Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Yukon & Nomad Fireboxes

...and we used ours for the first time today having ordered it just a week or so ago. In combination with a Kelly Kettle (with a coffee pot on top, towering inferno!) it burned really good and hot, got the coffee done and water boiled just as quick as the dedicated kelly kettle burner, with the bonus of freshly cooked sausages at the same time!

Super little stove, no scorching on the grass, and chris is a really nice bloke to do business with - so if there is anyone left on this forum without one of his fireboxes, you know what to do...

Default Titanium Yukons

A few folk have emailed about Yukons in titanium and when I will have them in stock. Previously I was able to find titanium sheet at less than "market price" but I'm now having problems finding material at a price where I can produce them for anything less than £200 when the costs of cutting are included! I'll keep looking and hopefully will come up with a supplier.

thanks for your patience.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

.....And my yakon came very quick, thanks for that speedy dispatch chris! and it was certainly one of the talking points of our 3 night trip on the waveney.
    some of the lads will be placing orders with you chris ! we where all very impressed with the yakon, even lighting her up for a lunch time break on the bank with afew sausages and a brew with the kelly kettle ! the top plate for the kelly is a great idea and a must if u have a kelly kettle.
    thanks chris!

Leicester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Great bit of kit Got the trivet from Homebase to go with it and the top plate to house the kelly kettle. All systems go for my new autumn / winter camping set-up ...

Thanks Chris.

Just sorting a bit of velcro for the bag, to save loosing the pins.

Default Yukon Rumblings

I have had a few Super Yukons cut in the UK. After the first prototype -pictured here

I reduced the number of side tabs but made them longer to make it less fiddly to assemble and moved the location of the holes slightly to reduce warping. I haven't got a picture of the new design as they are only in the UK but it really isn't very different!

They are the same width as the original Yukon so the top plate will fit on, allowing it and a kettle to be used on the back with room for a pot at the front.

As it is a new design I would like to put a couple up for sale below cost to existing Yukoners. How does the same price as an HD Yukon plus postage sound? £55 should be about right to cover the additional weight charges.

Let me know if you are interested and I can PM you my PayPal address.

I am also looking at some more Ti Yukons. I am struggling to get the cost below £150 though. I'd be interested to hear what folk think before committing the money on the material and laser cutting.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Nice. I am going to resist the need for one.

Fran

Chris you have a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randall View Post
    I am also looking at some more Ti Yukons. I am struggling to get the cost below £150 though. I'd be interested to hear what folk think before committing the money on the material and laser cutting.
    don't do this
    i've been eyeing your order page for ages to see if the ti yukon would come back and this would be way too hard to resist. i'd be hoping for a price closer to 100 but not sure i'd have enough self constraint...

I am trying to work a way round getting a few cut more cheaply from some off cuts I have. It is super complicated working it all out when I am 4000 miles away as I have to get the laser cutter to cut the right pieces from the right sheet. They have been know to get it wrong in the past costing me a several Yukons worth of material.

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

if you ever offer them in titanium again i'll be first in line to order. their price may hurt but i don't think i'd be able to resist. using off cuts sounds good as long as they don't produce too much waste. i'm sure the distance doesn't make things easy. it shows a lot of dedication that you are still offering them despite the difficulties.

Excellent. I must resist.
    Covering as many malmiles as possible before being distracted by the pub!

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Thanks to the folk who bought the Super Yukons. I have added them to the canoepaddler website now.

Still struggling to sort Ti Yukons but am getting some more Ti Nomads cut as I had been sending them back to the UK from my stash here in Canada. As this was costing me a fortune in postage it seemed sensible to get them done.

Am also having some Yukons cut here in Canada at last so that I can offer the HD version in North America.

Going camping tonight. Homemade tent and a big wood stove. Have made a big tobogan to haul it into the woods. Lets hope it stays above -20 or my car may not start in the morning!

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeyblue View Post
    Super little stove, no scorching on the grass, and chris is a really nice bloke to do business with - so if there is anyone left on this forum without one of his fireboxes, you know what to do...
    I have to second that, Chris is a nice man to deal with. I have the privilege of testing one of the new Super Yukons and trialling it with an international search and rescue agency http://www.saraid.org.uk/

I will publish our test when done.
    Keltoi and associates - The sick and the wrong!

Hi Chris.

I was up in a mountain forest area today and realised that with with 4 kids and me (not forgetting wife , dog an lots of friends). the Yukon just can't hack it. I need a super one!

Oder on its way.

How is the knife I sold you holding up? all stil working well I hope.

Alan L.

Don't turn your back on the kids or they'll have you tied up and turning on a roasting spit before you know it! Thanks for the order.

The F1 has been on plenty of trips and gathered many admiring glances. Definitely the knife of choice for camping trips though it often only sees use to prepare food as last summer was so dry we had no need to make kindling or split wood. The forest here is just full of dead dry wood that makes fire lighting a breeze, not like the damp willow that lines most river banks in the UK!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Juno2 View Post
    Hi Chris.

I was up in a mountain forest area today and realised that with with 4 kids and me (not forgetting wife , dog an lots of friends). the Yukon just can't hack it. I need a super one!

Oder on its way.

How is the knife I sold you holding up? all stil working well I hope.

