Thread: Selway Fisher - Discontinued / Other

Default Selway Fisher - Discontinued / Other

Please add any reviews for older (or brand new) models not covered elsewhere for this manufacturer.

Default Kate

I made one of these for the kids, ignore the suggested time to build one, it took ages! but i got a superb little canoe out of it for my two small (at the time ) kids it tracked really well which was good for the little people and is as light as a feather well worth the effort, just dont imagine that it will take a 6 foot adult i can confirm that it doesnt!

I've got one of these. I am six foot and this is probably pushing the boat's capacity as far as it will go. Upsides - she weighs very little - about 12 kilos - so portages really aren't a problem. Mine lives on a shelf in the garage. I just stick it on my shoulder, walk down the road and pop her into the canal. Short of living in a boat house, this is pretty much the ultimate non faff get on the water experience.

Tracking isn't an issue. Where it falls down is stability. Every time I've tried kneeling, I've taken a swim. If you want a boat that is very little fuss and cheap this could be worth considering. I use mine on the canal and local rivers. Neither the Leam nor the Avon are white water destinations so for a quick morning's paddle so tippiness apart, it is a really cheap way to get on the water. I got mine off ebay for about 120. I'm sufficiently impressed with the boat to consider making something larger and better suited to day trips or longer.

What I notice is that much of what you see on forums talks in endless detail about the ins and outs of the actual building the boats but practically nothing about how they are to use on the water. Is this is because many of the people building wooden boats just like projects and see learning to paddle after as the next project or are they just like messing around with wood and making something beautiful? I am not quite sure. I wonder how much real use many of these boats get.
    Last edited by cirrus; 31st-March-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: clarification

I picked up a SF Pete 16ft that was half done. Sure I have had great fun in "fitting out", but even more fun using it or seeing it in action. It's a bit weighty and the v-hull means initial stability is a bit rocky, but once on the water secondary stability is good. It's great in a straight line and shifts at a fair lick - even into a headwind, but you wouldn't want to take it down narrow streams or white water as turning takes a bit of effort, even when heeled over, and there's not much freeboard (too many pies?). The design errs towards sailing, and I can't wait to get a rig on it and get it flying - I imagine it'll be fairly lively! I'm lucky enough to live in Scotland, so it'll be a good boat for the freshwater lochs, but for any of the river routes may call for a portage and a trolley is a must.

As purchased with "bag of bits" scattered on floor below. Blunted rear end ready for a rudder to go sailing!

Last edited by thwartsandall; 8th-January-2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Text

First sea trial. Thwart broke carrying it to the river but at least it floated. Apologies to fellow SOTPers for to double blade. Quickly remedied!

Rear seat fitted. All measurements by eye. Found out later I had a squint................... ;-(

Front seat fitted. Short lived after complaints of lack of legroom from crew.

Paddle - laminated Sugar Island. I fell in love with wood making this.

Outfitting complete. Just add water.

Help! The tide has gone out!!

Full sea trials on the Dee above Inverurie, November 2012. Just need a sailing rig on her!

She's been used on flat water a few times now, but I wait until there's plenty of water in the river before venturing onto moving water. Front seat will be replaced and moved further back. Sail thwart will go about a foot behind the "tea tray" handle. Accumulating sailing rig slowly - I got a lovely wooden dinghy kick up rudder of ebay, and have plans for lee board and sail. Think a lateen rig with jib will do the business. Learning to sew a sail will be my biggest test, thankfully father-in-law mad about vintage Singer sewing machines! With inspiration and encouragement from the likes of No Idea, Steamerpoint, Big H and the rest of the SOTP community you never feel like you're on your own on a project. Cheers guys!
    Last edited by thwartsandall; 8th-January-2014 at 02:10 AM. Reason: More text and images