Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hampshire Avon Autumn Paddle

Hi JT

The proposed route maps are linked in the third post down from the top of this thread. There may need to be some revisions, but watch this space.

Regards

John

Default P,f,l,o,p its off

P.f.l.o.p its off !

The proposed paddle down the Hampshire Avon, from Salisbury to Fordingbridge, on the 22nd of October is POSTPONED.

The only reason is that the water level is very low, we have received a report from one of the teams, keeping a eye on the
    river, etc, a local citizen with years of experience of paddling the waterway, who says "the Avon is currently the lowest it
    has been all year, and for the past few years, this doesn't mean you cannot paddle, but you will run aground".

I have seen some photos, and it looks to low fore a pleasure trip, we will wait till there is a faster flow, and deeper water.

This should also put the 'mind' at rest of the Anglers truss gang, We are very aware of possible Environmental harm,
    in sensitive ecosystems, I have yet to meet a canoeist who is not an environmentalist.

If only this was the case with the average fisherman,[you can see where they have been, by the rubbish,bait tins ,drink cans,fag boxes, and discarded tackle]. A.T. Put your own house in order, Please tell/ask all fishing people to take there rubbish home. If we all picked up our own rubbish, and a bit of some one else's, it would be start.

More news to follow.

Thanks for the update, I was looking forward to seeing the sights of the Avon Valley from the water. You are correct about the water levels, we walk along the R.Avon at Amesbury, about 8 miles north of Salisbury, where we used to feed the ducks is now huge exposed gravel banks. A combinatioin of no rain & the greater need of water abstaction from the water companies.
    JT

No problem Hyperion, environmental consideration was always going to be the first factor in dictating the viability of this trip. Sensible decision.

The Avon should be good to go as soon as it gets to a level where we can float over the bed. See if you can sort out some sunshine (after it's rained) for early 2012!

Sorry to see you have had to postpone guys.

Everyone should applaud you for the responsible attitude you have displayed over the ecology of the river.

Terry

I think is the right decision. Environmental considerations are very important. One very strong area of agreement between anglers and canoeists is that we have to protect rivers and waterways.

Well done on making this decision.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

What are you doing! Your actions will now mean that the AT can't paint us as environmentally inconsiderate oafs any more!

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

If there's been no rain or change to levels, it looks like my half-term midweek paddle will have to be postponed too. Let us know when the rains have re-filled the river
    Fran

Dare I suggest that before you plan another trip you contact the LAA and Ringwood DAA and one or two other clubs for their match calendars for the next 18 months or so.
    This might aid an amicable date and also highlight any 'impromptu' matches that might be conveniently be arranged when you announce the date.

Your enquiry could be along the lines of.........:
    I am the match secretary of xxxx Angling Club and would love the option of renting a stretch of your waters for a match for my members. I appreciate that your bookings are planned a long way in advance, as are our match dates, so if you could give me available dates for the rest of the 2011/2012 season and the 2012/2013 season I can raise the matter at the next meeting of our match committee.

This is an interesting question. I am not sure of the answer.

I would be happy to co-operate with fishing clubs to ensure that we can both enjoy the river. This does not necessarily mean not paddling at the same time as a fishing competition. I've padded past fishing competitions on undisputed waters without problem.

I would not consider pretending to be someone I am not. If the clubs don't want share this information, that is up to them.

The recent dramas over the Hampshire Avon Autumn Paddle have taught me that the small minority of Anglers who object to us, have lost the power they might have had to intimidate us, because we can use the power of the Internet to show their behaviour to the world. We have seen this with our friend 'Cam' who has the razor wire. He has stopped his bragging on Anglers Afloat. Similarly the Anglers Trust might be more careful in future about making wild statements about 'mass trespass' and imaginary threats to the well being of voles.

It has also taught me that we should seek to have good relationships with anglers where ever we can.
    Last edited by dougdew99; 17th-October-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Keep the moral high ground folks. The abusive comments and wild statements have been noticed and have been used to show what we have to put up with whilst paddling by a few silly people. There have been quite a few chats with the Police recently, (4 conversations, different areas, all good) explaining the situation and the abuse that can happen so hopefully they will be a bit more knowledgeable now all thanks to the statements form some organisations who did not show themselves in a good light at all.

A wise decision considering the water level.

Can I draw your attention to this post??

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-the-River-Ure
    Keltoi and associates - The sick and the wrong!

Now that the paddle has been put on hold, I might have to take a walk along the public footpaths on the same day with the family

Quote Originally Posted by Quicky View Post
    Now that the paddle has been put on hold, I might have to take a walk along the public footpaths on the same day with the family
    Do make sure to keep a good lookout for the angling match - we wouldn't want to find that had also been postponed.

Yes, sensible decision. Look forward to paddling it at a later date.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    If they are so endangered, why are people allowed to fish for them?

Just curious.
    Adrian,

It's one of the ironies of life: you have to be engaged with nature in order to understand it, that's why anglers - alone- have alerted the world to the deterioration of our marine and aquatic habitats. Passive observation doesn't help.

17. Default

Here Here (re. rubbish).

Mike Heaton
    Angler

Michael

I am still curious as to why you describe these fish as 'endangered' since they do not appear on the list of UK endangered species, which is:

Doug Dew

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    Michael

I am still curious as to why you describe these fish as 'endangered' since they do not appear on the list of UK endangered species, which is:
    Doug,

I'm using 'endangered' in the generic sense, not the statutory. If population declines continue, Salmo Trutta and Salmo Salar will be on the official lists before I retire. We can't wait for government institutions to recognise a problem, can we !. The Salmon population of the Avon system, in particular, is pitifully small compared to what it was pre-1978 (when cypermethrin pesticides were introduced). Check out the Wild Trout Trust and the Atlantic Salmon Trust.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heaton View Post
    It's one of the ironies of life: you have to be engaged with nature in order to understand it, that's why anglers - alone- have alerted the world to the deterioration of our marine and aquatic habitats. Passive observation doesn't help.
    This still doesn't get over the contradiction. Having 'engaged with nature' and 'alerted the world to the deterioration', why are you still allowed to catch them? If passive observation doesn't help then catching them must help even less.

Adrian,

I guess anglers wouldn't have noticed either except for their desire to hook fish out of the water for no more useful purpose than to put them back so they can do it all over again.

I guess that's one of life's ironies too. Not forgetting of course the financial losses of riparian owners and fishing rights holders.

Self interest is a powerfull motivator.

Canoeists have long been prevented from "engaging with nature" on rivers and I have no doubt if they had wider access in the past they would have noticed problems of pollution etc on rivers and been part of a campaign with the anglers to clean them up.

I think if game anglers use catch and release methods, it would be a first step.
    I just dont get it either, you cant say they are endangered and still fish for them.
    Its just one big farse. Game anglers just want to declare salmon as endangered so that it keeps everyone else off the water.
    Then they can bag up with a nice salmon for the table.
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

23. Default

This still doesn't get over the contradiction. Having 'engaged with nature' and 'alerted the world to the deterioration', why are you still allowed to catch them? If passive observation doesn't help then catching them must help even less.

You're not a vegetarian are you, Adrian ?

Mike

I'm an environmentalist (whatever that means)

Never mind...

26. Default

I'm an environmentalist (whatever that means)
    (indeed !)

So this is where is thread is leading ?
    note, some vegertarians eat fish.

Mike, the topic is about rivers, canoeing and Angling
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

The way I see it, is that Anglers want to fish for the trout and the salmon; perfectly ok with me. The rivers are deteriorating because man poisons them. The anglers spend time and money making the habitat suitable for healthy fish, so that they can carry on catching them. They are motivated primarily by their desire to catch fish. If they were not allowed to catch these 'endangered' fish they would stop spending their time and money improving the habitat. The benefit to the rest of us is that the river is made healthier as a by product of anglers desire to catch fish.

I don't blame anglers for this at all, but I am not sure if they are entitled to portray themselves simply as unselfish environmentalists and demanding we pay to support their fishing habit. The Government already spends millions on their hobby without us chipping in more. The Minister himself directly benefits from Anglers and has a huge conflict of interest.
    Last edited by dougdew99; 19th-October-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Doug Dew

While you're here Doug did you ring the number I found for you for the London club ?

Marcus
    No... given we have postponed the trip, there was little point in phoning them.
    Doug Dew

But I posted the number up 2 days before it was postponed

We can't wait for government institutions to recognise a problem, can we !
    Keep going Mike. You keep finding more and more to add to the list of things we have in common. In 1973 the Select Committee of the House of Lords on Sport and Leisure stated that The legal question of rights of way over water must be settled. A number of different legal interpretations of this right of way have been referred to in evidence and it is time for these to be resolved. We've been waiting ever since. And in all that time I've never seen anyone offer any evidence that there is not a right of navigation on the river Avon by virtue of the 1664 Navigation Act.

Canoeists and anglers have a right of responsible access to the River Avon (which you have not disputed). The EA have said that canoes do not harm fish stocks (which you seem not to dispute - it's all about cypermethrin pesticides being introduced). With just a little bit of goodwill on all sides the two activities do not spoil each others enjoyment - if they did anglers would find it impossible to enjoy their pastime on canals and rivers used by large powered boats. Most canoeists and anglers have a shared love of nature but canoeist can not be accused of being motivated by what we take out of it - we take nothing! You don't have to look far to find evidence of canoeists and anglers being involved in clean up events and you'd find many more if canoeists didn't have to spend so much time defending themselves from needless harassment from those that don't want to share this love of nature and hide behind spurious claims of superior rights, superior knowledge, superior taste in colours (garish craft), superior financial contributions and so on.

You'd enjoy life much more (and so would we) if you stopped looking for reasons not to share nicely and started looking for opportunities to work together.

One day, before you retire, you will look back at all the nonsense that has been spouted trying to keep exclusivity on our rivers and wonder "What on earth were we thinking of?"
    Keith

Default P,f,l,o,p

Here Here (re. rubbish).

Mike Heaton
    Angler
    Michael, correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember reading a few years ago, that there was a problem with the Trout farms down the Avon valley discharging raw sewage, mixed with a cocktail of chemical needed to combat the pests and diseases associated with intensive fish farming, directly into the river.

The answer was to clean/treat the water before it was retuned to the river,so that excessive weed growth was avoided with a
    reduced nitrogen level,and the invertebrates that feed the wild fish were given a chance with the removal of insecticides.

In short, agricultural practices have far and away more effect on a water course, than us paddlers,, even if we are mob handed. Discuss.

The EA have reported many times that canoeists have no detrimental effect on the environment or spawning, if water levels are sufficient. There is absolutely no environmental risk from us, if we behave responsibly. Canoeists and Anglers share rivers everywhere in the world without problems.
    Last edited by dougdew99; 20th-October-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Doug Dew

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
    I just dont get it either, you cant say they are endangered and still fish for them.
    Why not? Of course they can have their cake and eat it. After all, you can tell canoeists that they're not allowed to paddle (even on a tidal section)...

...and then use your own boats on the same stretch of water:

Bridge Pool (Map here) - "Fishing is from the moored punt (which may be positioned anywhere in the main pool) or by wading."

Garden Pool and Waterloo Pool - "Club boat available on Wednesdays - Waterloo Pool, Thursdays - Garden Pool... Arrange collection of both Boat Compound and Boat keys, plus electric motor and battery from Royalty Boathouse"

Very interesting but totally inconsistent - on the Bridge Pool under General Notes it says
    Being tidal, other boats may legally navigate through the pool. Allow them to pass peacefully and they should not affect your sport.
    I know that fishing can be a solitary sport but don't they ever talk to each other!! (- the man who puts the signs up or their friends in the Angling Trust)
    Keith

From what I can tell he Royalty Fishery was acquired by the West Hampshire Water Authority in 1929 for 16.000 and still own it.
    I am suprised that they have let that sign go up.
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

i think we can set ourselves the modest objective that 2012 is the year in which the Hampshire Avon is canoed regularly by canoeists in a responsible manner, and in demonstration that our English rivers can be shared by all who love them.
    Doug Dew

I think that sounds like a good idea. Could somebody point me to a section of the river:
    a) that is about 1 hour long with good changes of scenery;
    b) would be suitable for novices like us (wife and 2 small children) avoiding steep weirs and difficult portages
    c) that has easy entry and exit points
    d) that would cause minimum disruption to anglers and avoid competitions.

We're up for a group paddle in the spring/summer.

We've canoed the Christchurch loop area and seen the fishing punt in action. We've always found the occupants to be very polite and friendly. One even let my son have a go. The children are well trained in not splashing the water and keeping quiet when in proximity to anglers. I think that with a bit of care both sides can enjoy the river peacefully.

Maybe the BCU can declare the Hampshire Avon as an area of Special Access Interest, or "SAI"...
    Doug Dew

From what I can tell he Royalty Fishery was acquired by the West Hampshire Water Authority in 1929 for 16.000 and still own it.
    From the River Avon blog: "Southern Fisheries Ltd, a commercial organisation based in Tunbridge Wells* has long leasehold interest on the entire Royalty Fisheries at Christchurch".

*but surprise, surprise, one of the directors lives in the Ringwood/Bournemouth area.

