Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Snake River Canoes 12' Review

It would be good to see a few Snake River boats there !!

I would like to, but i won't have a boat by then,i'm working friday, and though i break up for some leave that weekend, i can't get my dogs in kennels before sunday.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    It would be good to see a few Snake River boats there !!
    Unfortunately i won't have mine either by then , he had a couple to do before mine.

Just had an email from Mel saying mine will be ready this weekend !.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dogman2 View Post

Rob
    Better get the motor fueled up then

Rob
    I still haven't heard from him i will drop him an email and see whats happening with mine .

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
    I still haven't heard from him i will drop him an email and see whats happening with mine .

Hi John, i've sent you a p.m

Rob

Hi John, i've sent you a p.m

Rob
    Have sent PM, sure some time soon we can get them out and about and post some pics.

John

Sounds good. but you'll have to post the photo's, i'm a little bit challenged in the computer department.

Rob

Just got it home

Rob

Just got it home

Rob
    Got mine too, want to start a new thread but not sure how to yet just looking

Yep, i think we need a 15ft "jake the snake" thread.

Rob

I have recently bought a 12' Solo, thanks largely to wavecloud's excellent review. Having phoned Mel at Snake River I went to see him and look at the canoes. I was impressed with what I saw and Mel certainly seems to know what he is talking about. I ordered a 12' bare hull in white and Mel gave me an excellent price for the hull and the timber for the gunwales. Mel said it should be ready within 10 days, 5 days later he called to say it was ready, how's that for customer service.

Once I had collected it and got it home, it started to rain, so obviously I put it in the conservatory so I could start work straight away.

I got on with fitting the gunwales, Mel had supplied the standard fibreglass end caps in white, but I wanted something a bit different so I made the decks out of a piece of cherry, a bit of faffing around to get them the right size and shape, but I like the end result.

Here she is almost finished, the keen eyed amongst you will notice something missing, the seat! I wanted to try using a kneeling saddle so I had asked Mel to leave out the seat mounting blocks, he also added an extra bit of reinforcement into the lay up.

After my first paddle I added a second thwart/cross brace because there was a quite alot of creaking when I lifted the boat on and off the car and during portages. Probably not a problem but the thwart doesn't get in the way, adds very little weight, and stops me thinking the canoe is about to break in half. You can just about see the extra thwart in the bottom picture.

When I first paddled the canoe it was a bit more "tippy" than I am used to, my other canoe is a 16' Ranger. But I soon got used to it and found it tracked really well, and is a joy to paddle.
    All in all this is a brilliant canoe that is easy to load/unload/portage, I would recommend it to any body looking for a solo canoe.

Barney

Look's totally fantastic in white!

Nice woodwork as well!

Yep, well nice - agree with you on the choice of wooden end caps. I never like the fibreglass ones, on these or Mega canoes. keep it wooden folks!

Whats the weight of those 12 footers?

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Yep, well nice - agree with you on the choice of wooden end caps. I never like the fibreglass ones, on these or Mega canoes. keep it wooden folks!

Whats the weight of those 12 footers?
    Between 16 and 19 kilos.......

Nice looking boat Barney. My scratches are all show white so hopefully they won't show so much on yours.
    What do you plan to do about buoyancy ? My teenage son was practising some fancy stroke that Becky Mason had showed him; in the local swimming baths and capsized. The boat ended up six foot under ! Glad it was in the pool, except they don't allow photographs, rather than the Nene. I've now added a couple of big barrels, but they have made a big increase in the weight which was a big advantage of the Snake River boat.

Thanks for the comments guys, part of the reason for choosing white was to stop the scratches showing. I keep meaning to weigh it but never actualy remember when I have the oportunity. As to bouyancy, I hadn't really thought about it, it's mainly for flatwater rivers, so even if i do capsize I wouldn't have thought it would totally fill with water, so I could probably pull it to the bank then bail it out. Wavecloud is probably the man to ask as he seems to have experience http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...oud-s-Ockyssey .

I have recovered mine from the river bed with no problems...

A single airbag would be enough though.

Finally got round to weighing my 12' solo today, it is just under 19 kilos. The wooden decks/endcaps I fitted in place of the fibreglass ones probably added less than 1/2 a kilo. The lack of a seat is probably made up for by the extra thwart and the extra reinforcement Mel put in for me.

Pretty boat, loving the white against the woodwork.

any recommendation where to fit an airbag to this boat, not really anywhere to tie it to apart from the seat? also was looking on ebay and the one auction said they were not recommended for fibre glass boats as they could get punctured? this is my first proper canoe so it is all new to me

You would be best to put some sort of lacing across the gunwales.

Any boat can be punctured if you hit it hard enough in the right place, be it composite or plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupot View Post
    any recommendation where to fit an airbag to this boat, not really anywhere to tie it to apart from the seat? also was looking on ebay and the one auction said they were not recommended for fibre glass boats as they could get punctured? this is my first proper canoe so it is all new to me
    I think the comment on not being recommened for glass fibre boats is based on the fact that there are some badly made glass fibre boats around that have sharp pieces of fibre glass matt/cloth poking up on the inside of the hull. Snake River canoes do not fall in to this category and certainly all those which I have seen would be fine to fit an airbag too. Obviously you should check before you fit the airbag that there is nothing that could damage it, but this applies to all canoes.

