Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inflatables - Discontinued / Others

Default Unable to PM

Quote Originally Posted by EStreeter04 View Post
    Hello there
    I'm in the process of deciding which inflatable kayak to buy and the 2 which interest me most are the Sea Eagle Fast Track 385 and the Advanced Elements Advanced Frame convertible. As it seems you may have experience of both should be grateful for your thoughts on each of these. I plan to use mine solo and tandem, and on rivers, lakes and coastal as my experience increases.
    Thanks in anticipation!
    I tried to send a PM about your query regarding the Sea Eagle and the Advanced Elements but SOTP wont let me. No idea why. It's one of the reasons I don't bother to even look at SOTP anymore. But you asked for help and I have attatched the contents of the PM below.
    Hi EStreeter 04,
    I haven't been near this forum for quite some time. To be honest I gave up with it after I tried to post a review with some pictures of the Advanced elements convertible but it wouldn't let me.
    In relation to the inflatables I would go for the Advanced elements almost every time. It is very stable in the water and you feel totally safe at all times. It tracks very well and cuts through the water very easily. I have been on 6+ hour paddles and not been tired at all. In choppy conditions on lochs or on the sea it handles almost as well as most hardcase kayaks I have seen. The Sea Eagle is unstable in windy conditions as it sits very high in the water and it is very easy to find yourself spinning around in circles, unable to control where you want to go. You also feel as though you could easily end up in the water in these conditions.
    Manoeuvrability goes to the Sea Eagle. It is incredibly nimble and can turn so quickly making it great fun on rivers or on calmer days on the lochs. The quality of the workmanship and materials on the Advanced elements is superb, the Sea eagle is obviously a totally different design but the materials and workmanship again are very good.
    The convertible is a bit more fiddly to put up than the sea eagle but not really that much and after a couple of times you can have it from the car to the water in 15 minutes - same time as for the Sea Eagle.

If I can be of any further assistance let me know.

Cheers,

Andy

Advanced Frame kayak everytime for me.

Tried a few inflatables now have the above and never looked back.

Question Wild Adventure K2 Explorer VS. Sea Eagle 330

Hey, I'm new here (and new to paddling) but I have been researching for WEEKS regarding inflatable kayaks. Anyway, I have limited down my options to 2 and a half...the Wild Adventure K2 Explorer (sorry can't post link) and the Sea Eagle 330 or 370 (same as 330 but slightly longer).

What I am looking for is a boat I can experiment with and try on different types of water to see what I like. I think I will like rough water much more than calm, but I still want to be able to track on flatwater. I live by a few somewhat rocky rivers and LAKE ERIE. I want something versatile in terms of size too. I want something that can fit one or two people in, but that also can fit into a large frame backpack. I want something durable enough too.

I like the look of the Sea Eagle better and the reputation of the manufacturer, yet at the same time the Explorer is made of the same material of Sea Eagle's $1,000 yaks!

Some questions for people with experience of either of these boats. Please answer any you can help with!:

1) Which boat is better for whitewater and up to what class can it handle? I wish to do at least III maybe IV. Will the Sea Eagle be able to handle sharp rocks and pointy sticks and low floors without being punctured?
    2) Will the K2 Explorer be able to fit in a large backpack? Will the SE 370?
    3) Which accessories (paddles, pumps, etc.) are better?
    4) Which will be faster in flatwater?
    5) Will I get much more wet in the K2 rather than the Sea Eagle?
    6) Which selfbailing/drain valves are better for whitewater?
    7) Which is more comfortable? BTW I would buy SE Pro seats, so the good ones
    8) Sea Eagle 330 vs. 370 in whitewater. Does the longer size make the boat too unmanuverable?

