Thread: Sailing my Hobie Sport for the first time - YouTube Report

Default Sailing my Hobie Sport for the first time - YouTube Report

....well trying to sail it but little wind didn't make for a lot of action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBAsqseqKmw

Will look to post another report in windier conditions.

Frank

That does look like a fine sailing craft

Bring on the f4+!!

Looks great Frank. It's probably best to start in light winds while you learn how everything works and I look forwards to seeing a trial in windier conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    Looks great Frank. It's probably best to start in light winds while you learn how everything works and I look forwards to seeing a trial in windier conditions.
    Thanks Jurassic,

How did you get the reverse bow shot on your Loch Etive video?

Cheers,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by franktompson View Post
    Thanks Jurassic,

How did you get the reverse bow shot on your Loch Etive video?

Cheers,

Frank
    Hi Frank, I have a GoPro Hero camera with a fish eye lens that I have a couple of good mounting systems for. One is an industrial strength suction cup mount (supposedly safe to use stuck on a light aircraft fuselage!) and the other is a clamp that I made myself. The Loch Etive footage was all shot with the home-made clamp clamped onto the end cap on the bow of my canoe.

Frank, I'm interested in the Hobie inflatable outriggers. How do you find them? For example, if you want to come alongside a bank, is it easy to dismount the ama on one side?

Do you inflate them by mouth or pump? Does it take long?

Since I probably wouldn't be using a mast, I thought for my purposes the outriggers would be better mounted behind the seat. But the point you made on your "river test" video, that they can get in the way of the paddle, needs some thinking about.

My long-term ambition is to use a Hobie with the SideKick kit for sea paddling (pedalling...). I thought about setting the outriggers in the "up" position, so they wouldn't touch the water for normal paddling (no drag), but if the boat tipped unexpectedly, they'd be there for secondary stability. Since you've actually used them, do you have any opinion about this?

Any comments will be read with interest! Thanks,

Mary

Hi Frank, I have a GoPro Hero camera with a fish eye lens that I have a couple of good mounting systems for. One is an industrial strength suction cup mount (supposedly safe to use stuck on a light aircraft fuselage!) and the other is a clamp that I made myself. The Loch Etive footage was all shot with the home-made clamp clamped onto the end cap on the bow of my canoe.
    Hi Jurassic,

That's torn it. I must get one of those now! A hand-held smartphone is all very well but with one hand doing the holding it's easy to lose control in tricky conditions. (Sorry, I'm telling you what you already know!)

Cheers,

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by maryinoxford View Post
    Frank, I'm interested in the Hobie inflatable outriggers, etc........
    Hi Mary,

I find the outriggers work well; but I have yet to properly test them in a decent wind. However, if you are going to use them without a sail you should have no problem in the sea so long as conditions are reasonable and not too rough. One thing I found on my only sea escapade (no sail) is that when you are pedaling 'across' the shore, ie parallel to the land, the wave action tends to push you over. With the outriggers in place that would largely obviate that problem. (If you look under franktompson on YouTube (I have 2 user names - long story) you will see that video listed in case you're interested - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knDv1m8CBpc). That was before I fitted the outriggers.

It's not difficult to remove the outriggers as you come alongside something, it's just fiddly (a word I use a lot!). Just press the button, twist and pull. Like everything a bit of practice helps.

They are very easy to inflate - and deflate. There are 2 valves, one on top of the other. To inflate undo the top one and 4 decent breaths will do it. A on-way-valve stops the air coming back out. To deflate undo the bottom valve. No pump required.

While most of the things that Hobie do is very well thought through and aimed to keep life easy, fitting the outriggers isn't one of them.

The reason I fitted the outriggers where I did was twofold:

1. On the Hobie Sport that I have if you try to fit them aft of the seat, the fittings that hold them to the hull end up being in exactly the same spot as the buttons on the arms to adjust the position (high, mid, low). It's called sod's law! However, on a different model that may not be an issue. You could still position the fittings there, it would just mean the button would have to go to one side, ie slightly asymetric by a few inches - not the end of the world.
    2. The securing bolts supplied are referred to 'well-nuts' and expand into their rubber sleeve as you screw them into the hull - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StE_uAWuMbA is very helpful. However, there are reports - I don't know how true - that in stress conditions they part company with the hull. More info in Hobie forums. As I say I don't know how true that is and I don't want to scaremonger; just what I've read. Positioning the crossbar (mainbar) where I did, you get easier (but still a bit fiddly) access to the underneath of the rails via the forward hatch. That means you can screw through the rail and secure the fitting with 2 bolts that then go into nuts (+ washers). More secure in my (and others) view.

