Thread: Digital OS maps

Default Digital OS maps

I've had a quick search but nothing popped up.

Anyone any experience of using OS maps on a phone (particularly iphone) as there appears to be a couple of apps available. Its either this or a waterproof map cover and compass

There seems to be two options, one lets you buy a map of an area for a similar price to a paper map, and the other seems to cost a lot more...

Any thoughts?

Ade

Hi, I use viewranger on my n8, it's also available for Iphone , works prettay well. Often it's easier printing off os maps and using an app that gives position in os grid format. Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by mojo19 View Post
    Hi, I use viewranger on my n8, it's also available for Iphone , works prettay well. Often it's easier printing off os maps and using an app that gives position in os grid format. Mojo
    Cheers

I've taken a punt on UK Maps app see here

If nothing else it will assist with diffusing the domestics that ensue when we ignore the satnav due to traffic (the detour is a disaster) and can't quite get to the road atlas in the rear passenger footwell....

Will see how it goes.

A

Not that familiar with iPhone stuff as I have an Android phone and use a couple of apps for mapping. As I have Memory Map for the PC (and a few OS25 maps), I wanted an app that could utilise these - MMTracker does exactly this as it allows you to access all your QCT maps on your phone and as the maps are 'local' to the device, you can get them even when in a bad signal area.

Google Maps (for Android at least) does allow you to cache maps for offline use but it's a bit of a faff getting the maps downloaded. AndNav (free) uses open source maps that although not quite as detailed as OS ones give a pretty good experience at a very good price (free).

To bring this up to date.

I recently moved over to Android and my map app which I had on the iphone isn't available

I've had a brief wrestle with OruxMaps based on online recommendations for a free/open source mapping app and it would appear to tick the boxes except I can't get it to consistently download stuff with contour lines on. Guided by the app I've found maps here and downloaded mapstyles from the same place to no avail.

More googling produces documents which quickly go into extracts of computer script which rapidly goes beyond my ZX Spectrum BASIC knowledge of programming and inclination to try to work it out. I had a fleeting glimpse of an OS type map of the highlands with contour lines, so its in there somewhere....

Is Orux for hardcore IT bods only, is there a more user friendly but similar app or am I just being a div and need to read up more?

In remote areas I do always take a paper map but it would be great to plan routes on a pc and then stick them on the phone for field use.

TIA

Ade

Aha, think I may have cracked it. I had to go into another layer of menus... will attempt a desktop install soon!

If anyone is interested:

Link

I haven't used Oruxmaps much as I tend to stick with what I know works (memory map). For other maps, I tend to use mapsforge as my source for file downloads but not sure if these have contours included (don't think so) or if they can be layered on afterwards but you could download a 'small' one to check.

I also came across OpenMTBMap which claims to have contours that are easily layered onto the maps (based on OSM) but I haven't actually tried these yet. They want to download as a .EXE file (which I don't like) so you probably need to download, manipulate in 1 application on PC/Mac then transfer to mobile device.

There's also OpenTopoMap which is probably what you need but is web rather than mobile. Useful though

Hopefully, this will give you what you need at OpenAndroMaps - select the map / country you need and it should be recognised by Orux. Claims to have contours built in but when I checked 'Ireland', it didn't (but that might just be that map).
    Death is natures way of telling you to slow down.

Thanks MaxiP. I believe OruxMaps uses mapsforge files from the OpenAndroMaps site, I've managed to get one of the map styles with contours to work just not the 'Elevation' one which is purportedly tailored for outdoor pursuits.

If you have an internet connection on your phone. Bing maps shows ordanance survey at all scales.

Much as I hate to use bing, the OS map site is now based on silverlight and I'm not installing it on my computer on general principles.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."

Thanks SW - I use Bing OS maps online (together with google satellite view its good for finding SE wild camping spots) but I'm often out of signal range with the phone so need something I can download into the phone memory/SD card. The phone GPS was pretty accurate on my old Iphone 4 with UKMaps in remote bits of Scotland and was good to cross check locations on the paper maps.

Viewranger for me - you have to buy maps for the app, but coverage is excellent and the app very easy to use. It also has gps functions so you can track routes and save them, navigate to points of interest etc. Most of the time, my paper maps stay in the rucksack now, there as a back-up should the phone run out of battery

If its any use I use maverick app let's me cache os maps for offline use

Cheers.

I looked at Viewranger but you have to pay for the tiles. In theory OruxMaps has the same route making/tracking/following functionality, I guess we'll see.

Will have a look at Maverick ta.

I've heard elsewhere that an updated BETA version of Bing maps no longer seems to have OS maps on. Hopefully this isn't the case.