Maybe the BCU can declare the Hampshire Avon as an area of Special Access Interest, or "SAI"...
    You want this named after an Okinawan fishing instrument which can be used as a weapon?

Default P,F,L,O,P, the Banner flys

My fellow Canadians,

Something I was surprised and pleased to hear in relation to the Hampshire Avon paddle was that I was told, on Very good authority that a High Ranking Police officer, phoned the local BCU person, and said ,'they had be asked to arrest paddlers on the 22nd'.

Police person said No. Not his/her brief. But, Warned the BCU person of the danger to our cars. He was aware
    of this, as an issue.

Last year I saw a post from North Wales, suggesting putting out an old car, with a roof rack, and a few canoeing stickers, in
    the places that cars are attacked. Say like a lay by, next to a river.prior to this, put out the two+ CTV cameras,then just wait.

The people who smash up cars will be known to the police, they are the Dog Fighting, Badger Baiting types, petty crooks. The local police will be only to happy to act on our behalf, SO GO TO IT !!!!

'they had be asked to arrest paddlers on the 22nd'.
    Ha! So now they presume to tell the Police how to do their job!?

How about arresting the anglers who rang the Police to ask that for wasting Police time?!

Can you imagine telling someone from another country that Police here had been asked to arrest people for paddling along a river in a canoe?!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    'they had be asked to arrest paddlers on the 22nd'
    Not at all surprised by that given comments on another forum. I have a feeling that having failed with fraud they're now going for aggravated trespass - their trouble being that even if the trespass bit stood up, their failure to supply any details about the supposed "fishing match" pretty much shoots that one down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Michael, correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember reading a few years ago, that there was a problem with the Trout farms down the Avon valley discharging raw sewage, mixed with a cocktail of chemical needed to combat the pests and diseases associated with intensive fish farming, directly into the river.

The answer was to clean/treat the water before it was retuned to the river,so that excessive weed growth was avoided with a
    reduced nitrogen level,and the invertebrates that feed the wild fish were given a chance with the removal of insecticides.

In short, agricultural practices have far and away more effect on a water course, than us paddlers,, even if we are mob handed. Discuss.
    Report on study about fish farm effluent here. Click on document link at top to get.doc version with graphics. Studies appear to be ongoing.

Following the claims that canoes scraping over gravels on the Hampshire Avon would harm fish spawn, I thought Id take a look at the species that use the river bed for nesting. Before some troll jumps up to start throwing in variables such as water temperature affecting spawning dates, this is not intended to be a definitive bit of research, just a quick internet search for basic info. Happy to be corrected on the details.

It would seem that it was probably the right decision to postpone until the water levels are higher and we can float over the bed without significant contact, and risk of prosecution under SAFFA.

Spawning of species that nest in gravel:

1 Source: http://www.fishing.co.uk/species_display.php3?id=1
    2 Source: http://www.fishing.co.uk/species_display.php3?id=19
    3 Source: http://www.fishing.co.uk/species_display.php3?id=10 N.B. The EA have stated that Salmon spawning on the Avon is only during December and January.
    4 Source: http://www.fishing.co.uk/species_display.php3?id=49
    5 Source: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/life/project/Projects/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showFile&rep=file&fil=SM URF_bullhead.pdf

Of course the regulations protecting these species also apply to other river users, as all impacting contact with the bed should be avoided in such areas at such times as might cause harm. Perhaps the EA could produce notices of locations of spawning sites as EAW did for the River Conwy (albeit less obviously flawed), so that everyone would know where to avoid, and no one can be accused of causing environmental damage unless deliberately contravening the advice.

With regard to avoiding conflict with anglers, on certain rivers, such as the Hampshire Avon, there is no period of the year when fishing in one form or another cannot take place (seasons may vary on other rivers):

As fisheries have failed to prove that the 1664 Statutory Right of Navigation is not extant, the only issue on the Avon is therefore, IMO, responsible use at appropriate water levels.

Quote Originally Posted by John Saunders View Post
    As fisheries have failed to prove that the 1664 Statutory Right of Navigation is not extant, the only issue on the Avon is therefore, IMO, responsible use at appropriate water levels.
    Avoiding angling matches doesn't seem unreasonable - it goes a bit beyond what is required, but given the handful of dates it doesn't seem unreasonable for the sake of goodwill. Of course that relies on angling clubs publicising such matches properly rather than having an "angling match" the only evidence of which is in an antagonistic press release.

