Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muck boots, Any thoughts?

Default Muck boots, Any thoughts?

I usually wear wellies, thick socks and waterproof trousers over the top.
    This is fine untill the water goes into the wellies and from then on it varies depending on how much goes in from uncomfortable to plain freezing agony. (I do paddle all year round) I understand muckboots are warm when dry or wet inside. Does the seal round the top hold out the water for a breif dunking. how quick do they dry once wet inside They're pricey (but crimbo is on the way) so comments good or bad are all welcomed.
    Cheers,
    Paul.

Thumbs up personal experience

I bought a pair of Muckboot Tack's a few months back. They are designed for
    horsey folk I believe and are not quite as clumpy as the normal muckboot wellie.

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/products/TKH-000M

They are excellent, I got mine totally soaked a few weeks back and had no idea I had wet feet, until I removed my boots when I got home and couldn't believe the amount of steam coming from them!.

The Tack may not be as grippy as a standard wellie type,I guess the chunkier sole units might be better suited to river/lake banks.

I'm not certain about the tops being waterproof as such, all I know is they are VERY comfortable, not heavy and worth every penny.

Cheers
    Steve
    If you're thinking about buying a boat and getting into Canoeing, seek some professional coaching

Question Re Muckboots

Not heard of these ?
    What are muckboots ?
    Have you got a photo or link ?
    Cheers Noel

By the time I posted , the above post with link had appeared !
    Thanks
    Last edited by Nomad Rush; 19th-November-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: I was given the answer before I could ask the question !

Journal Entries

Do a search for muck boot review for more info.

Does the seal round the top hold out the water for a breif dunking. how quick do they dry once wet inside
    It's not really a seal so it's not very tight and will let water in if dunked. Once the water is in, your socks and trews will be wet so they will take the time to dry and this depends on what you're wearing. The trick is to wear stuff that is reasonably warm even when wet, the neoprene helps raise the temp a bit and eventually you won't notice they're damp.

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

You really should have more faith in this website, most of the answers to any question can be found by using the search facility.

But to save you any trouble here's a link
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

What's the sizing like on them? I vary between size 8 to 8 1/2 and 9 depending on the brand/manufacturer. How do muck boots compare in that respect?

Ordinarily I like to try footwear on before I buy but I may have to mail order them. I haven't been able to find anywhere that stocks them back home in Devon for when I go back home at xmas, that's surprising considering how rural most of it is. Maybe the shops that stock them are so rural they don't have a website

Journal Entries

I'm a 9 and found a 9 to be almost bob on, maybe a slight tad big but with wool socks they're almost perfect, a little big is good so you can wiggle your toes

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by paulsmith View Post
    I usually wear wellies, thick socks and waterproof trousers over the top.
    This is fine untill the water goes into the wellies and from then on it varies depending on how much goes in from uncomfortable to plain freezing agony. (I do paddle all year round) I understand muckboots are warm when dry or wet inside. Does the seal round the top hold out the water for a breif dunking. how quick do they dry once wet inside They're pricey (but crimbo is on the way) so comments good or bad are all welcomed.
    Cheers,
    Paul.
    I took a swim on day 1 of a 3-4 day trip back in summer in Scotland wearing Muck Boots. I slipped on a rock while lining my boat and slid into the river. Jumped back out pretty damn quick but they were full of water, so yes they do let water just like an ordinary wellie. They don't dry very quick. They only got dry by day 3 when it got really sunny. However I had warm feet the whole time, if a little damp. I was wearing wool socks.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

I have read the review of these but would like to ask if anyone has trouble kneeling down getting these boots under the seat. My size 11 feet have trouble in normal boots.
    Ta

Pete
    We no nah fink

Journal Entries

I don't, your footage may vary Still get stiff knees after a long paddle but that's cos I'm old

C'mon you other muckbooteers chip in

Cheers,

Alan

PS one thing to check is how far the rubber goes up the neoprene leg on the model you fancy, this is obviously less flexible.
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 19th-November-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added PS
    Cheers,

Alan

There was a similar thread on the Black Sheep Paddlers a month or so ago. I opted for Muckboot Trent's - they have a more flexible sole which I find useful when kneeling - can get my feet under the kneeling thwart.

I got mine from Easy-Wellies (47.44).

Biff
    'I can gather all the news I need on the weather report...'

I got a pair of green Ribble Muck Boots - on Ebay.

Shorter in the leg - too short if you're fussy about getting overtopped.

Very squelchy when wet and noisy with it.

Very comfy and good for protecting drysuit socks.

Also - makes me look even more like SHREK .

Still first choice for canoeing though.
    Last edited by barelyafloat; 19th-November-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Default muck boots

Do muck boots have any metal in the sole.
    Thing is i bought a good pair of wellies for going in the canoe but after about 3 months a bit of metal poked out from the sole.
    I can only think that it was stressed by my foot position while using a kneeling thwart think Mk and Warthog 1981 use these boots wonder if they find the ok to kneel with.
    Soloman
    It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
    Jerome.K.Jerome

I dont think mine have a metal shank, I'm nearly sure its a rubber reinforcement/support. I've not had any bother kneeling, so far anyway.

cheers
    Steve
    If you're thinking about buying a boat and getting into Canoeing, seek some professional coaching

Journal Entries

Don't think mine do either

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Col m,
    I live in North Devon and also can't seem to find a local stockist. I reckon it's because ours are real farmers who still hold their trousers up with bailer twine, good old Dunlops are proper job for them. neoprene is for them upcountry softie toffs. (only joking) Mole valley farmers usually carry this sort of stuff but no look there either. I've just emailed Muckboots to ask for a stockist list. I'll get back
    Cheers
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by tisme View Post
    I have read the review of these but would like to ask if anyone has trouble kneeling down getting these boots under the seat. My size 11 feet have trouble in normal boots.
    Ta

Pete
    Yes I do, mine are size 10 or 11 I forget exactly. I can get them under the seat to kneel, but I can't do it for long periods of time. If a trip will require extended kneeling then I choose some other footwear. Out of choice I will sit in the boat when wearing them and only kneel if conditions demand it.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

DOH just about to order some. So what else do you lot wear while kneeling in a canoe?
    We no nah fink

Col m,
    I live in North Devon and also can't seem to find a local stockist. I reckon it's because ours are real farmers who still hold their trousers up with bailer twine, good old Dunlops are proper job for them. neoprene is for them upcountry softie toffs. (only joking) Mole valley farmers usually carry this sort of stuff but no look there either. I've just emailed Muckboots to ask for a stockist list. I'll get back
    Cheers
    paul
    Thanks Paul, that'd be spot on.
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by tisme View Post
    DOH just about to order some. So what else do you lot wear while kneeling in a canoe?
    I have Keen Hood River boots - review

Lloyd rates these highly on his website - fair price, but not sure about fitting under your kneeling thwart:

http://www.rigtechnology.co.uk/detail.aspx?intP_ID=537

Regarding the flexibility of the soles. The soft standard cheapo wellies I use now have no stiffening in the sole or instep so when I kneel and sit on my heels, the toes bend and cut circulation. I once used some 'firemans wellies' with toecaps a thick sole with a steel instep (for standing on ladder rungs) whilst they were heavy and unsuitable for canoeing when kneeling and sitting back on the heels it was like having a kneeling thwart as the soles stayed straight, so no bent toes. I can't get my size 11s under the seat but paddling solo near the centre of the boat they don't go back that far anyway so for me it's not an issue. So how do the muckboots shape up in the sole area. I'd rather stay under the 50 barrier so that limits the range available.
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Lloyd rates these highly on his website - fair price, but not sure about fitting under your kneeling thwart:

http://www.rigtechnology.co.uk/detail.aspx?intP_ID=537
    These are very similar to NRS workboots, but cheaper. NRS are brilliant in and out of the water in a kayak or canoe. They are nowhere near as clunky as the look. I managed to get a pair for 20 on eBay, but I haven't seen cheap ones since.

http://www.waterantics.co.uk/product...hp?item_id=216

I got these http://www.easy-wellies.co.uk/muddie....html?cPath=88

Nice and warm and a snug fit. less than 40 and do the same job as Muckboots.

Blott

Col m,
    Cheers
    paul

I got mine at our local Farmways shop at Hexham
    Steve

Default muck boots sizing

i'm usually an EU size 43 which would be a UK size 81/2 or 9. to be on the safe side i got my muck boots in 10. they are a bit large but with some thick socks they're ok. next time, however, i'd get a 9. i think they're sizing is pretty accurate, no need to get them larger than usual.

mine are the 'tay' which have a thicker sole but there is no steel in them. they are stiff enough for walking and i find them ok for kneeling but then i also kneel in hiking boots...

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    I'm a 9 and found a 9 to be almost bob on, maybe a slight tad big but with wool socks they're almost perfect, a little big is good so you can wiggle your toes

Cheers,

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by lowlander
    i'm usually an EU size 43 which would be a UK size 81/2 or 9. to be on the safe side i got my muck boots in 10. they are a bit large but with some thick socks they're ok. next time, however, i'd get a 9. i think they're sizing is pretty accurate, no need to get them larger than usual.
    That's perfect thanks guys, it may well come in useful.