Paper Ordnance Survey Explorer maps have now started to come with a digital mobile download. Rolling out starting with National Parks etc; https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/sho...-included.html. So in the future if buying the paper map, you should be able to get a mobile friendly version too.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I have used Memory Map for over 10 years now , first on pocket PC and now on IPad , IPhone, and also an Android tablet. I use the 1:50,000 OS Landranger maps from Memory Map and upgrade every few years. Can't fault it. I have tried to find an alternative that's cheaper but I keep coming across problems or things I don't like.

Hi,
    I use Locus Pro instead of Oruxmaps. Locus is easier to handle, compared to Oruxmaps.
    Locus uses the same Openandromaps as Orux. Openandromaps are the best OSM-based maps I have ever seen.
    So I have OSM-maps plus contour lines.

Additionally I can use offline Google-Sat-Images, and selfmade kmz-files with Points of (my special) interest. Everthing works even in remote Ural-Mountains or deep Tara-Canyons (problem in the really deep Canyons is only the bad GPS-reception).

Examples:

Map1: This shows the Openandromap, and additionally some POIs from a selfmade kmz-file. Red X for "Buk" (=Rapid), Ranger face for a Ranger-Station, blue arrow for a tributary, a.s.o.

Map2: This shows the same part on earth, but with a Google-earth-cut-out

Map3: This shows the full resolution of the Google-earth-cut-out.

So all my offline-needs are satisfied.
    For a detailed explanation see 3 Display the position in satellite images on android phone (Original in German)

PS: is it impossible to link the pictures with [img]-Tags ? It does not work.
    Last edited by Spartaner; 14th-July-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks, I'm going to try that as in my limited tinkering, I'm finding Oruxmaps quite difficult to get my head around for simple stuff like providing OS Coordinates for a given point. Once my micro SD card turns up I'll update.

The OS map app has what appears to be a lukewarm reception compared with others, from my google warrioring Route Buddy seems the favourite pay per map tile app..

Cheers

A

I use Anquet OMN on my iPad and on a PC. But still print and laminate maps to use on the water.
    Street map through a browser still uses OS maps but there is no tracking or plotting function.

www.pkpaddlesport.co.uk
    Coaching, leading and supporting Paddlesport.
    Plastic welding and repairs.

Locus Pro seems to do the job - impressed enough with the free version to shell out a fiver to lose the ads..

Now to delve into the world of route creation!

Thanks for input.

I have used MM now for about 5 years, I have the UK 25k set and just print off the area I need. I now want to put them on a device so have been looking into the options, I have an iphone but due to it not having a SD card slot I have decided to use a Samsung Galaxy G4 inherited from a daughter who is always updating. I have been testing it's GPS with GPSTest, a very useful app. The GPSTest shows you how quick your device takes to lock on and how many satellites it has found, the Samsung uses GPS & Glonass and locks on in about 30s to on average 10 satellites, it also has the advantage of the up to 32gb card slot for the maps. I will set it up this week and give it a test, if all works well the intention is to buy a S/H Galaxy Tab 3 7" just for navigation, this will save the battery on the phone and gives me a bigger screen so the glasses don't need to come out as often. I will report back after the tests.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

I've a Galaxy Tab S and Locus seems to work on that as well, in as much as I can tell from this corner of SE London!

I found Where's The Path 3 which seems to fit the bill for route planning and exporting GPX files to the phone and or printing, although I've not yet worked out how to export the elevation profiles, not sure they're necessary once you are in the field - you can see how steep the terrain is, failing that there is always contour lines!

It provides a split view of OS/OSM map and satellite so you can check documented footpaths against the actual marks on the ground - quite a few discrepancies!

I'm looking at this primarily for walking, but it would work for river routes as well.
    Last edited by Davy 90; 15th-July-2015 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudman View Post
    I have used MM now for about 5 years, I have the UK 25k set and just print off the area I need. I now want to put them on a device so have been looking into the options, I have an iphone but due to it not having a SD card slot I have decided to use a Samsung Galaxy G4 inherited from a daughter who is always updating. I have been testing it's GPS with GPSTest, a very useful app. The GPSTest shows you how quick your device takes to lock on and how many satellites it has found, the Samsung uses GPS & Glonass and locks on in about 30s to on average 10 satellites, it also has the advantage of the up to 32gb card slot for the maps. I will set it up this week and give it a test, if all works well the intention is to buy a S/H Galaxy Tab 3 7" just for navigation, this will save the battery on the phone and gives me a bigger screen so the glasses don't need to come out as often. I will report back after the tests.
    I am now up and running on a Samsung Galaxy4 phone, running "MM Tracker" software, it took a friend with a computer background to set it up but it now works fine. Next job is to put it onto a Galaxy Tab3 7".

https://sites.google.com/site/mmtrackerinfo/
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.