Which is better? ahh! help!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

-Ariel

I have never had any experience of a K2, my other inflatable is an advanced elements convertible.
    The Eagle is a fantastic canoe, very well built - easily capable of white water. It is very tough and will take what you want to throw at it. It's major limitation is rough open water in windy conditions; it is almost uncontrollable in these conditions. I have paddle it in 8 inches of water on a river 12 feet across and it was very agile but that was not on white water. I am not sure how any canoe will perform on white water conditions, that would depend on the canoe, the water and the canoeist. As I said it is a very tough piece if kit that I am confident will take all the punishment you want to throw at it, I still have mine and if I just want fun then its what I take onto the water. The Advanced elements is much, much better for open/rough water and longer distances and as I said I don't know anything of the K2 i'm afraid.
    You will get very wet in white water whatever you have.
    The Se 370 will NOT fit in a back pack - unless you are 8 feet tall and have a back pack to fit!
    The self-bailing valves don't actually seem to make much of a difference but as I said I haven't been on white water with it.
    The SE seats are comfy but unstable in some conditions. Your center of gravity is much higher, making the boat unstable - easy to topple over. I tend not to use the seats in rougher waters as I am much lower in the boat and so am 'level' with the water.
    No idea if the 330 is better in terms of manoeuvrability I just know the 370 can turn 360 degrees on half its length which is way more manoeuvrable than most canoes. Way better than the advanced elements - thats why it's so much fun.
    Don't know how much help that is to you.
    Oh pumps and paddles.... the pump with the Sea Eagle is excellent as is the paddles BUT the paddles you want/need will be down to you and experience. I still have the originals but I don't do white water but I have done 12 mile canoeing in one day on a loch and found the paddles to be superb.

Andy
    Last edited by andymce; 11th-August-2011 at 03:48 AM.

Just read the reply regarding the Sea Eagle being 'unstable in windy conditions' I have been out in very windy conditions & not found my Fast Track in the least unstable. It tracks very well with the skeg & inflatable tube in the front. I'm in the process of trying to make a sail kit for it using an old sailboard mast & sail, had some good runs downwind using a couple of large poundland umbrella's .
    As for carrying it in a back pack I think you would need a very big one, the boat weighs about 23 kgs + the pump, paddles & seats (we have the pro seats which aren't that heavy but take up a lot of space)
    Ed

Well up to you, I dont have a 'fast track', I have a Sea Eagle 370 Se and it is very, very unstable in open water in windy conditions but with another Sea eagle boat perhaps it is otherwise. The 'fast track' does look to sit lower in the water so perhaps Konitki should have taken account of that. I have no experience of this boat. Does kontiki has experience of a Sea Eagle 370?
    I can only go by mines and my brothers experience-individually and together-the sea eagle is unstable in open water in windy and turbulent conditions (only in these conditions) - we have both spent numerous hours on the lochs and rivers in Scotland so we have real experience of proper windy conditions. The advanced elements would be almost unaffected but the sea eagle 370 SE does sit high in the water and IS subject to wind and turbulence. If your doing white water rafting then this wont be a problem.

EStreetr04 was asking about the Sea Eagle Fast Track, can't comment on any other Sea Eagle boats. The Fast Track is very low in the water, in the sea in waves it can get quite wet in the front. It is also quite wide giving it good stability, it possible to stand up & paddle (tried it on flat water but I doubt my balance would be good enough in rough water. The FT also has a blow up keel section at the front & along with the skeg this probably helps to keep it going where you want. I haven't noticed any problem at all with side winds.

Apart from kayaks I have had a Metzler inflatable canoe, I bought this from somebody I worked with around 1975 (it was quite a few years old even then) threw it away probably around 2000 as the rubber was starting to perish. Although this sat higher in the water than the FT385 it wasn't greatly affected by wind, possibly as it was quite heavy.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by kontiki View Post
    EStreetr04 was asking about the Sea Eagle Fast Track, can't comment on any other Sea Eagle boats. The Fast Track is very low in the water, in the sea in waves it can get quite wet in the front. It is also quite wide giving it good stability, it possible to stand up & paddle (tried it on flat water but I doubt my balance would be good enough in rough water. The FT also has a blow up keel section at the front & along with the skeg this probably helps to keep it going where you want. I haven't noticed any problem at all with side winds.