I have a pair of these, also the Tack Model. I chose these because I rather don’t have those heavy soles for canoeing because they bring in so much mud in the canoe. The Tack’s don’t bring in the mud but are better on solid ground or hard rocks where the heavy soles will work better for keeping your footage in the mud and other dirty soft stuff. I find them very good and they give me a solid footing in most terrain, the diamond-like profile does shed it’s dirt very easy indeed.

They are rather well stiffened all around so don’t bend very well, mine are size 9 and do fit under the seat but just and at an angle so not very comfortable, can imagine the size 11 to be even more of a problem.

Second point of critic is that the soles seem to be very fast wearing. Mine are only a year old but the wear is already well visible, shouldn’t wear them while driving or on pavement for they seem too soft for that but that’s probably why they work so well “off-road”
    Last edited by Koen; 20th-November-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: grammer and spelling

I have the Tay Muckboots with a strong walking boot-like sole. I wear them for all my rough shooting and they are brilliant - very warm, even when wet and much better than the leather-lined Gucci boots worn by many of my fellow shooters.

I have never worn them for canoeing, because they have a heavy sole and would be hard to kneel in, preferring neoprene Mukluks, which are more flexible, DO have a good neoprene seal around the top and will survive a quick dunking.

I found the sizing comes up slightly large by half a size or so.

PWC
    PWC

Just a small point regarding neoprene boots.

There is little point wearing thick socks on your feet. You wouldn't wear thick clothes under a wet suit would you?

I wear a thin pair of nylon socks which can be washed and dried quite easily.
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post

There is little point wearing thick socks on your feet. You wouldn't wear thick clothes under a wet suit would you?

The neoprene mukluks and muckboots folks have been talking about are tall and waterproof so your feet stay dry

PWC
    PWC

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Quote Originally Posted by David Perry View Post

Umm.. yes - I often wear thicker clothes than a rash-vest under a wet-suit - e.g. a fleece - if it's cold. But so far have just worn ordinary 'street socks' under my neoprene wellies while paddling and been warm enough. HOWEVER I haven't used them yet when it's been COLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    The neoprene mukluks and muckboots folks have been talking about are tall and waterproof so your feet stay dry.
    Unless you wade in water deeper than the length of your boots, or fall in
    Last edited by Fran; 21st-November-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Fran

I have had a pair of Muckboot Torray's for a couple of years and love them. Great for the canoe in cold weather, for walking and just about anything you would want to wear them for
    Owners Club.

Thanks for the amazing response folks.
    There doesn't seem to be any supplier in my area (North Devon) apart from Mole valley farmers, who carry just the Tack in 'ladies sizes' only, so I can only go off what I've managed to glean from the web. But given my budget of under 50 It seems to be a choice between Derwent, these seem a bit heavy/chunky. Tack, designed for having a horse step on your foot. or Tweed, maybe the soles not so good in slippy mud. I'm leaning towards the Tweed at the moment. Feet fitting under the seat is not an issue, so that doesn't come into it. I tend to need wider fitting footwear but size 11 hiking boots, normal wellies, work boots etc seem to fit ok as they're usually a generous fit. I'm assuming that size 11 muckboots would be ok. Any comments on width of fit? Any downsides to the Tweed model.
    Sorry for all the questions,
    Cheers,
    Paul.

I've just been given a pair of Trents for my birthday and can't recommend them highly enough. I have used Chota Mukluk's, 5:10 Canyoneers, wet shoes, trainers, neoprene socks and despite my initial reticence these are far and above the best paddling boots I have found. The tread on the Trent is ideal for bending when kneeling, offers plenty of grip and sheds mud easily. They are warm and when damp you hardly notice any difference. I would probably be concerned over the tread on the Tack when negotiating rough/ muddy ground. As for sizing they do ere on the large size I am a size 9-9.5 sometimes a 10 but the muckboots are a 9 and they still have room after wearing thick socks so would suggest going for your usual size.

Default Are they warm?

I bought a pair of muck boots or something similar following some interesting threads on the subject on this site some 3 years ago. I wanted a bomb proof boot, capable of working in freezing conditions. Trish and myself used them in these sort of conditions on The Barrens in Northwest Territories, Canada. I wore ordinary socks underneath and they were warm. In fact using them for exploring away for the river my feet were too warm.

Canoeing the Thelon
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.com/

Journal Entries

Any comments on width of fit?
    Width is quite generous and remember under distance selling rules you can always send them back, a pain but better than wasting cash.

Cheers,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Do any of you have muckboot Tweed boots? How do you find the tread on slippy mud? they appear from pics to have a fairly fine tread. I'm torn between these and the Derwent model. It seems that the Tweed is to be withdrawn from the range and they are selling a bit cheaper in a few places but with limited stocks.

I've been using sandals and trainers all year, up to now. Yesterday, got to try my new muckboots and for the first time ever i had Warm dry feet! Same goes for my partner, and believe me that's saying something!
    Worth every penny, or pound for that matter!
    "the river flows, flows to the sea, wherever that river goes, that's where i want to be"- the Byrds

I just sent back a pair of tay sports because they were too narrow and the neoprene leg bit too tight despite the length being ok with toe wiggle room. The whole boot in fact was the wrong cut for me. I'd also tried them in my boat and boy it felt uncomfortable with the ankle articulation. shame really, they look well made, but definitely not right for me.

Tried my new Muckboots today bought online from 'garden 4 less' (decided to go for Derwents) So far I'm very impressed, they got a bit wet inside today but I wasn't aware they were wet until I took them off. The weather is still mild so can't comment on warmth but they were very cosy when wading in cold water. Thanks all for the helpfull replies to the original post.
    Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paulsmith; 5th-December-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: typo

Default scotland muck boot stockist ?

Any one know off stores stocking muck boots in central belt scotland where i can try them on ?

Journal Entries

Waaaaay back in the summer (that one day at the end of may, you remember it!!) I was in out local garden centre and they had a very limited stock. I'll try and spin by tomorrow on the way home and see what they have.

Cheers,

Alan
    Last edited by Chainsaw; 25th-January-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: snipping repeated drivel....
    Cheers,

Alan

Waaaaay back in the summer (that one day at the end of may, you remember it!!) I was in out local garden centre and they had a very limited stock. I'll try and spin by tomorrow on the way home and see what they have.

Cheers,

Alan
    Thanks that would be helpfull . Ian

I have had a pair for about two years. They are great for launching your composite canoe off a shingle/stone beach. They stay warm when wet. They are warm generally. There is enough flexibility to stuff your feet under most canoe seats without feeling that your feet will remain there.
    Once wet within, they take a lot of drying out, so I would probably not use them for an extended trip where there was a possibility of immersion above the boot.
    The sole has fallen off my left boot. I have tried various glues to no avail. I might see if my local cobler can stick a couple of vibram type soles onto them. The tread wears quite quickly. The neoprene is of a nature to get snagged on brambles etc, although the damage seems only superficial.
    As usual, I might just be expecting too much.
    If I was feeling more financially disposed, I would probobly purchase another pair.
    But I'm not......Oh well,
    Richard.
    What a long strange trip its been.......

Journal Entries

Ok popped in to the above garden centre and they have;

Derwents in 5, 6, 9, 12 for 59
    Tay in 9 and 10 for 79
    and a Tack I think in a 4 or 5 or something...

I tried the tays and derwents on in a 9 and they both fitted pretty much the same.

Hope this helps,

Alan
    Cheers,

Alan

Default Cheers

Ok popped in to the above garden centre and they have;

Derwents in 5, 6, 9, 12 for 59
    Tay in 9 and 10 for 79
    and a Tack I think in a 4 or 5 or something...

I tried the tays and derwents on in a 9 and they both fitted pretty much the same.

Hope this helps,

Alan
    Thanks chainsaw thats exactly the info i was looking for. Very good of you to spare the time to check and post. This really shows the value and the helpfull nature of sotp. & its paddlers .
    Cheers mate ! Sinbad.

I'm in the UK and I bought my first pair of Muck Boots two years ago, at first I was pleased with them but after 10 months they leaked. They exchanged them for me and after 11 months the second pair leaked around the toe area. Snag is I can't find my proof of purchase. GRRRR!

Quote Originally Posted by zimmany View Post
    ...Snag is I can't find my proof of purchase. GRRRR!
    Next time, just screw the tag to the sole. Guaranteed not to lose it then, mind, they may leak a bit.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I bought a pair of these "dirt boots" a few weeks ago for walking the dog and canoeing. Obviously they're trying to imitate muck boots but for the money, I've been happy with them so far. Got their first canoeing test on Castle Semple Loch yesterday including plenty of time kneeling while ice breaking and negotiating the river.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005R2R3CY

Like most wellies, they're big for their size. I'm normally 9.5 - 10 but took a 9 in these (I had to exchange the 10 I originally ordered).