I think probably fitting behind the seat would be slightly better from a paddling pov as the outriggers wouldn't get in the way so much. Where mine are fitted is OK for paddling, though not perfect as I have to use the paddle at a slightly steeper angle.

Position (high, low, mid) is trial and error but I think think they have been well thought through to fit a variety of conditions. Shouldn't be an issue.

Using on the sea is a lot of fun, and in my view you have the right idea fitting the outriggers, as the sea is obviously more unstable that inland water. Hobie stuff is expensive but imho generally* well made, easy to use and low maintenance. *My rudder experience is the exception to the rule and was tricky to fix.

Hope this helps

PS - Let me know if you're in the Bath area anytime and I'll happily show you what I've done etc.

Frank

Hi Jurassic,

That's torn it. I must get one of those now! A hand-held smartphone is all very well but with one hand doing the holding it's easy to lose control in tricky conditions. (Sorry, I'm telling you what you already know!)

Cheers,

Frank
    Hi Frank, I've been looking for a picture of my homemade clamp to post here (but I can't find the picture, I'll keep looking and post it when I find it). Re the GoPro, I do have some reservations about them. They are excellent for close ups (due to the fisheye lens) but it's a fixed focal length so they are pretty useless for capturing anything a bit further away. On a positive note they're very waterproof and tough (I've clamped mine to the mast head of my windsurfer and used it while wavesailing where it's survived some huge crashes). I'm hoping to get one of these shortly to use alongside the GoPro. I'm hoping it'll be a bit more versatile and it's certainly a lot cheaper (but still reasonably waterproof).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004MMF7Q...301_pe_vfe_lm1

Default Trying to sail the Hobie Sport in high winds

Not much of a video I'm afraid as this time it was too windy! But here it is for what it's worth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xrTgSwZtks

Frank

Frank, thanks for the info on the SideKick outriggers - I'll digest your comments and the videos in more detail when I get home this evening. The Hobie I would like is the Adventure, because it's the nearest to a conventional sea kayak in the range. (If I can cope with the weight.) That's slightly narrower, and a lot longer, than your boat, so there may be more options about where to fix the outriggers.

I like paddling on the sea (don't get many chances) because the sea is more "alive" and interesting than inland waters. (Well, big lakes are too, but not many of them around Oxford...) I like "interesting," but I try to avoid "frightening." However, if going on open water, it's best to be prepared for the unexpected. If I ever find myself having to climb back aboard the boat, having the outriggers in place strikes me as better than having to fiddle with paddle floats while swimming.

Mary

I'm hoping to get one of these shortly to use alongside the GoPro. I'm hoping it'll be a bit more versatile and it's certainly a lot cheaper (but still reasonably waterproof).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004MMF7Q...301_pe_vfe_lm1
    Hi J,

I see what you mean. The ZX5 does look good. However, any thoughts about how you would secure it to the hull? (Would you look to secure it to the hull?) Another home-made jobbie? I note it has a screw-in connector at the bottom. Could one fashion a bolt through the hull to screw it onto perhaps? (Lack of adjustment I suppose.) Maybe would stand too proud and be liable to get whacked? Sticky Velcro perhaps?

Cheers,

F

Hi J,

I see what you mean. The ZX5 does look good. However, any thoughts about how you would secure it to the hull? (Would you look to secure it to the hull?) Another home-made jobbie? I note it has a screw-in connector at the bottom. Could one fashion a bolt through the hull to screw it onto perhaps? (Lack of adjustment I suppose.) Maybe would stand too proud and be liable to get whacked? Sticky Velcro perhaps?