Apart from kayaks I have had a Metzler inflatable canoe, I bought this from somebody I worked with around 1975 (it was quite a few years old even then) threw it away probably around 2000 as the rubber was starting to perish. Although this sat higher in the water than the FT385 it wasn't greatly affected by wind, possibly as it was quite heavy.
    I was replying to ArielTRV who asked about the Sea Eagle 330 which is essentially the same as the 370.

I was replying in regard to your post to EStreetr04 'Unable to PM' as they were asking about the Fast Track compared to the Advanced Elements. Haven't any knowledge of the 330 or 370 so couldn't offer any advice to ArielTRV.
    Ed

Default Post 2

Post 2

Default Thanks for the help! Bought the K2 Explorer...

It just seems like a more versatile, higher quality boat than the Sea Eagle lower end boats (330 and 370). Looking for paddles now as the ones included
    (three of them!) are supposed to be garbage. Looking at breakdown paddles. How do these compare?

1. http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Delux...g_bs_3414061_2
    2. http://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Rounded-Blade-Paddle-96-Inch/dp/B004D34EQ6/ref=zg_bs_3414061_4

Want a good, cheap, under $40, but all around paddle that I can use on flatwater, open water, whitewater (up to Class III maybe even IV), etc.

Thanks!

-Ariel

You might be better asking the question about paddles in the general section, you are more likely to get information on what are the best options. The ones we got with the Fast Track Pro seem to be ok but looking at the price they are on the website the price is $95 each.
    Ed

hi all does anyone know how good the older sevylor riviera is there are some brand new ones being sold on ebay at the moment very cheaply. i already use a sevylor ranger and im very happy with it but im tempted to buy a riviera aswell

Quote Originally Posted by ArielTRV View Post
    Post 2
    I have that Shoreline one, works just fine for me.

I bought a Canyon recently and heard some horror stories about it leaking badly. I have to say at this point that there has been some destinction drawn between the 2011 model and those that have come before. I have the 2011 model. I took it out for a short test run today (with my kids) and we all came back dry. After spending about half an hour or so on the water the boat had accumilated about a cup full of water. This was only noticed when we were deflating the boat and the floor insert had been taken out.

I used my single blade paddle while kneeling in the boat. It was very hard (but not impossible) to keep on a straight line because the boat sits on top of the water. I think any future use will involve a double blade paddle.

So my first impression is that this was a good buy for 130 delivered. If you are looking for an entry level inflatable with the ease of transportation and storage that comes with inflatables this might be the boat for you. I intend to stuff it into a large travel bag along with a collapsable paddle and take it on my next beach holiday. By the time I have spent 10 hours in it instead of hiring at he beach it will have paid for itself.

I'll put on another update when I've taken it for a longer trip.

Quote Originally Posted by smithj View Post
    I bought a Canyon recently and heard some horror stories about it leaking badly. I have to say at this point that there has been some destinction drawn between the 2011 model and those that have come before. I have the 2011 model. I took it out for a short test run today (with my kids) and we all came back dry. After spending about half an hour or so on the water the boat had accumilated about a cup full of water. This was only noticed when we were deflating the boat and the floor insert had been taken out.

I used my single blade paddle while kneeling in the boat. It was very hard (but not impossible) to keep on a straight line because the boat sits on top of the water. I think any future use will involve a double blade paddle.

So my first impression is that this was a good buy for 130 delivered. If you are looking for an entry level inflatable with the ease of transportation and storage that comes with inflatables this might be the boat for you. I intend to stuff it into a large travel bag along with a collapsable paddle and take it on my next beach holiday. By the time I have spent 10 hours in it instead of hiring at he beach it will have paid for itself.

I'll put on another update when I've taken it for a longer trip.

so on the maiden voyage it leaked a cup full of water in half an hour

when it has been rolled up and inflated a couple of times the leak will probably fix itself and the boat will no longer leak as its a 2012,13,14 model

or then again it wont

as for the double paddle you' ll get wet from above as well as below

i look forward to your updates

Quote Originally Posted by EStreeter04 View Post
    Hello there
    I'm in the process of deciding which inflatable kayak to buy and the 2 which interest me most are the Sea Eagle Fast Track 385 and the Advanced Elements Advanced Frame convertible. As it seems you may have experience of both should be grateful for your thoughts on each of these. I plan to use mine solo and tandem, and on rivers, lakes and coastal as my experience increases.
    Thanks in anticipation!

