Thread: Wheres The Path. Plan Your trip and see where you are going

Default Wheres The Path. Plan Your trip and see where you are going

Hi

This is a great site for planning a trip and actually seeing what it looks like where you are going.

Best of all its all free and you dont need to do any downloads to use it.

Many thanks to Davy Crockett who first told me about this site which has proved to be an invaluable help ever since.

The site is called "wheres the path" http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm .

You get a split screen with OS maps on the left hand side and a Google Satellite arial view on the right.

You can do all the normal things like zoom in and out and move around both sides of the screens using the arrows.

At the top of the left hand side of the screen you can enter a place name of where you want to start your trip.

At the bottom of the left hand screen there is a symbol that looks like a 3 sided square. If you click on that symbol you can then start putting down way markers along your route by clicking on the map or the arial view at points along your route.

once you have put down a way marker when you set another one if you look next to the 3 sided symbol at the bottom of the left hand screen the distance is displayed.

You can keep doing this all the way along your route so you know the total distance.

By being able to zoom in on the right hand arial view side of the screen you get a really good idea about the route including portages, banks you can use to get out for a brew, car parking potential etcetera.

You can then print off the route which gives you a map and a table of distances between the waymarkers you set. Try to set as few waymarkers as you can, though this is hard when the route twists and turns a lot, as it helps when you want to print.

There seems to be a lot more you can do on this site as well.

Hope I am not telling everyone something they already know but this is a great site for planning a trip and I will always be eternally grateful to Davy for introducing me to it.

thanks for reading
    Richard (AKA Wally)

Cool. Great link, thanks for posting it.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Great link,thanks for that.

Cracking ! Thanks for that really useful .
    Bandy

CLICK THE LINK TO THE SCOTTISH CANOE TRIPS CHANNEL FOR VIDEOS OF MY TRIPS : http://www.youtube.com/user/bandy598

Emmerdale, also know as Bradford sewage works

and another:

http://gb.mapometer.com/en/

Only problem is based on Googlemaps rather than OS

yep this is just the same as twomaps.com

I've recently started using Google's my maps which allows you to plot routes and points of interest on maps.

Plotted the first day of the Bronte Way walk and marked on some good fruit filled hedgerows!

We could do similar things with put ins, get outs, waterside pubs, wild camps and hazards.

I think you can password them so they aren't visible to allcomers either.

Jay
    It was like that when I got here...

That's brilliant! Thanks for the tip, I can use it for all sorts of stuff.
    "We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Very handy to see both map and terrain
    Thanks
    PWC
    PWC

Journal Entries

Default Plan your trip

Unless things have improved, there is a small problem as I understand it there is a limit to users and if it exceeds this (daily?) it uses a very old OS map. However a great mapping site.

I can see water from my loft, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Unless things have improved, there is a small problem as I understand it there is a limit to users and if it exceeds this (daily?) it uses a very old OS map. However a great mapping site.
    Which doesn't cover Scotland but it's been a while since that has happened.

Cheers,
    Mark