Cheers,

F
    Hehe, I don't want to take it for granted but I'm hoping that my nice wife is going to buy me a ZX5 for an anniversary present at the end of the month (of course I'll reciprocate and get her something nice as well). With that in mind I've been doing my homework on the ZX5 and as you say it has a standard tripod mount screwthread on the bottom. I've managed to track down some handy looking mounts (suction cup and a sort of flexible arm affair) for not much money from Maplins. My main concern about them is that they may corrode with prolonged exposure to water (especially salt water).
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-camera-suction-mount-45383
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/flexible-photography-clamp-45387
    I may also attempt to modify the GoPro clamps (they have a bracket that is peculiar to GoPro cameras) so that they will also accept the tripod mount of the ZX5.
    As far as the camera itself goes, I've looked at a lot of clips on Youtube filmed on the ZX5 (and it's predecessor the ZX3) and think that the image quality is very good for something so small and so (relatively) cheap. A few of the professional reviews I've read have criticised some aspects of it's performance but these reviews are comparing the ZX5 with much larger and more expensive cameras which isn't a fair comparison in my opinion. For action sports footage I think the small size and convenience of the ZX5 makes it close to perfect. Incidentally a remote control is available for it as well (for about 5) which would allow you to start and stop recording if you mount the camera out of reach on your canoe (although the remote itself isn't waterproof so would need to be put is a small dry bag or something similar).
    I bet you wish you'd never asked me now!

Incidentally a remote control is available for it as well (for about 5) which would allow you to start and stop recording if you mount the camera out of reach on your canoe (although the remote itself isn't waterproof so would need to be put is a small dry bag or something similar).
    I bet you wish you'd never asked me now!
    Hi J,

Yes, you're right! But seriously folks it's much better to compare notes on these things. It's very easy to rush off and buy the wrong thing. Having had a tootle round the interweb the ZX5 certainly seems the pick of the bunch when taking all factors into account. My only real reservation is the non-replacable battery.

I agree about the remote control. Usually a complete waste of time for many devices it could be a really practical aid for the camera when you're on the water.

Connection-wise, I don't care good they are advertised to be, personally I wouldn't use of suction mount somewhere where it might fall in the ogin, but that's just me. I would likely try the Hama bike-mount as I could also use it for my bike - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-0000437...3159209&sr=1-7 - although one person says it won't stay in place! At diameters up to 3cm it should just about fit the cross-bar for the canoe outriggers, so fulfill 2 functions - maybe/hopefully - if I were to buy a ZX5 .........

Cheers,

F

Hi Frank, well I was fortunate enough to get the ZX5 and yesterday I had a go at using it on the canoe for the first time. It's early days yet but I think it's going to be quite good. The digital zoom shows it's limitations a bit but it's better than digital zooms of old I think. I used the editing software that comes with the camera to edit and it's very quick and easy to use (I'll try my other software next time to compare it). This footage was all filmed at 720p (60fps) not the full HD 1080p.

Default Hobie Sport sail at Oxwich Bay and Poole Harbour

Thanks to the good weather had a day out at Oxwich Bay on the Gower Peninsula last week. First time for me with the sail up in anything like 'proper' conditions and have to say it was great! It started with light wind and waves and gradually ramped up as I moved across the bay, so was perfect for getting sorted out and seeing what works - and what doesn't work! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpbhtwjW6-8

Yesterday went to Poole, and apart from the shallowness of Whitley Bay whereby you have to go out a long way to make sure your rudder doesn't get stuck, another good sail. Really quite windy and a few times wondered if the outriggers would do the job, but I lived to tell the tale! No video as I don't yet have a fixed mount and it was too windy to do any hand-held shots.

Judging by the change in the weather may be the last sailing outing this year, but has made me more confident about things and looking forward to next summer. Still a number of things to sort out and learn but I feel the basics are in place.

Cheers,

Frank

[QUOTE....... well I was fortunate enough to get the ZX5 and yesterday I had a go at using it on the canoe for the first time. It's early days yet but I think it's going to be quite good. The digital zoom shows it's limitations a bit but it's better than digital zooms of old I think............[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris,

Camera looking good. Zoom seems to work well from what I can see.

Have you found a permanent mounting for it yet or aren't you going to bother? I could do with one after yesterday's sail at Poole which was just too windy to do anything hand-held without risk of going for an unscheduled swim.

My video at Oxwich Bay was a combination of ordinary Canon compact camera and minicam http://www.ebuyer.com/183959-foehn-h...0x480-dv-eg002. Neither is waterproof so thank goodness for waterproof bags! I thought minicam attached to headband would provide a nice continuous piece of video, but of course you are always moving your head about and much of the time not looking dead ahead - so another good idea bites the dust!

Might well follow you down the ZX5 route but as it's now nearing season end (for me at least) will probably wait until next Spring. Still not quite sure how I would secure it on the hull.

Right, off to wash off the salt water from the Hobie. With luck I can just leave it on top of the car and let the rain do the work!

Cheers,

Frank

[QUOTE....... well I was fortunate enough to get the ZX5 and yesterday I had a go at using it on the canoe for the first time. It's early days yet but I think it's going to be quite good. The digital zoom shows it's limitations a bit but it's better than digital zooms of old I think............
    Hi Chris,

Camera looking good. Zoom seems to work well from what I can see.

Have you found a permanent mounting for it yet or aren't you going to bother? I could do with one after yesterday's sail at Poole which was just too windy to do anything hand-held without risk of going for an unscheduled swim.

Cheers,

Frank[/QUOTE]
    I bought a cheapo suction cup mount off ebay for a fiver Frank. I wasn't sure what it'd be like but at the price I thought it was worth a punt. It looks identical to this one from Hong Kong but the seller I used is no longer listing it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Window...47738291389089
    Anyway when it came it was okay for the price and I was able to pick up a microwave oven with it when I attached it to see how strong the suction cup was! Subsequently I noticed that the suction cup from my GoPro camera mount looked very similar and it turns out the two are interchangeable so I've just dismounted the the bracket from the cheap mount and used that on the GoPro suction cup. The advantage of this is that I only need to carry one mount for both cameras (as I can change the fittings over to suit either) and I know that the GoPro suction cup is very secure (I've used it stuck on a surfboard and a snowboard in the past without problems and the manufacturers claim to have used one on the outside of a light aircraft in flight!). The proviso for this is that it needs to be mounted on a smooth, non-porous, relatively flat surface to work properly.
    Regarding the zoom on the ZX5, I wasn't expecting much from a digital zoom on such a tiny lens (my past experiences with digital zooms have been disappointing). The one on the ZX5 is okay up to about half zoom but then becomes a bit pixely and grainy on greater magnification in my opinion. The picture quality on half zoom or less is stunning though for such a small, cheap camera.
    Cheers, Chris.

Clearly the business Chris,

Will bear in mind.

How, even in China, do they do it for that price!?

Frank

How, even in China, do they do it for that price!?

Frank
    It's hard to figure out isn't it? It's not the greatest quality/finish but it's certainly not total rubbish.

Default The Footage

is excellent with great rendition of colour,s particularly in the B of B sky which often burns out on some devices, that would be hard to improve on..... without throwing serious money at itwillie
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

As you may remember, earlier this year I went for a swim and in doing so, I wrecked my phone, diabetic glucose monitor and my Flip video!

The first two items I have managed to replace, more out of necessity than anything else, but the camera just had to wait until funds allowed.

I hope you are still happy with your ZX5 Chris because earlier today I ordered one myself! I figured that if some of my filming will be around water, it had better be waterproof and replacing the flip video with another flip video, just doesn't make any sense.

There are a few youtube clips which did a lot to help me decide, shown below.

Hope I'm happy with it.

Hi Chris, the ZX5 is pretty good for the relatively modest price. The only downsides that I've discovered so far are that using the full digital zoom makes for quite pixelated footage (as is usual with digital zooms) but it's very acceptable up to about three quarters zoom. The other bugbear that I've discovered is that it records in MPEG4 format (which I think is an apple format). This means that some editing programs don't recognise the footage (Windows Moviemaker for example). More expensive editing software will work fine with it and the free sotware that comes with the camera is easy to use (if a little basic). My problem has been that the footage shot on my GoPro Hero camera is WMV format and the ZX5 is MPEG4 making it difficult for me to combine footage from both cameras in one video. I've been looking for freeware that converts footage from one format to the other to overcome this problem but so far the ones I've tried reduce the resolution of the clips so much (during the conversion process) that having HD capability is practically worthless. I think I may just have to bite the bullet and shell out for a pukka editing software package that'll do all this without loss of resolution.

Hi Chris, thanks for the pros & cons.

Perhaps you should download FreeStudio from www.dvdvideosoft.com

It does most of what I need for free.

Jeez, that was fast. Bought it on ebay yesterday and it arrived first thing this morning. Tried it and it all works fine.
    My missus wants me to put it back in the box and wait until the end of November when it's my birthday and it saves her trying to think of what to buy me!

What!!!! I can think of lots of other nice things thank you very much. Let me think hmm... A drysuit perhaps, how about some drybags or a VHF radio. There are plenty of other things she can buy me. I guess what she means is that she can save some money as I now have something she can just wrap up!!

Looks like I won't be filming anything for a bit then, but hey, it looks good! Can't wait to drop it in the sink and film something under water!! Lol.