Advanced elements advanced frame. I have 2 of these and on the sea lakes and rivers they do not blow about on the wind.

The advance frame is tough and very well built. They track very well .

I use mine for some sea fishing and sometimes it has been quite rough at times but still feels very stable.
    Paddling against the wind is about the same as a hard shell Kayak.
    But only weigh 16kg i weight.

Heavy duty pvc bladders covered but a ripstop material makes for an easy to maintain Kayak.

Also there are many additional items that can be made and easy fitted. including D rings Very easy to customise to suit whatever you wish to do with it.
    A great all round Kayak..

Hi i'm new and was wondering if the ZPro Pioneer or the Revylor Riviera for 2 people would be suitable for a week on the norfolk broads as I don't want to spend over 200 in total.

Default Airfusion -Advanced Elements-

Hi Everyone!

I recently bought an Airfusion after 10 years without paddling.

Since I was more interested in tracking and speed rather than stability I though this would be the ideal choice to me. I have to admit I've never tried a inflatable one before (I used to do sea kayaking when I was younger) but I'm very happy with it.

It takes around 30 minutes to built it up (you have to assembly the aluminium poles to create a proper frame, and then inflate several high and low pressure chambers). So a bit annoying if you compare the time you need with other models.... but, on the other hand....it behaves fantastic!!!

It's narrower than other inflatables so you can paddle with a better technique, I was paddling when raining last weekend, and no problems at all, very stable, tracks well.... all good things. Only complain I could have, and probably because of my background, it's I would love a version of it in 17 ft....that and... it won't give you too much space for gear.

Hope to see you soon in the river!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Juanma View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I recently bought an Airfusion after 10 years without paddling.

Since I was more interested in tracking and speed rather than stability I though this would be the ideal choice to me. I have to admit I've never tried a inflatable one before (I used to do sea kayaking when I was younger) but I'm very happy with it.

It takes around 30 minutes to built it up (you have to assembly the aluminium poles to create a proper frame, and then inflate several high and low pressure chambers). So a bit annoying if you compare the time you need with other models.... but, on the other hand....it behaves fantastic!!!

It's narrower than other inflatables so you can paddle with a better technique, I was paddling when raining last weekend, and no problems at all, very stable, tracks well.... all good things. Only complain I could have, and probably because of my background, it's I would love a version of it in 17 ft....that and... it won't give you too much space for gear.

Hope to see you soon in the river!!!

Well you won't go wrong with the Advanced Elements range .
    Safe and loads of fun.
    Have a great time with it.

Hi Sonar- got any pics of your AE kayak? I've got a colorado and thinking on having a kayak for the car boot.. I just love things that fold up.

This is a useful review site, it's American but most of the boats are available worldwide.

http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/...atable-kayaks/
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Hi all

We only just took up paddling as a family. For our week in the broads we bought 2 Sevylor Riviera from Decathlon. Price 99 each including paddle (1 double per boat), and repair kit.

They worked fine, very convenient. Bit difficult to steer properly especially when windy. Made for a very enjoyable week.

Cheers.

Hi All
    After long deliberation and reading posts from here and paddler.net I decided it was the 2 man Gumotex Sunny/Solar that I needed.
    Sourced an unused mk1 from e bay - Paid more than I would have liked because somebody else was equally determined to win it but I got it in the end.
    Have had a twin skeg made (patterns from a web site) and have modified the seat attachments with "D" rings on the pontoons to replicate the mk3.
    Me and the missus took it out on our maiden voyage at Broadsands beach. Despite our inexperience we found the paddling very easy (must be naturals). We had a glorious couple of hours paddling in the bay, hugging the coastline, eventually ending up at Brixham. The Sunny tracked very well and was as fast as other hard decks around. Packs up in 5 minutes and dries off very quickly with the wipe of a cloth.
    I am 60 next year but can't wait for our next paddle, but only in the sunshine....