Alan L.

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Hi made a little gear review of the super Yukon hope ist usefull. Everyone should have one of these boxes cant rate them high enough
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...r-Yukon-review

just got one
    its fab thanks Chris

mick

Having a few problems with the titanium Nomads. The laser cutter made a hash of the work, leaving some of the slots uncut. Unfortunately being in Canada I didn't find out about it until some months later so not much I can do about it. It is one of the risks with supplying your own materials and one of the reasons why many places are unwilling to do it. Hopefully will get it sorted in the next week or two.

I have some more Ti back in the UK for Nomads and Yukons but am having a few issues getting them cut. Any volunteers? There would be a Ti Yukon in it for anyone willing to take on the job of sorting this out!

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Chris, I'm out paddling at the moment but i'll PM you later with some people who may be able to help.

Jon.
    The SotP Wedding
    Selway Fisher Peterborough 15' - 21Kgs
    FU-BCU Level 2 (Owns a canoe and gets out there and enjoys themselves)

Chris, I know a great guy on the CNC / Machine / Engineering side - I will point him to the thread and see if he can help
    Nobody cares what phone you posted from

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraft paddler View Post
    Chris, I know a great guy on the CNC / Machine / Engineering side - I will point him to the thread and see if he can help
    Not sure about the 'great', but here I am!

I have access to a few mills etc. If you're interested email some details and I'll see what I can do. FYI I'm based in east London.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Not sure about the 'great', but here I am!

I have access to a few mills etc. If you're interested email some details and I'll see what I can do. FYI I'm based in east London.
    Hey the engine on my first Land Rover was the only thing that worked without fault
    Nobody cares what phone you posted from

Thanks for the offers. Will have to try to work out the logistics. I have the Ti sitting in a shed near Northampton but I lost the list of what grades and dimensions they all are. Once I have worked a way to find this out I can start talking to a new laser cutting firm about the best options that don't end up costing me money in the long term. It is easy to waste material. With steel it doesn't matter but with titanium it can get expensive!

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Default Titanium Fireboxes

So at last I have sorted some more titanium fireboxes!

Bit of a struggle working out the best options to get the most boxes cut from the mixture of sheets sizes but hopefully I have come up with a variety of sizes so there will be something for everyone!

Working on the theory that these boxes are for for folk trying to save weight on portages etc. rather than cooking out of the back of the car on the local caravan club site I looked at ways to save weight and have left out the upper slotted base plate on the Yukons which brings the weight down to around 850g plus as I had some thinner 1mm sheet I have made a narrower Yukon, 15cm wide, which weighs only 550g.

With some 0.8mm sheet I have made a few extended Nomads, 21cm long compared to the std. Nomad at 13cm. You could fit a couple of small zebra billies on top or use the extra volume to load up a few more sticks for a longer burning fire. It weighs 275g

Nomad XT on the left Yukon mini on the right.

I have only a few of each of these designs so probably won't bother putting them on my website. I don't expect to be making any more titanium fireboxes (except for Nomads) as it just ties up too much capital in materials. Plus I don't think I can afford to lose any more hair than this has already cost me...

Price inc. shipping

Yukon- ₤95
    Yukon Mini- ₤75
    Nomad XT- ₤65

Please send a PM if you are interested or would like a price for shipping outside the UK. I'm happy to ship to Europe or North America or anywhere with a reliable postal service!

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Realised that I never got round to posting any pics of the Yukon mini in action.

This is with my shiny new 12 cm Zebra billy that I smuggled back from the UK. I was pleased to find that by switching out the handle for a cable it would nest inside the Zebra kettle.

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Journal Entries

Chris; If I wanted one for Glamping could you make me a 4 burner model of your super duper Yukon? something about twice the size that I can feed 10-20 people on? Like an "X" brace with 3.5 sides? And how about a reflector oven that breaks, down big enough for 2 pies that could sit at the open end?

I can do this stuff myself but your laser cut work is great and right now I do not have my workshop set up, plus I like to support the membership (especially if they are better than me at something ).
    Lloyd

I never pay attention to anything by "experts". I calculate everything myself.
    Richard Feynman.

www.senseaboutscience.org

Depends on how much of a hurry you are in?

I have been asked this before but have been very busy over the summer trying to earn enough to pay my university fees this winter, plus I have acquired some new CAD software which I have been too lazy to fully learn how to use yet i.e. it takes me ages to do anything!

but yes something could be sorted. It may even work out easier to send the drawings to a laser cutter near you than pay for the shipping.

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Ti Yukon ordered :-) I'll have wait until my birthday to play with it though...I might have to order a Ti nomad for the meantime...

Nomad XT arrived and it is luverly :-) Just waiting for the rain to go away now...

Heads up for Christmas. If you are thinking of asking Santa for a firebox you should be writing that letter sooner than you think. The shipping dept. in Northampton are heading down under at the start of December and won't be back until the New Year. Don't want to be getting phone calls from angry elves two weeks before the due date so please place orders in plenty of time!

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

The UK branch have returned with all limbs intact from their crocodile wrestling excursion down under so we're taking orders again. Just in time really as I have sewing machine repairs to pay for.

titaniummmm... you know you want it!

Chris

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234