Quote Originally Posted by aracer View Post
    Avoiding angling matches doesn't seem unreasonable.
    You can't say what is reasonable until there is a complete package to assess. Don't concede any individual elements prematurely until/unless you see an overall reasonable proposal on the table! Otherwise our reasonable claims to responsible access can be cheese pared into meaninglessness before you know it.

In 1982 a Statement of Intent was jointly issued by the National Federation of Anglers, The Water Space Amenity Commission and the BCU. This stated that the broad aim should be :-
    a) to work actively towards and ultimately achieve a situation where canoeists can paddle all waters suitable for canoeing without challenge, but with reasonable consideration for other water users, and with due regard for the law and conservation of the environment.
    It was reasonable to assume that the national Federation of Anglers were sincere in their intent and that within a reasonable period a reasonable agreement would be arrived at to deliver this reasonable intent. After nearly 30 years it's reasonable to conclude that there was no such intention from the leaders of the angling community.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    You can't say what is reasonable until there is a complete package to assess.
    But in the context of the Avon there is a complete package - there is a statutory right of access, so any concessions the paddlers make for the sake of goodwill are purely voluntary, and not in any way binding. I thought that was clear from what I quoted? Of course I'm of the opinion that we have a right of access on all navigable waters, so that's also the case with all other rivers - there is no question of losing any rights in that case, just of being non-confrontational.

Or do you not think we should be trying to keep relations with anglers on a friendly basis by conceding stuff we don't have to (which won't have a huge impact on our access to rivers, and none at all on our rights)? After all, I still get the impression that the majority of anglers aren't actually as anti-access as the noisy ones make out. Moral high ground and all that. I'm all for claiming our rights, but that doesn't preclude being considerate to others.

So if there is an angling match on a canal, all narrowboats should line up and wait till its ended before passing, doesnt happen because its just taken as part of the course, and eventually the same will happen when a canoe passes by an angling match on a river.
    some anglers will claim that it ruins the swim and spoils the days fishing, it doesnt, they just dont want you there.
    Just pass each angler quietly in turn. you can steer around each float if your conciderate enough, but its upto the angler to pull the obstruction (line) from the water for how many seconds it takes for you to pass.
    If i see a canoeist approaching I reel in as they near and just recast, its so easy. doesnt spoil my day.
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

There is a pretty good guide to what is reasonable here

Canoeing
    Make sure that the river, loch or reservoir is appropriate for your activity and the numbers involved, take care not to interfere unreasonably with other interests and avoid going close to water intakes,abstraction points or spillways. On some water bodies that are intensively used for a wide range of activities, various management measures, such as zoning and byelaws, may be needed for safety or water quality reasons and to protect the environment. Follow any agreed guidance provided.Respect the needs of anglers by avoiding nets or other fishing tackle. When close to anglers keep noise and other disturbance to a minimum. On lochs,keep a safe distance from anglers. On rivers or other confined waters, await a signal from the angler or ghillie to proceed if they have a line in the water and follow any suggested route they indicate if safe and practicable to do so. Take extra care when entering and leaving water to avoid damaging the banks or disturbing wildlife, and use a public slipway if one is close by. Do not pollute the water.

If you wish to canoe or sail on a loch or reservoir used intensively by a commercial fishery, be aware that this can be very disruptive, may raise safety issues because of the high number of anglers in a relatively small area and may impact on the operation of these businesses. Always talk to the land manager before going onto such water. Where appropriate, work with your local authority and/or recreation groups to identify suitable parking and launching sites. Where intensive recreational use causes safety, operational or environmental concerns you could work with your local authority and/or recreation groups to determine what management measures might be needed. Wherever possible, if a club or group of users wishes to have a motorised rescue boat present for safety reasons get permission for this.

Fishing
    Anglers need to be careful when casting lines so be aware of where people are on the water and on the land. If a canoeist or other person on the water is close by, wait until they have passed by before casting. If you have a line in the water, allow people on the water to pass at the earliest opportunity. Indicating where you would prefer canoeists or rafters to pass by can help but be aware that it might not always be possible for them to follow the route you suggest.
    Last edited by dougdew99; 23rd-October-2011 at 04:25 AM.
    Doug Dew

Default P,f,l,o,p

[QUOTE=aracer;364398]Avoiding angling matches doesn't seem unreasonable -

On the Hampshire Avon, as with many other water ways, fishing clubs hold a patch work of waters.

Some clubs are local, others from further a field. After some detailed detection work, it transpired that,[as far as we know] the club in charge of the 'alleged ' 22nd fishing match were from London. If they want to be taken into consideration, then it would help if the angling interests were not be so byzantine in their actions, anyone would think they do not want us paddlers exercising our historic rights ?