Quote Originally Posted by paddlerbob View Post
    Hi All
    After long deliberation and reading posts from here and paddler.net I decided it was the 2 man Gumotex Sunny/Solar that I needed.
    Sourced an unused mk1 from e bay - Paid more than I would have liked because somebody else was equally determined to win it but I got it in the end.
    Have had a twin skeg made (patterns from a web site) and have modified the seat attachments with "D" rings on the pontoons to replicate the mk3.
    Me and the missus took it out on our maiden voyage at Broadsands beach. Despite our inexperience we found the paddling very easy (must be naturals). We had a glorious couple of hours paddling in the bay, hugging the coastline, eventually ending up at Brixham. The Sunny tracked very well and was as fast as other hard decks around. Packs up in 5 minutes and dries off very quickly with the wipe of a cloth.
    I am 60 next year but can't wait for our next paddle, but only in the sunshine....
    SOunds great! Congrats on your new arrival!
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Glad you finally managed to get fixed up, I have not regretted buying an inflatable they are so handy, I have taken it on 2 holidays this year and used it both times the last was on the River Cam playing with the punts in Cambridge. Because they are so stable I have got my better half boating for the first time at 65 and she loves it.
    "Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"
    Grp Cpt Sir Douglas Bader CBE,DSO,DFC,FRAeS.

Hi,
    I'm looking to buy an inflatable kayak so that my husband, our 9yo daughter and I can go paddling together. We'd be using it on rivers - ie the Wye - and lakes. I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like to buy something that's going to last a while; and that preferably can be used solo as well as by 2/3 people, if possible. I have no experience of inflatable kayaks so have joined this forum in the hopes of seeking some advice

After researching online, the three kayaks that seem to meet my preferences are:
    Sevylor Hudson
    ZPRO Tango TA300
    Sea Eagle 370

I've found quite a few reviews/comments from people who have Hudsons and love them, but less on the Tango and Sea Eagle. If any of you have any of these kayaks and could perhaps give me any insight into what they're like, or if you have had experience of more than one and could give me a comparison, it would be very much appreciated. Even insight into why you may have chosen one over the other would be very helpful - or if you know of a better option I've not found yet

I appreciate that's a lot of questions, but any comments would be most appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation..
    Kate

Hi Kontiki Hard to believe I've had my Sea Eagle FT385 for almost 2 years now, although due to work and poor weather I've probably not been out in it more than a dozen times. Have had it out on coastal waters around St Bees, Cumbria, a couple of times in the last month. Seemed quite hard going compared with hard shells I've tried. However, for whatever reason I've not used the skeg on either occasion (though I always use it on the lakes) so am going to fit it next time as I found it quite difficult to keep straight in side winds. Also you mention using the inflatable tube in the front and I think I'll get one of those an give it a go as they're relatively inexpensive. How has it gone with using a sail? I have in mind perhaps next year when funds allow to treat myself to a Wind Paddle sail. Looks very compact and unintrusive, and the videos give the impression of it being very effective. Need to try to sort out a drysuit, too, if I'm going to continue with coastal paddling. It was very helpful to ready your post and that you use the skeg and tube - has helped to crystallise my own thoughts a bit! Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by kontiki View Post
    Just read the reply regarding the Sea Eagle being 'unstable in windy conditions' I have been out in very windy conditions & not found my Fast Track in the least unstable. It tracks very well with the skeg & inflatable tube in the front. I'm in the process of trying to make a sail kit for it using an old sailboard mast & sail, had some good runs downwind using a couple of large poundland umbrella's .
    As for carrying it in a back pack I think you would need a very big one, the boat weighs about 23 kgs + the pump, paddles & seats (we have the pro seats which aren't that heavy but take up a lot of space)