Normally airbags are fitted to the bow and/or stern with some strong rope laced across between the gunnels and a D-ring bonded to the floor of the canoe. If you search this forum for "lacing" or "airbags" you should find some examples of how to do it.

Barney

My Snake River is very smooth inside...

Would'nt hurt to put a bit of foam mat between the bag and the hull.

Good idea - some folk put mat over the top of the airbag as well, to protect from low branches and stuff.

Another option, is close cell foam or polystyrene blocks instead of airbags.

You can make some nice bouyancy with poly wall insulation and gaff tape

just took my 15 footer out for the maiden down the canal with 2 kids, first few minutes were a little hairy after being used to an inflatable, but after that it was great.

off down the trent at the weekend if weather permits, can't wait

It was brought second hand, was told it had only been used 5 times but looks a little too scratched to believe, this is my first fibre glass canoe so I have nothing to compare to, but I did notice a little flexing(oil canning?) in the bottom, not much, just enough to notice?

My Snakey does have a bit of flex in the bottom when on the water now & again, but its no big thing.

Rob

My Mega has a slight oil can, when not loaded. A day bag onboard and the oil canning is not there.

My Snakeriver 12 doesn't oil can at all.

Should'nt oil can at all.

No a man who's building a zero, zero, oil canning boat Marcus????

Yep

Maybe he should have a review done of one of his boats!?

cool video,
    I enjoyed that, very different...
    Thanks for sharing.
    Very different from my "Ditching"
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

I love the GoPro!

Cheers Toptec!

Can I ask which model Go Pro it is?
    "Access all areas, Under the radar"

It's the Gopro Hero, not the new Hero2.

I also got the little monitor that fits on the back...

Defo a great fun camera and very good quality.

hi,
    I need advice on either a 15' or a 16'.....
    basically, I want / need a boat that will be big enough for the family ( me - 12st, the wife - 10st, 2 x small kids - 4st) for a day paddle, but also nimble enough for a solo trip ( loaded with my camping kit) man style !!
    use will be on moving water, but not WW( unless I am feeling brave...) also maybe tidal estuary use, unloaded, solo or tandem ...

looking at the 16' to be honest.... as I think this will fit my bill better..
    how do they handle solo?
    are they big enough for my requirements?
    things to watch for.... or improvements i should ask for ?

cheers Al.

ps... also looking at the apache, similar sizes....

Have a look at the review of the Old Town Charles River

How much do they cost new?

The Snake or the OT ?

Hi............

I will look at the Old Town... but to be honest..its the weight that lets it down for me... that and the price of a RX.....

cheers

Snake River Canoes are very good value!

I've just bought a Snake River 12-footer from Mel. He's a great guy to deal with, and happily altered the boat for free today. I've blogged my first trip in it;
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...lsham-and-Bure

I now have a higher seat, and can't wait to get out again and try it out. It's a great boat, great value, and light for car-topping. I'll put more pics up here soon.
    "the river flows, flows to the sea, wherever that river goes, that's where i want to be"- the Byrds

Been out on the 12-footer again today.
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...om-Barton-Turf
    I took the boat back to Mel, and his idea was to put in a higher seat, hanging off the gunwhales, on the other end of the boat, leaving the original one in place, in case I want to swap back, or have a smaller paddler with me one day. Thought it might be too tippy, but it worked a treat! The tippiness wasn't any worse for it, and it's so much easier to kneel now, plus my back didn't complain at all.
    So, I love this little boat now! It's easy to car-top, big enough for my (I'm not small!) and my dog, and lets me get out on the water with no hassle. Some more pics...

"the river flows, flows to the sea, wherever that river goes, that's where i want to be"- the Byrds

Lovely!

Im not small either - 6'3 and about 15 stone!

Mine works for me

Some of you have had a Snake River for nearly a couple of years now, have you any further thoughts on them. A review a bit like a long a long term car test would be useful, as they are on my consideration list.

jim

Yes - I've had mine for a while and I'm still more than happy with it!

Its never been kept inside at all and it still looks good even with all that harsh weather we've had. For the money I don't think you can get better..

Just had first proper outing in SRC12'.
    Been pondering the similarity to old town pack... Which is 1kg lighter, but whose official spec lists it as being suited to 249-270kg load range! So bearing in mind that I'm 80kg and my son probably 20kg, means what?
    What would be the likely optimal load weight for the 12' for progress?

Was also wondering whether its advantageous to keep boat flat or have it canted towards a gunwale?

Best kept flat on a couple of bars or similar. I weigh in at around 100 kilos and have carried plenty of kit as well, without any problems. Imo the recommended weights/loads can be taken with a slight pinch of salt, as with any craft. I'm on the heavy side son my paddle craft all look well loaded with me onboard!

I think Pondweed means paddled flat or heeled over rather than how to store it ?

yup, but all information is useful...!!
    Re the request, I started querying it when reading about someone using a shorter paddle as he heeled the boat over to be nearer the water. I'd like to know what the benefits of keeping the flat and micro keel vs paddling on the side, for when I'm solo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123