Thread: Relum Taskforce or Vango Force 10 ?

Default Relum Taskforce or Vango Force 10 ?

HELP.....what shall we buy! We have narrowed it down to the above and now can't decide. It does not seem possible to view either tent to compare build quality etc. Just wondering if any of you guy's have any advice for us
    Cheers Mandy & Mark

for what it's worth.... prior to your post above, I had never heard of relum task force....

Vango force 10's however. Totally bombproof, should last a lifetime and you can buy individual spare parts for them. My money would be on the vango - the design is classic and it has lasted because it is good - no great.
    Cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by explorerdlx View Post
    for what it's worth.... prior to your post above, I had never heard of relum task force....

Vango force 10's however. Totally bombproof, should last a lifetime and you can buy individual spare parts for them. My money would be on the vango - the design is classic and it has lasted because it is good - no great.
    I wish to be associated with Mike's (explorerdlx) comments above My Vango Mk5 photographed last year is now getting on for 30yrs old.

DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Hi

Thanks for both your replies, but from what I can work out from web sites, the Relum Taskforce looks like basically the same as the force 10 but a slightly different size......and cheaper.....and you can add on a useful extension....

Would love to hear of anybodies experience of a Relum.

Mark & Mandy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lugg Birds View Post
    Hi

Thanks for both your replies, but from what I can work out from web sites, the Relum Taskforce looks like basically the same as the force 10 but a slightly different size......and cheaper.....and you can add on a useful extension....

Would love to hear of anybodies experience of a Relum.

Mark & Mandy.
    I think forum member Redkite has one, drop him a PM.

I had a Relum frame tent about 20 years ago. It was a good tent but I guess my experience is out of date.

Default Relum Task Force

Someone sold one on eBay last month, see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Relum-Task-For...item3cb62102fe

It's quoted as the smaller 3 man and someone of 5'10" can stand up in it ... so it sounds immense in comparison to the Vangos.

They've guessed it's about 40yrs old, uprights rather than the (as Vango) A-frame, so they seem to last well too.

Ideally see if you can find a local(ish) stockist and go and see one erected ... do the same for the Vango ... and see what might work best for you and the type of camping you intend.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Thanks again,

I don't seem to be able to use the PM, maybe I'm just being thick.

I've been on the phone to Relum, and they don't have a show room, and only supply direct, and you can't return for no reason.

The Taskforce now uses an A frame.

Mark & Mandy

Quote Originally Posted by The Lugg Birds View Post
    Thanks again,

I don't seem to be able to use the PM, maybe I'm just being thick.

I've been on the phone to Relum, and they don't have a show room, and only supply direct, and you can't return for no reason.

The Taskforce now uses an A frame.

Mark & Mandy
    PMs ... I think you need to have racked up a relatively small number of posts before you can send PMs, that might be the problem.

A quick Google search found 3 Relum suppliers on the first page, they all seem to be suppliers of Scouting tents too, there may well be others, stockists may have facilities for you to view, here are the links I found ...

http://www.tents-direct.co.uk/massiv...urerName=Relum

http://www.bctrelum.co.uk/ ... I'm assuming that this is Relum themselves.

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/relum/largedome.htm
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Thanks again,

BCT Relum is Relum, and they say they only supply direct, meaning anyone else is just ordering off them, and having delivered direct to the order address. Jacksons say they need to delete the page as they don't supply them anymore, Tents Direct haven't got one to look at, and suggest that I find a local supplier.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark & Mandy.

Default PMs & Relums.

Hi Mark & Mandy,

I've just checked and the rule is 3 posts before you can PM someone, you are past that so it should work OK. Click on [Private Messages] on the lower bar at the top of the SotP page you are on, then [Send New Message] from the [My Messages] box on the left ... and send one off to to Red Kite to see if he's got a Relum. Capitals & a space character in the username.

From what I've seen of reviews they seem pretty good and they've been supplying the scouts with group tents for donkeys years. I asked a Scouting friend if their group used TaskForce's ... no they've Vango's ... though other groups may well have Relums ... any local scout group/scouting friends you could ask?

Some comments on BCT/Relum here ... http://www.escouts.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7757

regards,

Mike.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

I would be surprised if Relum supply cheaper than their retailers since it would be cheeky for them to undercut them by omitting the retailer's margin.

Lichfield Tents sell them.

Hi Potty Paddler! actually on our last attempt to pm Red Kite a message came up saying that he does not accept pm's so that's stopped that line of enquiry

Adrian, it does seem as though it's cheeky but then some items are always cheaper via the manufacturer (if they sell direct) well that's what I've found.

Thanks for your input guys (sorry had to put that in he's so cute!) hopefully we'll get our tent soon.

Mandy (he who shall not be obeyed is away at work )

We used to have a Relum tent when i was a kid and i remember it being very good and it lasted for years.
    I was delighted to see them on the BCT website recently, the Taskforce looks excellent and the option of adding the extension is a big plus.
    We use a lot of Vango Force 10s at work and in my opinion they are not as good as they used to be (i'm sure others will beg to differ).
    If i were you (buying blind) i'd go for the Relum + extension.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Interestingly another thread on SotP, on tent carpet size, gives a link to "The Joy of Canvas" website. The Force Ten review says that "Production moved to China in 2006?", so Pieface you may well be right and older ones may be better. Here's the link to the review page ... http://sites.google.com/site/thejoyo...ango-force-ten.
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read