Thread: Farndon to Chester on the Dee

Default Farndon to Chester on the Dee

On Saturday, we got on the Dee, at last!
    Farndon is only an hour's drive from Manchester, and is set in beautiful Cheshire countryside. The put-in is via fisherman's steps (Quite steep, but do-able!) on river right, just above the road-bridge. This is also a good place to leave the car.
    The bridge in Farndon;

You soon leave the roads behind, and head into really quiet countryside. On your left is Wales, your right England. You pass lots of weekend homes, some of them really nice little hideaways, which if i'm right, are reached by boat rather than road.
    Yes, that is a Jolly Roger flying;

There are miles of river winding through woodland and farmland, with hardly a road to be heard;

It started to pour down, so we took a break in an eddy,underneath an overhanging tree, for a spot of lunch... how civilised!! Half an hour later, we were back underway...

The first bridge for miles is this iron one, dated 1823, that leads to Eaton Hall;

In four hours, we saw only one other canoe, and this boat-trip from Chester, (time to try and look like a serious canoeist, and smile for the cameras!)

Some really desirable locations along the way;

And eventually, Chester comes into view!

Found a great car park for a take-out at Sandy lane ferry, although looking at Google Earth, you could continue right into the town, and take-out just before the weir, which we'll definitely do next time.
    A great day out, very flat water, but gorgeous scenery, very quite paddling, and tiring in it's own way!!

Thanks for looking!
    "the river flows, flows to the sea, wherever that river goes, that's where i want to be"- the Byrds

Lovelly blog. Great photos and wonderfull scenery. Definately on my "to do" list.

Great blog! familiar journey!
    We went as far as Eccleston Ferry a few years back & loved it.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...hlight=farndon

It's a lovely trip, which we will sure do again, but next time we will also continue to Chester.

Ed.

Looking at Google maps, I recon that Farndon bridge to Chester wier is about 12 miles.
    Now, bear in mind that we have a Stearns BackCountry inflatable and our max is 7 miles on canal, what's the flow like on the Dee? Enough to make 12 miles "do-able" without busting a gut in an inflatable? or would it be better to look for an earlier "take-out" than Chester weir?

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by zaskar View Post
    Looking at Google maps, I recon that Farndon bridge to Chester wier is about 12 miles.
    Now, bear in mind that we have a Stearns BackCountry inflatable and our max is 7 miles on canal, what's the flow like on the Dee? Enough to make 12 miles "do-able" without busting a gut in an inflatable? or would it be better to look for an earlier "take-out" than Chester weir?

Ta
    Hi Zaskar,
    I've never tried an inflatable, so i don't know how different they are, but if you had all day it'd be well worth it!
    Eccleston Ferry is the first possible take-out, and that is a fair way before Chester, so if you used a taxi-shuttle as we did, you could always stop there if you needed to.
    In places, there is actually quite a flow, although that may just've been the recent rain, i don't know.
    Give it a go, i reckon. There are a good few 'beaches' on the way for leg-stretches and picnics!
    "the river flows, flows to the sea, wherever that river goes, that's where i want to be"- the Byrds

Quote Originally Posted by advent100 View Post
    Great blog! familiar journey!
    We went as far as Eccleston Ferry a few years back & loved it.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...hlight=farndon

It's a lovely trip, which we will sure do again, but next time we will also continue to Chester.

Ed.
    That's what i love about SOTP.. you can always check other people's journeys! Your blog was one of the things that got me hooked on the idea, a while back. Damn though, i never did check what that weird thing in your photo was.. next time!

Nice Blogg
    Pleased you enjoyed your trip.
    Whilst continuing down into chester is enjoyable,passing a couple of rowing clubs the get out is fine but parking is horendous if not impossible as this is where all the tourists head for.
    The next trip on the river you should try is Bangor-on-Dee to Farndon.
    Similar distance.

Roy

I can only emphasise Roy's comments, Eccleston Ferry and Sandy Lane are free parking, and the nearer the weir the chances of parking are slimmer. Parking on a Sunday should be OK, a few hundred yards below the weir along side the cemetery, 'Browns Lane' is an option, but it is very sticky smelly soft mud.

I would also reccomend going upstream from Farndon and then back, it's a nice change.

BTW the 'hideaways' as accessed generally by car / 4WD and seem to be inhabited all year round.

Paul

A grand blog with photos to match.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I enjoyed your blog.

I've tried to encourage my friends to do this trip. It is a lovely quiet section.

Next time try Bangor on Dee to Farndon. Another great trip with some flow and a few very minor riffles.

Might see you out on the water someday,

Doug
    When there's trouble on shore, there's peace on the wave,
    Afloat in the White Canoe.
    Alan Sullivan

Thanks guys!
    I'm definitely up for doing more of this river!
    Have seen blogs of the bangor-farndon section, and i believe you can start even further up. It all looks good.
    As for those riverside houses... i'm jealous!

yup - another on the list of want to do paddles
    lovely old bridge - nice tree lined sections too
    thanks

Default Tidal Effect at Farndon

Seems like thare are some high tides at the moment and the new EA website clearly shows how far up the river is backed up: see http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...stationId=4170

Even more pronounced when you look at Ironbridge; http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...stationId=4173

Should be paddling it tomorrow with the better half...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bin_man View Post
    Seems like thare are some high tides at the moment and the new EA website clearly shows how far up the river is backed up: see http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...stationId=4170

Even more pronounced when you look at Ironbridge; http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...stationId=4173

Should be paddling it tomorrow with the better half...

Paul
    Thanks for posting that.. what a brilliant resource, would be worth posting about that website in 'General' in case you haven't already.
    Hope you have a good one!!

Default Canoe Trail Signs Up

RRJ - There are quite a few posts around with links to the website, but I wouldn't have thought of looking for tidal effect.

It was a nice paddle today, first time out with the 'better half' for a few years, after abandoning the toddler with her grandma for the day.

When I paddled down there today I noticed that the 'canoe trail' sign is up at Farndon,

but all the steps were taken up by anglers , so still had to go downsteam under the bridge to find a gap in the undergrowth.

Paul
    Last edited by bin_man; 15th-August-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: insert photo

What a lovely looking river, and it looks like you had perfect conditions for paddling too