Thread: Shower facilities in the uk

Default Shower facilities in the uk

Been away canoe camping for a few days in hot weather? got a long way to drive home? Did you know that most motorway services in the uk have showers for long distance drivers and anyone can use them. most are free, a few charge a nominal fee.

most services have a time limit on free parking - usually about two hours but may be less - check the signs in the car park

I found a list of uk motorway services, if you select one, then look under "facilities - general" it will tell you if they have showers there. some may be cleaner than others but then, if you've just got out of an canal or uban river...

http://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Motorway_Services

not near a motorway? most leisure centers will let you use their showers for a couple of quid.
    Last edited by twosugars; 28th-July-2010 at 10:19 AM.
    "Not taking life seriously since 1970"

This reminds me of an old podcast on backpackinglight.co.uk where they were interviewing an ultralightweight long distance walker who often walks for weeks at a time. One of the questions was whether age was mellowing him, and what changes he was making to his equipment. His reply was that recently he had started to take a second pair of underpants with him to change into for the train journey home, as he got fewer strange looks that way.
    "I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. " - Daniel Boone

Nice tip however there is an alternative. I have started wearing a thin layer of merino wool pants/t-shirts etc next to my skin - it doesn't smell even after a few days hard graft. Icebreaker or Chocolate Fish are a good place to start

Quote Originally Posted by SunburyAndy View Post
    I have started wearing a thin layer of merino wool pants/t-shirts etc next to my skin - it doesn't smell even after a few days hard graft.
    I agree entirely merino wool is definitely the way to go. I use a no name brand from a UK on line retailer http://www.thermalshop.co.uk/ which seem to work well. Also to pull in from another thread, a good close fitting base layer seems to help keep the ticks off.
    "I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days. " - Daniel Boone

Real wildcamping canoeists, stink.
    You don't stop playing because you are old, you get old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by marker View Post
    Real wildcamping canoeists, stink.
    And here I was, thinking I'd get myself a wash basin on a stand - British Campaign style.
    ----------------
    “When one rows, it is not the rowing which moves the ship: rowing is only a magical ceremony by means of which one compels a demon to move the ship.” - Nietzsche

This only confirms the Aussie belief that the best place to hide something from a Pom is under the soap...
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

All county council swimming pools are required to offer showers for a small fee and the public toilets in major cities and many highland towns often have showers for the same reason (Legal mandate to provide a minimum coverage of showers).
    Joshua Kelly - cboats.net

Thanks for the link; should come in handy sometime.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.