !!

I do have another car but no roof-bars to carry the canoe on. Darn!

Thanks for everybody's efforts and company. Medway now all spangly & clean...at least the middle bit we did!

I'll sort the photos out tomorrow.

Great week end folks, thanks for great welcome and company, looking forward to pictures as I spent all weekend hanging on to stuff for grim death that i forgot to get the camera out.

Thanks from us two too, another weekend in good company and a little good turn done so to speak !
    Regards to all
    Ian & Sue
    (Bob sends wet kisses to those who enquired after him !)
    Boiling water for no apparent reason

It was great to see such a crowd ready to do the Sunday clear up session when I arrived back at Yalding this morning, fantastic stuff.

A cracking weekend, excellent company...yes even you Ted ... and satisfying in many ways.
    A shout out to "Tin Ribs" our youngest Marauder for his sterling work and surviving Oak Weir canoe pass solo

Cheers everyone

Rob & Suzy

Always the sting in the tail Rob ,there was I thinking" Thank God he's gone I thought he'd never leave "
    Seriously folks,it was a lot of fun although certain people are usurping Kay's job of abusing me .Apparently she feels threatened as to her job security .

cheers for the giggles Red Leader and wingman (sorry Wingwoman )