Call me selfish, but a river bank lined with blokes, dragging out as many fish as possible, then keeping them in keepnets,
    so that after a few hours, they can be weighed, to ascertain who the champ is, has never been of more than passing interest
    to me. The people who say this activity should take precedence remind me of the times{now mostly in the past],
    of being in a pub with friends, when a shout of GAME ON !, rang out across the bar,followed by a glare. mostly it would not
    even be a darts match,just a game.

My view is that now is not the time to offer/make any concessions, we can all get along, if we are polite, and take our rubbish home.

So basically what we are being told by the Scottish Code is rubbish if anyone comes across a angling match, it just wouldnt work.

Wait and be told were to pass and when to pass, that ok if there is one angler.
    Bearing in mind that usually in a match a line of swims that is being fished are right next to each other and the float (if float fishing) will not be static.
    If there is more then you have to sit and wait in the fisrt anglers swim and wait for the second angler to give you the nod to pass and were. That will please the fist angler.
    But never mind the second angler will be equally upset when your sat in his swim waiting to go into the third anglers swim. could take a while to get directions and get through a line of swims, you could be zig zagging from near bank to far bank, Oh and dont forget to avoid the middle run.
    Yes I agree its easy to pass the solo angler but passing a line of them could be a little awkward for all.
    I still think its easier for the angler(s) to reel in, in turn and let a canoe{s) pass smoothly and quickly so that the angler(s) can then recast and get on with his fishing.
    I am not being selfish, I just think its easier and less hassle for all in this situation and saves shouting from bank to canoe and vice versa.

A simular thing allready happens in match fishing and pleasure fishing. If an angler hooks into a large fish and that fish runs in direction of the swim next door, that angler will reel in to keep there lines from tangling. then when the fish is under control or landed, the angler just recasts.

It shouldnt be who has priority, It should be, lets all have an easy life and all get on with enjoying the sport / leisure we have chosen. The simpler the better.
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

Ownership is now with Sembcorp Bournemouth Water Ltd, with ultimate share ownership being held by Sembcorp Utilities (itself a wholly owned subsidiary of Sembcorp Industries, a Singapore based utilities company), since July 2010. One of the reasons for the new company name, adopted 21 Jan. 2011, was to "allow Sembcorp to raise its profile in the UK". If you feel like letting HQ know what a good job they're doing, especially with regard to "community investment" contact Group Corporate Relations at gcr@sembcorp.com.

Default P,f,l,o,p

Quote Originally Posted by John Saunders View Post
    Following the claims that canoes scraping over gravels on the Hampshire Avon would harm fish spawn, I thought I’d take a look at the species that use the river bed for nesting. Before some troll jumps up to start throwing in variables such as water temperature affecting spawning dates, this is not intended to be a definitive bit of research, just a quick internet search for basic info. Happy to be corrected on the details.

Well done John, this inclusive and extensive piece of research,[I love the fact that you included Bullheads], throws up two interesting facts.
    The first is that there is no time in the year when spawning/nesting is not happening, no problem for canoeist,if we float over the gravel.

The second is that stamping about in a river, in a pair of size 11 waders must cause some harm ?

Last edited by KeithD; 24th-October-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: fix quotes

Found this on the BCU web site... it interesting to find our activities being publicized by the BCU...
    Doug Dew

Found this on the BCU web site... it interesting to find our activities being publicized by the BCU...
    As well as the CE website, it was also on the main BCU website and the RAC website.

Canoe England cannot grant or deny permission to use any waters and the choice to whether to canoe is the responsibility of the individual.
    I know it often seems like I am always criticising BCU/CE but why can't these announcements be a bit more positive. Am I the only one for whom this reads like 'It's nothing to do with us guv'?

What I would like to see is:

We have had the benefit of some expert research into river access.
    We believe that what it says is a reasonable and reasoned state of the law and can find nothing to contradict it.
    No-one has contradicted it so far.
    We would encourage our members to accept this as the state of the law until a reasoned legal challenge is provided.
    In the mean time, the BCU will support its members acting on this basis, as you would expect from any 'union'.

Adrian
    I absolutely agree with you.

BCU members must use their power by attending the AGM (or calling an EGM), and use their voting rights to make a change. We need to investigate what rights we have. We need a plan to give the BCU a complete shakeup. So far we have meekly accepted a powerless position and expressed our frustration here and on UK Rivers Guide. We need to be pro-active and decide not to tolerate this any longer.
    Doug Dew

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast