Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Excellent river Wye taxi service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    1,691

    Default Excellent river Wye taxi service

    First, I've no connection with this company etc etc (and I'm not looking for a discount on our next trip or anything) last week we did our now annual river Wye trip and we used Kenny's Taxis after hearing about the service on a recent blogg. We prebooked to meet Kenny 10am at Monmouth rowing club (free parking) and he arrived bang on time, we loaded our two boats on his roof rack and a mountain of gear and two of us in his Berlingo and he dropped us at Glasbury an hour later. And all for a very reasonable price considering the alternative hassle of either taking two cars to shuttle or hanging round all day waiting for a series of buses to get back to the car at the end of the trip. At the end of the trip the car was waiting for us. It just seemed so hassle free after the time we've wasted in previous years trying to get the car in the right place for the end of the week when all you want to do is get home for a s. s. and shampoo. So credit where it's due .....Kenny's Taxis 07828882432 (an all round good bloke/paddler/biker/angler)
    Paul

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Appleton, Warrington.
    Posts
    1,156

    Default Thanks

    It's useful info as I am considering doing it solo soon, how much is reasonable (don't be shy) ?

    Did you have any concerns leaving your car at the rowing club for a few days ?

    When I paddled last, I noticed the flood gates on the tunnel to the rowing club meaning your car could be locked in in the event of a potential flood. Does anyone know how often they are closed ?

    Regards.

    Paul

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    1,691

    Default

    Hello Paul,
    Re car security, As we're all aware it's sadly always a gamble leaving anything anywhere these days, but the rowing club seemed as good as could be expected for a public space. I think to be sure not to find your car on a stack of bricks you would have to leave it at a 'proper campsite' that would cost money of course. There's a good setup at the old railway station café at Tintern. they have a barriered car park but you can only get in after 10am and out (as I remember) about 6pm ish. We left a car there last year and the cost was very little. Flood gates???? never saw those, but it's a very good point, although I would think only a flood of serious proportions would raise the levels enough to be a threat to the parked cars. As far as the cost of the taxi is concerned I didn't think it was the done thing to quote a price for someone else's work. Kenny will give you a price over the phone though. He's based in Monmouth so meeting there is most cost effective. Hope we get some rain before your trip to top the levels up a bit and it would be nice if this %&$%% wind would go away. We had 6 days of relentless wind battling, even when it was from behind it was causing problems.
    Cheers,
    Paul

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Monmouthshire
    Posts
    565

    Default

    As some one who lives near Monmouth, I can say that car crime isn't big round here. On a couple of occasions I have seen articles in the local paper when a car does get broken into.

    If you are a bit nervous about the rowing club, there are loads of places in town where you could safely park.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bin_man View Post
    Did you have any concerns leaving your car at the rowing club for a few days ?
    Questions;
    What make is your car?
    What colour is it?
    When will it be left there?
    What time will you be back?
    Do you have a good stereo?
    What's in the boot?
    Is the fuel tank full?
    Petrol or diesel?
    Is it alarmed?
    Is it worth owt?

    Just askin'

    .
    Click on my Mini-Me to visit my Blog


  6. #6

    Default

    Seriously though this does sound like a very good buiness idea.

    One that someone should take up?

    There must be a great need for this kind of thing all around the country!

    The little folding motorbike idea sounded mad at 1st but that's taken off BIG time.

    Hmmmm..........off Mini-bus and canoe/kayak trailer huntin' now....then to the Dragons Den for funding

    Perhaps some local canoe/kayak club with the equipment could offer these services to make valuable funds????
    Last edited by Eddie Stalkperch; 28th-May-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Just adding more brilliant stuff :)
    Click on my Mini-Me to visit my Blog


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulsmith View Post
    First, I've no connection with this company etc etc (and I'm not looking for a discount on our next trip or anything) last week we did our now annual river Wye trip and we used Kenny's Taxis after hearing about the service on a recent blogg. We prebooked to meet Kenny 10am at Monmouth rowing club (free parking) and he arrived bang on time, we loaded our two boats on his roof rack and a mountain of gear and two of us in his Berlingo and he dropped us at Glasbury an hour later. And all for a very reasonable price considering the alternative hassle of either taking two cars to shuttle or hanging round all day waiting for a series of buses to get back to the car at the end of the trip. At the end of the trip the car was waiting for us. It just seemed so hassle free after the time we've wasted in previous years trying to get the car in the right place for the end of the week when all you want to do is get home for a s. s. and shampoo. So credit where it's due .....Kenny's Taxis 07828882432 (an all round good bloke/paddler/biker/angler)
    Paul
    I can 2nd that opinion. We used Kenny a month or so ago for Hereford to Whitney. He was on time (well slightly early actually) and very reasonable. He's also a nice bloke and we had plenty of banter on the way up. I'd definitely use him for car shuttling on the Wye.
    The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Kenny sorted us out on a shuttle on new years day, when an other taxi services wanted 75 quid for a short run. Really helpful in finding a time to fit us in.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stroud
    Posts
    805

    Default Kennys Taxis

    I'll third that opinion - if you're coming from the north why not drop your kit and paddling partner at the get on, drive to Monmouth and get a run back while your paddling partner is sorting out the boat?

    Last time I used Kennys Taxis he was on an airport run with the Berlingo, but Mrs Kenny drove me back to the boat where my wife was getting everything sorted.
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stroud
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Stalkperch View Post
    Seriously though this does sound like a very good buiness idea.

    One that someone should take up?

    There must be a great need for this kind of thing all around the country!

    The little folding motorbike idea sounded mad at 1st but that's taken off BIG time.

    Hmmmm..........off Mini-bus and canoe/kayak trailer huntin' now....then to the Dragons Den for funding

    Perhaps some local canoe/kayak club with the equipment could offer these services to make valuable funds????
    Here's a start

    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ailer-for-sale

    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    We used Kenny's Taxis on Sunday to get two of us, two canoes and a pile of kit back to our vehicles near Hereford.
    We were a bit surprised when the driver turned up in a saloon car (no roofbars) with a small box trailer. While we were scratching our heads he pulled out two bars to slot onto the trailer, then extended the telescopic draw bar by about six feet. Ingenious!
    Very reasonable cost too. I'll be using them again.
    Cheers, Pieface.

    "What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Coventry (from Stoke on Trent)
    Posts
    1,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post
    We used Kenny's Taxis on Sunday to get two of us, two canoes and a pile of kit back to our vehicles near Hereford.
    We were a bit surprised when the driver turned up in a saloon car (no roofbars) with a small box trailer. While we were scratching our heads he pulled out two bars to slot onto the trailer, then extended the telescopic draw bar by about six feet. Ingenious!
    Very reasonable cost too. I'll be using them again.
    I think we need the blueprints for the trailer.
    Ratty (Russ)

    I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •