Thread: How Do YOU store your Canoe/s

Default How Do YOU store your Canoe/s

I was wondering how people store their Canoe/s.

At the moment i have mine gunwales side down on some milk crates with some pipe insulation for padding.
    And it is chained to a tree behind my parents summer house.

I live in a third floor flat so would find it a wee bit tricky to store it there lol.

I am thinking about building a sort of saw horse type of contraption but would like some inspiration from how others store theirs.

Photos would be even better please as i think everybody likes to be nosey lol.

scotty7367

I belong to a club - I keep it there & pick it up for trips:

I have three builders tressels with pipe insulating foam on the bars, they are great as they are height adjustable as we have 5 kayaks and prevoiusly two and now one open boat on them, stored in the garage, shame about the car!!!

I have 2 sea kayaks on brackets on the wall of the garage and the opens live inside on my canoe trailer.Pakboat currently on top of the freezer keeping a deer inside.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    I have 2 sea kayaks on brackets on the wall of the garage and the opens live inside on my canoe trailer.Pakboat currently on top of the freezer keeping a deer inside.

It's cruel to keep a deer indoors, in a pakboat on top of the freezer.
    If it has a panicked look on its face, I think you should let it go and I hope you've been feeding it properly.
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

It seems that 60% of the time mine lives on top of the car ready for the next paddle. When she gets a rest, she lives on 2 wooden blocks about 1/4 of the way in from each end, outside, chained to a security anchor bolted to the wall.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Mine used to be on saw horses outside but it's now like this.

That's a roller nearest the camera.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Default Canoe storage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post

That's just plain showing off!!

Bootstrap
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

Quote Originally Posted by Toptec View Post
    That's just plain showing off!!

Bootstrap
    I picked up the bits for this years ago but it's taken me that long to get round to building the car port
    I am quite pleased with the result though
    Bootstrap

Shame about the colour of the canoe though.....

Colour had to creep in here somewhere. Well I'm on Bob's side, and it's not just because he was helpful with my tent purchase
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。 My location
    Journal Entries

Couple of eckla canoe racks in the garage:

Fine words butter no parsnips

Crow Trip Log

Default Store your Canoe

Would cream help cure the horses...?

Red face Ooh, I like that .

Very nice. I have mine suspended from the shed (used to be a garage) roof from the grab loops either end. It is an OT Scout (and as yet hasn't pulled the shed roof down). Now I've heard that this is not the best way to keep it - will it really do damage to the canoe?

here's how my craft live

Edit.............................................. ......................................

I seem to have broken it.

Can someone help me please???? I can't appear to post a picture. (like quite a few others I'm sure) seems to be saving as an attachment, even tho I'm on flickr with resolution of 1024 x 613
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 19th-July-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Quote Originally Posted by joe.ford View Post
    here's how my craft live

[IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6024/...1e0ce085_b.jpg[/IMG]

Edit.............................................. ......................................

I seem to have broken it.

Can someone help me please???? I can't appear to post a picture. (like quite a few others I'm sure) seems to be saving as an attachment, even tho I'm on flickr with resolution of 1024 x 613
    Joe - here you go...

thank you, now why can I post pictures on bcuk, but not here?? strange
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

This is how we stored 'Storky bird' when I had the MG. It fitted fine, until I bought I van!!!

I use a very similar setup like big drip (two rope slings), but with a set of pulleys to conveniently lower it on my shoulders/the roof rack of my car...

Quote Originally Posted by vavrath View Post
    I use a very similar setup like big drip (two rope slings), but with a set of pulleys to conveniently lower it on my shoulders/the roof rack of my car...
    Hi vavrath, what you can't see in the photo is the large cast iron pully on the nearest end of the canoe. But we have had a re-think and moved the canoe to the side and used timber frames in place of the rope.

Fraid mine gets wrapped in a tarp and lies on the back grass at my parents.

Default I now have made a rack for my Canoe after Posting this post lol

It is made from an old bench from work.

I put on three new fence panels for you dad and knocked it up in an Hour or so.

The legs were hammered into the ground about a foot and it is screwed to the fence post too so good and sturdy.

I have a few little tweeks to make but I am very happy with this as it just used to sit on some milk crates lol lol

scotty7367
    Paddle Faster I Hear Banjos.

Journal Entries

For the outside canoes (the ones I'm not as worried about) I have two "patriarchal crosses" set up. It looks something like the above photo by Joe.Ford.
    , except it holds four canoes, two on each side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchal_cross

For the canoes I care more about, I have them suspended from the trusses in the garage. The upside down stern of each canoe is placed on a solid frame attached to the truss. Ropes extend down on either side of the bow. The end of each rope is knotted. A board with a slit on each end fits over the ropes making a "swing" to hold the bow. The canoe is easily removed by lifting up on the bow with one hand and pulling the rope loose from the "swing" board with the other hand.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

[IMG]jpeg canoeing 24 03 12 006[/IMG]

not sure if this is going to work, but this is how I store my kit.

One set of ropes to hoist, another to hold it up there!

Quote Originally Posted by K Sheps View Post

One set of ropes to hoist, another to hold it up there!
    Good effort storing it that way up will stop any 'hogging' issues as can be seen in this thread http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...hlight=hogging

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    Good effort storing it that way up will stop any 'hogging' issues as can be seen in this thread http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...hlight=hogging
    You're post gave me the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by K Sheps View Post
    You're post gave me the idea!
    I have not done it my self but some old car seat belts make good cheap slings cradle the hull, I just use old cam straps and pull them up to the desired hight.

mine live on a keyclamp rack between 2 of the sheds, and provide handy cover for the bikes and stuff kept under them!

sod work, im off for a paddle.

I am currently building my canoe shed, the Nova Pal is on its way from Canada as I build,
    http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/IMG_0944.jpg
    http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/IMG_0962.jpg
    http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/IMG_1030.jpg

Hope to get it finished before it comes.
    Cheers
    Bill

There is a low lattice of 3x2 - can just see the ends sticking out to the left - so the whole canoe is just off the ground.
    Before I cleared this bit of garden space it was propped up on edge at the side of the house, and I figured that it needed to be somewhere level through the winter.

and with the camo tarp it is completely invisible to German aircraft, brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
    and with the camo tarp it is completely invisible to German aircraft, brilliant!
    Er..

Greetings from Berlin
    Dull Knives are the most dangerous ones.

Shall we just say it works sooo well its not been bombed by anyone (ok maybe a few birds, but not sure they count).

Sure no offence meant.

no offence meant, and I will be more careful of my snap replies in the future.

a blunt knife is as much use as a sharp spoon!

Yes, I know, it's British humour.
    Dull Knives are the most dangerous ones.

In readiness for our first "proper" canoe later this week Mrs. Pirate and I cleared out the garage so it could be stored in there. So far, so good.

I assumed they were always stored upside down and on stands but all this talk of hogging has got me worried.

If I store it the right way up but still on stands, is hogging still not a possibilty but in the other direction?

So would I be better storing it the right way up but on the floor?

Blimey, the old inflatable was never this much trouble !
    There's a Bluebird in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Pirate View Post
    In readiness for our first "proper" canoe later this week Mrs. Pirate and I cleared out the garage so it could be stored in there. So far, so good.

I assumed they were always stored upside down and on stands but all this talk of hogging has got me worried.

If I store it the right way up but still on stands, is hogging still not a possibilty but in the other direction?

So would I be better storing it the right way up but on the floor?
    If its Royalex upside down on stands will be fine, if its plastic, sp3, ramx, corlite, TT and loads of other names manufactures give to polythene I would store as right way up on the straps if possible but if not on the floor.

Just got your Holker Street or should that be the Furness BuildingSociety Stadium signature.

Thanks for the advice, retro (it is polythene)

And it will ALWAYS be Holker Street !
    There's a Bluebird in my heart

Very neat!

There was only one possible place I could keep a canoe and it was a perfect fit.

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Out of interest would people be interested in proper "outdoor" canoe covers like the ones you can buy specific for your car ? I had one on my rally car and it was brilliant I still have one on a mini cooper living in my garage and it got me thinking they would be superb as canoe covers. If tailored they could probably be used in transport too ?

Im not planning on making them but have approached the company that made my car ones for feasibility and price.
    Nobody cares what phone you posted from

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraft paddler View Post
    Out of interest would people be interested in proper "outdoor" canoe covers like the ones you can buy specific for your car ? I had one on my rally car and it was brilliant I still have one on a mini cooper living in my garage and it got me thinking they would be superb as canoe covers. If tailored they could probably be used in transport too ?

Im not planning on making them but have approached the company that made my car ones for feasibility and price.

I'd be interested to know how much they'll cost. I paid £110 to have one made for me, so if they come in substantially cheaper than that, I may have one or two.

Won't it be a tad difficult to get them tailor made if the maker doesn't have the canoe he's making it for in his possession ??
    Nin Wanakiwidee Tchiman

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    I'd be interested to know how much they'll cost. I paid £110 to have one made for me, so if they come in substantially cheaper than that, I may have one or two.

Won't it be a tad difficult to get them tailor made if the maker doesn't have the canoe he's making it for in his possession ??
    My mini one cost about £60. But to answer your question about design, if they are interested and make them like the car ones. First person to take one ( of a specific design) to their factory (Sussex if I remember correctly) gets a rather good deal out of their canoe being used as the template ...
    Nobody cares what phone you posted from

Default A neat-looking solution to canoe storage...

but you need to be in the right kind of place (Sardinia in this case).

dave

My canoe is on 2 brackets on the wall on its side , so it takes up less room . and it is easy to roll it off straight on to my shoulders .

Hi folks
    I store my canoe on my home made water assisted winch.
    An old central heating pump pumps the water from the tank on the floor to the top container which then descends pulling on the ropes to lift the canoe.To let it down again the tap on the container is opened and the water empties back into the tank on the floor.
    I added a couple of ply hooks to hold the empty container at the top whilst the slings are removed and attached.
    Cheers
    Alick

That's brilliant! The Canoe Liftomatic 500....... Straight out of Wallace and Grommit.
    Bootstrap

Indeed, fantastic contraption!