Hi Andymce are you still enjoying your Sea Eagle? I still have a wonderful photo you sent me when I was first buying mine. You'll see from my recent posts that I've ventured out on to the sea a couple of times with mine now, but disappointing results so far, but that could be down to me not fitting the skeg. When I did a sea kayaking beginners course at the end of last year our hard shells didn't have skegs deployed so I thought I wouldn't need mine, but think I was wrong because the boat didn't behave at all well, which is unusual. Found I can also get a buoyancy chamber thingy to put in the front which I believe as well as raising the bow also helps to keep water out of that end more, which again should improve performance and handling; its relatively inexpensive so probably worth a try. Anyway overall really loving my Sea Eagle FT385. It seems very durable and I have great confidence in it, and of course its a doddle to get into the water and to pack away afterwards. All the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by andymce View Post
    Hi there,
    On my first post it would like it to be understood that I have been trekking for many years but I am very new to canoeing and as such should be treated with the relevant pity.
    I recently bought a Sea Eagle canoe and this thread seems to be the one to mention it in. (I dont have the storage space for a hard case (as much as I want one-and I really want one) and I dont have the money for a folding canoe.) Me and my son have been out in it a couple of times in earnest, once on Loch Awe and another time on my local river. I bought this as a cheap stop-gap till my advanced elements convertible arrived from America and so far it has been really impressive. It has two skegs which really helps me try to keep it on the straight, there is a fair amount of storage space (plenty of room for the two man tent, sleeping bags, stove, food, water, etc), it is very comfortable. It goes up easy and deflates in a matter of seconds. I have bumped into some 'hazards'-sharp pointy ones-and not a mark! I am looking forward to my advanced elements but I am having a lot of fun with the Sea Eagle canoe, as did my skeptical brothers on a recent paddle on the Clyde. They enjoyed it so much they want to do a tour of a loch or two, taking the camping gear and making a very long weekend of it. The advanced elements will be here by the weekend, and I will be heading out a day or two after it arrives. I will post a report on how it goes.

Hi. I've got a Tango 300 which I regularly over inflate without any apparent damage. I use it exclusively in the Med where the temp on the beach is often over 35 centigrade and the water temperature 10-15 degrees lower so after 10 minutes in the water after pumping to normal temperatures its pretty floppy (It's better if there's shade to pump it up in). It's generally pretty difficult to find an easy spot in the sea to pump it back up again especially when loaded up with camping gear so I've been slowly experimenting with over inflating it before putting it in the water. Generally these days I pump it to 2.3psi and it then cools to about 1.8psi. Obviously this is way higher than the manufacturers recommendations but I reckon the're playing safe to cover themselves and the stitching/seams/zips show no signs of deterioration. I think a lot of people with inflatables have learnt to over presurize a bit but not many as much as me. Without the extra presure I find the Tango's a bit dead in the water but when it stays rigid it's fantastic. At the weekend we were out in 45kph winds with 4 meter swells without any problems.

Of course I take no responsibility for any damage to kayaks resulting from people reading this post. Pedandi

31. Default

Hello, I bought myself the Sea Eagle 370 and I hope to pick it up this weekend. This is my first Kayak and decided to get this boat based on the reviews and videos available. One of the reasons I got this boat is that its big enough for me and my wife to paddle together and that it can be used solo as well. Dont plan on doing ocean paddling just yet and if we get the paddle bug I will look into getting a better inflatable that can handle ocean conditions. Being a newbie with inflatables my only concern is the rugeness of this boat. Just how tough is this PVC 80 with 38mil thickness material is? I have no clue what those numbers mean.

I don't know what the numbers mean, either, but Sea Eagle is a reputable make. My experience with other inflatables is, they cope well with, for example, bouncing off rocks or scraping over gravel. (If you do much of that, check the skin carefully afterwards.) I always try to avoid barbed wire, broken glass etc, which would be a hazard.

One tip; inflate your boat to the recommended pressure. But once you put it into cold water, you may find that it will soften. So take your pump along in case you want to top-up the air. Happy paddling!

Mary
    Not in Oxford any more...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12