Pete.

I have recently replaced my Tays after I wore the first pair out (5 years' hard use). They are still superbly warm, but if anything I find them rather sweaty - far more so than the old ones - and therefore only wearable when it is cold. I don't know what they have changed, but they are just not as good.
    PWC

There are loads of "mukkers" around in the horse world now, Although the original ones were a rubber bottom with a leather top and only ankle height,also the Bridgedale lined boots which were warm but only ankle height.
    Now they seem to be based on the "muck boot" style. My friend was looking at these from derbyhouse.co.uk . Just Togs -Mudrucker tall @ 58.95.

Quote Originally Posted by Teuchter View Post
    I bought a pair of these "dirt boots" a few weeks ago for walking the dog and canoeing. Obviously they're trying to imitate muck boots but for the money, I've been happy with them so far. Got their first canoeing test on Castle Semple Loch yesterday including plenty of time kneeling while ice breaking and negotiating the river.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005R2R3CY

Like most wellies, they're big for their size. I'm normally 9.5 - 10 but took a 9 in these (I had to exchange the 10 I originally ordered).

Pete.
    Thanks for the link Pete,
    They're an excellent price compared to 'the real thing' what we need is a test report, ideally by someone who's also used muckboots to get an accurate comparison.
    Paul
    Just goin with the flow

Paddling in the summer, I have always gone barefoot, or worn running shoes (trainers, I think you call them) and not worried about getting wet.
    But paddling in the off-season, wet feet mean cold feet, and cold feet can ruin your day. The other aspect of rubber boots that appeals to me is that by being able to step into ankle deep water, I'll avoid some of the hull grinding on the beach that happens when you launch or land. Afterall, I don't want to scratch up the new boat. At least not yet.

So I was interested in this thread on "Muck Boots". I have never heard of them. All I'm familiar with are gum boots (otherwise called wellies)

I googled and found "The Original Muck Boot Company". What a surprise! Not only that, being reluctant to purchase footwear without trying it on first, I searched further and found a local farm supply depot that carries real "Muck Boots" close to town.

You never know, I may be sporting the latest in English Canoeing apparel in the new year.

muckboot 'trents' have been on my feet for a week of dog walking so far.
    warm, comfortable etc
    flex well due to ridge pattern on sole yet seen to have plenty of thickness to ridged part of sole
    so far, well pleased
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by skilsaw View Post

You never know, I may be sporting the latest in English Canoeing apparel in the new year.
    Sounds like you will be "cutting a dash" in the colonies then.

Rob

Thanks for the link Pete,
    They're an excellent price compared to 'the real thing' what we need is a test report, ideally by someone who's also used muckboots to get an accurate comparison.
    Paul
    Yes. They look good. Only seem to be two sizes offered, though. Maybe they're waiting for more stocks.

Ian

Hi all just thought id add my tuppence!
    I bought a pair of Muckboot Derwents at the end of November.I have only used them for dog walking so far and dont think i have walked that far in a month but the heel tread is already well worn down. The tread was not deep to begin with but i expected it to be a bit harder wearing than it has been.
    Apart from that they are really comfy and warm and the fit is good.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert View Post
    Hi all just thought id add my tuppence!
    I bought a pair of Muckboot Derwents at the end of November.I have only used them for dog walking so far and dont think i have walked that far in a month but the heel tread is already well worn down. The tread was not deep to begin with but i expected it to be a bit harder wearing than it has been.
    Apart from that they are really comfy and warm and the fit is good.
    After starting this thread way back in 2009 and reviewing all the replies I also decided on a pair of Derwents. I do agree that the soles are very soft and whilst this does make them incredibly comfy, and one can walk without making any sound (if you should need to, maybe hunting/stalking) The soles have lost a lot of grip even though they have not been used for extensive walking. Mainly from the van to the water and back and so on. I wanted two pairs. One winter pair for when wearing a drysuit with sewn in feet and thick socks, and a summer pair (the Derwents already purchased) I was unable to find any and eventually bought some Buckboots from the local farm suppliers. They're no cheap imitation either. Same Neoprene construction as Muckboots but more robustly built with a much tougher sole. They are a bit heavier than Muckboots and much the same price so no saving on cost. These have had around the same use as the Muckboots but show almost no wear. Well worth seeking out as an alternative. (I do still love my muckboots though)

Paul.
    Just goin with the flow

Just done a search for Buckboots and all I can find are people selling cowboy boots.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast