Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Frontier wood stove from Ebay.

Question My new Frontier wood stove from Ebay.

Here are some pictures of my newly purchased Frontier wood burning stove, has anyone got one and how do they perform ???

I haven't got one, but I might want one...

Where did you get it and how much was it...?
    I'm not an Alcoholic... I'm Irish... There's a Difference...!!

Well, that looks handy, got any details , make price etc
    There are many roads of freedom, One of them wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Drongo View Post
    I haven't got one, but I might want one...

Where did you get it and how much was it...?
    ditto all of that

Default frontier stove

Got it of ebay , offered 70.00 on an asking price of 110.00.
    Am eagerly awaiting it, might be a bit cumbersome for a canoe trip but will be a useful addition to my camping equipment

Here's a couple of useful links but ebay seller did say he only had a couple left !!!

http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/ca...tierstove.html

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

That is sooooo cool! I want one, I don't know what for but I want one!

Default Frontier stove

I have one and they are an excellent small stove. The chimney can be extended by using exhaust pipe if required (21/4 approx).

It looks brilliant, do I want another stove? One looking that good of course I do!!

They look good. Ive been after a stove for a while now.

Does anyone know how much they weigh?
    Are they airtight?
    Would they be good for a tipi?
    How long they burn?

Cheers
    Last edited by Deeky; 7th-February-2010 at 07:01 PM.

I've done it again - looked at a stove thread and now I want (need) one

That does look a great piece of gear. Please post a review when you get it. The one thing I don't have is a tipi/bell tent stove (OK I don't have the tent either!) and that looks to be a neat size and shape. Is there any air vent control?

Graham

Default Frontier stove

The front hatch has 2 positions, one fully closed (fairly air tight) and one slightly open which gives a level of control. Of course you can keep it fully open and enjoy the view. If you use it in a Tipi ( I do) you will need to extend the chimney pipe (exhaust pipe will do) or leave the top hatch off and use it as a fire box. I have not weighed it but its not heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeky View Post
    Does anyone know how much they weigh?
    Net weight is stated as 10.15 kgs.

A bit more info, here.
    Last edited by helixpteron; 8th-February-2010 at 03:27 AM. Reason: To add info.

Interesting, though I reckon it would be better for having a damper fitted. That way you could close the door and save some fuel.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Frontier stove

It has a damper fitted to the bottom section of the stove pipe.

Just been offered one , but would need to know if a kelly kettle would fit and work over the top opening ?.
    Any idea of the size of the top lid/cap ?.

Default Frontier stove

Quote Originally Posted by dabs View Post
    Just been offered one , but would need to know if a kelly kettle would fit and work over the top opening ?.
    What a good idea my Eydon Kettle (Popular) fits great. The Diameter of the top opening is 5 1/2" (14cm).

If you do that in a tent you'll probably fill it up with smoke.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Interesting comments guys, once it arrives i will be brewing up and cooking tea on it. Also got canoe/camp trip planned on thirlemere at end of month so hopefully will be able to give it a good road test.

Review to follow....................

Thanks Ian for the size, my Kelly in stainless is 6+ inches at the base , so should be ok.
    ( outdoors of tent)that is, good point pieface...

Assume it's normal painted steel, so will rust ? Shouldn't be a problem - just live with it or rub it down and periodically respray with BBQ paint. You will need to make a baffle to stop the pipe burning the tent if you are going to use it in a tipi.

Looks well made and it is a fantastic price given that the nearest tipi stove competitor is over twice as much and not that well made. I want one even though I've already got the Mad Bear stove...

PWC
    PWC

Hi, all

I discovered that I had lots of hits on my website that traced back to here

I am the designer of the Frontier Stove. It was designed for camping solutions and is used by shelterbox in their humanitarian work.

The 'paint' used is of the best quality and whilst it wont last forever you should get good use out of it.

IMO it's a bit heavier than I would have liked but that is what the client wanted.

The reason for the short supply I belive is that the stoves are destined for places like Haiti.

Don't worry, the guy who sells them on eBay is bone fide and has the right to sell them and he's an OK guy.

If you guys wouldn't mind I would like to hear your feedback about this stove, then I can feed that back into my product development file.

Something else that might be of interest to you guys here is the Keebunga. My client had me design him a waterproof case to put a car key in. The development has gone exceprionally well and they should be rolling off the production line in the next five or six weeks. I think the price will be about 20 ish.

Keebunga don't have a live website yet, but that should be up and running very soon. If you like you can email me and I will forward your interest to James.

Cheers

Lloyd

Thanks LLoyd

I hope you dont mind me show casing the product, i was very pleased by it and thought it would appeal to an audience of canoe expeditioners, campers and bushcraft enthusiasts. I'm off to the lakes this weekend and hope to field test it.

Regards

Rob

What tent are you using it with madriver

Hi Lloyd, do you sell spark arresters for the top of the chimney/flue and do you sell extra sections of flue as five feet is a bit short on my needs.

Richard
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

I bought one of these from the Bay, and have given it a short test run.

It is the first time I have used a stove, so am unsure how it compares with others.

I gave it a test run for a couple of hours.

The damper in the first section of the flue, is a piece of disc shaped metal, with a simple lever attached to the outside of the flue to open or close the disc.

The round disc on the working top of the stove, is not completely airtight. But no smoke leaked out of it.

The door can be fully closed or left slightly open, on one of two notches.
    Open its about 3/4 of a cm.

I found I had to leave the stove door on the slightly open notch, and turn the damper lever fully open.

If I closed the door, the fire would die down to the point it was just smoldering embers. Even with the damper fully open.

The flames did draw quite well, toward the back of the stove, with the damper fully open, and the door on the slightly open notch. The smoke went up the chimney in this position. Each chimney section fits together well, but the chimney itself is a bit wobbly, when all four sections are joined together. [Is that usual? Or is the chimney supposed to be rigid?]

Rik. I asked John, the seller on Ebay about buying more flue sections, and he will not have any in until Sept. He does not sell spark arrestors either.

I'll wait for Madriver Bobs review. See if he agrees.

For the money, I like it.

With the door on the slightly open notch, damper open, smoke gets drawn up the chimney, so should be ok in a tipi.

I just need to find about 3 feet of Flue that will fit to the chimney now.
    Last edited by Deeky; 17th-February-2010 at 06:45 PM.

I've got my eye on one in the States, about the same money but the chimney is a lot taller, has a spark arrester but postage really doubles the cost I will buy the American stove but would prefer to buy off a UK supplier, give them a chance to earn a few quid to be honest.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Military-Campi...item1c10213e9b

Almost ten foot of chimney with arrester.
    All the best,
    Richard
    Retired bushcrafter now happy camper

That US stove looks interesting. Shame about the mailing and duty costs.

I've just received my Frontier stove. First impressions are of a well built and nicely designed product. The short chimney and lack of a grid to improve airflow to the base of the fire are the only things that seem to be missing. Tool rack on the side is a neat touch.

Can't see why they've made the chimney so short though as you could easily fit another 1-2 sections in the oven when you are transporting it and 7' barely puts it above head height.

Ian 1633 reckons garden wire stuffed into the top of the chimney works as a spark arrestor so I'm going to give that a go.

Default dimention help please

hi al
    I have purchased a frontier stove and i was hopeing to buy some steel flexy tube to use inbetween two of the flute sections. This is so that i can have a angle on the chiminea alowing the stove to be placed in the midle of my fishing bivy and stil be able to have the chiminea pokeing out the front.

So please if anyone gets the time could you meshure the diamiter of the chiminea sections and let me know.

I was hopeing to purchase the flexy pipe befor the stove is delivered in 4 days so your help would be very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by danylbaldwin View Post
    hi al
    I have purchased a frontier stove and i was hopeing to buy some steel flexy tube to use inbetween two of the flute sections. This is so that i can have a angle on the chiminea alowing the stove to be placed in the midle of my fishing bivy and stil be able to have the chiminea pokeing out the front.

So please if anyone gets the time could you meshure the diamiter of the chiminea sections and let me know.

I was hopeing to purchase the flexy pipe befor the stove is delivered in 4 days so your help would be very much appreciated.
    Each section of flue is a different diameter at either end. 57mm at the top, 52mm at the chamfered base.

Buff: Do you know of a source where it is possible to purchase extra flue that will fit? Thanks.
    Last edited by Deeky; 21st-February-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added a question

Looks like Buff only posted once to find out where all the interest was coming from.
    He's the designer and is interested in feedback so drop him a PM.
    He may be able to put you in touch with the manufacturer for more pipe. Also, tell him that people are interested in them as a tent/tipi stove and they may then supply longer flues as standard.

It was designed for disaster relief situations so it probably never occured to them that there are strange folk who actually go out and live in a tent with a woodburner for fun.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Question extra flue

I,ve just had delivery of my frontiere stove,
    It looks well made and portable enough to carry easily in a canoe ,
    I thought it might have had an internal baffle plate to direct the smoke and flames along the top inner surface towards the door before turning back and up the chimney ,
    and will be giving it a trial this evening ,
    May be it will be more evident why it hasn,t got the baffle then ?
    I thought I read somewhere that car exhaust pipe was the right size to extend the chimney ?
    Perhaps I,m confusing it with some other stove ,
    any body given it a try ?
    Noel

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Rush View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that car exhaust pipe was the right size to extend the chimney ?
    Perhaps I,m confusing it with some other stove
    No you are not going mad, posted a bit higher up

Quote Originally Posted by Ian1633 View Post
    I have one and they are an excellent small stove. The chimney can be extended by using exhaust pipe if required (21/4 approx).
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Red face Exhaust pipe

Thanks JoeFord,
    Yes I did read it somewhere ??
    (Just a senior moment !)

Anyway.... I gave the stove a tryout last night ,
    It performed well,
    I dont really think this stove needs a baffle plate ,( see post above)
    and if one were fitted, it would seriously restrict the space available for fuel,
    The fuel does have to be small logs/sticks to fit through the door,
    The stove got very hot and was fairly economical with the fuel (wood),
    When the chimney damper was closed there was some leakage of smoke from the pivot holes A problem if the stove is fitted in a tent ,but just a small opening of the damper solved the problem,
    I dont suppose there would be reason to close the vent completely , exept in a gale ?
    and then there would probably be sufficient draw to prevent leakage anyway ?
    When the stve had been burning for a couple of hours and had a good base of hot ash , I placed a few logs on there and closed the door completely ,
    It was still in and smouldering well two and a half hours later when I went to bed ,
    at a guess I,d say it had another few hours left to go ,
    So would be able to keep a tent warm for perhaps five hours on one fill ,
    It did however produce quite a bit of wood smoke on this slow burn setting,!
    with the door on the "just open" setting ,
    The stove burns well and the smoke is then minimal,
    The burn time will of course be quicker then !
    on balance I,m very pleased with this stove and for the price it would be hard to beat it ,
    I,ve yet to try to cook a meal on it, but from this last trial I,m optimistic it will perform well ,
    this stove will probably have a cooking ability that will exceed my own basic ability
    Just the job ,
    I,ll now be getting a kit to fit the chimney through the tent roof ,
    I,ll give details when thats done and maybe even a photo !
    if I can get some one to help with the technical computer/photo stuff
    Noel
    Last edited by Nomad Rush; 22nd-February-2010 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad Rush View Post

I,ll now be getting a kit to fit the chimney through the tent roof ,
    I,ll give details when thats done and maybe even a photo !
    if I can get some one to help with the technical computer/photo stuff
    Noel
    Let us know where you get the kit from./ Im still looking for a couple of pieces of flue, or chimney, similiar size and weight to that provided.

Just bought one of these off Ebay for 80.00 and looking forward to it arriving. Already thinking about a Bell Tent.

Found this on ebay might be of use to extend the flue as the pipes are 52mm and 57mm and they have reducers, connectors etc.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exhaust-Connec...item335a49654c

Hi Folks,

Thought I would just try to shead some light on the Frontier stove for you if I can.

I designed the stove for Camping Solutions Ltd (The guy on eBay is the MD/Owner). The stove has been specifically designed to meet the needs of a charity organisation that provides shelter and cooking facilities in the event of natural disasters etc. some 3000 of these stoves recently left for Haiti.

The reason there is no availability of flue pipe is that only enough are made to supply with each stove and at a height that fits with the tent used by the aid organisation.

The chimney does have an inherant lack of rigidity due to reasons of keeping cost of manufacture to a minimum. A taper fitting would have been more costly to produce but a better fit.

If you wish I can supply a drawing for the flue so you can get one (or any number you like) made to the correct dimensions.

There is no spark arrestor available, but I do have drawings for one. It's just a simple mesh design and had intended to have a plastic ring* that would be pressedinto the tent fabric and trapping it. The center would then be cut out leaving a neat finish to the hole and space around the hot flue (can reach 70+ degrees in parts). There then fitted an overlapping cuff to stop water comming into the tent. Cost again prevented it going into production.

There are also two designs for demountable water tanks that never made production either. One fitting around the chimney (doesn't boil) and one sitting along the front resting on the tool rail (does boil). Both would hold 3 liters of water and have a small tap and filler neck.

I have drawings for these too and a poker/'wok burner cover' (the removeable disc) handle.

The stove has been designed to be very ecconomical with fuel and with the door and damper closed (there is a 5mm gap to prevent accidental choking) the stove will make charcoal.

The small leak around the damper will eventualy stop as soot builds up. Due to the end user requirement for very simple maintainence and low cost of purchase by the charity, it was decided that a mechanical seal was not required.

The stove is quite heavy at 10kg but again the charity specified a 'utilitarian feel' so the plate thicknesses where incresed.

A hearth plate is not required and would have only a short life span before buring out due to the heat.

The 'paint' finish is a top quality specification, but will eventually deteriorate as with anything producing so much heat.

If I can help further jus drop me a line

Cheers

Lloyd (Buff Design)

* I could supply a CAD file for 3D printing this part or even get it done via the local university rapid prototye department
    Last edited by Buff; 23rd-February-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Default Stove wanted

Hi all, does anyone know how I can get hold of one of these stoves (suppliers etc). They look exactly what I'm after and missed out on the last two on E-bay recently, any help greatly apreciated.
    Cheers ,Simon

Hi Simon,

The supplier is Camping Solutions Ltd but they don't actually sell them to public as such. The MD sold a few surplus off on eBay. AFAIK they are now completley out of stock as the last lot went to Haiti.

More I belive are on order (10,000 I think) and are due in September. Best keep an eye out on eBay for more surplus. Sory I can't be more help than that.

Cheers

Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Hi Simon,

The supplier is Camping Solutions Ltd but they don't actually sell them to public as such. The MD sold a few surplus off on eBay. AFAIK they are now completley out of stock as the last lot went to Haiti.

More I belive are on order (10,000 I think) and are due in September. Best keep an eye out on eBay for more surplus. Sory I can't be more help than that.

Cheers

Lloyd
    Cheers for that Lloyd,I'll keep an eye on E-bay like u say.

Simon

They are still listed on E Bay, I got one yesterday on a make offer deal.
    Its good to hear from the designer, there could be a good market for these on all canoe/camping sites as seen here..
    Great product..

They are still listed on E Bay, I got one yesterday on a make offer deal.
    Its good to hear from the designer, there could be a good market for these on all canoe/camping sites as seen here..
    Great product..
    HI
    I did the same with an offer of 70 and got it.

Has anyone found away of putting the chimney through a bell tent yet? I have ordered a fire blanket to try, but just thought there might be a better way, before I start cutting holes .

Pete
    We no nah fink

Excited I just found and ordered one of these http://www.fluesystems.com/flashings...tite_round.htm Cost just over a tenner

I called the chap, who tells me others use them in Yurts so they should work fine.

Warm nights in a tent here we come. I'll let you know how I get on.

Pete
    We no nah fink

Has anyone found an easy solution to the flue question ? I'm planning to make one or get a blacksmith to make one. Anyone found one commercially available that fits ? With a heat baffle ?

PWC
    PWC

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Hi Folks,

The reason there is no availability of flue pipe is that only enough are made to supply with each stove and at a height that fits with the tent used by the aid organisation.

The chimney does have an inherant lack of rigidity due to reasons of keeping cost of manufacture to a minimum. A taper fitting would have been more costly to produce but a better fit.

If you wish I can supply a drawing for the flue so you can get one (or any number you like) made to the correct dimensions.

Hi Lloyd. I have sent you a couple of PM's requesting the drawings for the flue, so I can have a couple of sections of chimney made. Are you still around mate?

me too, sent pm but no reply

Default Test

Fired mine up today useing firelighters and kindling just to start me off. It warmed up loverly and after a shortish period where the paint cured with the heat (smelly), then it was loverly and warm.
    I fiited my new SS Kelly kettle on over the cook plate opening and closeing the flu off to aid the chimney effect, It soon boiled up,
    I then fire up the Kettle on its base and was amazed how fast it boiled up again (new cold water), you could hear it working with the flu effect and water heatup etc.
    The stove does seem to work better with the flu open and the door ajar by a inch or more, Its great to see the fire working as well.
    I am well please with it

My local blacksmith is up for making additional flue sections, heat baffle and spark arrester. I will keep everyone updated

PWC
    PWC

Default Extra plate.

There is one thing that I found in the box that eludes me?, and that is a curved plate which I can`t see where it goes, (no instruction supplied), Any Idears

it slots in at the front just below the door to catch any embers that fall out. there are 2 slots on the underside that the fins slot into.

interested in the blacksmiths details pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    My local blacksmith is up for making additional flue sections, heat baffle and spark arrester. I will keep everyone updated

PWC

Thanks for the quick reply, why didn`t the pictures show the "catcher" fitted ??.
    I will try this later. Geoff.

Default Hot night

A couple of pics of mine inside my Bell tent. Works very well, even with the door shut it was warm inside (using coal) . I will have to get use to the heat though. When you stand up its very warm nearer the top of the tent (to hot).

We no nah fink

Blacksmith wanted 140 to fabricate the relevant parts so no go PWC
    PWC

61 mm x 2 meters flexi exhaust pipe for 31 done the trick for me. Bought at most motorist shops. I had a pipe made for 20 but it wasn't quite at the right angle.

Pete
    We no nah fink

Got some sections of flue pipe made up by midland exhaust on ebay, 2 400mm sections to extend the pipe and a shorter 150mm section that I am planning on putting a rain cap on and some mesh to create a spark arrestor. Inc p&p 29.89 for the 3 sections and they all fit inside the stove for transporting. made up of 2.25" stainless steel pipe with one end expanded so they slot together.

Last edited by Big Rab; 19th-March-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Looks like youve solved the problem Big Rab!

Are those sections just straight off the shelf then?

Have you had a fire in it? Any smoke seeping out?

Cheers

dave
    Last edited by KeithD; 20th-March-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary copy of earlier post

No they are not a stock part I had to buy a 1 metre lenght of 2.25" pipe to cover the 2 400mm sections and also bought a small reducer to cover the 150mm section. All that I asked for was one end of each section to be expanded so it would fit over 2.25" pipe.

Haven't lit it yet with the new sections but don't expect any problems as they are a good fit.

I called them and talked to them before I bought anything their number is 01922 623372.

this is what I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-25-57mm-T304...item3efd9ed0ad

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Way-exhaust-...item414dfb9341

These are the instructions I gave along with my Paypal payment:

2.25" pipe 2 sections 40cm one end on each section enlarged to fit over 2.25" pipe.
    2.25" pipe 15cm one end enlarged to fit over 2.25" pipe.

The total cost including postage and packing was 29.89

Brilliant. Cheers Adrian. Just ordered the same as yours.

Many Thanks.
    Dave.

Hi
    This weekend we camped Friday to Sunday using a frontier stove. In the early hours of Saturday morning the tent filled with smoke. Not so bad as to cause harm but bad enough. On inspection the flue was blocked with soot (the flue butterfly had been fully open). I was very surprised, as we had been burning coal through the night and started the fire with dry cut off's from some 4 x 2 I had in the shed.
    After cleaning it out and re lighting it worked fine but from then on we loaded it with a lot less coal, and kept an eye on it. Before Saturday night I cleaned the flue again.

On a good not the stove stayed hot for 5 hours + (with the flue clear) and cooking on it was great.

I'm now looking for a pipe to make the flue bigger.

Pete

PS the flue we were using was three of the std sections and 1.5 metes of flexi pipe on top. There was a 30 degree s bend in the flexi pipe.
    Last edited by tisme; 22nd-March-2010 at 08:59 AM.
    We no nah fink

Just managed to get time today to fit together the bell tent, dektite and frontier stove

I bought 2 dektite 202. So I could cut one down to make a large washer on the inside so the canvas of the tent could be sandwiched between the outside flashing and the inside washer

Positioned the stove inside the tent and fitted the gasket

Bolted the outside the flashing and inside washer through the canvas with 6 bolts

Outside flashing put silicone in between flashing and canvas

I didn't cut a hole in the canvas until I had fitted the flashing

Flue into postion through the flashing

Flue on the outside

Stove in position

Don't know what happened to the next picture but the stove worked great no leaks in the new sections of flue

Only thing left to do is make up a spark arrestor and possibilly fit a rain cap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast